Official 1/100 BANDAI VF Hi Metal VF-1J Valkyrie

Black Valkyrie

Some new articulation point that we have never seen on VF-1 toy:

DSC_3859.JPG

Actually, when I pulled out the feet for the first time, I thought I broke them and they were going to fall apart. Turned out it was kind of new articulation design. Not sure I like it though.

It's as if he never had one before. i mean the vid does peak my interest a bit more but i can't help but feel as though this guy found his holy grail

EDIT.....nevermind he is just a really excitable person i guess. I was like that too.....when I got my first Chunky monkey almost 10 years ago, then even more so when i got my first 1/48 like a year or so later.

Edited by kanedaestes

It's as if he never had one before. i mean the vid does peak my interest a bit more but i can't help but feel as though this guy found his holy grail

Holy grail? The guy looks like he found true love... If it weren't for the sunglasses the camera will be blinded from the sparkles of his eyes. But frankly, I'll be like that too sometimes this month. It's just that this is going to be my first ever VF-1 in any form. I got mine shipped and taxed for US$55, compared that to US$150+ for a 1/60 Yamato.

This toy can really get some panel lines and decals, lucky I have plenty leftovers from Gundam kits.

Question. Just which parts are Die-Cast? (I get the impression that Hi Metal means majority in Die-Cast)

Looks nice for the scale of it. Might consider a the possible Millia 1J or 1S Focker (If it's grey, and not white)

Though as much as I love the VF-1... They could of given us something a bit different, like a VF-0... :(

Question. Just which parts are Die-Cast? (I get the impression that Hi Metal means majority in Die-Cast)

Looks nice for the scale of it. Might consider a the possible Millia 1J or 1S Focker (If it's grey, and not white)

Though as much as I love the VF-1... They could of given us something a bit different, like a VF-0... :(

if its anything like the vf-19 fire then its mostly plastic .

the hip/leg hinger bar - i think is metal and the ankles - maybe -

i get mine this week i hope.

what i dont get about the video is the title why call it robotech ?

why not call it Macross ? Any way its a shame that the max and miria are exclusives

I hope the theres general release of the vf-1s , vf-1d , vt-1 , and ve-1.

(snip)...compared that to US$150+ for a 1/60 Yamato.

Where did you find such an expensive non-F/SP VF-1J? :huh:

Nice pics guys, personally wishing that this will do very well so we'll have a chance at other valks.

any wild guess when will they make a strike pack VF1S?

Im guessing bandai will follow this scenario..

1) release vf1j

2) release vf1j max (exclusive)

3) release vf1s

4) tweedle dum tweedle dum....

5) sales good.. let make the strike pack

6) release strike pack separately

7) tweedle dum tweedle dum....

8) release the combo set, vf1j,vf1s with strike packs..

9) milked you bwhahahaha...

:p

if its anything like the vf-19 fire then its mostly plastic .

the hip/leg hinger bar - i think is metal and the ankles - maybe -

i get mine this week i hope.

Well that's a bit lame naming this Hi-Metal series. LOL

Was hoping for Chogokin type of Valk...

Not sure if it has been mentioned here before, but JetDaisuke, one of my favorite Tokyo Video Bloggers has done a 'review' of the Hi-Metal VF-1J.

In summary, he says that while the 1/48 and 1/60 VF-1 Yamatos are great, it is pretty amazing that they were able to make one that is so good for this scale. A definite Must Buy for fans of the original TV series and those who owned the old takato toys.

Also, did anyone notice the different kinds of hands that were included? Rounded versus angular? Interestingly enough, his copy also had the loose left wing... Manufacturing error?

Really, the passion and love for the toy really shines through in the video, a true Macross Fan! (^o^) A clear difference in attitude when he was reviewing the transformable Revoltech version. (^.^;)

Edited by Actar

I'd really like to get into this line but it's just to expensive. Almost the same cost as a 1/60v2. I can't justify that, sticking with the 1/60v2s... but this does look VERY cool.

Almost same cost? I don't know what store you go to but they're ripping you off.

Amiami sells them for 3980yen. Most places sell them under the 5000yen price.

Yeah, people must be getting really good deals on the 1/60 V2 because I paid close to the $100 mark for each of the ones I bought. Not saying the Hi Metal isn't "expensive"....but really, how many modern Japanese toys aren't? There are some revoltech figures out there that cost right around the same as this Hi Metal VF-1, and those are just action figures.

Where did you find such an expensive non-F/SP VF-1J? :huh:

Sorry, what I meant is the VT-1 Super Ostrich. Somehow I tend to generalize VF-1s with all of its variants. The street price for a Yamato 1/60 VF-1s V2 hovers around US$120-160, including shipping and tax. Heavy and big packages netts extra cost. For the Hi-Metal VF-1, because the total price and shipping cost is below 5000 Yen (300+ gram package helps), I can get it basically import tax free :)

Got my VF Hi-Metal VF-1J today.

As some have already noted above, this is a very good toy. All the good things that have been said is true.

BUT, there is an issue that has not yet been noted.

It seems to be not in correct scale. Instead of 1/100 scale, it's more like 1/90 scale. It's actually bigger than the Toynami 1/100.

Here are some quick pics to illustrate what I mean.

Next to Arii's 1/100 kit

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

Next to Toynami 1/100

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

Look how it towers over the GNU. About a head taller than the Toynami too.

IMG_1387.jpg

Got my VF Hi-Metal VF-1J today.

Look how it towers over the GNU. About a head taller than the Toynami too.

IMG_1387.jpg

You've got it transformed wrong (I did the same thing the first time!) That folding hinge by the swing bar needs to fold up. See the nubs on the hips? Those need to peg into the nosecone...things (sorry, don't know the correct term). See the pic. :)

vf1j020.png

It should look like this:

vf1j022.png

You've got it transformed wrong (I did the same thing the first time!) That folding hinge by the swing bar needs to fold up. See the nubs on the hips? Those need to peg into the nosecone...things (sorry, don't know the correct term). See the pic. :)

Whoops, you're right.

Thanks for the tip.

New pics in battroid mode

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

Looks great Vifam! I think that maybe the VF HI METAL may actually be the more accurate one, as the ARII/Imai/Bandai kits were tooled in the 80's and may have used older reference material. Then again, who knows. Wonder if the Wave kit is the same size? Also the Toynami 1/100 looks pretty close in size, but a tad smaller; Toynami had to do theirs without the references available to Bandai, like Kawamori's assistance, that kind of thing.

I've done the measurements on the Toynami and it wasn't 1/100 scale, it was too large. The Hi-Metal is even bigger so it's true, it isn't a true 1/100 scale. That means it's going to look a little too big next to all of you who have made your own 1/100 toys for it to play with. The GnU and Kaiyodo's transformable toys were much closer to 1/100.

Almost same cost? I don't know what store you go to but they're ripping you off.

Amiami sells them for 3980yen. Most places sell them under the 5000yen price.

Yeah, I order from Amiami from time to time. 3980Â¥ = $45.36 + EMS to NY, USA which will be at least $20-$25 and now you're talking $70! I've gotten at least 2 brand new 1/60v2 Valk's shipped to me for like $15 more.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY want to get them, they look fantastic! But then I'd have to get all of the VF-1's probably, and at that price (and I'm not even counting exclusives cost) I just can't afford to start this line unfortunately.

It looks awesome though, and I am looking forward to Jenius' review. B))

I think we need to compare MSRP to MSRP (or wait until the Hi-Metal goes on sale to make sale price comparisons). Shipping costs also depend a lot on who does the shipping. At least with the HM-1J you'll probably be able to do stuff like use SAL. Now, when the Max comes out it really will cost similar to a V2 so I'm sure lots of people outside of Japan will balk. It does seem like the toy has good buzz.

Yeah, I order from Amiami from time to time. 3980Â¥ = $45.36 + EMS to NY, USA which will be at least $20-$25 and now you're talking $70! I've gotten at least 2 brand new 1/60v2 Valk's shipped to me for like $15 more.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY want to get them, they look fantastic! But then I'd have to get all of the VF-1's probably, and at that price (and I'm not even counting exclusives cost) I just can't afford to start this line unfortunately.

It looks awesome though, and I am looking forward to Jenius' review. B))

Hey, I just noticed that you don't live too far away from me. :) I'm in NY too.

I must've gotten a deal this time around as my EMS shipping only totaled 2720yen (US$31). Plus Amiami had a promotion going on and gave me an extra 15% off (1194yen /$US13).

Edited by Vifam7

Decided to pick up one today. Wasn't planning to originally, as I have no desire for yet another VF-1 toy, but wanted to check out the design and engineering that Bandai put into this.

Here's some initial comments, based on the 30 minutes I've spent with the toy so far:

Pros

1. Excellent articulation for the size, very poseable.
  2. Overall, very good scuplt. Nice detailing for the size and has overall balanced proportions in all 3 modes. Not quite as good a sculpt as a Yamato V2, 1/60 IMO, but certainly a nicer looking and more accurate sculpt than a Toynami 1/100 & MPC, Takatoku 1/100 or 1/55, Bandai 1/72 HCM or Yamato V1 1/60.
  3. Following on from the the 1st Hi-Metal, the VF-19Kai, the VF-1J retains the same excellent box design. Very attractive looking box. Yamato could learn a thing or two here from Bandai, as far as boxes go.
  4. Simple and easy to transform. I like Bandai's design for the arm sliders.

Cons

1. I really don't like the way the rear of the missiles are painted all red. I know this is a toy, but the missiles painted this way just look too toy-like.
  2. The right closed intake was glued tight in place on mine and could not be removed, even after 5 minutes of prying away with a nail file, which ended with me stabbing myself in the thumb and bleeding all over the toy!
  3. I found the rear closed landing gear doors a bit tricky to pry off. As you are prying from the top of the doors, the doors bend somewhat when removing them and I was worried about stressing the plastic.
  4. I don't like that the gunpod has a removeable handle. I found that the fists that have a built in gunpod handle don't really attach very securely to the gunpod (connection is too loose) and I've already had the gunpod fall off twice in battroid and fly across the room once when handling and transforming the toy.
  5. Not too keen on the feet. A bit small looking and don't like the metallic finish. Also, the front half of the foot has come off twice now when I've been pulling on the feet to extend them for battroid mode.
  6. The above-knee swivel joints on mine were quite loose. I would have liked to see these a bit tighter.
  7. Plastic looks cheap, especially when compared with the Hi-Metal Fire Valk, but it's actually good quality plastic.

Overall, a good effort for the size, but not terribly exciting, to me at least.

I doubt I will pick up anymore Hi-Metal VF-1 variations. Well, maybe a VF-1S Hikaru Strike Valk if they make one, as I'm a sucker for Hikaru's DYRL rides.

Personally speaking, I'm far more excited about the upcoming Hi-Metal VF-19S.

Although, based on Bandai's engineering for the VF-1, I must say, I'd be interested to see what they could do with the VF-0A/D/S.

Graham