Wonder, why isnt there any vajra being made?

klvru

1st. Yamato doesn't have the Macross Frontier license, and not like to have it anytime in the near future.

2nd. Why not Bandai? Though they have the license, but I think the general situation is that enemy mechas don't normally sell well, thus manufacturers only produce "Hero" units most of the time, and from a mold milking point of view, they can't really milk the mold since there are no distinguished (red) Vajras . Even if bandai does decide to make them, it probably will be in a super small scale and gashapon type.

Of ocurse i'll be all over it if they decide to make one in 1/50, but I just don't see that happening

You don't own a real toy of a Regult or a Glaug yet and I would think those would be more popular than Vajra. Bandai did have plans for a Vajra model at one point though and all the models so far have become toys so who knows, maybe there's an outside chance. I wouldn't really bank on it though.

I don't know about that. Bandai makes Zaku and Flags so there must be some market for enemy mecha. Not as big as a market grant you.

I admit though that while I would buy a Glaug and Regault, if they made them, but not in the quantities that I buy VFs. 1/100 Robotech battle pods are one thing when they cost under $30 but we are talking what would probably be a $150+ toy. At that price I don't think Yamato or Bandai can sell enough to make a profit.

QueRau's probably a good example too for proof as to why they don't sell. That being said I do have one. Also I would tell anybody to stay clear of them unless they have the Mira figure or the toy came with a pilot fig. The toy pretty much sucks unless it has the pilot figure. I purchased the Mira figures (639?) for it and now I love it. Without it I was considering getting rid of it and I have not purchased another even though there is the Max Version. Which I might have purchased if it came with a Max figure now....... :(.

Edited by logos

I so very much want a Regult. I'll probably have at least 3, if/when they ever come out in 1/60. I also want a GREEN Q-rau and a Nos-Ger.

and that proves what exactly?

It proves that there is enough of a demand for Destroids to justify their continued manufacture when their prices fluctuate as much as generic valks that are mostly just off color variations of hero valks. Yamato isn't going to get nearly as much mileage from the Destroid molds compared to the VF-1, YF-19, and YF-21 molds yet the fact that the Destroids haven't been discontinued yet shows that there is some profit to be had. Yamato operates on a much smaller scale than Takara or Bandai and they don't have nearly as many resources so they have to be very careful about which molds they invest in yet we saw Destroids before some of the other more in demand valks.

I'm sure you don't care for the more generic mechs but there are enough people out there who buy them to make them profitable for Yamato.

You done? Good. :rolleyes:

Why no Vajra? Probably demand. There has to be a significant demand for a product to make it economically feasible. There has to be enough demand for it to actually be put into production. There is a market for enemy mechs, but there has to be a significant demand to actually put them into production. The VF-27 is considered the "enemy mech" and there was a demand for it, so they pushed forward on that. As for the Vajra? Maybe at a later time, but right now, I don't think there's a strong enough demand for it.

Just my 2 cents' worth, but Vajra's probably wouldn't make for very interesting figures, being the alien lobster-looking things that they are. IMO, Yamato sees it as a huge risk every time it manufactures enemy mecha or non-hero Valks, and logic would dictate that Vajra's are even less likely to sell than Q-Rau's and Destroids.

At least the Q-Rau's and Destroids had detailing and gimmicks--opening canopies and missile hatches, realistic missiles, etc. There really isn't much you could do for a Vajra figure to add to the value; no pilot, no missiles or accessories. At most, they might be able to include swappable battle-damaged limbs or carapaces. Honestly, I could just grab a boiled lobster from a restaurant and pose it in a fight scene with a VF-25, and I probably wouldn't notice the difference.

In any case, Yamato doesn't even have the license for Frontier, which means they can't even make VF-25's and -27, much less Vajra's.

Still, if and when Yamato DOES get the rights to manufacture stuff from the MF series, they could probably sell Vajra's at a super affordable price or maybe sell them in a set.

Any way I look at it, if Yamato still hasn't gotten around to making a green TV version Q-Rau for Milia, what with a readily available mold from the DYRL Q-Rau and confirmed demand for it, Vajra's might never see the light of day.

Still, if and when Yamato DOES get the rights to manufacture stuff from the MF series, they could probably sell Vajra's at a super affordable price or maybe sell them in a set.

When was anything from Yamato (or any Macross toy) super affordable?

:wacko:

Edited by Vifam7

I don't know about that. Bandai makes Zaku and Flags so there must be some market for enemy mecha. Not as big as a market grant you.

I think that in Gundam, Mobile Suits were just tools, both the good guys and bad guys have used them... sometimes interchangeably - hence they aren't really enemy mecha. The Zaku re-emerges as a Earth militia mech in Turn-A. The GM in 0079 was a "good side" mech, but the Titans made a variety of "evil" GM's like the Quel. Or the Rick Dias, which claims lineage from the Zeon Rick Dom but was an AEUG MS.

That's why I think marketing Gundam enemy MS was probably easier.

In Macross, Vajra is a confused semi-evil insect.

Edited by Ghost Train

I'd buy Vajra figures, even if they were "fully (un)posable" PVC figures. As long as they were in-scale (or at least somewhat) with the "good guy" toys. I love the little Red Vajra figure that came with Bandai's Quarter.

Edited by Vostok 7

I'm sure there's got to be some big insect looking toy out there that can be spray painted red, stick on an Eva unit 02 head and you're good to go.

You could always use Starship Troopers toys from the ill-fated but totally awesome Micro Machines line.

Even if the movie was questionable, the bug designs from that movie were awesome. Dunno why, but I love bug designs like that (like the Vajra, for instance).

I'm sure there's got to be some big insect looking toy out there that can be spray painted red, stick on an Eva unit 02 head and you're good to go.

OR you could make your own from scratch with a combination of lobster, crab, shrimp, and crayfish shells after a seafood dinner. They're all naturally red after you boil them, anyways. All you need is a resin base to hold the shell/carapaces together.

Just make sure to have a few cans of air freshener ready once the shells start to rot...or you could dip them in formaldehyde first :blink: