I wouldn't bother me as much if the feathered wings were on a later model. Like Deathscythe, there's a certain psychological aspect to it. But Wing Zero was supposed to be the prototype from which all the other Gundams were derived. Why does a prototype have freaking angel wings? What purpose could they possibly serve? Why do they have such an organic look? Why do they flap (and what good is flapping in space? And even if I accept that, for some reason, the doctors decided that organic-looking flapping angel wings with little movable feathers on the edges was cool, those feathers should definitely NOT fall off and flutter around it IN SPACE.

I've always found the Wing Zero stupid in general. Actually, the entire lineage of mobile suits in Wing is stupid. Actually, Wing as a whole is stupid. Which is why I can forgive the show's lack of answers to any of your EXTREMELY legitimate questions. But for my part:

Why does the prototype have angel wings? Because Wing is dumb.

What purpose do they serve? Looking cool.

Why do they have an organic look? Because that looks cool. (Though I wish they would look even more organic, and in fact replacing the entire wing assembly from the mechanical arm attaching it to the back down to the wing tips with a fully-feathered chicken wing endoskeleton was one of my ideas for a scratchbuild at one point.)

Why do they flap in space? Because that's cool.

Why do the feathers fall off in space? Because that's cool. (But also it could just be due to the movement of the wings "shedding" feathers. Mostly though it's for stylistic effect. Actual feathers don't fall out with nearly the same frequency as anime feathers. Can you imagine how exhausting it would be to have to generate new feathers every couple seconds or so because half of them fall off with every single wing flap?)

It's almost as if Gundam Wing was a bad, boring show whose popularity stems not from being good but from being a whole generation of American kids' introduction to Gundam...

Demon wings on a mobile suit inspired by the grim reaper for psychological effect? It's hardly the more "realistic" military look I prefer, but at least it doesn't have feathers.

It's not even for psychological effect; they have actual defensive and stealth uses in-universe. How cloth/membranous wings stop artillery and beam weapons or actively jam radar systems is another question entirely, and only adds to the "why and how does anything here work" mystique of the EW OAV.

Edited by kajnrig

I'm totally ok with the explanation that the Wing Zero has wings because they look cool. ^_^

Building the MG Hi-Nu Ver Ka. at the moment. it is an ok kit but I still prefer the regular Nu Gundam. The visible psycho frame is just too cool and the transformation is much more evolved than the leg flaps the Hi-Nu has. I also think that the Hi-Nu could make better use of the different shades of white and only has one other accent color. The Nu Gundam is more fun to look at. In addition I prefer the markings on the Nu Gundam. I'm also missing the splinter camo on the Hi-Nu shield.

It is a fun build though. An because I build the Nu Gundam two years ago I don't remember much from that build. :D

hello? what is this... is that better than perfect grade

It's a new 1/100 line. The frame comes pre-assembled (I think) and includes diecast metal parts, and the runners of plastic armor parts receive a metallic/pearl coating. It's more detailed than the previously-released 1/100, with more moving parts (especially the pistons) and probably increased articulation as well.

Guest davidwhangchoi

It's a new 1/100 line. The frame comes pre-assembled (I think) and includes diecast metal parts, and the runners of plastic armor parts receive a metallic/pearl coating. It's more detailed than the previously-released 1/100, with more moving parts (especially the pistons) and probably increased articulation as well.

thx!!

Here are a few Gunpla kits I assembled over the past week. First off is the HGUC RX-78NT-1 Gundam NT1 from 2004. Compared to the original 1989 kit, this one has a significantly slimmer profile and the Chobham Armor is not as clunky.

gundamnt121_zpslm58fneq.jpg

gundamnt122_zpsapfpn9wr.jpg

Next is the new HGUC RX-178 Gundam Mk-II [Titans] Revive. Compared to the original 2002 kit, it's slimmer, much more articulated, more solidly built, and does a better job at hiding nub marks due to better parts design and gate placement. In addition, the colors are different as well - whereas the 2002 kit uses a charcoal color for the black parts, those in the Revive kit are completely black.

mk2titans11_zpskpxr1zll.jpg

mk2titans12_zpspse5bue4.jpg

mk2titans13_zpsif7r3dke.jpg

On one side note, it is not possible for an easy swap to Build Gundam Mk-II due to a different chest design. The Build Booster Mk-II will still fit, though.

You know, from A7's Revive RX-78 and Mk. II, and my own experience with the Guncannon, I'm digging the Revive series. For display purposes, I still like the RG line better (hence why I skipped the RX-78 and the Mk II), but the kits are just so solid and posable. Like building an action figure. I can't wait for Quebeley.

Finally got my hands on the most (over)hyped Gunpla in the HGBF line. Despite the mixed reviews, Super Fumina is not that bad. The gate placement of the parts enables very minimal nub marks. The kit makes good use of rubber parts for the headband and apron. As the biggest complaint about the kit is the huge sticker sheet, I prepared a bottle of Mr. Color #63 Pink for the cycling shorts and a trusty Gundam Marker panel line pen for the eyelashes. For now, I won't be using the contact lenses, as those are easy to lose.

As far as issues go, mine has difficulty standing up - even without the backpack on. It could be a combination of weak ankle joints and top-heavy weight, but until I solve this issue, she'll be using the clear display stand.

superfumina01_zpsqlks43mw.jpg

superfumina02_zpspzvkdav2.jpg

superfumina06_zps5nljgfpv.jpg

superfumina07_zpswhwe77pd.jpg

Edited by areaseven

Finally done with my MG RX-78-02 Gundam The Origin. In terms of detail and articulation, it slots between the Ver.2.0 and Ver.3.0 of the MG RX-78-2 Gundam. However, the opening shoulder flaps enable greater arm range. For the eyes, you're given the option to use either clear or yellow parts. Just like the Ver.3.0, there is room for an LED unit, and the instruction manual has an order form for either the yellow or pink unit (the latter for those who want theirs to be manga accurate). The only downside is a weak connector on the Hyper Bazooka for the back skirt, which should have been equipped with a clip like most other Gundams.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin already impressed Gunpla collectors with the HG lineup, and the series' first MG entry is off to a good start. Now all we need is a Char's Zaku II to go with this Gundam.

gundamorigin01_zps3gaksgoy.jpg

gundamorigin02_zpsc8ancumi.jpg

gundamorigin03_zps8mip7qtm.jpg

gundamorigin11_zpsphys6xoa.jpg

post-600-0-92931000-1452829610_thumb.jpg

Heh my big week long project. second time I built this one and this time I did it better. holding together a lot better than the first time. Still though, what a pain in the ass to transform but not nearly as difficult as Zeta.

Guest davidwhangchoi

attachicon.gif12509551_10208353701457182_1464915747087720501_n.jpg

Heh my big week long project. second time I built this one and this time I did it better. holding together a lot better than the first time. Still though, what a pain in the ass to transform but not nearly as difficult as Zeta.

Ooooo nice i had that a long time ago. my first MG ever. the ads were so cool looking. nice Hikuro!

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Will the scented ones work or should I just stick with the plain one?

I don't know. I've never used anything other than the plain one. I imagine the scented one would work just as well, with the added benefit of perfuming the kit...? (Check the ingredient list, if there is one.)

Seconded. Or at least a Revive HG. The regular HG is just too old now, and looks sort of chunky and out of place.

Chunky is just fine in my book. I never did like the trend towards "sleek" and skinny profiles. It was nice when the EW suits were completely redesigned and the slimness was integrated into them, but the HG 1/100 X and Double X look better than the MGs despite their age, IMO. Same thing with the HG Strike going to the RG Strike, and original MG to RM MG.

But to each their own. A new Alex tooling in general would be nice.

Katofication in progress...

24392127736_6e12672ae2_z.jpg

I like the HGUC's proportions better than the MG's, but I still had to add 2 mm at the mid-body part.

Didn't you do the HGUC Victory over at HF a while back? If that one's anything to go by, this one'll look great. Best of luck with all those decals! ;)