What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v3.0

wolfx

Charts for the new Spring season are showing up:

http://thecartdriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Spring-2011-v3.jpg

http://brianandrew.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/20101230_spring2011.jpg

Seems that off-beat and weird are the keywords this time around. Some good SF prospects though with Appleseed XIII (I hope Production IG does for it what they did for GitS) and Steins;Gate (although I hated Chaos;Head, I'm willing to give this a chance). Also the two historical dramas interest me greatly. Otherwise, I'll do my usual watching of each first episode and go from there with what to stick with.

watched .hack//quantum ova 1. I really liked it. //roots was so frustrating, didn't bother watching the last disc or continue the games. Just didn't care about those characters anymore. If anyone else had a slight interest in .hack, quantum is worth checking out imo.

Charts for the new Spring season are showing up:

http://thecartdriver...ing-2011-v3.jpg

http://brianandrew.f..._spring2011.jpg

Seems that off-beat and weird are the keywords this time around. Some good SF prospects though with Appleseed XIII (I hope Production IG does for it what they did for GitS) and Steins;Gate (although I hated Chaos;Head, I'm willing to give this a chance). Also the two historical dramas interest me greatly. Otherwise, I'll do my usual watching of each first episode and go from there with what to stick with.

Lotte no Omocha....wow, what a crazy future we live in. Thank you Panty & Stocking.

Don't know how I could forget to tell you that I began watching Combattler V a whiiile back: 35 eps in and I wonder how I can put up with such torture – every new episode is a carbon copy of any other one; I also wonder why they bothered numbering them because you can watch them in any order you want without changing anything...

It's not that the show doesn't present any merits at all but every good and/or innovative (for the epoch) idea the scenario throws in is eradicate at the end of the ep, then preventing the whole series to orientate itself in a truly interesting direction.

Less than 20 eps to finish this and I'll know why it is considered by some as a legend among the super robot shows from the 70s. Or not...

Same problem with Mazinger Z, I'm about half way now, but it's not something I can marathon. It's an interesting show and I can see why it's innovations have influenced mecha so much. However all it's ideas have been copied so extensively that it makes it hard to fully enjoy the original.

As for the Spring season, Appleseed is a much watch for me and I'll check out the new shows from the big studios and Kampfer as a guilty pleasure. This season looks quite high on the usual fetish pandering for otakus.

Holy crap, Maho Shojo Madoka Majika is so "gritty" (not really the right word, but I'm at a loss trying to describe this re-invention of the genre).They should just call this show Battlestar Maho Shojo Mobile Suit Witch Wars chronicles with guest directors Ronald D. Moore and Yoshiyuki "The Killer" Tomino.

Edited by Ghost Train

You gotta love those old formulaic 70's Giant Robot shows. A few years back I downloaded the dubbed Voltes V show I had watched as kid and while dub wasn't AWEFUL it was like the US Voltron dub so nothing to write home about but wow was that show boring after episode 5 till the last 5 it was the same thing over and over. This is coming from a man who loves his super robots. While some of the giant robot shows have decent plots the problem is the same plot could have been told in half or a third of the time. Zambot 3 is a good example 26 episodes tells a decent story and still has all the nonsense over the top robot action you can hope for.

Finished Gundam War in the Pocket. Loved it. First I was worried about having a kid as the main character, but it actually works really well. As a matter of fact, my personal opinion is that the antiwar message of Gundam is more effectively portrayed in this OVA than in some of the other series.

And Bernie's death really hits you.

Edited by Marzan

Finished Gundam War in the Pocket. Loved it. First I was worried about having a kid as the main character, but it actually works really well. As a matter of fact, my personal opinion is that the antiwar message of Gundam is more effectively portrayed in this OVA than in some of the other series.

And Bernie's death really hits you.

I had that same concern about Alfred, but its a great Gundam OVA, my favorite is still 0083 Stardust Memories OVA-Movie. But the combat scenes, story, violence and Christina MacKenzie make "War in the pocket" a classic, and yes the ending is a hard hitter!

Been watching Macross Plus, M Frontier, GUNBUSTER and Bubblegum Crisis the last few days. Also I'm sure I'm late on this one, but came across this on Youtube the other day, Enjoy:

My link

Same problem with Mazinger Z, I'm about half way now, but it's not something I can marathon. It's an interesting show and I can see why it's innovations have influenced mecha so much. However all it's ideas have been copied so extensively that it makes it hard to fully enjoy the original.

[...]

True: Mazinger's a classic because it brought something new to the mecha genre, when Combattler V didn't expand onto anything...

You gotta love those old formulaic 70's Giant Robot shows. A few years back I downloaded the dubbed Voltes V show I had watched as kid and while dub wasn't AWEFUL it was like the US Voltron dub so nothing to write home about but wow was that show boring after episode 5 till the last 5 it was the same thing over and over. This is coming from a man who loves his super robots. While some of the giant robot shows have decent plots the problem is the same plot could have been told in half or a third of the time. Zambot 3 is a good example 26 episodes tells a decent story and still has all the nonsense over the top robot action you can hope for.

I plan to watch Zambot 3 soon, and Daitarn 3 just after. But I agree with you: most of the super robot shows are just as good as their best eps, and usually the last bunch of the total.

I also tend to prefer the recent prods of the super robot subgenre: even if they don't have much more to say, they are at least pretty...

Finished Gundam War in the Pocket. Loved it. First I was worried about having a kid as the main character, but it actually works really well. As a matter of fact, my personal opinion is that the antiwar message of Gundam is more effectively portrayed in this OVA than in some of the other series. [...]

0080 is made of win and gold :)

I plan to watch Zambot 3 soon, and Daitarn 3 just after. But I agree with you: most of the super robot shows are just as good as their best eps, and usually the last bunch of the total.

Even Zambot 3 sags in the middle a bit, but keep with it...it's TOTALLY worth it. ^_^

Holy crap, Maho Shojo Madoka Majika is so "gritty" (not really the right word, but I'm at a loss trying to describe this re-invention of the genre).They should just call this show Battlestar Maho Shojo Mobile Suit Witch Wars chronicles with guest directors Ronald D. Moore and Yoshiyuki "The Killer" Tomino.

Trademarks of Gen urobochi. Very dark stuff.

Good lord latest ep came sorta out of nowhere....that death felt kinda rushed.

Currently watching Freezing. Basically a lot of girls combating each other ending with ecchii results. The series is like a combination of Ikki Tousen and Aika.

Finished Kaze no Stigma. It is a decent series that is fun to watch with some humor, like Chrome Shelled Regios.

Currently watching Freezing. Basically a lot of girls combating each other ending with ecchii results. The series is like a combination of Ikki Tousen and Aika.

Finished Kaze no Stigma. It is a decent series that is fun to watch with some humor, like Chrome Shelled Regios.

tried freezing only got through about 3 episodes. too much fan service and other stuff.

Chrome Shelled Regios was very different.

I'm looking for some recommendations. I only have time to watch one anime from the past year or two right now, and I need some suggestions.

As it was recommended to me by a member on this board, I highly recommend Katanagatari. The story and animation are superb.

Edit: I also highly recommend Toki o Kakeru Shōjo (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time). It came out in 2006 but it's definitely worth a watch.

Edited by Oihan

I'm looking for some recommendations. I only have time to watch one anime from the past year or two right now, and I need some suggestions.

Katanagatari

(drat oihan beat me to it)

A lot would depend on the sort of thing you like, but for hitting a lot of bases, you really can't go wrong with Katanagatari, so I'll just third it. Plus you get the added advantage of longer episode lengths allowing for fuller stories.

Is there a preferred release of Katanagatari?

Mazui are the only ones I know of who finished subbing the series. I didn't have any problems with their work on it.

As for me, I just finished the fourth Break Blade movie and it was awesome. I hope five isn't too long coming now. With all of the mecha fans on this board, I'm surprised it isn't getting more talk.

Cause its an OVA/theathrical release....the release dates are far between....i did mention how awesome it was. Haven't watched 4 yet...but 3 was awesome with that new armour stuff.

I hope they reveal why rygart is able to pilot the delphine and how it got to where it was.

Edited by wolfx

I have enjoyed Break Blade so far, even if it feels Gundam Seed-ish at times.

In an era where good quality real robot mecha shows are far and few between, this is a welcomed addition.

I think either 6 or maybe 10 installments are planned.

In an era where good quality real robot mecha shows are far and few between, this is a welcomed addition.

Do you blame it on a certain voice? :p

I wonder how are they going to end the films, since the manga (according to Wikipedia) is still ongoing... Think they might try to aim for a simultaneous ending for both manga and the movies?

so what is this exactly SailerMoon with fancy graphics??

The giant "Super Dimensional" aliens in Freezing reminds me of the Angels in Evangelion.

And using girls just in skimpy outfits(not really an issue) to fight off these aliens is questionable. The girls should be issued EVA units or at least some giant mecha. Gunbuster comes to mind.

so what is this exactly SailerMoon with fancy graphics??

It's a dark anime; don't let the first couple of episodes fool you. I've watched 9 of the episodes and it's a pretty good thus far.

Does Katanagatari get better after episode 1? It may be the most wordy anime I've ever seen; I felt like I was reading a book.

Well...it is one of the wordier anime but the dialogue in itself is its strongpoint. If its not your kinda thing well.... :/

And to second oihan, Madoka is getting darker by the minute. So awesomez.

Broken Blade is one of those RARE very well done Mecha Animes!

I love the series so far. Not since Escaflowne, Gurann Lagann have I got that choking feeling in the back of my throat. I love the opening theme. Who sings it so I can download it. I am uploading the the opening them right now on youtube.