Battlestar Galactica Discussion IV with Blood And Chrome

Only that in oBSG Lizard Cylons created the Cylons. The Cylons rebelled and killed every one of the original Cylon race. Their Imperious Leader is wearing Lizard hide.

Though the implication of Baltar that Iblis, a evil higher being, sounds like the Imperious Leader means Iblis tricked the original Cylons to their own extinction by having them create the Imperious Leader and the Cylon Centurions.

Only that in oBSG Lizard Cylons created the Cylons. The Cylons rebelled and killed every one of the original Cylon race. Their Imperious Leader is wearing Lizard hide.

Though the implication of Baltar that Iblis, a evil higher being, sounds like the Imperious Leader means Iblis tricked the original Cylons to their own extinction by having them create the Imperious Leader and the Cylon Centurions.

Now I'm ashamed that you know that...

Ah, your question...

Would you believe that it's really just that Chief Tyrol's in love with Boomer?

awww, that would be kinda' lame :lol: putting the whole fleet at risk because

he's in love with a sexy robot

I would totally blow him out of an air lock for that...though she is smokin' hot.

Anyway, I finished up the first season last weekend and I have to say I'm a bit surprised at the cliffhanger ending. the shooting was unexpected but the whole "will he live?!?!?" is a little lame. wtf is with Gaius not telling folks they're cylons after administering the cylon detector test?!?!? He seems borderline...something.

And now we have cylon

babies

!?!?!

Second season started a bit slow (from what I can recall). The whole intrigue with the elections fell a bit flat for me though I did enjoy the would be assassin interrogation (FRAK!).

Seems like the cylons have the whole course of events laid out (the plan), which makes me feel kinda bad for the humans; if they're just jumping through hoops for who knows what...?

Also, Tigh's wife is SUPER annoying. I guess that's the point.

awww, that would be kinda' lame :lol: putting the whole fleet at risk because

he's in love with a sexy robot

I would totally blow him out of an air lock for that...though she is smokin' hot.

Well...I think he really thought she was innocent...that's a lot of egg all over HIS face, isn't it?

Anyway, I finished up the first season last weekend and I have to say I'm a bit surprised at the cliffhanger ending. the shooting was unexpected but the whole "will he live?!?!?" is a little lame. wtf is with Gaius not telling folks they're cylons after administering the cylon detector test?!?!? He seems borderline...something.

Yeah...Adama's one of the big stars...it was always clear he was going to survive. The question is how much damage is going to be done before he recovers.

And now we have cylon

babies

!?!?!

I know! What's the world coming to, am I right? ^_^

Second season started a bit slow (from what I can recall). The whole intrigue with the elections fell a bit flat for me though I did enjoy the would be assassin interrogation (FRAK!).

How far are you into the second season? Some of it didn't work for me, but it still builds to a pretty satisfying climax, I think. And I believe the election stuff is important...the fleet is not a dictatorship, so its necessary to deal with politics every once in a while (and yeah, keep an eye on that plot thread...).

Seems like the cylons have the whole course of events laid out (the plan), which makes me feel kinda bad for the humans; if they're just jumping through hoops for who knows what...?

Seems pretty hopeless, doesn't it?

Also, Tigh's wife is SUPER annoying. I guess that's the point.

I believe someone on this very board said, when she debuted, "Cylon or not, throw her out of the airlock!" I support that sentiment.

That said, I like Tigh and Ellen's relationship. It's frustrating as hell to watch, but it feels "true" to me, in that I know couples like that...addicted to drama, bringing out the worst in each other, making each other miserable, but not splitting up...and somehow, kinda/sorta making it work.

How far are you into the second season? Some of it didn't work for me, but it still builds to a pretty satisfying climax, I think. And I believe the election stuff is important...the fleet is not a dictatorship, so its necessary to deal with politics every once in a while (and yeah, keep an eye on that plot thread...).

I loved the politics stuff. In most every other sci-fi show it's a simple dichotomy: military good, civilians bad. BSG is one of the few shows that portray that relationship in shades of grey.

Part of it is I'm the one responsible for our civilization getting nuked. Baltar is trapped by a dillema of personal survival and genuinely wanting to be useful.

Baltar knows how to detect Cylons but the Cylons know his secret. That and he thinks he's going crazy.

Well...I think he really thought she was innocent...that's a lot of egg all over HIS face, isn't it?

meh, I think he knew. especially after the tribunal and, more so, after she was vibing off

the captured cylon ship

. he was thinking with the wrong head and/or willfully ignoring evidence pointing to her guilt

Yeah...Adama's one of the big stars...it was always clear he was going to survive. The question is how much damage is going to be done before he recovers.

ah, I overlooked this question. of course without adama in charge of galactica things may go a bit pear shaped. especially with a borderline alcoholic next in line of command

I know! What's the world coming to, am I right? ^_^

werd, I tried to make a

cylon

baby once, but it just gunked up my cd drive :o

I think I'm only on the second or third episode. The politics piece doesn't bother in so far as it's politics, it's just not as dynamic/interesting (to me) as other parts of the story. I also think these parts can be done a bit better. I'm thinking of "the mayors" portion of Asimov's "Foundation", Hardin was such a badass politician and was consistently three steps ahead of everyone else. I would love to see that on screen; though I doubt it would translate well.

Seems pretty hopeless, doesn't it?

Not necessarily, I didn't mean to imply as much. Again I'm reminded of the Asimov's Foundation. Ultimately "the plan" could be benevolent on some level (prob not). I just wish there was someone (human) who had an inkling of what was actually going on and had a plan of their own. The whole, survival for the sake of survival bit gets a little old. As does any story where no one actually knows wtf is going on (e.g. LOST). I think stories can clue you in to a characters (real) motivations and still be compelling. Mystery for the sake of mystery is kind of lame and I get tired of being in the dark for too long. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to figure things out on my own?

I believe someone on this very board said, when she debuted, "Cylon or not, throw her out of the airlock!" I support that sentiment.

That said, I like Tigh and Ellen's relationship. It's frustrating as hell to watch, but it feels "true" to me, in that I know couples like that...addicted to drama, bringing out the worst in each other, making each other miserable, but not splitting up...and somehow, kinda/sorta making it work.

Yeah, I see your point. It does ring true and like I said; I guess she's supposed to be annoying/terrible. I suppose I knew folks like this as well but I was so glad when they finally realized they were not good for each other.

Part of it is I'm the one responsible for our civilization getting nuked. Baltar is trapped by a dillema of personal survival and genuinely wanting to be useful.

Baltar knows how to detect Cylons but the Cylons know his secret. That and he thinks he's going crazy.

Yes, he does seem to be going a bit crazy...or not?

I love the inopportune moments he's discovered interacting with his transmission/hallucinations. Especially when Starbuck walked in on one of his more...intimate moments with number six. hehehe

Also, I've been meaning to comment that the main reason I started watching BSG is South Park. My wife was listening to an interview with Matt Stone and Trey Parker on npr:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...oryId=124052961

and they mentioned their peabody acceptance speech. They took a few moments of their time to thank the peabody folks for introducing them to BSG which they thought was a great show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tdog65eraw

That's when I decided I had to check it out :lol:

I love you Starbuck!

I love you Starbuck!!

meh, I think he knew. especially after the tribunal and, more so, after she was vibing off

the captured cylon ship

. he was thinking with the wrong head and/or willfully ignoring evidence pointing to her guilt

Hmmm...you're probably right about that...he WANTED to believe she was innocent so badly that he made some pretty terrible choices. In his defense, I'd have to say that if a distraught Boomer came up to me begging for help, I'm not sure I'd be able to hand her over to the authorities...especially if I knew they were going to toss her out an airlock...

werd, I tried to make a

cylon

baby once, but it just gunked up my cd drive :o

I tried it, too. My toast tasted funny for weeks afterward.

Not necessarily, I didn't mean to imply as much. Again I'm reminded of the Asimov's Foundation. Ultimately "the plan" could be benevolent on some level (prob not). I just wish there was someone (human) who had an inkling of what was actually going on and had a plan of their own. The whole, survival for the sake of survival bit gets a little old. As does any story where no one actually knows wtf is going on (e.g. LOST). I think stories can clue you in to a characters (real) motivations and still be compelling. Mystery for the sake of mystery is kind of lame and I get tired of being in the dark for too long. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to figure things out on my own?

You'll be getting more info as the series progresses. Just enjoy the ride, and don't worry too much (yet) about the destination. There are some real game-changers up ahead...

sonavabeeatch, I frackin' knew

Tyrol

and cunty'mc'

Ellen

were cylons!!!

I'm not on season four but after seeing the episode where Adama starts crying like a woah'man I broke down and spoiled myself via wikipedia. I guess they're the

benevolent

cylons I theorized about earlier...but still.

And I don't get how Helo's Sharon knew that Adama bitched out to Tyrol's Sharon's corpse? She says "and you ask why" to Adama when they're looking for the map to earth but claims they're not networked "it doesn't work like that" or whatever. So what's the deal with that?

My lady is actually ripping through the series, she's like 6 episodes ahead of me and she's enjoying it thoroughly. I have to catch up this weekend; though I did get to the episode with xena warrior galactica journalist hehehe I couldn't get the simpsons halloween episode featuring xena out of my head throughout the whole thing tee hee

hehehe, it's not that big of a deal. I still enjoy the show, I just lost my patience when the story did a couple things I didn't like :blink:

I may know some of the stuff that happens but I don't know how it happens and I'll keep watching...because y'know...sexy robots are sexy.

Just about through season two now.

The "Pegasus" and "Resurrection" episodes were great. The treatment of the cylon prisoner on the pegasus was really terrible and the near miss with Helo-Sharon was particularly hard to watch.

I loved that the Captains were ready to kill each other, jeez'o'man that was an intense episode. Thankfully starbuck provided a little comic relief. How did anyone on the bridge of the pegasus not know that she was planning something awful? She was sweating bullets and looked like she was about to sh!t herself hahaha

And Starbuck sure does f#ck up alot; seems like she won't be satisfied until she completely mind f#cks and/or kills the Adama boys.

I also think the Anders character she's into is lame, seems like a low-rent...something. I'm annoyed that he'll play an important role later on in the series. Also, the effect of said low-rent action hero on Starbuck is disappointing (her new found heartache/reason to live/reason to cop out of sh!t) boo, boo I say!

Kat was SUPER annoying in the "scar" episode. I cannot wait for her die, and I hope it's ugly.

So, even though I spoiled myself I'm still not sure wtf is going on (I'm not that smart). I read a couple short articles likening the end of bsg to what may happen on LOST. That is, the story gets jammed up with unanswered questions/plot lines and the answers to some questions are: it was magic!

Hope that's not true. I guess I'll find out.

Just about through season two now.

The "Pegasus" and "Resurrection" episodes were great. The treatment of the cylon prisoner on the pegasus was really terrible and the near miss with Helo-Sharon was particularly hard to watch.

If you watch the extended version of "Pegasus"...it's not a near miss. :ph34r:

So, even though I spoiled myself I'm still not sure wtf is going on (I'm not that smart). I read a couple short articles likening the end of bsg to what may happen on LOST. That is, the story gets jammed up with unanswered questions/plot lines and the answers to some questions are: it was magic!

Hope that's not true. I guess I'll find out.

It really depends, I think, on how you view it. Just remember that famous Arther C. Clarke quotation...

A good litmus test: Did you think the Temple of Athena stuff was "magic"?

Edited by Gubaba

If you watch the extended version of "Pegasus"...it's not a near miss. :ph34r:

arghhh, that hurts my heart. Depictions of rape are...hard to stomach.

It's odd, I'm flipping through the notes of the scenes included in the extended cut and I swear all of them were included in the episode I watched except the alternate version of the scene where Thorne attacks Sharon. I may look for the alternate version, for symmetry, but I'm not sure...probably not.

It really depends, I think, on how you view it. Just remember that famous Arther C. Clarke quotation...

A good litmus test: Did you think the Temple of Athena stuff was "magic"?

Yeah, I'm sure there are people in parts of the world that would think a mobile phone was magic.

I doubt the Temple of Athena stuff was supposed to be magic, but it's not my story so...who knows?

• 3 weeks later...

Finished off season three last night.

This was prob the most...uneven season so far. The trial at the end was a bit...something...

though I did like the way Baltar was left to fend for himself afterward hehehe

I was really hoping the series would spend some time exploring the relationship between caprica six and balter

when they were finally reunited on new caprica. I was excited to see what the dynamic between them would be since they both obviously cared a great deal for each other; and they were both very anxious to find each other again. However, all I got was an embarrassing sexual episode and then them breaking up?!?!

WTF?!?! This was a huge part of the show for me, and there was some borderline filler material throughout the season, so that was definitely a big let down. I don't understand how this part of the story was completely put aside...?

oh wells, still curious to see razor, the final season and more sexy sexy robots.

Finished off season three last night.

This was prob the most...uneven season so far. The trial at the end was a bit...something...

though I did like the way Baltar was left to fend for himself afterward hehehe

I was really hoping the series would spend some time exploring the relationship between caprica six and balter

when they were finally reunited on new caprica. I was excited to see what the dynamic between them would be since they both obviously cared a great deal for each other; and they were both very anxious to find each other again. However, all I got was an embarrassing sexual episode and then them breaking up?!?!

WTF?!?! This was a huge part of the show for me, and there was some borderline filler material throughout the season, so that was definitely a big let down. I don't understand how this part of the story was completely put aside...?

oh wells, still curious to see razor, the final season and more sexy sexy robots.

Yeah, I think most people would agree that Season 3 was uneven...the beginning was INCREDIBLE, and the ending was, too...but there's some real draggy parts in the middle.

Kinda makes me wish there'd been a mid-season break. The show seems to be at its best when either creating or resolving a cliffhanger.

• 2 weeks later...

All righty folks, I'm going to watch the extended 3 ep series finale tonight!

I think the whole cylon back story

via anders

was a bit rushed but still quite good; and I'm curious as to what they're going to do with starbuck. From what I've read, the conclusion to starbucks story may be unsatisfying.

Season four was pretty good overall.

The mutiny episodes were intense! Reminded me of the ep where Adama and Cain almost killed each other.

the penultimate episode was a little slow but I'm ready to see how this thing comes to a close.

Like I said earlier, season three was a bit uneven but I haven't enjoyed a live action series this much in a long time.

How did folks enjoy the movies? Razor and The Plan? I meant to watch Razor between seasons 3 and 4 but it didn't happen.

Razor is damn good imo, especially if you are into a little extra Cylon mystery. Of course, some of that goes away if you finish off S4. I haven't heard much good about The Plan and I still have yet to watch it myself. I'll probably just wait now till I buy it Blu-ray.

Razor is damn good imo, especially if you are into a little extra Cylon mystery. Of course, some of that goes away if you finish off S4. I haven't heard much good about The Plan and I still have yet to watch it myself. I'll probably just wait now till I buy it Blu-ray.

Yes, I agree. Razor is a must see! Also when you get the series wrapped up The Plan is also great and fun to watch.

So I watched the series finale last week and it was pretty good.

I could have done without the flashbacks because I don't think they contributed much to the story. Roslin, Lee and Kara's flashbacks seemed especially pointless.

The final battle was so great. The red splashed cylons were cool as hell. I could have used more scenes with them leading the assault on the colony.

And of course the quasi-macross attack on the colony was freakin' awesome. I half expected a compliment of Cheyenne Destroids to light up the colony after the collision, hahaha.

The very end seemed a little frenetic but I guess they had a lot to wrap up.

At the very end were head six/baltar implying the one true god is some sort of sentient machine? I like to think so. In which case the story takes a page from Asimov's foundation.

At any rate, it was a great ride and I hope to pickup the blu rays at some point(maybe after I get a blu ray player).

Started watching Caprica this week and it's quite good too. I'll checkout razor and the plan when I'm through with the first half of the new series.

So I watched the series finale last week and it was pretty good.

I could have done without the flashbacks because I don't think they contributed much to the story. Roslin, Lee and Kara's flashbacks seemed especially pointless.

The final battle was so great. The red splashed cylons were cool as hell. I could have used more scenes with them leading the assault on the colony.

And of course the quasi-macross attack on the colony was freakin' awesome. I half expected a compliment of Cheyenne Destroids to light up the colony after the collision, hahaha.

The very end seemed a little frenetic but I guess they had a lot to wrap up.

At the very end were head six/baltar implying the one true god is some sort of sentient machine? I like to think so. In which case the story takes a page from Asimov's foundation.

At any rate, it was a great ride and I hope to pickup the blu rays at some point(maybe after I get a blu ray player).

Started watching Caprica this week and it's quite good too. I'll checkout razor and the plan when I'm through with the first half of the new series.

Glad you liked it... And I liked the flashbacks; they didn't add much to the plot, per se, but I thought they added A LOT to the chararacters... To me, it was kind of like the creators were saying, "Oh, you think you know these people, inside and out? Well, here's a bunch of stuff you DIDN'T know. You're welcome." Lee's flashback especially was interestingly symbolic (or, at least, the most OBVIOUSLY symbolic of them).

And, uh...don't expect much from Razor, since you've already seen Season 4. Yes, it's good on its own, but since it's meant to be primarily a tease for Season 4, that aspect will be a little blunted for you.

Though if you have to choose between Razor or The Plan, stick with Razor.

You get to see some kewl stuff blowned up real good, and the characterizations ain't too shabby either.

As for that other one, I just try to think of The Plan as some hastily tacked-on appendix/epilogue.

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone still on the fence about picking up the series on bluray, Amazon now has the "good" box on sale for $132. it's sold out with a 1-2 week restock, but at that price, it's pretty damned tempting.

• 2 weeks later...