Lost and Found Toys now flightpose.com

logos

Time to get this topic going again.

I just pull my low vis off the flexi-stand and found this.

IMG_6821.jpg

IMG_6823.jpg

:angry:

I've only had the low vis sitting on it for 6 months. NOT GOOD!

DUDE...that Buh-LOWS!!! I almost threw up after those pictures...still makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about that kind of damage on a V1 Low Vis. I feel for you, man...I really do...

I don't have any of the new stands just the old acrylic ones, but that yucky gunky stuff on the low viz is gonna do that on a pencil eraser. That stuff will get all over your fingers if you hold it for more than 20 minutes. That's why I took it off my Low Viz right away. I'm not sure about the clear coat thing though and I'm not saying that the stands are 100% safe and doesn't react with certain paint. Maybe the clear plastic is absorbing heat and transferring it to the toys, kinda like light travels thru fiber optics.

DUDE...that Buh-LOWS!!! I almost threw up after those pictures...still makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about that kind of damage on a V1 Low Vis. I feel for you, man...I really do...

Yeah it sucks but I think I can touch up damage spot some.

Just checked my 1/48 VF-1J and 1/60 VF-25F. No damage from the clear tips. I also coated the valks with Tamiya's TS-80 flat finish and it looks fine. All my mechas are kept at room temperature all year.

Maybe placing the item in a warm room or under direct sunlight can heat the silicon tips to the point of reacting with the plastic.

This is what happened to mine on both legs :(

The paint was stuck to the silicone part like glue.

So yeah my Roy looks pretty ghetto in batteroid mode now.

Yeah, that's definitely not just any gunk like the low viz. If anyone has ever tried stripping paint off a Yamato, it's a huge pain in the neck. They use the best paint because of the transforming parts. That sucks. It's too bad they changed the stands from the acrylic with black tips. Those things were just awesome. Wish I had a few more of those around.

If they had the black tips, and were just fine, I'd try to get replacements on the ones I bought. I'm not going to display anything on them, or buy anymore (sorry), until the problem is verified to be taken care of. IMO, I'd rather have the black tips that work right, and in some people's opinion, look unsightly, than have the clear ones take paint off.

In my case, mine are stored in detolfs which currently have no lighting in the cases, my home office's blinds are always shut and the only sunlight that gets in is indirect light that leaks in between the blinds but none that shines directly on the cases. The times I checked were during winter and early spring when it was still cold and I keep the heat set at 60F (16C) in the house since I like the cold. So heat and sunlight are not really factors for me.

IMG_1681-1.jpg

Mine were on display like this..... My house has A/C, and besides that it is always COLD and DARK here in Seattle. I never let the sunlight hit it either.

The rest of my Skull Squadron were lucky, but they were stuck pretty good. There are tiny almost clear looking circles on the stabs, it almost looks like grease circles.

Here is an example:

the top most circle.

IMG_2317.jpg

Edited by Loop

I guess temperature isn't necessarily the factor for the paint to be stripped off from the valks if you keep your room cold. Both the black and transparant tip materials have issues. Right now the site of flightpose is down, wonder if they know about this problem.

I guess temperature isn't necessarily the factor for the paint to be stripped off from the valks if you keep your room cold. Both the black and transparant tip materials have issues. Right now the site of flightpose is down, wonder if they know about this problem.

They are well aware of the problem, I am still working with Los on this very issue.

IMG_1681-1.jpg

Mine were on display like this..... My house has A/C, and besides that it is always COLD and DARK here in Seattle. I never let the sunlight hit it either.

The rest of my Skull Squadron were lucky, but they were stuck pretty good. There are tiny almost clear looking circles on the stabs, it almost looks like grease circles.

Here is an example:

the top most circle.

IMG_2317.jpg

Man that makes me mad seeing damage like that from a POS silicone tip. :angry:

I never got the black tipped ones, but what were the issues with those? What about using a different rubber? I know I'm just popping off what seems to be a simple solution, but perhaps talking to someone who has some experience in chemicals, or something similar, can suggest a better material? I'd love to buy more of these for the price. I'm just hoping for a good Lotto hit, so I can just buy all Yamato stands. ;)

I really don't know what exactly is causing it, but I left a valk on one of my stands without letting it touch the paint and it left a greasy spot that wiped off.

I have already washed the tips with dish soap too and I don't think it made a difference. I think it has something to do with contact though because the tops don't feel greasy when not being used.

Edited by Loop

I know this might sound odd, but has anyone thought of using Parafilm??? We use it in my laboratory for temporary seals on glassware and petri dishes. It has wonderful stretching properties, and has a tackiness to it when stretched.

"Masking applications:

Parafilm will conform to any surface and fill in the tightest corners. It lifts easily and leaves no residue behind on the surface being protected. It is the preferred material by many for model masking. Cut out a thin strip from either the 2" or 4" rolls and slowly stretch to about four times its original length and let it set for about one minute. This permits it to "stress relax" resulting in the development of a nice "tackiness" to the stretched material. The thin strip is applied to the surface requiring protection and masking. Using normal finger pressure massage it into a good adhesive situation with regard to the substrate surface. After painting, it will come back up with the gentle lift of a toothpick. Unlike a number of other masking agents, it will absolutely not leave behind a residue on the protected surface."

I know we're not using it for this purpose, but if it can be used for model masking, I'm fairly certain it would work in this situation. I'll have to call the manufacturer, since it is permeable to oxygen and carbon dioxide, but it should prevent whatever chemical reaction is occurring from damaging the surface of our prized possessions. That, and it's tackiness should hopefully prove to be a sound solution to the current problems.

Source: http://www.2spi.com/catalog/supp/parafilm.php

i can confirm that some of the newer stands have taken paint off some of my valks. I have a Low Viz 1 that has two spots on the fins that are missing paint, and i clearly see it on one of the stands that i have.

I also have some other valks that have the old black scuff marks from the old black tip stands....

As long as these guys aren't touching painted parts, seems to be fine, but over time, i imagine any rubber surface can melt onto a product and peel some paint away.

My valk is bleeding, apparently. It appears the red plastic has been damaged from the stand piece. Nothing big - you have to look closely for the damaged part - but it's still disturbing. I checked the other 1/60's I have on the stands, and nothing wrong with those, but the rubber nubs were on the white plastic parts, not the colored pieces. I have my VF-27 on one of these stands, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. So I have no idea what to think of these right now. I see other people have had damage, and only one of my valks has had any damage...

photo8-2.jpg

photo9-1.jpg

My valk is bleeding, apparently. It appears the red plastic has been damaged from the stand piece. Nothing big - you have to look closely for the damaged part - but it's still disturbing. I checked the other 1/60's I have on the stands, and nothing wrong with those, but the rubber nubs were on the white plastic parts, not the colored pieces. I have my VF-27 on one of these stands, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. So I have no idea what to think of these right now. I see other people have had damage, and only one of my valks has had any damage...

Actually, that's not red plastic. It's just coated with a clear red paint and I guess the silicone reacted with the paint. For the most part, it seems that bare plastic parts are fine when in contact with the tips.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Actually, that's not red plastic. It's just coated with a clear red paint and I guess the silicone reacted with the paint. For the most part, it seems that bare plastic parts are fine when in contact with the tips.

Yeah, you're right. So long as they're touching the bare plastic, it's fine. Don't know how I feel about these now. I liked them when I got them, but I may have to just start springing for those higher priced Yamato stands. At least I can use these on my GI Joe helicopters and such, since there is hardly any paint apps on those to begin with.

Yeah, you're right. So long as they're touching the bare plastic, it's fine. Don't know how I feel about these now. I liked them when I got them, but I may have to just start springing for those higher priced Yamato stands. At least I can use these on my GI Joe helicopters and such, since there is hardly any paint apps on those to begin with.

Although I have tested a valk on the stand touching just the plastic, it left greasy circles where the valk rested on the stand.

I do not know what the long term affect of that could be.

Although I have tested a valk on the stand touching just the plastic, it left greasy circles where the valk rested on the stand.

I do not know what the long term affect of that could be.

I had the same greasy circles on mine where it was resting on the plastic.

I had a look at my valks over the weekend.The first thing I noticed occured when I lifted my v2 TV VF-1S from the stand. The nose of the valk lifted free but the rear caps stuck to the legs of the valk.

It was only for a second before the stand dropped and as far as I can see there is no damage to the valk, just those grease type marks a few other MW's have commented on.

I checked over the other five valks on these stands and while none of them were "stuck" they all had that slight grease mark.

I guess I will need to check them out a little more frequently, as I'm sure most reading this thread will do.

I had same paint peeling experience fm my low vis stands. The rubber material seems to react with paints, causing it to peel off. I suggest placing the rubber tips on just bare plastic areas, which is what i have been doing so far without damage my valks.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys! Sorry to hear all the problems people are having with the clear tips. I have sent numerous emails to our manufacturer referencing this thread and all they keep saying is that they are not finding the same issues as those being reported here.

Clearly this is no longer an isolated incident. Since we are unable to know if the issue is a product defect or the reaction of the tip to certain paints, we are going to take action and advise against long-term display with the tips.

This has been disappointing since we changed the black tips to clear to avoid the slight black markings. Please address concerns to me at carlos@flightpose.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just went and checked mine. I only had two with the clear tips. One had a dx vf-25g on it - don' t see anything wrong. The other had the vt-1 ostrich - there was slight sticking from the back two prongs for a 10th of a second but no visible damage. However the front prong tip had a smudge of red paint on it. Looked over the ostrich where it was touching - saw no where where the red could have come from. I was puzzled until I remembered my Roy vf-1s used to sit on that stand 4 months ago. Checked it out and sure enough there it was -on the same place as pud's pic, the red clear part on it's leg. It's barelly noticeable unless I really look at it, still annoying though. At least it wasn't the ostrich.

I don't know how the manufactor can claim there is no problem when there quite obviously is. These should not be sold at all. The sad thing is i just paid for 3 used ones from a member here about 4 hours before reading this thread. :(

Edited by Sandman

• 1 year later...

Flightpose.com is where I got mine about 2 months ago. Everything went very smoothly. I got the 3 pack with one of each size. I used the 6 inch one for a battroid pose of my VF-22S, the 2 1/2 inch one is propping up my Matchbox SDF-1, and the 4 inch one is holding up the legs of a VF-25S in a dynamic gerwalk pose.

I like them. They're pretty sturdy. I love the fact that they're clear and when you look at your display sometimes it's almost as if your valks are floating. Which would be awesome, but sadly they're not. I would base your chose of stand on the pose you want not the size of the valk. Let me know if you want me to throw up some pics for you.

I recently started experimenting with alternatives to the flightpose stands because on each one I have, the top plate has cracked and is more or less in pieces barely holding on. I've only ever tightened them enough for the arms to hold their position, and noticed that over time the cracks just seemed to form out of nowhere. Just something to look out for... otherwise, they do still look great, but I'm leery of buying them anymore because of this issue.

I would like to put out a warning about the flightpose stand.

The clear silicone tips may eat away the paint and clearcoat of things placed on them. I know because my low vis valk was damage.

You can read about it here:

http://www.macrosswo...pic=32630&st=35

Can you show a pic of the damage? None of my valks are clearcoated so I don't think I have anything to worry about.