Aircraft Vs Super Thread VI

Nied

On a sad note:

If you've ever been to an airshow in the US the past decade you've likely seen one or more of the Franklin family perform (jet-powered biplane, wing-walking, etc), and you might have heard about Kyle and Amanda's crash a few weeks ago. Kyle seems mostly healed up now, but Amanda is in *far* worse shape than most people realized:

http://wjon.com/wingwalker-undergoes-surgeries-recovering-from-air-show-crash/

Kyle goes into greater detail here:http://www.facebook.com/notes/franklins-flying-circus/amanda-up-date-3-24-11/190332324341647

I couldn't help but notice that his description matches closely with her glove design, seems that was the difference:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/200202_160489877342404_100001441784679_369393_7253236_n.jpg

I was researching for a paper and I found this:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2007/05/f35_helmet_display_system_to_s/.

Am pretty sure most of the parts on there are useless; however, this is pretty attractive in my opinion.

Edited by Audentia

Quick little thought I had---you can usually spot an enthusiast just by how they spell "MiG". Most people won't capitalize the G.

I see that aswell. I'm just lazy about the capitalization. :p

If you've got the caps - I mean, if you've got the money, you can now buy Rivet City - I mean, you can now buy the former HMS Ark Royal from the Ministry of Defence. Mirelurks and water purification system extra.

Are there any Super Mutants lurking in the bowels that I should know about?

Edited by Shadow

Cool---a JDAM about 1 second from impact in Libya:

pb-110329-missile-jw.photoblog900.jpg

No pics, but it seems a couple of A-10's sank some gunships off the coast with their Avenger cannon. I can't recall ever hearing of an A-10 being used for naval ops.

I have not seen this angle of the T-50 before:

t-50-2_1st_flight_11_big.jpg

Very interesting--the spine is very flat on top, the boat-tail seems to be almost a perfect hexagon in cross-section.

Are there any Super Mutants lurking in the bowels that I should know about?

Well, the Royal Navy often refers to RAF personnel as "crabs", mirelurks are mutated crabs, and RAF pilots have flown from her, so... :)

No pics, but it seems a couple of A-10's sank some gunships off the coast with their Avenger cannon. I can't recall ever hearing of an A-10 being used for naval ops.

Only other incident I can think of is fictional, in Tom Clancys "The Hunt For Red October". I also recall reading some time ago that the A-10 could use a version of the Maverick with a different blast warhead for use against shipping.

Well, the Royal Navy often refers to RAF personnel as "crabs", mirelurks are mutated crabs, and RAF pilots have flown from her, so... :)

Only other incident I can think of is fictional, in Tom Clancys "The Hunt For Red October". I also recall reading some time ago that the A-10 could use a version of the Maverick with a different blast warhead for use against shipping.

My link Defense tech.org has a article + pic showing a P-3 orion firing a maverick missile.

Huh. They have windows stretching all the way to the nose.. Why not replace the nose with clear "glass" anyway? Great for tourists. :)

(Then of course my brain went to "hmm, let's add a bombsight, then maybe rig a bomb bay, some defensive MGs maybe... Hey! B-747-17..... :lol: )

Edited by Lynx7725

Huh. They have windows stretching all the way to the nose..

Been like that since the first one in 1969. Though the front 1 or 2 are blanked by many airlines. It's an oft-missed fact that the pilots do not have the forward-most seats on a 747.

• 2 weeks later...

Those look.. really interesting actually. The F-23 variant is kind of obviously based on the real aircraft, but that F-21 looks like someone mixed the F-23 with the Falken/Morgan from Ace Combat... and arguably, I'd say that design looks much more feasible.

Wow, know it's from the previous page, but way to bring back old memories. I had a few of those Ring Raiders planes.. If I recall correctly... An orange Harrier with red stripes, a red X-29 with yellow stripes, a red/orange F-86, and a silver F-19 (the teardrop shaped version as opposed to the droopy wing one). Don't know where these are, but I remember the little mounts for the rings tended to break very easily.

On the other hand, I still have my entire set of Flying Fighters, all in really decent condition still (last I checked, the sound-effect flight sticks all still work). Stickers are wearing out, especially on the F-14 and F-18, but they're all pretty functional still. Made me really really happy when I discovered that the crazy huge missile supplies for those all worked on my GI Joe stuff from the same era, mostly the Hurricane.. I had that sucker loaded for bear with racks of bullpup and phoenix missiles. :)

Have any of you guys seen the comic Titanium Rain?

Based about 20 years in the future after the F-35 is in the full swing of things.

I met one of the creators at Wondercon this year and kind of forgot about the whole thing until I was cleaning and found the card.

post-385-0-49639000-1304542456_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-91929000-1304542466_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-10245200-1304542476_thumb.jpg

Essentially, the tail section, including tail rotor of a chopper around the size of a blackhawk, but not one known about in the public domain was found and photographed outside the Bin Laden compound. The rest of the chopper was destroyed by the SEAL team in question after what's thought to be a mechanical failure.

photo here:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2011/05/secret-helicopter-revealed-in.html

Beyond that, it's just a load of speculation and guesswork.

So, what do you guys think the odds are of the US acknowledging the existence of this chopper and/or revealing it within the year now that those pictures have been around the globe?

Not very good. "It's a modified Blackhawk". That's the story and they'll stick to it. Wouldn't matter if it's 99% new and only uses the original tires. :)