Aircraft Vs Super Thread VI

Nied

• 3 weeks later...

So long Space Shuttle Atlantis. It was a good 30 years and I hope we get more ambitious programs in the near future.

Only if the present or next administration changes it's stance on NASA and space exploration. The way things are going it's all in the hands of the private sector now.

Personally, I've given up of seeing a man on the moon again in my lifetime, let alone on Mars.

Graham

• 3 weeks later...

Goodbye space shuttle, hello space capsules...making it look like we went backwards 40 years tech wise. <_<

We could only wish. Constellation is canceled and we go to nothing instead.

hey guys I just got back from the boston portsmouth airshow. While the static displays were kinda a letdown with only a hand full of the usual A-10s, C-5s, F-16s, etc. I did get a chance to see a plane I never thought I'd see in person, a MIG-17 "fresco". I also got to see a B-52H thats been in service since 1960 making possibly one of the oldest of the 52s still flying BD-60-0003. I have pics I'll post later on after I edit/crop them of the MIG with its L39 squad mates, a F4U corsair,the A-10s nose art, and the thunderbirds.

Apparently its name is "Shi Lang".

Anyways---J-20 doing a roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=GwBLUbYSVWI&feature=player_embedded

Also, an "OMG!" new Su-35 demo preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCQQU6qc7oc&feature=player_embedded

(skip to 2mins in)

PS--this is the "new" Su-35, not the Su-35 Ace Combat knows and loves. Same name, quite different variant.

It's not official from what I have read it's what the China watcher's community has latched onto. Shi Lang was a General who conquered Taiwan hundreds of years ago.

Shi Lang doesn't quite fit in with the naming conventions of all other PLAN ships and that name is not exactly without controvesy even in PRC itself. I highly doubt that will be or is the real name.

Holy crap that Su-35 demo was.. well.. seriously.. wtf do they even call that maneuver? I'm running out of aircraft terms...might have to resort to skateboarding stunts to describe what that plane just did. It looked like he pulled a half culbit into a controlled inverted flat-spin 180...then later pulled a full 360, and the video cut off before he approached 540.

There's no real frame of reference to see how much altitude he lost during all that spinning, but I'm reminded of that bit in Hot Shots where he claims to have learned a particular maneuver from Paula Abdul... or was it Nancy Kerrigan? :blink:

After all the times seeing various valks drop their legs to throw their thrust full forward and stop on a dime, I wondered if any real aircraft could pull off something similar without falling apart. Obviously the plane was tuned up, and lightened to let it do all that, but still, seeing a plane flip itself around and fly backwards to slow down is impressive.

Reminds me of the kinds of stunts guys in bi-planes tend to do.. or the F-22 I saw pull the jet equivalent of a hammerhead stall once.

Also, Russia should just state the obvious and call it the Tu-22.5, or maybe the Tu-45.. it's about what you'd get if you threw an F-22 and F-23 in a blender.

Want T-50 wallpaper?

Lots of brand-new high-quality pics:

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?aircraftsearch=Sukhoi%20T-50&distinct_entry=true

This one seems to indicate that the entire plane is one giant "no-step" area:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia---Air/Sukhoi-T-50/1970107/L/

When would YOU have ejected?

He didn't know he was on fire until the flames hit the cockpit, probably thought it was a bad landing that he could ride in up to that point. I'm more interested into what led to him misjudging his airspeed so badly on approach.