1/10 and 1/6 "Macross The First" Minmay Statue

EXO

I can do progress shots like most people. I don't want to take pics with my camera while it's all puttied up. It's bad enough I gotta kick off the keyboard with my feet when I post on MW while sculpting...

My WIPs pretty much look like this...

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=32672

LOL! We have something in common then! :D

• 2 weeks later...

ooops... you see how bad the build up is already... I forgot to mention you should sketch out a front view of your character so you can lay out your skeleton frame to scale... no pic of wire frame. :( forgot!

gallery_151_415_13375.jpg

I was thinking about sculpting the whole thing in wax but then I didn't want to have to do a brush on mold... materials I don't have at home, so I'm covering the wax with a layer of putty

gallery_151_415_28396.jpg

You can use whatever putty you want, I'm using the same stuff that I used for my 1/60 figures, which is really meant for miniatures but I'll stick with it. People usually use milliput, kneadtite, plumbers putty or that crazy bondo stuff (nasty dangerous fumes). If you want something non-toxic, try something called apoxie. I like using wax because it's reusable. I no longer work with sculpey because I hate having to heat it and it usually cracks. People love it though.

Geez, that left leg is so off... gotta fix that...

so the leg gets filled in

gallery_151_415_22699.jpg

and shave a little bit off... draw out the patterns to see where we're at amd where were going...

gallery_151_415_13651.jpg

next... lots of sanding...

that green head is just to help in positioning... its just clay and will be replaced.

thanks!

Sand sand sand!

The idea here to sand the legs down pretty much close to completion because I'm going to lay the bottom half of the dress over them. It has to be prepared so we can position the folds and you don't want to have to go back and sand nooks that will be too hard to reach later.

gallery_151_415_1760.jpg

Try boiling it in water. It doesn't burn and very little if any cracks. Takes a bit longer but worth it in the end.

Rob

Hey rob!

I'm not talking about during sculpting but over all after you're done, sculpey becomes brittle and might crack in display. Especially if you're clumsy as me. But as far as heating it up while working it, I use a heat gun and slowly heat up the compound in layers. I make sure I keep the gun moving to keep from burning it. I use a aluminium base build up so that the center will heat up and bake when you heat it with the gun... it's quick and keeps you working without having to go to the oven or stove to prepare your surfaces. Another thing that turns me off from sculpey is that finer details like fingers break off easily...

so after more sanding... I removed the arms to be able to get in between there. and I decided to start on the head sculpt also...

sketching it out first to see how far I want to build up the putty before I start sculpting the face.

jNNa0.jpg

jNPF9.jpg

jNS9i.jpg

jNX8A.jpg

server reimage won't allow me to post up pics so I'm hosting it temporarily off site which puts up small thumbnails.

• 6 months later...

I'm glad I had a chance to "pop in." This is coming along nicely! How much are you charging? If it's within budget, I know a little girl who might your figure in her room. Yes, the children are Macross fans too! Make justifying my habbit easier ;^) - MT

I'm glad I had a chance to "pop in." This is coming along nicely! How much are you charging? If it's within budget, I know a little girl who might your figure in her room. Yes, the children are Macross fans too! Make justifying my habbit easier ;^) - MT

If i was EXO, i wouldn't sell such a creation. :p