Aircraft Vs Super Thread VI

Nied

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that has to do with the rumors about the VSTOL version being possibly cancelled in favor of the navy version (the Royal Navy I think recently decided to go for the navalized version instead, meaning they'll have to adapt catapult carriers instead of ski-jumps).

The US was going to end it's Harrier development programs, and just move on, but it looks like they've pushed back the retirement to give them more time to find a proper replacement aircraft. Not that the F-35B won't ever fill the role, I just don't think it'll be ready by when they hoped, and they'll need those parts to keep the aging Harrier fleet running.

First production representative F-35A (finally) get's a paint job. I was originally going to complain about how slow things seem to be going for the F-35 program (this plane was rolled out at the end of 2008 and first flew last November), but then I realized that this is the second F-35 milestone bit I've posted about this week and it's only Wednesday, so maybe I'm being overly pessimistic.

the f-35 flew way earlier than last nov..ive seen it fly numerious times before then when i use to go TDY to edwards i would see them flying out towards palmdale all the time..i even got to see the sec or third test of the vtol system..be it from a couple miles a way.. think it was 07-08 time frame..

Su-35 (the new Su-35, not the original)

1:50----hammerheaded cobra?

2:55---that's pretty much just yelling out a big "F you, physics!"

sweet vid...and this is why the SU 35/37 are my favorite planes/jets...theres even a better one floating around that would put the f-22 flt characteristics to shame..

Edited by kaos13

Are you referring to the PAK FA?

naw still sticking w/ the SU 35/37....im a C/C on the KC 135 and went down to edwards many times when we(USAF) were in the testing phase of the 22 and got to see pretty much all the flt parameters that the 22 can do...even when it comes out to air shows it doesnt do anything close to what was shown in the vids ive seen of the 35/37/....even those are some badass pilots or the 22 is holding back.....but since ive been in 13 years nothing comes close to the 35/37 in the USAF inventory...and ive pretty much seen them all fly..even got to take look at the 2 remaining 71s that nasa has stored away at edwards..but i also grew up in the airforce so ive seen it numerous times b4...

Edited by kaos13

WWII planes launching off a nuclear carrier? Awesome.

F4U, B-25, and others on the USS Carl Vinson, circa 1995:

Protip: Additonal awesomeness at 9:15.

sweet was that a japanese zero at the end...AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. Those Mitchells practically leapt off the deck. That 2nd B-25 pilot got a little bit cocky with it, though. Bit of pucker-factor added to that takeoff. :p

I winder if those Corsairs and F4u could land on the deck can the carl Vincon arester gear go down that low?

I winder if those Corsairs and F4u could land on the deck can the carl Vincon arester gear go down that low?

Hehe, there's a hilarious comic-esque mental picture at the thought of that: a hapless pilot staring out of the cockpit in bug-eyed surprise, as his Corsair goes hurtling down the carrier deck--arrester gear snatched out and still hooked on the catch-wire just behind...

Low-level flight, always a fave. Many pics I'd not seen before: http://www.vintagewi...-Wagon-Rut.aspx

many thanks for the link! a good deal of those elicited a silent "Jeezus!" uttered to meself as I viewed them.

Speaking of low-level flying: there's nothing at once so awe inspiring--and a little bit terrifying--as watching a C-5 Galaxy doing ultra low level maneuvers. That, and 747's.

I wish my camera phone wasn't so crappy. The office I work at is just a couple of miles from the approach to the main runway for a small "international" airport that has been privy to some pretty exciting incoming traffic of late. I won't mention the airport name or location, as I'm sure discretion and security concerns warrant--and I don't want dudes in black suits to come knocking on my door. But this airport has an extremely long main runway, and enjoys traditionally good, clear weather conditions and relatively little air traffic; so it is apparently favored by the aircrew(s) of none other than A*r Fo*ce O*e for practicing takeoffs and landings. :blink:

The first time I saw it coming in for landing was a couple months back. Was on my way to lunch and saw the profile of a 747 coming in, clearly larger than any other plane usually seen coming/going from the airport. I glanced up as it got closer to passing overhead, and noticed the unmistakable blue and white colors, and thought: "the fu*k?!? was that? naw. couldn't be..." A search on the w'site of a local news station confirmed it as in fact the Commander In Chief's big bird, and the reason for it's being there--without the man himself on board.

About a week ago is when I got to see the C-5. They appeared to be doing the same thing, i.e. touch-and-go landings, to circle around and repeat. I'm quite sure the pilot must have been hot dogging a bit, as they made sure to circle in patterns that took the big bird over nearby nearby shopping centers and businesses--at really low altitudes. The engines sounded unlike any other jets I've heard before; and to hear that roar--almost like a shriek--coming well before you actually see that big mutha come looming over the trees/buildings at what looks like 1500-2000 ft or less; pretty impressive, indeed. The practical side of me kept wondering: why. isn't. it. stalling?!? The sheer size of that f'er, and its relative speed made it look like it was just hanging in the air. The 747 too, for that matter.

Edited by reddsun1

Due to having such massive differences between their empty and loaded weights (and the 747's triple-slotted flaps) they can go VERY slow when light. A 747-400 can actually carry more than its own weight in fuel alone.

Also, the C-5 is famous for its very unique-sounding engines. They are the world's first high-bypass turbofans.

Kinda like this:

1:12 - swear to God: that's the altitude that big f'er was at for most of its 5-6 passes over the neighborhood around my office...

Cool! Definitely a unique sound.

Kinda reminds me of my most memorable experience with an aircraft. A Concorde rumbling by on take-off just a few hundred feet away while I was on the tarmac at JFK airport.

Edited by Vifam7

awwwe good old F.R.E.D(F**king Ridiculous Economic Distaster)..i flew on one in 2002 and w/o a doubt the smoothest take off and landing ive ever had on a jet.it was so smooth that when we took off.. i tought we were still on the ground until we started banking..and other than the distinct sound of rubber hitting the tarmac i didnt even notice we were on the ground on landing....and i fly a lot...LOL...