for those who are married with kids...

bishop54

hey you married people!

I wanted to see who is still into macross and also married with kids... what are you guys workin on and how you managed to do what you do with all the busy life...

I started making macross back in 85 or 86 I think.. (when I was in high school when there was no internet shopping or access to books except TV.. I had to recored VHS and rewind everytime I needed to see the detail part of it)

I just wanna hear how you guys been doing all these years with interest of Macross...

I for one scream ma lungs out when HASEGAWA came out with VF-1 stuff... in the car, since I was in a position where socity would look at me funny if I did that in the office... <_<

just for fun for old time sake...

thanks

I loved Robotech as a kid, and on a whim about a year and a half ago I decided to see if I could find a nicely detailed Valk for display on my desk and came across the 1/48 Yamato Stealth. Gobs of money later, here I am, full on addicted. My wife says I kept this from her on purpose while we were dating so she wouldn't freak out and run screaming for the hills. :p As long as Macross money doesn't come out of the budget, I'm free to do as I please.

:lol: had similar experiences...

I loved Robotech as a kid, and on a whim about a year and a half ago I decided to see if I could find a nicely detailed Valk for display on my desk and came across the 1/48 Yamato Stealth. Gobs of money later, here I am, full on addicted. My wife says I kept this from her on purpose while we were dating so she wouldn't freak out and run screaming for the hills. :p As long as Macross money doesn't come out of the budget, I'm free to do as I please.

I don't even care what people say. IF it's my lunch break I break out a small model kit and start trimming. Lunch break has been where I did most of my prep work for my models for the last 3 years O_O

I need to clean out my son's thomas train lunch box and reconfigure..... lunch time... why didn't I think of that... <_<

my girlfriend wants to build a veritech after she saw the box of 1/48's from hlj.

i still can't get her to wear a short skirt, macross type uniform for halloween.

-thor

First trick...get your kids involved. My son loves building models, so it helps to have his interest and involvement.

Second Trick...budget some time....for me...I need a little "me" time...and modeling is my escape. My wife digs this. Normally I wait till the kids are in bed and squeeze in 30 or 60 minutes

Third trick - Win the lotto...still working on this one.

My wife married me with my semi large collection at the time, and she's a fan of this stuff already, so that helps, and as long as bills are paid and I'm still putting money away, it's all gravy.

Before the kid, my wife was always supportive of the modeling and collecting. Hell, she had Star Wars action figures in her dorm room, way back when. The negative is that I have a family history of not FINISHING models, so I always got a big :rolleyes: if I acquired a new one.

Now that the offspring have arrived, I'm lucky if I can cram in 1/2 hour of work along the baby's schedule, let alone leisure time. I'm hoping this gets better... Kid's only 5 months old, though, so I know it will eventually.

Even with that, my wife supports the purchase of a VF-11, using B-day money and Paypal. We'll see if it turns into the dreaded 1/60 addiction.

When I collected toys, my wife used to get pissed, because I'd buy them, keep them for a little while, then start collecting something else. So then I got into models, mainly Gundam PG kits and Macross Frontier kits, and while she gripes about the prices, she acknowledges that at least I'm doing something with them by building them, rather than just buying toys that sit there. I limit my toy buying now to only what I really must have, like MP Transformers, 12" Gundam/JG Gundams, the occasional Macross 1/60 Yammie or Bandai DX (I'm more a v1 Yamato guy anyway, I love diecast), or SOC. But models are far more interesting to me overall.

I started with Robotech when I was in Middle School in the early 80's.

The first model I ever had was a 1/100 factory from arii from KB toys for $20.00.

Moved to another state, grew up and then joined the military and never seen it again until I got on the internets after I was married in the mid 90's and found out where Robotech originated. Found hlj.com and Macross world was a newsgroup back then, before Shawn and Graham started MacrossWorld.com. Man those were the days.

Not long afterward I had to take a hiatus when the kids were really young, The 0-3 years age because all the money was diverted to milk and diapers and me going to college to get a degree. And while waiting until I could find my time and space again, all of my beautiful resin models/kits and toys were destroyed by either a cat or a kid.

I started slowly back again over the past couple of years and my poor closet (thank goodness I have my own huge walk in closet now) is packed full with yamato's and every model kit I can get a hold of.

The wife has been great with it all and lets me have my free time and buy my toys. So long as I give her some of my time, take care of the bills and bring home the bacon and be a good parent/role model, she is good with what I do. She actually tries to take interest in it with me although she doesnt care for it.

I have yet to get any of the newer v2.0 yamato's but I am about to purchase the 21/22 and am postponing as long as possible because of their price. So looking forward to the new Hase 1/48 VF-1!

There is a shed out back that's 150-200 sq ft that I have to fix up to make it my Shrine for Macross and model building. Hard to do with all I have to catch up on buying while doing projects around the house as well.

Whew that was alot!

To those with small kids...stick with it. The kids are great and will eventually be the excuse to keep buying toys :lol:

My wife and son go to sleep between 8 and 9 PM. My wife works early. My main model time is between 9 and midnight. Ill set up my progect and slip a movie into the 5.1 system with HDTV and build while i watch. It gets me 2-3 hours of build time and is a convenient timer for me. When the movie is over i clean up, shower and go to bed. Then im up at 8 or 9 and take care of household stuff before heading to work at about 1130. Its all about really setting out a schedule that you can work with.

First trick...get your kids involved. My son loves building models, so it helps to have his interest and involvement.

Second Trick...budget some time....for me...I need a little "me" time...and modeling is my escape. My wife digs this. Normally I wait till the kids are in bed and squeeze in 30 or 60 minutes

Third trick - Win the lotto...still working on this one.

....... I like the third trick.. maybe I should start...

ok here is the deal, anybody who is married with kids win lottery, should buy (1/48 VF-1) for all the members who are married with kids.... what ya'll think?

My wife and son go to sleep between 8 and 9 PM. My wife works early. My main model time is between 9 and midnight. Ill set up my progect and slip a movie into the 5.1 system with HDTV and build while i watch. It gets me 2-3 hours of build time and is a convenient timer for me. When the movie is over i clean up, shower and go to bed. Then im up at 8 or 9 and take care of household stuff before heading to work at about 1130. Its all about really setting out a schedule that you can work with.

ok, this always happens to me.. almost. when I want it she doesn't.

when I'm trying to built, she wants it.. what the H*$% is wrong with women.. do they actually wait until we start pulling out nice shiny boxes?

ok, this always happens to me.. almost. when I want it she doesn't.

when I'm trying to built, she wants it.. what the H*$% is wrong with women.. do they actually wait until we start pulling out nice shiny boxes?

Uh... Ya!

They just like to see which you prefer more, her or them :blink:

well i found robotech when i was going to elementory didn't see anything after that until i went to london at 19 there i picked up macross 2, from there i found a few things through being lucky and ended up here 20 years after watching robotech with 5 yammies and 3 bandais. and planning a scratchbuild PT vf model. how in the few hours between kind, wife, study and bed. after becoming an aeronautics engineer i am studying to become a teacher. that takes almost all the time you can find in your life.

atleast getting models or toys is easy nw with internet and having a japanese wife :p

Edited by hibiki_konzake

well i found robotech when i was going to elementory didn't see anything after that until i went to london at 19 there i picked up macross 2, from there i found a few things through being lucky and ended up here 20 years after watching robotech with 5 yammies and 3 bandais. and planning a scratchbuild PT vf model. how in the few hours between kind, wife, study and bed. after becoming an aeronautics engineer i am studying to become a teacher. that takes almost all the time you can find in your life.

atleast getting models or toys is easy nw with internet and having a japanese wife :p

Japanese wife.............. I need to have my wife learn janpanese.... pronto! hope that will take some time away from me... B))

Hi Guys,

My wife is the paying my credit card every month. She is furious every time there is an Macross Item from HLJ that I bought. But been very supportive when I’m in the process of building it. Giving suggestions and helping me to build some parts. Even my 6 year old daughter sings macross songs and loves DYRL.

:lol:

lol, bishop54. same thing with my gf until she noticed me getting out that hasgawa box every morning, lunch dates, anytime she watches oprah, lost, and desparate housewives....i'd rattle the box of part and say, "honey".....

hahahaha

lol, bishop54. same thing with my gf until she noticed me getting out that hasgawa box every morning, lunch dates, anytime she watches oprah, lost, and desparate housewives....i'd rattle the box of part and say, "honey".....

hahahaha

:lol: that's just plane funny... I could totally picture it.. even though I don't know what you look like.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Guys,

My wife is the paying my credit card every month. She is furious every time there is an Macross Item from HLJ that I bought. But been very supportive when I’m in the process of building it. Giving suggestions and helping me to build some parts. Even my 6 year old daughter sings macross songs and loves DYRL.

:lol:

NOW THAT'S HAPPY ENDING.. except the credit part.. know the feeling bro....

This is a great thread. It's actually really relevant to me now as we have a 4 month old and I've been scrambling to find time to build. I was laughing out loud at the lunch break trick. I started doing that myself. I also find myself doing stuff after the kid goes to sleep.

I've been modeling for a few years before the kids came along so the Wife was used to that and quite accepting.

I'm quite a time poor person since the kids, (I have two wonderful boys) but I still manage to slip in 1 or 2 hours of modeling before bed in the evening.

I even manage to attend a local modeling group on one Saturday per month...

Keeps me sane!! (I think!!!)

Cheers,

Jase.

Good to see a few Aussies here! ;)

I'm in the same boat - married with one kid (21 months old). There's no way I can do any modeling with him up. So most of my modeling time is when he's asleep and my wife's out or I do it on my lunch break like a few others here.

I find this thread to be very encouraging, actually!

I feel so not alone now.. I though this forum was for all young generation... :rolleyes:

this is just great... I wish we could get together one day and discuss/show/brag our work...

that would be awesome..

play with the kids in the morning and get together at noon just to talk about macross models and so forth...

that would be cool...

HAWAII anyone????

quick question..

if you look at original macross book, you know the black one or for some lucky it was gold..

it looked like VF-1 (original) had a FA-18 landing gear instead of straight down landing gear..

current landing gear on all VF-1's are straight down simple landing gear... I've always used FA-18 1/72 scale landing gear on my VF-1 models.. looks more real too... sorry don't have any pictures of it... :ph34r:

does new 1/48 have FA-18 landing gear look? anyone know???

This is an important thread for us "Macross Anonymous" members B))

BEFORE my wife and I got married I warned her of what she was getting into. As long as I get a corner INSIDE the house (climate controlled) when we have to move, it's cool. Plus she knows where to find a tool (or tape measure) when she needs one. For what EXO said, yeah, I win too-woo hoo!

Then came children. We have a boy and a girl. BOTH are fans (some of you have met my son). I've had Robotech for years (before Macross got dubbed) and we've all sat down and watched that as a family. In fact my shildren still love to watch it with me! My wife and I sat and watched Macross and Mospeada before the children cam along.

My daughter has the vinyl Imai MinMei doll that she begged for me to get her. My son has several veritech Gashapons and a couple of toys (until he learns to care for his toys better). I've got a collection of models going back to Macross day one that just keeps building. I have my own closet thankfully to stash them...oh yeah and under the bed too :lol: I keep my kits in large plastic boxes for storage and protection.

I try to squeeze time in when I can. One of my children usually flanks me at the workbench with legos, playdough or a coloring book. I'm slowly losing ownership of it. ^_^

Even my parents and sister (after all these years) ask what my latest Macross project is and how's it going.

The family that Macrosses together stays together (or something cool sounding like that). - MT

13 macross planes just waiting for me.... someday... hmmm........ still workin on lunch box... it's not easy to persuade my son... he look at me funny.... he like watching macross plus and zero though... that's good thing at this point....

if you guy don't mind me askin, what you guys do for living??? or what fields?

I'm in motorsport industry.. motorcycle section...

I design helmets and gear and stuff...

use to work for HJC helmet. and autoracing helmet.

not anymore though... found better offer :rolleyes: