1/60 v.2 VF-1Sheryl Guard

Jasonc

OK, I have all the decals I need, and have two of the all white Yamato VF-1S toys. Today, I decided "No more waiting around", and started dismantling the thing. It's much different from the 1/55s, which was the last custom I did, so there you have it. Anyways, I'm thinking of doing it like a cross between the Minmay Paris and Moon versions, except the colors are gonna be purple, white, and maybe a dark grey. I've taken the Moon guard decals, and have been color changing them to the purple/light purple I want to do it in. I don't have any pics yet, but all I have done so far is try out the heat shield with one of the chibi Sheryl decals. Fits perfectly. For panel lines, I've got a great mechanical pencil I use. I've found that once you put the dull coat over the penciled panel lines, they darken quite a bit. Anyways, with that, I'll be doing the WIP, slowly here, and over some time.

Taking some ideas if anybody has some as well.

yeah, I have one of the Sheryl RC cars, and the graphics are nice. I have two sets of different Sheryl decals, and a crapload of others from years of collecting. I'm thinking maybe I should paint the heatshield the purple color, then put the decal on.

Here's the addition to the right chest plate. I like it so far, but the heat shield may make it look too busy, so I might do something different with it. Anyways, here it is with little bit of weathering.

post-582-1268976878_thumb.jpg

A pic of some of the decals I'm working on (more like tweaking a bit). I've changed the color with this hi-res scan, then proceeded to blow it up a bit (approx 12%). The honeycomb graphix seem to benefit best from this. Originally I wanted to do a lighter purple, but the Tamiya Purple would make it contrast a bit too much, so in the end, I darkened them up a bit. Anyways, here they are.

Update, I'm not using the Minmay decals, at least not yet. They will be in the next Moon Guard version.

post-582-1269049671_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonc

I didn't realize how much work was involved in the decal making and customizing them process, but I have managed to get most of them to fit properly. Tomorrow I will have pics of all the lower leg pieces that I did over today, and of the updated heat shield work. I started tapering the wings and should have those done by tomorrow as well. Lots of pics will be here tomorrow. The colors are light blue and purple, and so far, it's coming out nice. Aside from the decals, it's a very conservative custom, but one that will make it unique enough.

I didn't realize how much work was involved in the decal making and customizing them process, but I have managed to get most of them to fit properly. Tomorrow I will have pics of all the lower leg pieces that I did over today, and of the updated heat shield work. I started tapering the wings and should have those done by tomorrow as well. Lots of pics will be here tomorrow. The colors are light blue and purple, and so far, it's coming out nice. Aside from the decals, it's a very conservative custom, but one that will make it unique enough.
Dude you have just scratched the surface on this. If you really want some thing perfected you go so far as making test color sheets then you have to apply them to the surface the only trouble is that some of the decal paper isn't very strong and you tend to get scratches on your decals. Personnally I've opted to try a dry transfer process an art teacher taught me as an alternative for the easy decals( rescue and U.N. Spacey kite symbol). Just take some matte medium( found at local Aaron brothers/ Michaels and print and image on a piece of paper with vellum ( now remember this isn't perfect but it can save a little time if your sick of decals) feed into the printer it should partially absorb the image if on a high quality level. remember to reverse and size image to specification then paint an area of the model with matte medium wait a little till sticky keep it even or the image will warp. The medium should be sticky yet solid not too wet or it will run also it you use gesso on a white surface it will enhance the properties of this process.

OK, here are the updates. First one is the added decal of the famous tread, done in a purple. Then is the "revised" Heat shield, then 3 of the 4 legs, as the 4th doesn't really have any special markings. Anyways, feedback is welcome.

post-582-1269558945_thumb.jpg

post-582-1269558991_thumb.jpg

post-582-1269559023_thumb.jpg

post-582-1269559058_thumb.jpg

post-582-1269559090_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonc

Wow, that will be a great looking custom when done.

Thanks, got one wing done today, and it looks good with the light blue. It will have the Galaxy logo on it, not the kite symbol. Haven't decided what I want to do with the tail fins yet. Hopefully, I'll get pics of the wings tomorrow.

Hey Jasonc, very nice! You need to mass produce those decals for sale! I know I'll get a couple of sets!

Thought of it, and if I do the decals, they'd probably need to be on a more user friendly decal paper. I may put the decals up for sale, but some of them do need to be sized a tad better. Some need stretching, others fit great. I just might make decals for those asking. But, it'll be after this project is done.

OK, quick update. I have just finished the arms (decals, penciling, and dullcoating) and have those in the next pic coming tonight. Also, I have the wings done. Had some trouble with the paint leaving too many bubbles, and had to do the Pinesol and clean not once, but twice. anyways, I'm good to go with those. All I need to do now is the tail fins, which I've started, and the cockpit, and she'll be ready to be put together and with some luck, transform with no trouble. Pic will go up tonight with what is done.

Thanks guys for the compliments and all. I thought I put updated pics in here...Apparently, I'm losing it, hahaha. Anyways, Just about done. Working ont he cockpit now, and upper arms. Then, once I have the little pieces done, like the landing gear covers, I'll start assembling. Oh yeah, forgot the head too, gotta do that. I'm thinking of having the head lens be clear blue or clear purple. Might go w/ clear blue since it's more contrast to the purple. I've got more decals drying right now, so tomorrow I'll be putting up what should be the last batch of them on this valk.

Still need some touch up work, but here it is assembled in Fighter mode. I'm quite happy with the turnout. Still need to do the shoulders, and coat the head, as well as fix some decals that are being troublesome. Alas, here it is.

post-582-1270771025_thumb.jpg

post-582-1270771126_thumb.jpg

post-582-1270771206_thumb.jpg

post-582-1270771259_thumb.jpg

post-582-1270771328_thumb.jpg

post-582-1270771375_thumb.jpg

post-582-1270771427_thumb.jpg

<l------- stands up and claps his hands for the awesome job done

Thanks, this is the first "custom job" I've done since leaving the old Chunkey Monkey behind. Once the decals dry for the shoulder tops, I'll have pics of it up in Battroid mode.

Battroid looks awesome Jason! The Sheryl decals came out perfectly IMO.

However I see a very unhappy looking SDF-1 in the background, future custom/TLC project? B))

Thanks for the compliments. The SDF-1 is just there, no work will be put into that. There are too many broken pieces, and it's just a floppy mess. I've been fixing the minor missing decals, and all that, so still working on the Sheryl Guard. I'm glad it does transform without any hitches. I will be putting up pics of the decals here when I'm done. So anyone who wants to use them can. As for the MacF specific decals, you'll have to get those from the decal sets that are out there. I will be doing a Minmay Guard probably next, as well as working out the possibility of the Platypus (which will be done from the unassembled version.)