Battlestar Galactica Discussion IV with Blood And Chrome

• 1 month later...

Alright, after going for that almost insanely low BR deal amazon had last month, I just finished the series (except for the Plan, but I'll get to that in a day or two). Watched everything in order, webisides, DC episodes, etc. All in all, I'm surprised at the level of closure that was brought about to the story. It's just so damned uncommon in the U.S. Not so surprised at what look to be a ton of anime references, and overall stick with my initial impression that Gall Force was the backbone of the main story.

If I had one complaint, it's that a little too much of the action happened off screen. I'm sure it's due to budget, but there were a lot of battles spoken of happening offscreen that would have been nice to see, not the least of which being the initial mini-series attack, and decimation of the main colony fleet. Second, inhibiters or no, new Centurians should have been able to talk. And just a tad bit too much religion in general, but it works well in its context.

But overal, fun show, probably wouldn't have checked it out without all the praise it got here.

Edited by Keith

If I had one complaint, it's that a little too much of the action happened off screen. I'm sure it's due to budget, but there were a lot of battles spoken of happening offscreen that would have been nice to see, not the least of which being the initial mini-series attack, and decimation of the main colony fleet.

You'll love the first thirty minutes or so of The Plan. ^_^

You'll love the first thirty minutes or so of The Plan. happy.gif

Yeah, all it was good for was an initial bombardment scene. I'm still trying to figure out what the purpose of the topless chicks who are never scene elsewhere in the series was..

Yeah, all it was good for was an initial bombardment scene. I'm still trying to figure out what the purpose of the topless chicks who are never scene elsewhere in the series was..

Did you see the special features? The bombardment scene was not supposed to be there originally - just the hybrid saying "This is burning, that is burning..." THAT would have made the show a worse bomb then it already was.

Same purpose as the topless chicks in the Caprica DVD - just a little something extra they can't show on TV to try and get people to buy the DVD...

that's what was shown on the televised version (which is how I saw the plan).....I still haven't seen the attack as seen on the blu-ray dvd. <_< I was pissed they didn't show the attack scenes on tv.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

that's what was shown on the televised version (which is how I saw the plan).....I still haven't seen the attack as seen on the blu-ray dvd. <_< I was pissed they didn't show the attack scenes on tv.

Didn't they show the effects of the attack on TV? One second a city, next second a ruin? If so, then you saw the sequence. The original script was supposed to be the hybrid rattling off the destroyed places - and the camera staying on the hybrid the whole time.

If they did not show that sequence at all, then that stinks! (can't use more appropriate words on a public board...)

Didn't they show the effects of the attack on TV? One second a city, next second a ruin? If so, then you saw the sequence. The original script was supposed to be the hybrid rattling off the destroyed places - and the camera staying on the hybrid the whole time.

If they did not show that sequence at all, then that stinks! (can't use more appropriate words on a public board...)

They showed the different locations already burning or ruined as you hear the hybrid speaking, but no shots of the Battlestar fleet being switched off, or of the cities before they were destroyed. They did show stock footage from the Razor attack on the scorpion shipyards. This was probably all done so you would buy the dvd to see the extra footage like what was done with Razor with the additional attack footage and the Tauron invasion flashback footage.

As big a fan as I am for the BSG just didn't care enoigh for the Plan (it was ok and all) to warrant the purchase and didn't buy it originally because I was tired of the cylon centric story line that was the second half of S3 through S4...and really didn't want to see more of them. I just don't find them as fascinating as RDM and Eick apparently do/did......infact they really annoyed me with their hypocracy (the cylons)

Jaime Bamber said in a podcast that he liked it when the cylons were more of a mystery and the seemed much more threatening.....gotta agree with the man. Just my feelings on it. Still a big fan though. :)

Chris

Edited by Dobber

lost attack scenes? man i just finished the series and i got jipped already.

.... was wondering towards the end of the show, they did a flashback with adama. he mentions that he has commanded 2 battlestars and 3 frigates (if i recall correctly). was there any glimpses of other military vessels besides battlestars? i'm curious what a frigate would look like since a battlestar is a battle ship/carrier rolled into one.

lost attack scenes? man i just finished the series and i got jipped already.

.... was wondering towards the end of the show, they did a flashback with adama. he mentions that he has commanded 2 battlestars and 3 frigates (if i recall correctly). was there any glimpses of other military vessels besides battlestars? i'm curious what a frigate would look like since a battlestar is a battle ship/carrier rolled into one.

Assumedly, the frigate interior was shown during one of the early flashbacks, the one where Tigh almost torched himself before getting the re-enlistment knock.

I know the special effects shots were cut from Razor for the TV broadcast because...um...they were owned by a different company...? Something like that. :unsure:

I didn't know they were cut from The Plan, though. That kinda sucks...isn't it bad enough that they had to cut out the "Zoom in on the cock!" moment? :p

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is awesome news to me!! I was hoping they would go forward with this project/idea. A movie, all new series, its all good! So Say We All!

This is awesome news to me!! I was hoping they would go forward with this project/idea. A movie, all new series, its all good! So Say We All!

Only reason I don't see a series working, is because in Razor, the impression I got, was that he didn't start active combat until right at the end of hte war.

Only reason I don't see a series working, is because in Razor, the impression I got, was that he didn't start active combat until right at the end of hte war.

Yup, Bill's first combat mission coincides with the end of the Cylon war.

The show doesn't make it sound like there were many "cold war" skirmishes between the colonies and the cylons either.

Can't remember what was said in RAZOR, but I know they did not show the first 2 webisodes that did specifically say that it was his first combat mission. I agree that a slight retcon would be nice, never did like the idea that he only flew in 1 battle, personally.

Anyone remember what was said in Razor?

Chris

Yup, Bill's first combat mission coincides with the end of the Cylon war.

The show doesn't make it sound like there were many "cold war" skirmishes between the colonies and the cylons either.

That's alright-a quick Star Trek style change of the storyline will remedy any questions...

The impression was Bill before becoming a Viper pilot was a Raptor pilot. Mind you Razor Flashback itself retcon that Bill flew missions during the war.

Edited by RedWolf

I took it that while he was a "new" pilot on Galactica, the battle that unfolded was his first COMBAT but that he has flown missions before but just never saw any action. Aferall not every flight would mean he was in a fight.

Chris

I took it that while he was a "new" pilot on Galactica, the battle that unfolded was his first COMBAT but that he has flown missions before but just never saw any action. Aferall not every flight would mean he was in a fight.

Chris

That would still result in a pretty damn boring show.

Well, we know for certain there were some black ops missions... so I think a show following Bill's rise and fall in the fleet, post Cylon War, could still be good. High tension, cold war era with the engagements that are more like sub versus sub rather than the all out dog fights from BSG.

And personally, I think the character of Bill Adama is rich enough that I would stick around to see how Husker becomes the Old Man.

Well, we know for certain there were some black ops missions... so I think a show following Bill's rise and fall in the fleet, post Cylon War, could still be good. High tension, cold war era with the engagements that are more like sub versus sub rather than the all out dog fights from BSG.

And personally, I think the character of Bill Adama is rich enough that I would stick around to see how Husker becomes the Old Man.

I on the other hand demand all free fall sky diving cylong fighting all the time!

Edited by Keith

That would still result in a pretty damn boring show.

Oh I agree, that's why I'd like a retcon to show him having a bit more combat time in a Viper. Just pointing out what was said in the Webisodes is all ;)

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

IIRC the webisodes were suppossed to have a pretty big gap between when he was getting ready for his first mission, and the combat op seen later. I think Moore some something like a year between those flashbacks, hence all the kill markings on his viper in the combat scenes.

Also, check this model out:

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=25663

Have we ever figured out how/when the viper retracts its gear in the tube yet?

• 5 months later...

I'm sorry when watching BBCA I want to see people from the UK acting not a Gaggle of Canadians two English men and a hand full of Americans on screen the same thing goes for X-files, and ST next gen.

... last time I checked both James Callis and Jamie Bamber hail from the UK :p .