Official 1/100 BANDAI VF Hi Metal VF-1J Valkyrie

Black Valkyrie

why must they release the first one in the most boring paint scheme ever.

because its the one that insures that the other schemes get made...

I don't know what it is, but everytime I think I'm satisfied with the versions have everytime I see a new and good looking version, first thing to mind is "WANT". I'm just glad I don't have to get rid of any toynamis to replace them with these.

At this point the only thing I'm missing are some side covers.

Side covers on a 1/100 toy sound annoying to me. I know "then don't use them" comes to mind but I think sales of this toy might be hurt if it comes with lots of stray parts. Heck, people bashed the Toynami 1/100 for all its extra parts... even though many of them were a stand and the parts related to that stand.

I think starting out with the Hikaru 1J is the best possible choice. I'm tired of the Fokker-1S and the DYRL 1A's. The Hikaru is iconic without being so played out.

This thing looks beautiful, though. I wish it had integral gear, even if the gear had to be less detailed.

I think starting out with the Hikaru 1J is the best possible choice. I'm tired of the Fokker-1S and the DYRL 1A's. The Hikaru is iconic without being so played out.

This thing looks beautiful, though. I wish it had integral gear, even if the gear had to be less detailed.

I agree. The 1J is definitely the most iconic. It's like the x-wing fighter of macross

Side covers on a 1/100 toy sound annoying to me. I know "then don't use them" comes to mind but I think sales of this toy might be hurt if it comes with lots of stray parts. Heck, people bashed the Toynami 1/100 for all its extra parts... even though many of them were a stand and the parts related to that stand.

Nah, on a toy with a sculpt that is this nice, they should include them. Not to mention that they already have the intake covers as removable, I wouldn't mind two extra removable pieces. This toy is not going to be cheap like the Toynamis are, so I don't mind a few extra parts to make it more worthwhile to buy and to make it look complete. If it doesn't come with them, I'll pass. I'm cool with the 1/60 Yamato version knowing I can purchase side covers from EXO or get them with the GBP set, at least.

Well, I have to applaud Bandai for making it look good.. but until they start doing something incredibly revolutionary with these, they just aren't worth the money. This one's better than the Fire Valkyrie, but still way too high priced for what you get.

I took a chance on the Fire Valk, and while it's decent enough, it's definitely not worth the $60 I paid for it, and even that was 25% off. That's the same as my Masterpiece Skywarp cost, for something about two-thirds the length, no where near the same material content, and no real noticeable difference in quality... well, except that Bandai can't seem to figure out how to match colors for anything, and they keep insisting on using plastic molded in grey and painted red to match red plastic.. it doesn't work so well. Oh, and Skywarp included a complete stand. <_<

To me.. these just look like they should be sold alongside the $15-$20 transformers you find at any other store. Roughly the same size and such, though articulation may be a bit better (although I'd say the limp wrists aren't worth it).

I'd love to understand where the extra cost comes from in these... I guess maybe production line size, development time, licensing.. I dunno. I might get some of the more rare Valks when (and if) they come out, I just hope the prices come down.

What was the old joke? Anakin didn't have big enough hands to be Vader? Or was it a Spiderman joke?

EDIT - from the looks of it they've made the feet thinner so that you can angle them in or out in battroid mode. If that's really how it works I'd say it's pretty clever.

Edited by jenius

I'd love to understand where the extra cost comes from in these... I guess maybe production line size, development time, licensing.. I dunno. I might get some of the more rare Valks when (and if) they come out, I just hope the prices come down.

A niche series like Macross 7 is going to carry a premium price tag precisely because it has considerably less potential buyers than whatever transformer they're making for the kids these days. Plus Bandai had the added advantage that there was no rival making another version of the VF-19kai (back then) so they tried to maximize their profit margin. I agree, it is still too much for such a small -- and INCOMPLETE: i.e. lack of fists and base for stand -- toy, but I can see why Bandai did it.

Meanwhile, they seem to be pricing the other 1/100 offerings, the VF-25 and VF-1, closer to the 4000-5000 yen mark because they expect more buyers. The VF-1 in particular cannot sell for the price they set for the VF-19kai because Bandai knows the buyer will see a better deal in the superior 1/60 Yamato for not much more money. Keeping their lower price point competes with Yamato, but when you consider that the other recent transformable VF-1 offering, the Revoltech, went for around 2500 yen, Bandai can feel like the customer will accept the higher price tag when presented with a higher quality and better engineered product in comparison, even if the size may be similar.

So I agree with you in terms of these toys being overly expensive, due to the nature of a toy being a luxury commodity rather than a necessity, but when you look at Bandai's pricing in terms of the market factors at play, I can understand why they went the route they did.

Yamato and their 120,000 yen SDF-1, however... yeah, that's just crazy talk. :rolleyes:

In any case, prices usually do come down. By the time these Hi-metal guys come out, the 1/60 Yamatos might be on sale for around the same price! The only issue is when we find out all too late that production runs were more limited than we had expected...

Well, I have to applaud Bandai for making it look good.. but until they start doing something incredibly revolutionary with these, they just aren't worth the money. This one's better than the Fire Valkyrie, but still way too high priced for what you get.

I took a chance on the Fire Valk, and while it's decent enough, it's definitely not worth the $60 I paid for it, and even that was 25% off. That's the same as my Masterpiece Skywarp cost, for something about two-thirds the length, no where near the same material content, and no real noticeable difference in quality... well, except that Bandai can't seem to figure out how to match colors for anything, and they keep insisting on using plastic molded in grey and painted red to match red plastic.. it doesn't work so well. Oh, and Skywarp included a complete stand. <_<

To me.. these just look like they should be sold alongside the $15-$20 transformers you find at any other store. Roughly the same size and such, though articulation may be a bit better (although I'd say the limp wrists aren't worth it).

Unjustifiable critique, considering Yamato sells their VF-11 for 200+$ with very plain fast packs, no stand and not much anything else, but it is only slightly bigger than a VF-1 which in turn only goes for an average of ~150$.

Or if I use your transformer comparison, I could get an MP-04. That has die-cast content and comes with a trailer and other nifty extras. Or I could probably get an MP seeker + Grimlock for that money. Heck, lets take the comparisons even further... with the exception of Zeta, GP01 and Gundam 00 I could get a nicely detailed and bigger Perfect Grade Gundam for 200$ or less.

So is Bandai's pricing really that unreasonable?

At this point the only thing I'm missing are some side covers.

I hope they include them from start and one up Yamato on this.

HA! In this day and age they will probably be webshop limited edition ;)

Edited by Twoducks

Does it have a pilot? For that price it should be included?

Also noticed that the kites are not tampo printed... :(

Also noticed that the kites are not tampo printed...

This is still isn't the final product. I'm hoping there will be some detail tampo.

I haven't really looked into it, but how is the tampo printing on the fire valk? (or whatever that red thing is called?)

I haven't really looked into it, but how is the tampo printing on the fire valk? (or whatever that red thing is called?)

It's pretty much just the lightning bolts on the fuselage and a 'V' detail on the shield, but it's nicely done.

Unjustifiable critique, considering Yamato sells their VF-11 for 200+$ with very plain fast packs, no stand and not much anything else, but it is only slightly bigger than a VF-1 which in turn only goes for an average of ~150$.

True enough, I wasn't considering Yamato in that comparison, and I should have. I guess what separates them for me is that Bandai has been aiming much more toward the playable side, while Yamato goes more for displayability (or would that be dis-playability? :lol:).

Yamato isn't a small company, but compared to Bandai, they're rather insignificant, with much more limited production (I would assume, I could be wrong), so I guess that makes me tend to be more accepting of their prices. Compared to Yamato, the prices do make sense, even it's just because they're roughly evenly inflated.

Oh well. I might get one eventually, if only to display on my desk at work. I don't care for the scale, but then again, the smaller size is much more inconspicuous for the workplace.

True enough, I wasn't considering Yamato in that comparison, and I should have. I guess what separates them for me is that Bandai has been aiming much more toward the playable side, while Yamato goes more for displayability (or would that be dis-playability? :lol:).

Both the Yamato and Bandai toys are aimed at otaku collectors rather than kids. Both are aimed at folks who tend to display rather than play.

Yamato isn't a small company, but compared to Bandai, they're rather insignificant, with much more limited production (I would assume, I could be wrong), so I guess that makes me tend to be more accepting of their prices. Compared to Yamato, the prices do make sense, even it's just because they're roughly evenly inflated.

Instead of comparing to Yamato, a better way to look at the price might be look at Gundam prices. The GFF Next Gen. RGZ-95 ReZel costs 6,000yen. It's roughly the same size as a 1/100 VF-1 yet it contains zero metal and is not even perfect transformation. The GFF NG ZII is also similar in size but is perfect transformation and contains some metal. But it costs 7,800yen. When I look at those GFF toys, I think the VF HiMetal VF-1J at 5,500yen is fairly priced.

Edited by Vifam7

Bandai's prices are all over the shop, they always have been. Master grades etc are great value for what you get and the hours you get out of them, robot damashi's are horribly overpriced for just basic action figures and soc's are really expensive but worth every penny and so on and so forth.

I gotta say I think the Hi-metal VF-1 isn't badly priced for them and could certainly be worse.

Edited by Fort Max

I gotta say I think the Hi-metal VF-1 isn't badly priced for them and could certainly be worse.

Agreed. I think the Hi-Metal line is priced exactly where it should be. Heck, I remember paying around Y7000 for the Yamato 1/72 YF-19 when it came out. The Hi-Metal VF-19 Kai isn't that much smaller and it's an infinitely better toy. For it to be right at the same price as the 1/72 Yammies were when they came out 10 years ago is pretty amazing.

Now take the VF-1. The original 1/72 HCM VF-1 retailed for around Y3000 waaaaaaay back in 1985. This new Hi-Metal, albeit a bit smaller at 1/100, is retailing at around Y5000 and can be bought for Y3900 at places such as AmiAmi. The new Hi-Metal VF-1 is almost certain to be a better toy than the old HCM. Y900 difference between the two is pretty damn good for toys that have an age difference of 25 years.

CollectionDX actually has a recent essay/discussion on 'value' and 'worth' of toys that makes some excellent points. Check it out: http://www.collectiondx.com/article/a_question_of_value

Edited by eriku

Those are HCMs (High Complete Model). Hi-Metal was originally the name of the Bandai reworkings of the Takatoku molds, i.e., the 1/55s.

band_vf1a_1.jpg

D'oh- for some reason I thought the 1/72s were also under the "Hi-Metal" banner.

I am dumping toynami's for this, looks much better IMHO.

I'll dump my Toynami as soon as this gets a fastpack. ^_^

Definitely looks much better. Only negative I see is that the feet are too small, but it has an ankle joint, so it's really hard to complain. Fighter mode looks MUCH better than the Toynami. I hope the QC ends up as good as it looks.

The QC on the VF100 VF-25 is actually pretty excellent, it's just the 1000-Pieces-of-Madness transformation system that is the bane of that toy. QC on my Kai is excellent as well. Was there a widespread loose shoulder problem?

The QC on the VF100 VF-25 is actually pretty excellent, it's just the 1000-Pieces-of-Madness transformation system that is the bane of that toy. QC on my Kai is excellent as well. Was there a widespread loose shoulder problem?

Ah, but you forget the VF-25F's Achilles' Heel: the peg joints on the legs that render Gerwalk mode useless. And there have been complaints from people here that the left shoulder of the Fire Valk pops off.

Ah, but you forget the VF-25F's Achilles' Heel: the peg joints on the legs that render Gerwalk mode useless. And there have been complaints from people here that the left shoulder of the Fire Valk pops off.

Heh, I never put mine into Gerwalk so I wouldn't have noticed.

Yeah, I read about a couple people having their fire valk come detached at the shoulder, but I didn't assume it was a widespread thing. At least they snap right back on and aren't actually breaking I guess.

Definitely looks much better. Only negative I see is that the feet are too small, but it has an ankle joint, so it's really hard to complain.

Sure it is. The Feet are too small and it looks horrible because of it. There, easy as pie. Easy as it's going to be to skip this one. Maybe someday they'll manage to do something in this line that's worth getting.

Sure it is. The Feet are too small and it looks horrible because of it. There, easy as pie. Easy as it's going to be to skip this one. Maybe someday they'll manage to do something in this line that's worth getting.

My, how things come around. I think I got a mouthful from you after complaining about the look of the legs and feet of the 1/60 YF-21.

So I'll just return the favour using your own words...

"And if you like your toy's all fat and bloated like trailer trash at MacDonald, that's your problem."

You were tricked by the black background. The feet are fine.

You were tricked by the black background. The feet are fine.

tiny feet are tiny...

gallery_151_382_4151.jpg

My, how things come around. I think I got a mouthful from you after complaining about the look of the legs and feet of the 1/60 YF-21.

So I'll just return the favour using your own words...

"And if you like your toy's all fat and bloated like trailer trash at MacDonald, that's your problem."

Speaking of disgustingly fat people, have you ever seen someone who's got GIGANTIC ankles? Like grotesquely swollen elephant stumps standing on a pare of semi-normal feet? That's what it looks like, except that it's the tiny feet making the legs look fat and not the fat legs making the feet look small.

Edited by anime52k8