LOST

Lost finishes when the SDF1 crashes onto the island.

Hmmm... I can totally see that working out . The Man in Black is basically Kadum , and he must not leave the island or he will transform into a giant biological mech that threatens to consume the planet with its black smoke tentacles. All we need is some sort of Power of Song factor, and I think Hugo Reyes would be perfect to fill the Minmei role.

On a more serious note, what has really interested me about the season is the alternate reality created when Juliet set off the bomb. It was nice seeing Linus in a different light as some nameless HS teacher. I'm still waiting to see what happens after Sayid met Jin in the alternate timeline after he iced the "merc" (I can't remember his name, only that in the other timeline he was one of the mercs sent to the island). Not sure how they will reconcile the two timelines at the end, but will patiently wait and watch.

Yes, I'm curious if the alternate timeline just somehow funnels everyone back onto the island anyway or if it goes the other route and shows you that they all just lived normal lives... taking their knocks at times and having good moments at others.

Of course the "gateway between hell and the rest of the world" explanation leaves plenty of holes... but now we have something.

No that this is a surprise but as we know the island also moves, we now know that, at one point, it was somewhere in the Atlantic (Black Rock starts in the Canary Islands, and is heading to the New World when it crashes).

I am am still of the impression that:

A) The island is the inspiration for the mythical city of Atlantis (NOT what the myths say Atlantis is)

-and-

B) That who is actually the good guy, Jacob or Smokey, may end up being reversed by the end of the season.

Lost finishes when the SDF1 crashes onto the island.

Someone needs to make that parody. Man in Black "Well you really blew it this time huh Jacob?" :p

Yeah I still don't know what's going down. Thought Ricard would turn out to be at least twice that old, but whatever.

No that this is a surprise but as we know the island also moves, we now know that, at one point, it was somewhere in the Atlantic (Black Rock starts in the Canary Islands, and is heading to the New World when it crashes).

I am am still of the impression that:

A) The island is the inspiration for the mythical city of Atlantis (NOT what the myths say Atlantis is)

-and-

B) That who is actually the good guy, Jacob or Smokey, may end up being reversed by the end of the season.

Yea... I was wondering about how a ship sailing to the new world from the Canary Islands ends up lost in the pacific.

As for Jacob vs. Smokey, I think they are both different kinds of evil (or good) and have both proven to be very persuasive in manipulating people to accomplish their goals. Their individual powers might also provide some clues about their intentions. Jacob can extend life, whereas Smokey can imitate life... not sure where I'm going with this :p

Okay, so the boat Richard was on was lifted into the air, smashed a statue, and ended up in pretty decent shape in the middle of a jungle? That doesn't sound right. A wood boat flying out of the water and hitting a statue sounds like it should have been splintered into oblivion.

I think it's pretty much laid out that the Man in Black is the evil side of the coin, but it's never really been said that Jacob is pure good but his job makes him the nobler person. I guess the white vs. black alludes to the whole good vs. evil. I believe that Jacob pretty much spelled out the struggle between the 2. One believes that man is corruptible and inherently bad (fate) vs. Man has a choice and hopefully can learn to make the correct one (science). The fact that Jacob can get off the island whenever he wants pretty much goes with his story that he's there to keep the MIB in.

The boat survived because Jacob brought it there, what doesn't make sense is that in the beginning of last season the boat arrived and it was pretty calm with both him and MIB staring out to it. Maybe that was a different boat.

Perhaps I've thought too much into this... but when did we start referring to Smokey as the Man in Black? I could be wrong, but this seems to be a fairly novel term that really started this season.

To me, the MIB term immediately conjures up the other MIB with pseudo-immortality (no, not the movie) from Stephen King's the dark tower. I think it's no coincidence that the recent usage of this term might somehow be related to the Dark Tower movie - which coincidentally is being worked on by, yep.. you guessed it: JJ Abrams, and Damon Lendelof. Not suggesting any form of crossover, but perhaps some clever viral tie-ins are on the horizon.

When Jacob sat down next to the Man in Black there at the end of the story, the first thing that came to my mind (and my mouth!) was "Morning, Sam. Morning, Ralph."

post-1561-1269548870_thumb.png

Okay, so the boat Richard was on was lifted into the air, smashed a statue, and ended up in pretty decent shape in the middle of a jungle? That doesn't sound right. A wood boat flying out of the water and hitting a statue sounds like it should have been splintered into oblivion.

Not entirely implausible. Assuming the statue is really old and, also assuming, that is constructed in a similar manner to other ancient Egyptian statues (which were, and are, notoriously unstable, all things considered), the wave itself would probably have been enough to send it crashing to the ground. A glancing blow by a ship such as the Black Rock is just the icing on the cake.

Perhaps I've thought too much into this... but when did we start referring to Smokey as the Man in Black? I could be wrong, but this seems to be a fairly novel term that really started this season.

That's what the credits referred to him as, "Man in Black". They didn't reveal that he was the Smokey till this season.

Not entirely implausible. Assuming the statue is really old and, also assuming, that is constructed in a similar manner to other ancient Egyptian statues (which were, and are, notoriously unstable, all things considered), the wave itself would probably have been enough to send it crashing to the ground. A glancing blow by a ship such as the Black Rock is just the icing on the cake.

When Jacob brought the Black Rock to the island, he could might have over did it a little... "Wow..too much water." *Breaks statue* "Ewwww...My bad..."

Cheesiest moment of the entire last episode, Richard, Hurley, and Isabella share their moment, then the camera pans away and Locke looks sinisterly at the camera.... WTF was that? I actually LOLed after what had been a pretty touching moment.

I'm wondering what's keeping unLocke on the island. Jacob is dead. What is he building his army up for. It seems like Dogen was like a mini cork keeping smokey out of the temple. But as soon as he was dead the black smoke swarms in there and killed everyone. Can't wait to find out all this.

that pretty much answers my last question... the war is about the six candidates that's kinda like a combination to get MIB off the Island. Seems weird that Jacob, assigned to keep him on the Island would bring people that can potentially unleash him.. Or it's still the same problem that MIB has... kill the new guardian by killing all the candidates.

Excellent show last night though.

Something I've been thinking about...If Not-Locke wants to leave the island, why did he want Linus to stay behind and be his replacement? Why does he care if he wants to leave the island and not look back?

that pretty much answers my last question... the war is about the six candidates that's kinda like a combination to get MIB off the Island. Seems weird that Jacob, assigned to keep him on the Island would bring people that can potentially unleash him.. Or it's still the same problem that MIB has... kill the new guardian by killing all the candidates.

I think it's a door that can swing both ways. The "guardian" can keep him in as well as let him out.

• 2 weeks later...

In a discussion about a TV show featuring demi-gods, time travel/alternate realities, reincarnation/reanimation, teleportation, ghosts, and portable islands, it's probably a bit odd to get hung up on how realistic it is that a boat didn't disintegrate when it hit a statue or came to rest in the center of said island.

Your own sentence illustrates why the flying indestructible boat is something peculiar. Everything else you mentioned has a surreal explanation... the boat doesn't really get one. Did Jacob make the boat indestructible? Why did he call it to the island by way of bashing it into the place he hung out? I don't get how an island can travel through time and space so the writers are free to make their own rules. If they're going to tell me that something happend with rules I understand... like a wooden boat smashing into stone, I'd at least like them to do the courtesy of giving me some reason why the rules I know didn't apply. Anyway, what I wrote was just an observation of what appeared to be some pretty lazy "hmm, we have to give an answer to why a boat is in the middle of the island AND why Jacob's statue is ruined... let's kill two birds with one stone" writing and hardly something I'd say I'm hung up on. But, since you're the guy who can make a mountain out of "I really don't care" I invite you now to make this into something WAY more than it was ever intended to be.

Your own sentence illustrates why the flying indestructible boat is something peculiar. Everything else you mentioned has a surreal explanation... the boat doesn't really get one. Did Jacob make the boat indestructible? Why did he call it to the island by way of bashing it into the place he hung out? I don't get how an island can travel through time and space so the writers are free to make their own rules. If they're going to tell me that something happend with rules I understand... like a wooden boat smashing into stone, I'd at least like them to do the courtesy of giving me some reason why the rules I know didn't apply. Anyway, what I wrote was just an observation of what appeared to be some pretty lazy "hmm, we have to give an answer to why a boat is in the middle of the island AND why Jacob's statue is ruined... let's kill two birds with one stone" writing and hardly something I'd say I'm hung up on. But, since you're the guy who can make a mountain out of "I really don't care" I invite you now to make this into something WAY more than it was ever intended to be.

Well, the ship was surfing the wave and hit the very top of the statue so it's going to have physics on it's side. Those statues weren't carved out of a single block of stone but made up of several blocks stacked on top of each other, getting smacked by the ship and the accompanying massive wave seems like it would be enough to take it down. And those old wooden ships were built pretty sturdy.

What's left of the boat then rides the wave inland and comes to rest. There's plenty of real world examples of boats being found inland after large storm surges. Granted they're usually smaller vessels and not large passenger ships but whatever.

edit:: I agree it's a rather contrived bit of writing but I also agree with Hurin, the whole show is a giant exercise in deus ex machina.

Edited by eugimon

the boat serves a purpose, like everything and everyone else brought to the island and once the island is done with it...

kaboom!

At first I was mad that Ilana got such a shitty send off, but then I remembered how mad I was that they introduced Artnz just so they could kill him off. It wasn't really a shock because he was such a red shirt. So I changed my mind and decided that anger was just the shock I was looking for that was such a cheat with Arntz. But I feel like they rectified that whole Arntz thing by bringing him back continuously.

Hugo's story was pretty good and now we're starting to see a lot of dimensional cross overs due to some character's awakenings, especially Desmond's (I doubt we've seen the last of him). Speaking of... wow, what a kicker! Locke dumps Desmond in one universe and Desmond tosses him up in the other.

Like I said, loved the Hugo/Libby reunion, including Michael's appearance. One thing I noticed that was cool. Hurley's mom sets him up with a Rosalita and the Libby was brought on a short bus from Santa Rosa Mental Hospital... lol...

I thought it was funny that the Asian chick who was an extra at Mr. Clucks was also at the beach in a bikini during the date

I didn't notice who that was but I thought "Hmm, that extra must know somebody" at the beach scene since she was in such a prominent position.

EDIT - on the whole boat conversation, the great thing about LOST is they'll probably make a Lost-pedia book at some point to cash in that can easily go through every obvious WTF moment and give us a better understanding of why things worked out the way they did.

Edited by jenius

The dynamite scene came out of nowhere rofl! Pure genius.

I had written off the alternate universe as simply a happy-ending tale of all the Oceanic members living happy lives and dealing with their problems, but the merging of the 2 universes is becoming more and more interesting.

There was an interesting observation a while back any actor/actress caught breaking the law in the great state of Hawaii would have their characters pwnd on screen. Both Michelle Rodriguez and Cynthia Watros were arrested for DUI. Daniel Kim was also DUI not long ago... therefore I think the name on the wall is actually Jin's wife :p .

Jesus. . .

When Jacob sat down next to the Man in Black there at the end of the story, the first thing that came to my mind (and my mouth!) was "Morning, Sam. Morning, Ralph."

Me Too

all you needed was the punch cards and clock!

Desmond is ALL KICK ASS! I think he is a Jacob reborn much like smokey took the appearance of Locke

I bet he turns into a white puff of smoke and does the van tango with smokey

I m really not happy the real locke was killed off. Such a pivotal character and a good compliment to Jack with Jack now walking around with the DUH look!!!!!!!!!!!

Kabooooom well she wasnt popular!

Richard: no its white no its black no its white Ill spin you round right round .....

There be ghosts on de island cause patchy the pirate says so....although their ghosts they cant talk to each other. WTF Mother**** You say sorry to libby michael shes dead like you ! Oh wait a minute their is another ghost multiverse

I am the only one that thinks the writers have lost their marbles.....and decided to make the cities roads by throwing spagetti into the air????

Said: The guy has the most EVIL stare. YESSSSSSSSSS MASTER YESSSSSSSSS

blah