Aircraft Vs Super Thread VI

Nied

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me, or does that Focke Wulf look like it's a 3/4 scale version? :blink:

ed: Wow. One can get a full-scale replica of a Fw-190, with the sufficient resources. Half-a-mil will get you a full scale P-51, if that suits your tastes. And from a German company, no less. Oh, the irony. <_<

http://www.flugwerk.de/html/page.php?GID=20&SID=5

Edited by reddsun1

Iraq is apparently rebooting its air force and has agreed to buy 18 F-16's (Block 52's according to the article). Source .

I am glad the ~50 USD it took me to refuel my 12.5 gallon vehicle each time over the summer is being put to good use! :D oh I kid I kid... sorry mods :D

I didn't read anything about a project Supernova-like fly-off competition where ace pilots fight over women, punch themselves out in front of hospitals, and go off in the desert to chase dino-birds, to finally bury their differences and fight an AI drone Taranis prototype though...

I love the lines of the early P-40's. Effing gorgeous planes.

People can dog on 'em all they want--these planes [and the Airacobras too, for that matter] proved they were "good enough," held the line until better designs could come along and turn the tides for the Allies.

This one's funny, every time I see it...

Edited by reddsun1

It's about as real as an Fw190A gets. (technically, as that particular one was re-built in France from spare parts in 1944/45, it's not *truly* an Fw190A---but that's like saying a Canadian-built CF-5A isn't really an F-5A Freedom Fighter)

Considering how incredibly rare Fw190A's are and this one is like 100% original parts... (though I don't agree with their claim it's an A-8---it's at least an A-5 or later, but not an A-8 or A-9. I stretched as high as I could but couldn't get high enough to look for the upper wing gun bulges---but the pitot tube position alone makes it "not an A-8"). I wonder if it could actually be an A-8 fuselage with an A-7 wing, and that would be why it's considered an A-8, based on the original Wk.nr, if it was retained through the re-build)

::edit:: Yup, found some history. It is part A-8 and part A-7. One site said "unknown what's what" but I think it's pretty clear it's an A-8 fuselage on an A-7 wing.

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/20110929p2g00m0dm016000c.html

Near fatal roll and dive of an ANA flight caused by "the co-pilot, in trying to unlock the cockpit door for the captain who was returning from a rest room in the cabin, mistook the rudder trim knob for the cockpit door lock switch nearby".

I would kind of have hoped that aircraft cockpits would make that kind of mistake sort of hard to make.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Well this is somewhat good news for the Raptor.

http://www.newsherald.com/articles/force-96998-resume-tyndall.html

F-22 to resume flights

September 20, 2011 07:47:32 AM

RANDAL YAKEY / News Herald Writer

TYNDALL AIR FORCE BASE — After more than four-and-a-half months of being grounded, the F-22 Raptor once again will take to the skies.

Secretary of the Air Force Michael Donley and Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz on Monday announced an implementation plan developed by Air Combat Command officials that will allow the F-22 Raptor to resume flight operations, according to Air Combat Command officials.

“We now have enough insight from recent studies and investigations that a return to flight is prudent and appropriate,” Schwartz said in a news release Monday. “We’re managing the risks with our aircrews, and we’re continuing to study the F-22’s oxygen systems and collect data to improve its performance.”

Air Combat Command officials said they developed a comprehensive incremental return-to-fly plan that balances safety and the expedient qualification of pilots against the inherent risks of flying advanced combat aircraft, officials said.

Neither the Air Force nor Lockheed Martin has said much over the past few month other than they were investigating the problem.

The problem with the F-22 oxygen system came to light in November when an F-22 crashed just outside Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska, killing the pilot, Capt. Jeff Haney. Air Force officials briefly halted F-22 fights out of Elmendorf after the crash.

The Air Force confirmed “a parallel investigation” of the on-board oxygen systems of the A-10, F-15E, F-16, F-35 and T-6 aircraft, none of which fly out of Tyndall. Tyndall Air Force Base officials said other aircraft continue to fly to and from the base.

Raptor sorties had been restricted to an altitude of 25,000 feet or below for training missions because of the oxygen system malfunctions, according to Air Force officials.

Tyndall Air Force Base is the home of the 325th Fighter Wing, whose primary mission is to provide air training for F-22 Raptor pilots, as well as maintenance personnel and air battle managers.

Training for F-22 pilots is performed in the 43rd Fighter Squadron at Tyndall. The 325th Air Control Squadron trains air battle managers for assignment to combat Air Force units.

Tyndall and other local military officials could not be reached for comment Monday night.

Read more: http://www.newsherald.com/articles/force-96998-resume-tyndall.html#ixzz1aPSd2pOL

cool.gif

Somebody is bound to have gotten in trouble for this...

LOL, that is way cool.

Graham

F-35B makes first landing on USS Wasp:

(man, I just can't get over how fragile and drag-inducing the aux intake door looks, compared to the sleek folding doors on the X-35)

One of the many weight saving measures they had to make I guess.

Graham

• 2 weeks later...