Official 1/100 BANDAI VF Hi Metal VF-1J Valkyrie

Black Valkyrie

Just flop around... Even before you pick up the toy.Another member TD reports the same problem... On the same wing (left wing).I think you can transform without swapping the canopy... (at office now! can't really check)But no, you can't keep the gun hand in. The gun-holding hand is molded with the gun hilt, so it won't fit.

If you turn the gun hands upside down in fighter mode, can they still stay on?

Mine should arrive today or tomorrow and I'll take some pics. Anyone have any special photo requests?

Dynamic crouching poses and poses showing the limits of articulation in battroid/gerwalk modes.

I unfortunately pre-ordered mine on evilbay thinking I'd get it faster, the seller says he hasn't even received his supply of the damn figures yet, I should have just used HLJ I have a 10% off coupon from them anyway.

I unfortunately pre-ordered mine on evilbay thinking I'd get it faster, the seller says he hasn't even received his supply of the damn figures yet, I should have just used HLJ I have a 10% off coupon from them anyway.

And 70% off for shipping. You only pay 388 yen for shipping from Japan to US via Fedex express mail.

The 1st time I touch it, it feels crap! For 1/100, I think it's the best so far. Everything stays when you transform or plays with it. But just have the feeling all the joints will be loose after a while. It feels light weight and small. :lol:

100vf1j.jpg

Edited by bb_f1

Got mine today. No pics until later but here's a whole bunch of words for you. :)

vf1j001.png

vf1j002.png

Package: This has some of the best box art for a Macross toy that I’ve seen in quite some time. Images of all three modes of the toy mixed in with a big gorgeous painting of the VF-1J in battroid, TV Hikaru and Minmay. It harkens back to box art from the 80’s (although still isn’t as aesthetically perfect as a Takatoku box). There is a box flap that is held shut with magnets and a window underneath that is die-cut around the shape of the valk so you can’t actually see the accessories at all. I like this effect since a wide array of accessories is usually kind of ugly. The inside of the flap and the back of the box are standard and show various photos of the toy listing its different points of interest.

vf1j008.png

Fighter: I really like the feel of this straight out of the box. While the Toynami 1/100 VF-1 felt a bit flimsy, fragile and frobbly to me (although still a good toy in its own right – and cheaper) this one has a nice heft for something of its size and nothing frobbles – it’s tight as a drum just like a Yamato V2. Neither wing is loose on mine, either. The plastic isn’t quite as bright white as a Yamato TV V2 toy, having a more off-white tint. One thing that I find particularly striking is how far the head tucks in. Instead of the battroid head jutting out like most other VF-1 toys, this one is tucked in so flush with the underside that its not even visible from the side. Heads sticking out has never bothered me, but once I saw this I realized how much more streamlined it makes fighter mode.

vf1j011.png

Landing Gear: Not much to say, really. They’re separate pieces that plug in. They hold tight, they look great and they do their job well, they’re not microscopically tiny. The wheels don’t roll, but that’s probably a good thing for this scale. I’m not one for lots of extra parts, but I almost like these removable gear better than retractable. They seem easier to deal with to me.

vf1j010.png

Wings: Wings clip out and in easily and all four have a tight connection. The hardpoints hold each of the missile clusters tightly with a simple round peg/round hole attachment. Not much else to say.

vf1j009.png

Cockpit/Canopy: The canopy comes off rather than opening on a hinge. While that is a bummer for those who like to have an open-canopy display, it’s probably for the best with this size as a hinge could be really easy to break. The canopy is a slightly smokey blue/grey with neatly painted black trim. It attaches securely with two pegs that are diagonally across from each other. The cockpit is painted a glossy gunmetal and there are no instrument panel details (naturally). The pilot is incredibly small, yet removable and painted. I’m surprised they painted as many details on him as they did because it’s so tiny. It’s clearly Hikaru in his TV flight suit.

vf1j013.png

vf1j014.png

vf1j019.png

vf1j020.png

Transformation to Battroid (my method, I haven’t checked the instructions): Unpeg legs from tailfin/backpack/arms (they are secured tightly in three different areas). Next fold the (metal) swingbar and legs to the back. Unpeg chestplate and swing it up and over the canopy...fold arms out to sides on double hinges (no sliding over humps here, they fold straight out)...Fold over the nose piece and peg into metal swing bar...remove canopy and replace with heatshield (heatshield is panel-lined!)...clip chestplate into heatshield...flip up the head...fold up the backpack (held with friction, but is tight)...fold out the hands (open a panel and flip them out)...pull out the feet...done. Most of it is pretty standard, but the little differences are NICE, like the way the swing bar attaches to the back of the nose and the way the arms fold out to the sides on double hinges. Everything is very intuitive and nothing is fiddly or aggravating. It’s almost as quick and simple as transforming a 1/55 chunky.

Battroid: If you’ve handled Robot:Damashii figures then you’ll have an idea of the overall feel of this. It’s small, but it has a tight and durable feel to it. The plastic has a nice rich finish and doesn’t feel as cheap as the Toynami 1/100. The joints are all have the perfect tension on mine. None are worringly tight and none are annoyingly loose. They’re all friction joints except for the knees, which ratchet. The feet have an amazing range and can pull out a lot further than you might expect to allow for some very wide stances. One thing that I don’t recall being mentioned is that you DO NOT have to swap hands for the gunpod. The right hand that folds into the arm has a square hole in it that holds the handle of the gunpod perfectly. I don’t think I’ll even use all of the extra hands that it comes with (both robotic and cartoony).

Proportions are fantastic. It looks to me like they took the Yamato V2 design and made it better. The hips probably stick out further than some would like, but to me they look nicely proportioned with the rest of battroid. Articulation is, pardon my language, goddamn AMAZING. The Yamato V2 is really fun to pose but this one beats it. The legs have the most range I’ve ever seen on a VF-1. This thing can almost do Yoga!

Random thoughts: One thing I was worried about was that the head lazers would be limp and gummy, but they’re actually pretty rigid and very straight. Not only that but you get a second set in the box which is brilliant. The intakes and hands are easy to swap and hold securely.

Overall I can safely say this is easily my favorite VF-1 toy yet – or at least tied with my previous favorite the Joke Machine. It’s got everything I want: Durability, fun and easy transformation, superposability, an excellent sculpt, and a size that wont hog my shelves and will encourage me to break my “one sculpt only” rule. I don’t think I’ll get the exclusive Max 1J, but if they do TV versions of the 1As, the 1S, 1D, Elint and Ostrich, I’ll be all over them. I’ll also get the super/strike packs when they are released (which they will be, there are connection points for them). I’m also really, really hoping they do a GBP armor set for this because if it was made with the same care and cleverness as the 1J it would be phenomenal.

Edited by eriku

Thanks for the review. Just one request: Mind giving some thoughts on Gerwalk mode?

Sorry, I didn't comment on gerwalk since I always go straight from fighter to battroid. :)

I'll give gerwalk a try later when I'm shooting photos.

Lots of words.

Got mine this morning. The only part of this I don't agree with is the "favorite VF-1 toy" bit. My favorite VF-1 remains the 1/250 Bandai MFC version since it has no part swapping, no loose joints, no parts that break etc.

I can't wait until more versions of this come out. It'll be neat to see how/if they handle super parts or armor.

i think he meant "favorite transforming VF-1 toy..."

in all fairness, battroid mode does look good from looking at bbf1 and ff95gj's pics. and if it's really similar to posing/handling a Robot Damashii fig., that's a pretty good.

just too small for me when it comes to a transformable toy and i'm more into fighter mode and just transforming and staring at my valks right now... but congrats to those who got this. i hope they make a VF-4 so i can finally get my hands on a VF Hi-metal fig.

Darn, all these comments are making me actually consider getting one of these little suckers. :lol:

Well, I might eventually anyway, just the VF-19S takes precedence, since I already have 5 other Hikaru 1Js in various scales (some in various stages of being built). I wouldn't mind having one of these to sit on my desk at work though.

j1.jpg

j9.jpg

jb.jpg

i'll say it again; the ideal "Porta-Valkyrie"

perfect pocketable size for those who might like a VF-1 on-the-go (myself included)

nevertheless, it is overpriced, a PARTS-FORMER (even if only in the loosest sense)

has an ugly stubby nosecone all too reminiscent of the TRANS-FORMERS JETFIRE sculpt.

final verdict; a nice alternative; pocketable and well made,

but NO competition for the Yammie 1/60v.II...

Edited by Shaorin

nevertheless, it a PARTS-FORMER (even if only in the loosest sense)

Very loose. :lol:

The only thing that needs to be swapped or added for transformation is the heat shield, and even that doesn't really have to be attached. It helps lock the chestplate down, but isn't absolutely necessary. Can't really count the landing gear since it isn't part of the transformation. ;)

Edited by eriku

Added some pics to my review. Here's some more:

Teach me how to pose, Sempai!

vf1j022.png

I would, but these cracked joints are a bitch! Ask Uncle Lupin.

vf1j024.png

I'll show you how to move. First lets stretch!

vf1j026.png

Now get your body in harmony with some yoga...

vf1j029.png

Alright, draw!!

vf1j034.png

Now, ride the dinosaur!!

vf1j036.png

Disfunctional family portrait

vf1j041.png

Damn that VF-1J looks delish. See Eriku the other reason I lost some love for the Toynami 1/100's is because mine look like your 1S pictured; they are in pieces. Cracked polycaps=loose connection, loose enough to fall off onto the carpet and get lost for months. The best thing about the 1/100's by Toynami was the use of ABS and the design overall looked good, it was plenty fun to pose in battroid and the price was good.

However the VF HI METAL seems to fix every qualm I had with the Toynami 1/100's and outdo it. I am itching to find out if the inevitable VF-1S will have able to conceal the head well in fighter mode. Every transformable VF-1S to date always has the visor(if even just a bit), peeking out. Will VF HI METAL be the 1st to break this tradition?

Tentative purchase list for me might be VF HI METAL Blazer and 1J. Definitely looking into the 1S and 1A brownie since we know those are inevitable just hope Tamashii doesn't webshop the latter and make it exclusive.