Official 1/100 BANDAI VF Hi Metal VF-1J Valkyrie

Black Valkyrie

nice work. The HM 1J does seem to have a gap from front to back of battroid (although the side covers make it a bit harder to tell how bad it is... but they do make that V2 look sweet). Note, nosecone placement in battroid is pretty much the same but the HM has its head in the right spot (which probably means fighter mode of the HM looks much more squat).

DSC02113.jpgDSC02114.jpg

hmmm.

thanx for the comparo.

not trying to be a yammie-fanboy, but the v2 is really alot more better proportioned.

in contrast, I can see this HM-1J as having more additional disproportionate stuff than just the obvious thin small feet.

-- the chest is smaller and higher up in placement.

-- the thighs are a bit quite anorexic

then again, maybe it could be just the angle of the HM-1J pic, tho.

I really have no idea why we're comparing a 1/60 v2 to the new hi-metal, obviously the v2 should win in every area it costs nearly twice as much and has a bigger scale for more detail. The hi-metal should be compared to things in it's size and I guess relative price range, namely toynami 1/100 or revies, which this is a win over those in from what I see every area.

I really have no idea why we're comparing a 1/60 v2 to the new hi-metal, obviously the v2 should win in every area it costs nearly twice as much and has a bigger scale for more detail. The hi-metal should be compared to things in it's size and I guess relative price range, namely toynami 1/100 or revies, which this is a win over those in from what I see every area.

Not just detail, bandai also has to worry about nominal wall thicknesses, tolerances (wich are harder to maintain at a smaller scale) and other manufacturing nightmares at that scale. the fact that it looks as good as it does is astonishing.

although the v2 yammie is twice as much as the bandai and the bandai is twice as much as the toynami, i still think the bandai vs toynami is a more fair comparison considering they both had the exact same manufacturing challenges from a small scale.

anything is easier in a bigger, larger budget scale. (toy-wise)

when yamato tries to make something small and transforming, then we'll talk.

it really comes down to shelf space, price, availability, brand loyalty, and which one people have already invested in. Bandai is at a disadvantage considering the last factor, but im sure both of these toys will please whoever buys them.

sure we can.

It is very easy for them to surpass the revies and the toynami, considering both revies and toynami suck from the get-go at everything.

I just really don't see why Bandai can't (or won't) make their HM-1J as pleasingly proportionate as the Yammie-v2, regardless of size and cost differences.

B))

Someone above already mentioned the difficulties the smaller scale represents. We should also note that Yamato failed. They had more room to work with and they still screwed up the tolerances on the shoulders. So, Bandai has much tighter tolerances to deal with and thus will be more prone to being fragile. If they can make their toy look THAT good and still be playable than they'll have pulled off a major coup. Of course, some people are just going to hate this toy for various reason (landing gear you have to put on, heat shield that's not integral, etc.). I think what we need to do next is have someone put up a piece of line art in that same pose... but that probably doesn't exist. I suspect if that were done people might be a little less prone to praising the V2... which is beautiful no doubt but has some compromises of its own.

Thanks for the comparison pics Vi-RS.

I prefer the Hi-Metal's shoulders. Otherwise it's Yamato for everything else.

I just really don't see why Bandai can't (or won't) make their HM-1J as pleasingly proportionate as the Yammie-v2, regardless of size and cost differences.

I wonder if there is a line they can't cross regarding IP infringement. :unsure:

Someone above already mentioned the difficulties the smaller scale represents. We should also note that Yamato failed. They had more room to work with and they still screwed up the tolerances on the shoulders. So, Bandai has much tighter tolerances to deal with and thus will be more prone to being fragile. If they can make their toy look THAT good and still be playable than they'll have pulled off a major coup. Of course, some people are just going to hate this toy for various reason (landing gear you have to put on, heat shield that's not integral, etc.). I think what we need to do next is have someone put up a piece of line art in that same pose... but that probably doesn't exist. I suspect if that were done people might be a little less prone to praising the V2... which is beautiful no doubt but has some compromises of its own.

Wasn't the shoulder issue basically that the factory were using the wrong pins, which caused the breakages? I was under the impression that the smooth pinned shoulders were safe. :unsure:

yeah, the shoulder problem was mainly caused by the pin. But, Yamato also got overconfident with the design of the shoulder. the outside sections where the cracks formed on the hingle are too thin. way too thin. and then yamato decided to make those thin tabs beveled. (with holes through them already...). they made them thin so they could make the plastic swaybar that the whole assembly pivots on thicker. (the hinge has to fold onto/ overlap itself) which is dumb, because its like .4-.5 inches thick compared to the 1/16th of an inch or so on each end of the shoulder hindge. they should have compromised and shrunk the width of the swaybar.

the reason we're comparing this to the 1/60 is because it's an achievement.

It looks good.

Really good.

The 1/60, looks like a ballet dancer (although accurate). The position of the head makes it look almost human. This looks badass. The placement of the shoulders and head gives it more of an animation look to it. There's a tone that's turning people to this.

And as I've said before, if this became a complete line, along with some enemy mecha and destroids, this could be the new monopoly

Lineart accurate is always more subjective than we think.

Even though this is the umpteenth VF-1 toy it's cool that Bandai still managed to bring something new to the table by including alternate wings. It seems like such a tiny detail, but I'm looking forward to having wings with no hard points on them.

Even though this is the umpteenth VF-1 toy it's cool that Bandai still managed to bring something new to the table by including alternate wings. It seems like such a tiny detail, but I'm looking forward to having wings with no hard points on them.

what is this alternate wings thing about?

2prxq14.jpg

Can someone post a picture of a 1/60 v2 posed just like the HM?

I appreciate it and I'm sure others would too. Then, we can make the comparison.

here we are, i think...

DSC_1484.jpg

my personal impressions? the BanHiMet comes off as an engineering throwback.

it's too blocky and too chunky. it's overall lines much too inelegant.

and what is worse, is that it is NOT-repeat-NOT a "Perfect Transformation" not even close.

for me, all the "HI-METAL" in the world couldn't possibly make up

for this shortcoming. still, different strokes for different folks...

nonetheless, i strongly reiterate that this is a variable form fighter aircraft we're talking about here,

not A robotic "Ryu the STREET FIGHTER"

Edited by Shaorin

If they're going alternative wings thing, they should go the next step and include stubby wings for battroid. Personally, I think alternative wings sounds kinda lame.

Why is it lame? I'm sure you can just leave whichever set on that you want.

::EDIT::

Unless they're like the Revoltech wings, which I've heard fall off easily.

Edited by eriku

here we are, i think...

DSC_1484.jpg

my personal impressions? the BanHiMet comes off as an engineering throwback.

it's too blocky and too chunky. it's overall lines much too inelegant.

and what is worse, is that it is NOT-repeat-NOT a "Perfect Transformation" not even close.

for me, all the "HI-METAL" in the world couldn't possibly make up

for this shortcoming. still, different strokes for different folks...

nonetheless, i strongly reiterate that this is a variable form fighter aircraft we're talking about here,

not A robotic "Ryu the STREET FIGHTER"

You need to learn to play with the shoulder, it is adjustable and yours are falling like the 1/48.

You need to learn to play with the shoulder, it is adjustable.

It seems a common problem with 1/60 v2 owners. Even in Macross Chronicle and official pics those shoulders are never posed as they should be. See the 1/60VF1S in the comparison pic above: THAT is the correct way to pose the shoulders. I personally hate head position, too, but there's a way to mitigate the ugliness: just keep the chest piece slightly "up". But it's all a matter of taste, as many have said before. I personally am a sucker for VF1Js and I'll buy everything they'll throw at me, regardless. Thus said and, back on topic, If this new 1/100 from Bandai has the same quality of the HM VF19 Kay, It's sure going to be a win!

Edited by nexxstrait

Why is it a "either or" situation if you like the HM then buy one if you don't then don't buy it but how come it always come down to a versus question, there not even the same scale and it is possible to you know, like BOTH the Yamato and Bandai versions.