So I'm building my first Gunpla set the RG Destiny Gundam. Unfortunately I forgot to order the brown panel lining pen so the gray one has to suffice. However I have a few questions.

I wan't to clear coat it. Do I put the stickers on before or after the clear coat?

Stickers? If you want to match the gloss or dull clear coat; before. Otherwise, doesn't matter.

I have the MG Nu Gundam in the backlog. The RG is more or less a training dummy so I don't screw up the MG completely. The Nu Gundam has water transfer decals. When do I put does on. Before the clear coat, after or in between? ^_^

Thanks in advance.

Transfer decals? Always before the clear coat.

Scyla.

Brave person using a RG kit to train for a MG build.

RG are a mix of MG and PG in detail and parts count and all of that in 1/144 scale.

Add in microinjection molded parts.

Never use stickers myself.

Decals I put on after painting but before weathering, this way the decals also get weathered.

HTH.

Well the reason I choose the RG is that it is similar in the built to the MG and it was cheap so I figured why not. ^_^

Thanks for the advice with the stickers.

Maybe I will post some pictures of the RG when I'm finished.

Edited by Scyla

Forgot, if you get stuck or gotva question feel free to drop me a pm.

I should start my RG Strike Freedom next weekend, reckon assembled by Sunday lunchtime.

Thanks man. So my other question would be how to disassemble the Gundam for clear coating. Do the joints still work if I coat them?

My plan was to disassemble to Gundam in subsections like the legs and the arms etc. (just like the manual says to built it) and coat them on their on.

My plan was to disassemble to Gundam in subsections like the legs and the arms etc. (just like the manual says to built it) and coat them on their on.

That will work just fine, just don't apply too thick a layer.

Not sure how much building experience you got, myself over 4 decades.

Edited by CrazyDude

are other gundam models going to get the MG ver 3 treatment . Or all future MG are going to be ver3 integration?

I would assume that most 2014 kits and beyond will have V3 integration. The only time you might see a v3 label is when a kit already had a v2 and needs another redo (like zeta gundam),

I was out and about today while I was getting a full on detail and sat radio installed into my car.I stopped at a comic shop about 2 miles from Cartoys and they usually don't stock Gunpla but boy did they this time, hell not to bad of deals either, cheaper than the hobby store close to it. I almost picked up a GM Jesta or the new 1/144 Double X. But something in me just said no. Also saw the Strike Freedom.....so close, was so so close.

Hah okay, good score. local hobby store had both MG X Gundam and MG Build strike. They're also stocking up on Build fighter kits so i picked up Star build. I'm a bit meh on it. I usually ignore HG kits cause of all the paint jobs and lack of detail replaced with stickers. Damn, it needs a lot of paint!

K bit of warning. There's a piece that you need to plug into the gundam X's backpack that also plugs into the Sattelite recievers. This piece while meant to move around is very fragile from the backpack side and can snap super easy. I'll get the 2 part numbers later after I check to see if the super glue did the trick. But if this area breaks it totally ruins the functionality of the Sattelite weaponary.

Parts are D 3 and D 6. Very fragile.

Edited by Hikuro

That looks really cool. Cool as ice....

...so I finished building and panel lining my RG Destiny Gundam and almost finished sticker it up. The wings are still missing their white markings. Some if the stickers are pretty good but some of them are just stupid like the sliver ones for the inside of the yellow bits on the gauntlets of the Destiny or the red triangles on the backpack weapons. I think I will be finished tomorrow so I can clear coat him next week.

Gundam Newbie here - but I have wanted a Sazabi kit for some time.

And this combo kit what I used to look at - it was always quite expensive to get the resin parts plus the MG Zaku.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=gundam+sazabi+MG+ka&_sop=15

But now that the MG Ka has come out these prices have dropped dramatically for the old resin versions like this??

And I bet the new MG Ka is still a much better choice than this combo though right for fit and ease of assembly? Plus the extras you probably get with Bandai.

So Ka or Combo kit?

Have you ever built a resin kit before? A resin kit is going to take lots of clean up and test fitting and painting and other fairly advanced model building skills in order to get something decent, where as a modern MG is almost on the same level as a really complicated Lego kit in terms of how easily it goes together. And if you do have the skills to finish the resin kit properly it's going to be heavier and less pose-able than the MG kit.

Unless you absolutely love the G-system sculpt and feel confident in your traditional modelling skills, I'd say just go with the MG.

Just so you know, there are 2 official MG Sazabi kits. I had the original version and enjoyed building and displaying it. It's a cheaper and easier to build alternative if that's what you are looking for. I don't have the ver ka (yet) but others here seem to enjoy it.

Sazabi 1/100 original http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN77072/Gun

Sazabi 1/100 Ver Ka http://www.hlj.com/product/ban985135/Gun

The original MG Sazabi was nicely done for it's time, a very long time ago. The ver Ka is amazing, blows the original away in terms of gimmicks and engineering. It's a lot to build, and the decals when applied just really enhance the kit further, but they're so many it'll take forever to apply them all. I kind of just gave up for the time being cause it's very time consuming.

The only issue I had with my original MG Sazabi was the right shoulder popped out of it's socket allllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time.

I wonder when they'll release new photos of MG Turn X, can't wait for it. I better get a new Turn A too since my current one has yellowed and all :/

Aaand just got my self an RG Zeta and a MK II. Bandai, please release an RG Hyakushiki in CHROME (not yellow crap plastic)

Edited by close313