What's the right age for my son to start building HG/MG's with me?

There's no real age limit. But since MGs use small parts and may require some tooling, I'd say age 6, supervised. HGs just have small parts so they should be fine at age 5-6. Just be sure they don't step on a dropped part.

There's no real age limit. But since MGs use small parts and may require some tooling, I'd say age 6, supervised. HGs just have small parts so they should be fine at age 5-6. Just be sure they don't step on a dropped part.

I'd also say to keep in mind the length of time required to build up a kit. If the child is impatient to get the robot built up, a MG kit might not be the best choice.

I'd also say to keep in mind the length of time required to build up a kit. If the child is impatient to get the robot built up, a MG kit might not be the best choice.

Another thing to think about is does your kid understand the difference between a toy and a model. I was building glue and paint models unsupervised when I was 7 years old and had the patients and dexterity to solo through MG gundam kits when I was 9, but it wasn't until I was in my early teens before I got over the urge to play with my finished kits like they were action figures and inevitably break them.

basically, I would not recommend buying a $50~$75 kit for a child if they aren't going to be able to leave it untouched on a shelf after it's built.

Edited by anime52k8

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly I never decal that much on any of my kits but something about this kit made me want to do it and honesltly it's not as cluttered as it seems once it's done. I am going to post more photos of my other kits soon. Right now I am still working on decaling the FA Unicorn MG

So, anybody buy or have thoughts on the Elyn Hobby 1/100 Kshatriya?

It's supposed to be injection molded, and semi-assembled in nature, and you're supposed to be able to snap it together without any tools, and it's injected in color, so paint isn't necessary as well.

Is this too good to be true? At $172, it's not SUPER expensive as well.

I might just order one for the heck of it. They're saying even non-modelers can put one together...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptu90wsTf24

So ALL they have is the CAD? You can design all the .000000001 millimeter details and clearances you want, it's another thing entirely to actually mold the thing accounting for draft angles and uneven shrinkage as it cools.

(you can generally avoid the draft-angle issue with multi-part/siding molds, but since Bandai is about the ONLY company that does that beyond "1 piece per kit", I doubt we'd see it to any extent here)

Also, I sure hope it's more olive drab, and not *GREEN*.

So ALL they have is the CAD? You can design all the .000000001 millimeter details and clearances you want, it's another thing entirely to actually mold the thing accounting for draft angles and uneven shrinkage as it cools.

(you can generally avoid the draft-angle issue with multi-part/siding molds, but since Bandai is about the ONLY company that does that beyond "1 piece per kit", I doubt we'd see it to any extent here)

Also, I sure hope it's more olive drab, and not *GREEN*.

Yeah, I was actually with you and fairly skeptical about this and the whole "build w/o any tools semi-assembled" thing, but then I saw this:

http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2012/11/elyn-hobby-products-1100-kshatriya.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gundamkitscollection%2FJfVa+%28Gundam+Model+Kits+Collection+Blog%29#.URfQBKV8vww

Seems fairly legit actually, and I myself am surprised. Batteries/LED are built in, the frame is pre-assembled, and everything is plastic injection molded, not gunky resin. All parts don't even have sprues. It literally seems like all you have to do is tack on the armor pieces to the frame, and booya, 1/100 kshatriya.

I'm sure this is a very idealistic view, and i'm sure you'll have to do a little sanding and what-not to get things to fit, but it is supposed to be snap-fit.

The last thing I'll say is they are re-pouring the plastic as they don't like the lighter colors.

If this works out, I might just go ahead and pre-order one....I need me some kshatriya at this scale, and the LEDs built in only helps :)

I'm sold, if the price is actually in that $170 region. I have the 1/144 Bandai kit, but really wanted the Kshatriya in 1/100, which Bandai didn't make.

The only thing that seems a bit excessive is all the moving part on the binders. I don't remember them separating in the OVA like they do on this model.

I'm sold, if the price is actually in that $170 region. I have the 1/144 Bandai kit, but really wanted the Kshatriya in 1/100, which Bandai didn't make.

The only thing that seems a bit excessive is all the moving part on the binders. I don't remember them separating in the OVA like they do on this model.

I think they do separate in one seen when Marida is about to enter Industrial 7 in episode 1. I agree though, this does look pretty cool!

There's something about that link that triggers a trojan warning and blocking from my antivirus software.

Sorry man, I didn't mean to link to a site filled with viruses, it just popped up first in my google search! I'd suggest individuals to click that link at their own risk. It doesn't pop anything up for me (I'm on Norton), but it may affect others, so careful!

I didn't have any problems with the site, either. I wonder why you did, mech.

Now I'll have to go and watch that scene to see if the binders move the way you said.

Heh, wonder why I never noticed all the times that I've watched the first episode of UC?

Edited by Beltane70

It might be MG-sized, but it's a custom kit, hence the price.

Yeah its still a kit. And a small one. I did have a pre-order going but he wants $130 to ship it. Which made me chuckle a bit since I got the DX Chogokin Mazinger Z for $50 shipped. Naw for that price Im not going to be the guinea pig . I will wait until Ami Ami or HLJ gets some on order.

I mean, I guess it does have LEDs to somewhat justify the price, but they haven't been very clear as to if the LEDs are built in, or if we have to do that ourselves, and only the batteries are built in.

Regardless, I'm going with the assumption that LEDs are optional and you'll have to do the wiring yourself if you want. I know what you guys mean though, not wanting to be a guinea pig for a first run product claiming to par Bandai in terms of injection molding.

Yeah its still a kit. And a small one. I did have a pre-order going but he wants $130 to ship it. Which made me chuckle a bit since I got the DX Chogokin Mazinger Z for $50 shipped. Naw for that price Im not going to be the guinea pig . I will wait until Ami Ami or HLJ gets some on order.

That is by no means a small kit, not by Gundam standards, at least. I have the 1/144 scale Kshatriya kit, which is actually pretty large despite its scale.

It's MG *scale* not MG *sized*. Just as a 1/6 scale Mylene figure would be much smaller than a 1/6 scale Roy figure, an MG Kshatriya could be as large as some PG kits.

Even better reference---look at all the 1/60 valks. VF-1's the smallest, because it's the smallest in "real life". It needs to be 1/48 scale to be the same *size* as most of the others in 1/60. Kshatriya is so huge it's as big as an MG, as some others would be in PG.

Gah, I'm tempted to pre-order, but i'm a n00b modeler. This tempted me with its bold claims of assembly without tools, but if they screw up, i'd rather not end up with a 200 dollar box of parts :(

I did mention its from the G-System folks right? Also, the LEDs are molded into the parts. There is a battery in the rear Ass Back armor plate that is rechargeable. Still waiting on to hear if you have to wire it yourself. To me its looking that way.

It's MG *scale* not MG *sized*. Just as a 1/6 scale Mylene figure would be much smaller than a 1/6 scale Roy figure, an MG Kshatriya could be as large as some PG kits.

Even better reference---look at all the 1/60 valks. VF-1's the smallest, because it's the smallest in "real life". It needs to be 1/48 scale to be the same *size* as most of the others in 1/60. Kshatriya is so huge it's as big as an MG, as some others would be in PG.

sorry im confused. Isnt MG Sized and MG scaled the same thing? Isnt it standing right next to a MG SInanju? Isnt it 1:100 scale. Cause it sure is looking like it is.

sorry im confused. Isnt MG Sized and MG scaled the same thing? Isnt it standing right next to a MG SInanju? Isnt it 1:100 scale. Cause it sure is looking like it is.

No, size and scale are two completly different things. Size refers to a subject's physical dimensions: a cesna and a 747 are not the same size in 1:1, so they would not be 25 cm long if converted to kits at the same scale. Scale is the fractional multiplier by which a subject is represented in toy or model form: a 25 cm cesna is a much larger scale than a 25 cm 747... same size, different scales; size and scale are mutually exclusive unless the objects being compared are of equal dimensions in real life.

This upcomimg Kshatriya may be the same height as a MG Sinanju, but unless the K (22.3 meters73.163 ft

877.953 in) is the same height as the S (22.6 meters74.147 ft

889.764 in) in the show, which they are, they would not be the same scale. So, regarding the K model, it is MG 1:100 scale as long as the S standing next to it is a 1/100 Master Grade kit.

Same here... I even screw up panel-lining, made me move more to figures and models.

Lol, I don't even care about panel lines at this point, I just want to make sure I'll be able to put it together in the first place :D

And as for the LEDs being molded into the parts, that's nice, but the "tooless" assembly is a bold claim when wiring clearly requires tools...

Lol, I don't even care about panel lines at this point, I just want to make sure I'll be able to put it together in the first place :D

And as for the LEDs being molded into the parts, that's nice, but the "tooless" assembly is a bold claim when wiring clearly requires tools...

I didnt confirm yet that it requires you to wire it. I am still waiting

Not MG, not interested.

The RGs have had some really good detailing so far. I'm not terribly shocked about RG RX-78-GP01 since the 0083 series has been one of the more popular ones.

I'm looking at this guy though:

MG Aile Strike Gundam (HD ver)

1g1.jpg