Well, Syd's a busy man. He's been caught up in a move for awhile, and he's like half of HLJ's marketing and PR team at this point. Also, warehouse work and a daughter.

Presumably many of these same factors hold true for the other major gunpla reviewers who have fallen off the radar.

I like HobbyLink.TV, though they usually don't go into the depth that Rrobbert184 or Prime92 do. There's also Vegeta8259, who does less review and more tutorial. I do agree about Prime92. His reviews are decent, but would it kill him to stop using that audio filter? He could put his real voice in videos and we'd still have no idea who he is, nor any desire to find out. (I hate YouTube people who are into anonymity. There are 7 billion people, and you think people are gonna be able to pick you out of that crowd just because we know what you sound like over a potato camera?)

I'd also recommend 2Old4Toys, but he's not very active either. You might be best sticking with text reviews a la Good Guy Dan and Gaijin Gunpla (Syd from HLJ). Video gunpla reviews seem to have fallen by the wayside.

I also subscribe to HobbyLinkTV, but sometimes, those guys assemble Gunpla the wrong way on camera (i.e. popping pieces off runners without nippers, assembling parts the wrong way). They are veteran modelers, so they shouldn't focus too much on selling the Gunpla.

Other Gunpla review channels:

Kakarot197 - This guy digs up tons of old-school Gunpla; you just have to get used to his Belgian accent.

TheGunplameister - Very technical on his build/review videos.

stryderprime - Excellent in-depth build and review videos.

ZakuAurelius - Very good presentation on his reviews.

Edited by areaseven

crappy random pic of my WIP. It has been more than a year since I last touch anything gunpla related and I actually forgot how small the parts is.

20150707_010604_zpsyb72k5ld.jpg

Watching Gundam 00, I felt 00 raiser is one of the coolest gundam out there but after building the MG version, I end up realizing how impractical and badly designed this is. Opinion is changed again after building the RG. Took me 7 to 9hrs to snap build, this will be a quick build so only very bad and visible nub will be removed, next step is minor detailing and panel line.

Well..........I came into some money today. Ended up making the first half of a 900 dollar order for Gunpla. Yep, you heard me, 900 bucks.
This first half doesn't come with much only 2 kits and a GFFMC. But one of these kits is the 1/144 Dendrobium. The other half of these kits will include 10 kits all being shipped by that Toy Shop japan joint. 1 of those kits will be the Neo Zeong.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Well..........I came into some money today. Ended up making the first half of a 900 dollar order for Gunpla. Yep, you heard me, 900 bucks.

This first half doesn't come with much only 2 kits and a GFFMC. But one of these kits is the 1/144 Dendrobium. The other half of these kits will include 10 kits all being shipped by that Toy Shop japan joint. 1 of those kits will be the Neo Zeong.

you building another dendrobium? that's a lot of gunpla dough there :o

Edited by davidwhangchoi

you building another dendrobium? that's a lot of gunpla dough there :o

it'll be the 2nd Dendrobium I've built yeah, the first one is long gone sold that sucker to someone I think from here in the forums back in 07 or something maybe. I didn't have an appreciation for that like I do now.

Now if I can just get the compressor to work right so I can do some pre-shading, I would probably repaint the whole kit.

Guest davidwhangchoi

it'll be the 2nd Dendrobium I've built yeah, the first one is long gone sold that sucker to someone I think from here in the forums back in 07 or something maybe. I didn't have an appreciation for that like I do now.

Now if I can just get the compressor to work right so I can do some pre-shading, I would probably repaint the whole kit.

i have one unbuilt as well so i'd love to see it once you get a chance to work on it.

i have one unbuilt as well so i'd love to see it once you get a chance to work on it.

There was 1 I found locally last month. If I had the money then I'd of bought it, but it also got snagged super fast.

Pretty much all I'm doing is stock piling for the remainder of the year. Pretty easy to do seeing how I've slowed down a ton cause of life!

Man I wish I could afford to blow $900 on gunpla in one go. That'd keep me busy for a long time.

Special circumstances. It doesn't seem like it sometimes but my department gets a ton of business and sometimes our clients expect it 2 weeks prior for what we do. We're kind of like the engine room of the enterprise and one of us is mr scott pulling off the miracles.

But besides doing graphics I have to photograph nearly 500 cars a month, some days I'm doing 20-30 vehicles in 1 go and it can be bothersome. I once I had to rephotograph and entire lot of 400 vehicles twice because they kept making layout changes to the photo room they give me. Each car gets roughly 20-30 photos and 30 seconds worth of video for advertisment and I gotta upload all those photos myself and edit the footage. It's an 8 hour+ day easy.

So with that, one of our big bosses/clients gave each of us a big bonus this morning and I used a portion of it pay off my credit card debt which now I'm down to my last card. Another portion went to Arnold's After School All Stars program, and another portion will be taking my mother out to dinner sunday.

If it were my own hard earned cash I would NOT be buying the Dendrobium or the Neo Zeong. If anything right now, I'm kind of wondering where the hell I'm gonna put either of these kits......they certainly won't fit on those detolf cases, and the top side is already full! Something is gonna have to give.

I need to get into a field of work where bonuses- or being recognized at all for hard work- are a thing. As it is, I'm hovering between retail and dealership work, which is really just more retail. The 6-day work weeks are murder, and the $8/hr pay is even worse.

Somebody save me from retail. My soul is crushed further by the day.

But besides doing graphics I have to photograph nearly 500 cars a month, some days I'm doing 20-30 vehicles in 1 go and it can be bothersome.

Yeah, taking pictures of cars for a living... must be heck. :p (I kid)

I need to get into a field of work where bonuses- or being recognized at all for hard work- are a thing. As it is, I'm hovering between retail and dealership work, which is really just more retail. The 6-day work weeks are murder, and the $8/hr pay is even worse.

I did retail for 15 years. I know your pain. Started in college, worked my way up to management, quit when it turned out to be a dead end, wound up back in retail while I did grad school.

I think I'm lucky, because my wife's had a very good career, and we've been able to live quite comfortably off of her income. After 13 years together, we finally decided that we do want kids, and we've both kind of accepted that it's ok for me to be a stay-at-home dad, so I was able to quit my last job doing computer repair at Staples. If not for that, I don't know how much more I could've taken.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I did retail for 15 years. I know your pain. Started in college, worked my way up to management, quit when it turned out to be a dead end, wound up back in retail while I did grad school.

I think I'm lucky, because my wife's had a very good career, and we've been able to live quite comfortably off of her income. After 13 years together, we finally decided that we do want kids, and we've both kind of accepted that it's ok for me to be a stay-at-home dad, so I was able to quit my last job doing computer repair at Staples. If not for that, I don't know how much more I could've taken.

sounds like retail is tough hours. i hope you still have time for gunpla.

Mike, a few of my friends are fulltime dads (well the both wife and husband work but the dads are part time), they do all the cooking too. one made a deal to work fulltime to put his wife through school and then when she worked he went to part time to help with the kids while she works full time. he sorta cheats as he dumps the kids off at his parents and then goes play golf :lol:

my new job has some long hours so i'm not able to gunpla :( anymore.. has me traveling to MA mon-fri and back down to NJ fri-sun and back up again for the next 4 weeks.

For me, be a SAHD was very rewarding & also frustrating.

Money was tight, we were in a new podunk town with few resources, no friends. Being a slave to the nap schedule. However, I developed a very deep and great relationship with my daughter over those first 2 years - despite my cluelessness. Something that I feel has been waning with the addition of her brother and her transition to school age.

Now I work, and things are more comfortable, but I miss it sometimes. I only get to see my son for an hour a day before he goes to bed, and seem to be in a constant battle with a five-teen year old girl. And paying $1200/month for daycare sucks...

As for Gunpla, I've finally finished assembling my RG. I might need to add a little glue, b/c a few panels keep popping off. And he's got a bit of a lazy misaligned eye sticker...

All-in-all, I think it's great and had a blast building it over lunches. Hopefully I'll get it stickered up over the next few days and be done.

edit - paying for daycare sucks, the place is great.

Edited by Kelsain

I only have time for gunpla these days because I decided I'd had enough with my job at the Honda dealership after a disgusting incident where the service manager lost his crap in front of the whole department and fired one of the service advisors by telling him to "get the f[expl] out of here, you're fired". I was under the impression this job I had interviewed for with IBM was lined up a bit more closely, but while I've been in contact with the manager I interviewed with, even he's having a difficult time getting a hold of the recruiting department, and I've only recently learned that IBM has 13 layers of management, plus an additional 3 at the Softlayer Technologies division, to which I'm applying. So I lost that gamble, now I'm dead broke, and that was my only real shot at getting out of retail.

Which also means, not only do I not have time for gunpla moving forward, but no money either.

Edited by SchizophrenicMC

sounds like retail is tough hours. i hope you still have time for gunpla.

Mike, a few of my friends are fulltime dads (well the both wife and husband work but the dads are part time), they do all the cooking too. one made a deal to work fulltime to put his wife through school and then when she worked he went to part time to help with the kids while she works full time. he sorta cheats as he dumps the kids off at his parents and then goes play golf :lol:

my new job has some long hours so i'm not able to gunpla :( anymore.. has me traveling to MA mon-fri and back down to NJ fri-sun and back up again for the next 4 weeks.

You should invest in a mobile Gunpla workstation you can put in your luggage. ^_^

I've been busy busy busy. Tomorrow I got my Dendrobium showing up, I'm clicking in cart and out cart of so many gunpla going from 5 to 15 to 13 to 7 etc cause I can't make up my mind on what I want.

A buddy of mine got me the MSA-0011ext EX-S mastergrade and I'm thrilled to have it.

I also finally got my RX-78-5 kit and excited to build it.

I'm about half way done with my Delta Plus MG and I like it for the most part but the rub on transfers I wish weren't there.

I also had a real big Gundam party yesterday at my place. bunch of the group came by and we sat and watched episodes 1-7 of Unicorn and shared our thoughts and opinions on the various model kits of the Unicorn line up. So was a busy weekend and just over all busy week.

What is everyones take on not painting there kits? I have never been a good painter and now with my hands shaking a bit do to the meds i take I do not bother painting them and putting the decals on. Is there anything I could do to make them pop a bit? They look good unpainted but just wondering if there is anything else I could

Thanks,

Mond