Cleaning

Macross_Fanboy

Well, I've been gone away from home for nearly one month at the hospital after coming down with a bad case of pneumonia followed by ARDS and I finally got back home. I know my collection is pretty dusty, so I was wondering what some of you guys use to clean off your Valks if you haven't handled them in a long time.

Well, I've been gone away from home for nearly one month at the hospital after coming down with a bad case of pneumonia followed by ARDS and I finally got back home. I know my collection is pretty dusty, so I was wondering what some of you guys use to clean off your Valks if you haven't handled them in a long time.

Most of my collection is Transformers and Godzilla figures. I use a feather duster and a can of compressed air for some of those tough to reach nooks and crannies. Just be sure to keep the compressed air at a distance.

haha... i would wear cotton gloves and then use any of the following things - a microfiber wipe cloth, 2 sizes makeup brushes - one larger and the other much finer for those hard to reach areas like the inner neck, elbows, knee joints etc... something like this. :)

Edited by m0n5t3r

I have several stiff-bristled, fat painting brushes, the kind that you can get several for a dollar for kids' crafts. They can pull up larger layers of dust, but still don't damage the toys' surfaces.

For more delicate things, I have a couple of larger powered-cosmetics brushes. They're nicer ones I found at an estate sale unused and are typically more expensive, but you can find more affordable ones at flea-markets or discount stores. Or check the makeup dept at your local Walgreens or whatnot. They've got very delicate, soft but firm fibers that get into lots of textures on toys' surfaces but cover a lot of surface area.

I tend to keep one in the corner of whatever display shelving the toys are on display in. That way if I'm admiring or moving them around and I spot some dust (which is a common occurance in the 100+ year old, force-air heat home I have) I can just wipe it away while I'm thinking of it.

Edited by AcroRay

Swiffer when I get around to it. Otherwise I just let them collect dust as I am too lazy and it only bothers me when they have a noticeable layer of dust on them. :)

so i decided to do some cleaning... when i noticed some yellow spots on my 1/60 v2 VF-1S's that have been untouched and on display for a long while now... mostly on the arms (the panels for hiding the hands), the shoulder plate area beside the head and on some other white plastic parts. i thought damn(!), yellowing this early?!?!

i tried rubbing them off with a dry cloth and couldn't remove them, so i tried with a bit of water. was i ever glad it came off and the plastic was whitey clean again. i'm not sure where these yellow stains are coming from, but yeah, they can be easily cleaned off and the stain just transfers onto the damp cloth. :)

Just wash them in water :o

No special tricks and if you use filtered rain water or water for irons it won't leave any spots. They make take a few days to dry but works every time for me.

I even wash most of my models that way too. The only ones I don't wash with water are the the ones on display bases as some of the surface coatings don't like getting wet and end up turning into real mud and muck <_<

Hey all,

sorry to get off topic on this thread, but for those of you guys that store your Valks long-term do you have problems with moisture rusting metal parts, like screws? A few years ago, I had all my loose 1/55's in a box with packing peanuts, but the screws got rusted the first winter they were in a storage unit I have at a Public Storage facility. I have had a storage unit for a few years now, but I can't afford one of the nicer ones that are climate-controlled, so I have to deal with moisture building up on my stuff during the winter months. Do any of you use those silica packets in your boxes/containers to deal with this problem, and does that work well?