Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.7

logos

my nora would beg to differ... it's not broken but that square plastic part that's part of the wing's transformation, the one that i believe is connected to the small metal part, has some visible stress marks, and i've only ever transformed it to gerwalk a couple of times.

And yet the sv-51 has been out for years and we have less reports of problems with it than we do with the DX. The DX having a potentially much more severe issue.

What's sad is if bandai hadn't broken the actual transformation on the 25 when they designed the DX we wouldn't have the stress crack issue on the back plate when in fighter mode with the armor on.

Ivanov original version enuff said..

actually, I don't know what you're getting at, I have the original ivanov release and it's fine other than the missiles didn't stay lock on well, but at least those missiles weren't websclusives.

actually, I don't know what you're getting at, I have the original ivanov release and it's fine other than the missiles didn't stay lock on well, but at least those missiles weren't websclusives.

Besides the missiles not locking well, the other problem with my Ivanov is the gun piece doesnt stick too well together. the bar always comes off top part. not a show stopper though...

My main problem is that, even ignoring the issues the VF-25 DX has in it's stand-alone version, the armor and super packs were not designed in such a way that you can use them without putting the toy in a stressed situation.

If the armor pack was designed properly from the start to integrate correctly, the backplate would not be cracking. It's cracking because they did a lousy job designing the connection points, and nothing lines up the way it should. If the packs and plane were designed correctly from the start, everything would snap together solidly, without you having to bend the plane in ways it wasn't meant to move.

I mean, the cracks are happening in fighter mode for goodness sake. That's the only mode where the wings have any kind of built in support at all, and it decides to crack then? That just reeks of undue stress on the back plate due to poorly designed connection points for the armor. I was actually considering buying an armored DX until these cracks started happening.

Honestly.. the fit of some of the parts is so sloppy, I wonder if they even used CAD at all. <_<

*sigh* I do appreciate the fact that we have a transforming VF-25, and I enjoy the two I have (Michael and movie Alto)... but the VF-27 blows them so far out of the water, it's not even funny. I do want an Armored Ozma, but I'm not buying this iteration of it. If they get their act together and release a better VF-25 later on, I'll gladly rebuy the two I have, and just save the V.1s for posterity.. or children to play with.

Edited by Chronocidal

i think Bandai knew that the hinges that connect the chest to the shoulder plates and then to the backplate would be prone to breaking w/ the Armor on since they included (out of nowhere) those black plastic supports for Gerwalk mode... coz in gerwalk that backplate pretty much just hangs there...

and just save the V.1s for posterity.. or children to play with.

that's exactly what i had in mind for my 2 DXs ^_^ ... i still do like how they look when they're just on display.

Wow okay where to start, first off I want to say I'm not being derogatory or whatever and that I'm actually enjoying this debate :) but anyways I never said Yamato has more experience in manufacturing and design over Bandai period. I said Yamato has more experience in manufacturing transforming Macross Mecha IF you take into account the number of released items. I don't see what the problem is, if you just take into account the 1/60 Ver.2 VF-1's by themselves your easily in the double digits and that's not counting with or without Fast/Strike Packs. If you add the various VF-0, YF-21,YE-19,YF-11, YF-22 and so one your easily adding another 14-15 different models and that's still not counting Weathering, Anniversary editions let alone 1/60 Ver.1, 1/48's, or the 1/72's and on. It's just a fact that Yamato has produced more variations of the VF-1 than Bandai and have produced more Macross Mecha than any company period.

You can also count non-transforming Macross items from both companies Yamato has I believe close too 10 figures in it's non-transforming all plastic figure line and that's not including the 8-9 variations of the 1/60 Destroids. You can also add re-issues which Bandai has done and Yamato will be doing with the re-issued 1/48's and still Bandai has produced less product.

If you count non-transforming figures, you can as well count model kits, SD figures, and gashapon/trading figures. But why not give your list of Yamato products, so we can make a true comparison?

If you count non-transforming figures, you can as well count model kits, SD figures, and gashapon/trading figures. But why not give your list of Yamato products, so we can make a true comparison?

Because it doesn't matter obviously Bandai has a larger portfolio. The point is and I'm guessing but I'll bet a $100, is that the design team that first worked on the original 1/60 is the same team that worked on the 1/48 and are probably the same team that's working on the 1/60 Ver.2. It just makes design sense, the first 1/60's you actually had to remove the legs, the design team then goes to a larger scale to try out new ideas and techniques, after being sufficiently happy with what they learned they go to a smaller size for shipping and manufactoring while honing what they learned from the 1/48's. While the DX team is comparably new, sure they'll have engineers who moved over from other divisions and have new hired engineers. But from a engineering team their quite new and are probably bringing ideas and habbits of how they did things from their former divisions. You can tell just by the armor packs that it has a very "Gundam" way of being attached which is basically "two tabs and a prayer".

Here's another example, take say GM each division is broken up with different engineers and designers while high profile cars like Corvettes have a dedicated engineering team that works on nothing but Corvettes. So the Corvette guy isn't going to work on the new Chevy Aveo while the Cadillac team won't have any say in the Buick teams design direction. GM has been building cars for over a 100 years but I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying they still haven't built the perfect car.

in a way i guess i was right in getting the 1/72 armored vf-25s first before getting the 1/60 DX version. assembling the kit was a good exercise in patience that works for you when dealing with the DX. with both having their good and bad points, wish there was an inbetween version!

I like the material they used for the 1/60 DX. I just hope the plastic doesn't yellow or get brittle after...10,20yrs. I like the diecast landing gear of the DX -- wishing for more diecast on them (and paint chipping hahaha). The retracting landing gear is something the DX has over the kit.

Stuff from the 1/72 Armored Ozma I want on the 1/60 DX -- in fighter mode, a)the way the gun connector works with or w/o armor and helps hold the 2 legs together b)the way the leg armors lock on the back armor plate (the one on the large bison skull insignia) instead of locking on the wing hinge of the DX. Toss in connector pegs for the arm armor and better details for the leg missile launchers.

Now I understand the way people clamor for a version 2.0 (or at least 1.5) of the VF-25.

What a great time to repost this----it explains everything:

I wonder if they actually dress like that for work, or this was just for the photo op :p .

The EFSF uniforms are a dead give away of Bandai's emphasis and core competency. However, if everyone were to cospray Macross during work, I fear for the female employees - as Macross women fashion is not exactly office-oriented.

i recived my lucifer and i can say that is infinitely superior in comparision with any of the vf 25 i really feel that i need if not a complete new version of the vf 25s (long landing gear, neck and remove pilot) at least upgrade parts like a new head re sculpted with a better proportion and clear visor

For those of you who have loose hip syndrome on your DX 25's fear not they can be restored. If you unscrew the screw behind the metal portion of the hip the two metal halves will split. Therefore, the hip joint will be exposed and you can apply some nail polish or in my case super glue. Put it back together, make sure the screw is tight and move the joint around a little and then you'll have a very tight hip joint once again. Hope this helps.

I haven't gotten around getting the DX armored ozma yet, as I have so many other things id rather buy first... I just don't really think the DX armored ozma is worth the money bandai want's for it... I admit it is cool and all but the sloppy design and lack of detail on this thing from what I've seen leaves much to be desired.. I also know that there are many complaints about the parts not fitting on right and the toy being reduced to a fragile floppy mess when trying to pose it with the armor parts on...

This is supposed to be a DX line figure and that usually features more playability and sturdiness. I like to transform and play with the figures every one in a while without worrying about parts falling off. IMO that takes away all the joy of even touching it and that's half the fun... If I can't touch the figure at least I want to be able to look at the intricate detail of the figure but the armored ozma isn't even much to look at NE way.

Being the completist collector that I am ill probably pick it up later NE way. But I am in no rush to purchase something which IMO isn't worth the money.

Got a response from AmiAmi concerning the Tornado misprint:

Thanks for being so patient. We have inspected a copy of the figure here at our office, and it appears that this the pieces are actually printed correctly. We have taken photos of the pieces from our model here, so please check those in comparison with your figure to see if there are any discrepancies.

We believe that all the figures are the same, and there should be no problems, but if after reviewing our photos alongside your own figure you find that yours is still different from the samples we have shown please take a photo of your figure's pieces in the same configuration as the photos we are sending and then send those off to us.

Thank you again for your patience and understanding!

Unfortunately this doesn't answer the question of whether or not they contacted Bandai to ask if it was done on purpose.

Edited by Razerwire

I just got my DX Tornado and got the SWS version as well on the right side under wing, this sucks........ Is the first VALK that I get in almost eight years of my MACROSS hiatus........

I just simply loved, can wait to get my hands on the Luca and Michael customs, also want the armored Ozma and so.....

I don't think I will be able to work enough overtime in a month to cover for all of them at once.

Is there any communication from Bandai regarding a fix about this?

post-12806-1270880522_thumb.jpg

Other than that I just love it, with al packs attached this thing is huge in comparison to the old 1/60 Yamatos VF-1's, or maybe it's just the new toy smell....

post-12806-1270880727_thumb.jpg

Anyways, is there going to be any help from Bandai on this?

post-12806-1270880685_thumb.jpg

Edited by ObiJuan71

Here's something I want to share -- I'm not satisfied with the decals on the 1/60 VF-25S Armored Valk so I decided to try to use the left over water slide decals from the 1/72 kit. Here's the result:

04122010881.jpg

Nice. The pic is kinda small, but from what I can see, it looks like the decals actually fit pretty well still on the larger scale.

Well, the difference in scale is there but one just has to be creative in using which one where. A good example would be the white stickers on the tip of the guns on the armor pack -- the decals are too small that they don't go all the way around the nozzle. Same goes with the decals on the radar.

As for the ones that work great -- they're good to keep for reserve in case on of the details chip off. A perfect example would be the "001" and "SMS" on the Valk's shoulder on battroid mode.

Finally got my Tornado today. :)....

Anybody notice that the Tornado Valk has black antennae and hands now and the gun-pod is the correct purple color now? Also is it me or is it not as bright of a white than the original VF-25 DX?

Edited by logos

When will we ever have a decent VF-171 toy?? (there was the VF-17 chunky, but it's about time for an update). I am starting to think, like Graham, there is a global conspiracy against it, c'mon, look at the 1/250 collection for example...still no sign of the VF17 family? even the VF-4 has been finally materialized! Bandai: go ahead with the VF-171 Frontier version, Yamato: go ahead with the Diamond Force VF-17, now, off you go!

When will we ever have a decent VF-171 toy?? (there was the VF-17 chunky, but it's about time for an update). I am starting to think, like Graham, there is a global conspiracy against it, c'mon, look at the 1/250 collection for example...still no sign of the VF17 family? even the VF-4 has been finally materialized! Bandai: go ahead with the VF-171 Frontier version, Yamato: go ahead with the Diamond Force VF-17, now, off you go!

It is kind of odd that the valkyrie with probably the second highest episode count in all of Macross (after the VF-19 Custom) has only 1 toy made of it. If you add the VF-171 and the VF-17 together it is probably the most seen valkyrie in all of Macross. It may not have the most screen time but it it appears in the most of the Macross 7 episodes and a fair amount of Macross Frontier episodes.

Finally got my Tornado today. :)....

Anybody notice that the Tornado Valk has black antennae and hands now and the gun-pod is the correct purple color now? Also is it me or is it not as bright of a white than the original VF-25 DX?

Yes, the color has been revised (the Tamashii site mentioned this explicitly). I like the darker color (don't have the Tornado myself though).

Pics please. :)

It is kind of odd that the valkyrie with probably the second highest episode count in all of Macross (after the VF-19 Custom) has only 1 toy made of it. If you add the VF-171 and the VF-17 together it is probably the most seen valkyrie in all of Macross. It may not have the most screen time but it it appears in the most of the Macross 7 episodes and a fair amount of Macross Frontier episodes.

this highlights the vf-17 conspiracy theory even more!

I just got my DX Tornado and got the SWS version as well on the right side under wing, this sucks........ Is the first VALK that I get in almost eight years of my MACROSS hiatus........

I just simply loved, can wait to get my hands on the Luca and Michael customs, also want the armored Ozma and so.....

I don't think I will be able to work enough overtime in a month to cover for all of them at once.

Is there any communication from Bandai regarding a fix about this?

post-12806-1270880522_thumb.jpg

Other than that I just love it, with al packs attached this thing is huge in comparison to the old 1/60 Yamatos VF-1's, or maybe it's just the new toy smell....

post-12806-1270880727_thumb.jpg

Anyways, is there going to be any help from Bandai on this?

post-12806-1270880685_thumb.jpg

Hey there,

I'm fairly new to this, but I have seen Macross Frontier......I understand that the bandai DX has an SWS marking on it, but isn't that just SMS upside down?

Sorry if this was addressed earlier.

-Archer

*puts on tinfoil hat*

I have been asking for a VF-17 forever :(