What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v3.0

wolfx

Kinda sad I never picked up a copy of Venus Wars, but then I'm sure it'll get relicensed someday. Just watched Eden of the East TV. Best way I can describe it is as "The Irresponsible Jason Bourne", and an overall pretty fun series. Can't wait to see how the movies wrap things up.

Kinda sad I never picked up a copy of Venus Wars, but then I'm sure it'll get relicensed someday. Just watched Eden of the East TV. Best way I can describe it is as "The Irresponsible Jason Bourne", and an overall pretty fun series. Can't wait to see how the movies wrap things up.

haven't watched the 2nd movie but apparently, it doesn't. :(

In other news, BD of the Frontier movie is out. Expecting subs soon. :D

OK-----Just started watching Macross 7 for the first time thanks to a guy on the forums here. It's not bad, actually getting a little better with each episode. I'm about 6 or so into it. Already tired of the songs, but hey, it's Macross, whatta gonna do??? LOL'ed a couple of times at Basara's lines. I really like his character and the question of his background so far. Liking the Max/Millia divorced/on the outs story line also. Mylene's annoying, but what 14 yr old girl isn't? And what's up with the drummer in the band? Never says a word. And it looks like a girl with breasts, but is it a guy??? LOL?? Anyway, back to the action! B))

yeah" venus wars" voice work/acting feels dated,but it,s a beautiful all hand drawn work of art!!Great colouring 80.s/90,s old skool!

The ending has that animation over live footage that just doesn,t work!!!(evolving into ending credits}

Just rewatched -"grey digital target".

Altough I love the manga,the anime chops the story up with a blunt knife!!!I wish someone would have the insight to redo grey ,or atleast do a 1/6 action figure.

"Justy cosmo police" was another I watched for the first time,and it was OK ,but the manga wins out again.

Not sure if there are any Berserk fans but if so get pumped around a week ago a new anime project, whatever it is be it OVA or TV, was announced and then 5 commercials aired showing off all sorts of awesomeness from the manga that was cut from the original show like Skull Knight and judging by a few leaked screen shots from last year showing Puck and post eclipse Casca it will cover more then the golden age arc.

Griffith and guts

Zodd

Casca + behilit

Compilation

Skull Knight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL4aTvcNqKo&feature=player_embedded

Get pumped

Not sure if there are any Berserk fans but if so get pumped around a week ago a new anime project, whatever it is be it OVA or TV, was announced and then 5 commercials aired showing off all sorts of awesomeness from the manga that was cut from the original show like Skull Knight and judging by a few leaked screen shots from last year showing Puck and post eclipse Casca it will cover more then the golden age arc.

Griffith and guts

Zodd

Casca + behilit

Compilation

Skull Knight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL4aTvcNqKo&feature=player_embedded

Get pumped

HELL YES!!!

Not 100% anime-related (well, it'll eventually be animated)... I shed a single manly tear of sadness for this.

bleach_18.png

I felt that the last arc was prematurely ended... perhaps Kubo sensed that the battle was raging on like foreeeeeeever. I can't wait for it to resume in 2 weeks, it'd be interesting to see what direction the series moves.

Watching full metal panic. so far .... meh.

Edit mk1

Definately looks like Gainax has another winner

Now I just wonder who will license it, Funi or Sentai.

Hopefully not funi. I'm sick of hearing their dubs.

I think this is Gainax way of trying to take moe to the next level.. and possibly killing it.

Watched Iron man anime. Wasn't bad. Wish they had spent more on the cg.

Star Driver's first episode was pretty impressive. Nice art and animation but have to wonder what kind of drugs these guys are on...I have no idea what this episode was all about :blink:

My money is on acid.

or canibus.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Stumbled upon an old anime called "Iczer One." What the heck is going on here?? Girls are hardly wearing anything and being too friendly(hint hint) with each other. As Borat would say "Very nice!"

Stumbled upon an old anime called "Iczer One." What the heck is going on here?? Girls are hardly wearing anything and being too friendly(hint hint) with each other. As Borat would say "Very nice!"

Ah, Iczer-1...I loved it when I was 14, but now I just find it embarrassing...

I believe it's also the first anime to ever feature "naughty tentacles"...

Started last season's Sekimatsu Occult Gakuin. Top notch animation with your token tsundere character and a time traveller guy working together to stop Nostradamus' predictions from coming true in the future....or something like that. Looks fun.

Really enjoying oreimo atm. Story is somewhat similar to Nogizaka Haruka no himitsu (girl who has closet otaku tendencies) but Kirino is more fun and has more character than Haruka.

The World Only God knows....what's with all these otaku pandering anime getting really good production values? Story about some dude who is the "God" of eroge who can "capture" any 2D girl but one day is tasked to make real girls fall in love with him due to a pact with a demon.

Watched the second ep of Panty & Stocking, and I have to truly say, bravo Gainax. This show is successfully doing something that's so common place here, it almost seems trivial, until you take into account the source. This is Japan parodying America, and spot on at that. Style, story, content, I'm really impressed, and anxious to see just where they're going to go. Yeah, we may be used to doing tihs kind of things to our culture, but I think it's pretty awesome to see someone else do it for a change.

but now I just find it embarrassing...

Heh, i can understand why.

Still it's a pretty entertaining 80s show. It looks pretty, has kick arse music, and good looking girls. You can't go wrong.

Edited by shiroth

I just watched the Unlimited Blade Works movie - although I enjoyed it, I think the pacing was a bit too fast. Wasn't so much of a problem for me as I saw the anime and am somewhat familiar with the Nasuverse, having said that, someone who has not watched the series, or played the game would just be completely lost - but anyways, it's clear it was targeted to the fans.

The whole movie is like a fighting game, it literally goes from 1 fight to the next with very little transition in between. The fights themselves were pretty so so for the most part, except for Archer's initial duel with Berserker, and Shiro's final showdown with Gil being the most spectacular. A better approach would have been to split it up into 2 films.

Now, some good points: the characters seem to have been upgraded for their big screen debut. Archer looks much more buff than on the anime, and despite only a short appearance, Rider looks as sexy as ever... most important of all, it seems that our 2 heroines - Tohsaka and Saber have both had a substantial erm... Oppai upgrade :D (much more so for Saber). Yes, Saber in a white dress was the high point of the movie for me :p .

Being a Saber fanboy I was hoping for the harem end, so I was a bit disappointed. But this is Rin's story, so it's understandable.

Edited by Ghost Train

Watched the second ep of Panty & Stocking, and I have to truly say, bravo Gainax. This show is successfully doing something that's so common place here, it almost seems trivial, until you take into account the source. This is Japan parodying America, and spot on at that. Style, story, content, I'm really impressed, and anxious to see just where they're going to go. Yeah, we may be used to doing tihs kind of things to our culture, but I think it's pretty awesome to see someone else do it for a change.

I'm not sure if they are just parodying American 90s cartoons but even more so taking the piss at the whole otaku obsession with pure and innocent female characters. Using a more cartoony format might just allow it to remain tongue in cheek without insulting fans. As it's such familair material I found it a bit of a chore to get through the first episode. Still Gainax deserves the benefit of the doubt to try soemthing different.

Started last season's Sekimatsu Occult Gakuin. Top notch animation with your token tsundere character and a time traveller guy working together to stop Nostradamus' predictions from coming true in the future....or something like that. Looks fun.

I found all three Anime no Chikara shows sofar to be quite interesting. They seem to have plenty of money to spend on these projects.

The World Only God knows....what's with all these otaku pandering anime getting really good production values? Story about some dude who is the "God" of eroge who can "capture" any 2D girl but one day is tasked to make real girls fall in love with him due to a pact with a demon.

Tell me about it...I think Giant Killing was one of the best shows of the year, but it had low production values. The total disinterest in terms of sales leaves a second season very much in doubt. Seems pandering to said tastes is the only way to get sponsors to invest.

Aside from re-watching Macross, Turn-A-Gundam and Haruhi Suzumiya, I've been trying to get all of the episodes of the Space Runaway Ideon anime reviewed. So far, I've reviewed the first five episodes. Having a little trouble finding episodes beyond 8 - but still happy to have this.

Here are the reviews for episodes 1-5 with lots of screencraps: http://dyrl.pl/kategorie.html?cat_id=116

Pete

I have added soredemo machi wa mawatteiru to my lineup. After 1 eps I feel that this show has some heavy potential. Whereas Kaichou Wa Maid Sama is principally a Bishonen title with some modern tropes, Soredemo combines Tactical/Action Maid Espionage Action with the absurdist style of Arakawa Under the Bridge.

Aside from re-watching Macross, Turn-A-Gundam and Haruhi Suzumiya, I've been trying to get all of the episodes of the Space Runaway Ideon anime reviewed. So far, I've reviewed the first five episodes. Having a little trouble finding episodes beyond 8 - but still happy to have this.

Here are the reviews for episodes 1-5 with lots of screencraps: http://dyrl.pl/kateg...html?cat_id=116

Pete

After having rewatched Mobile Suit Gundam some weeks ago, I was planning to check out Ideon, so what better than to check it out and then read your reviews.

Nice website by the way.

I have added soredemo machi wa mawatteiru to my lineup. After 1 eps I feel that this show has some heavy potential. Whereas Kaichou Wa Maid Sama is principally a Bishonen title with some modern tropes, Soredemo combines Tactical/Action Maid Espionage Action with the absurdist style of Arakawa Under the Bridge.

Sounds pretty good then. Kaichou wa Maid Sama exceeded my expectations and tho I haven't gotten around to see much of Arakawa, the humor did appeal to me.

Finished watching the second season of Darker than Black and have to say that I actually enjoyed it more than the first. Having one story arc that stretched through all the 12 episodes worked much better for me than the two episode arcs used throughout the first season. And by removing some of the needless comic relief, they made the story just more compact.

As for the ending, well, I really didn't expect too many explanations, but I think it wasn't as cryptic as the one from season one.

Nice music too!

I officially decleare Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru the only show I give a damm about this season. It is simply the ultimate evolution of the maido-formula. Also Omigawa Chiaki's voice is just too cute (she's also Pico from Arakawa under the Bridge)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIDmvCESXag

Edited by Ghost Train