Rate these anime shows

I have just got my hands on a few anime series that I have not watched yet and was interested in comments on which ones are really good or not, so I know which to watch first. I watch all types of anime so I am interested in talk about the quality of the shows more than anything.

So, tell me about the following(ONLY IF YOU'VE SEEN THEM)

Macross Frontier

Claymore

Desert Punk

Gungrave

Ah! My Goddess

tanx in advance!!!

I have just got my hands on a few anime series that I have not watched yet and was interested in comments on which ones are really good or not, so I know which to watch first. I watch all types of anime so I am interested in talk about the quality of the shows more than anything.

Why'd you bother getting them if you're not sure about the quality?

'kay then...

Macross Frontier

Good stuff... a real return to form after the weirdness of Macross 7 and the WTF factor of Macross Zero. The tone's somewhat lighter than that of the original Macross series, with a "school life" backdrop for much of the time not spent in combat. Overall, the show's story is solid, with good characterization for the characters who matter. While the story does borrow a fair bit from previous shows, it's done in enough new ways to keep things interesting. The music is up to Macross's usual exemplary standards, and it's just as well, because the two principal girls in the compulsory love triangle are both singers. The background characters are a mixed bag, with some genuinely interesting or hilarious ones that are well thought-out (Ozma, Bobby, Cathy), and a handful of cliched cardboard cutouts present only to draw a particular fetish demographic's attention (Nanase (big tits, shy girl, glasses), Luca (shotacon), and Klan (lolicon, giant girl, tsundere)). The mechanical designs are impressively well-rendered, though somewhat anachronistic as we seem to have come full circle and gone back to the VF-1 and the VF-4, just with VF-19 and VF-22-style transformations respectively. The few large-scale dogfights in the series are still well-choreographed and genuinely exciting, so even if the mecha don't 100% fit your tastes, they'll at least keep it interesting for you. The only part of the story that is genuinely obnoxious is that Macross seems to have jumped on the trend of "mercenaries are awesome", by turning the New U.N. Spacy into complete poo and having an elite mercenary unit with the latest VFs have to come and bail them out every time a fight starts.

On the whole, Macross Frontier is an exemplary series (in my opinion) with a few minor flaws that do little to detract from the enjoyment of the show as a whole. Whether you come for the characters or the giant robots, you won't leave disappointed.

Claymore

I've seen it, but it's not really my thing, so I'll leave the biases-based hate for what is otherwise at least a reasonably well-executed series out and wait for someone who does enjoy that sort of thing to give you the lowdown on it.

Desert Punk

Haven't seen it.

Gungrave

Haven't seen the whole thing yet, but the impression I got was that it was rather like a cross between Hellsing and Trigun, in terms of the protagonist's palpable malice and the runny-shooty gun antics. Impressive as a spectacle, if nothing else.

Ah! My Goddess

If harem comedies are your thing, you've hit the motherlode.

If not, prepare for the usual tedium about an insecure Japanese boy pointedly not becoming romantically involved with any of the the bevy of eager women who live at his house, despite a fervent crush on one of them. As usual, it's set in a fantastical background to offset the usual logical issue of having a legion of attractive young women falling madly in love with a guy who blends into the wallpaper, in this case, the protagonist accidentally phones the "goddess help line" and ends up with a literal deity living at his house because he wished for a girlfriend just like her.

I found it obnoxious as hell, but then again I've always wondered at the sanity of harem comedy protagonists, who seem to be almost SAINTLY in their ability to ignore the incredibly buxom women who are throwing themselves at them on an hourly basis.

(Now, if you want a subversion of the usual harem show tropes, you might want to try Ouran High School Host Club (Ōran Kōkō Hosuto Kurabu) or The Student Council's Discretion (Seitokai no Ichizon)).

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Macross Frontier

Watch it.

Claymore

never saw

Desert Punk

Raunchy and perverted. Lots of fan service and an ending that will make you mad.

Gungrave

Good series. Its like a mobster flick but with undead soldiers.

Ah! My Goddess

Never saw. Reminds me too much of tenchi muyo which i never understood.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

To Gubaba

okay, well somebody does not like (Macross) Frontier...okay...

To Seto Kaiba

I have a few friends that have greater access to attaining anime, so whatever they have(as they are not really into anime), they let me take.

To anyone that can answer

So what is the problem with Macross Frontier? I must offer that I am one of those that does not mind Macross 7 ( I remember earlier days on this Forum where there was heated debates on the quality of that show) so I would not mind if the show had good fight scenes and a reasonable attempt at story and linking it to Macross.

To Gubaba

okay, well somebody does not like (Macross) Frontier...okay...

To Seto Kaiba

I have a few friends that have greater access to attaining anime, so whatever they have(as they are not really into anime), they let me take.

So what is the problem with Macross Frontier? I must offer that I am one of those that does not mind Macross 7 ( I remember earlier days on this Forum where there was heated debates on the quality of that show) so I would not mind if the show had good fight scenes and a reasonable attempt at story and linking it to Macross.

I was joking. Macross Frontier is actually really good. And the battle scenes are spectacular.

Not sure why you're asking... the sarcasm was so thick on Gubaba's post that you could cut it into blocks.

Personally, I didn't pay much any attention to the discussions about the quality of the show, since it seems a bit on the premature side to start making declarations about a show's quality when only a handful of episodes have been aired. Granted, as in ANY anime series there are some minor, temporary lapses in quality due to budget constraints or deadlines, and that's ok... it's an unavoidable part of doing a weekly animated TV series. The few brief moments of low quality are offset by the show's generally high standards for quality and some truly exemplary moments like the battles in episode 7, 24, and 25.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't like Macross 7 at all and I went into Macross Frontier expecting it to be more of same. Instead, what I got was a genuinely enjoyable show that exceeded my expectations considerably in almost every area, and actually had me waiting eagerly for each new episode to come out... which anyone who knows me can tell you is practically unprecedented. I would've liked a bit more originality in the mecha designs, but other than that and the PMC malarkey, I have no complaints about the show.

Agreed Seto.

When I use the word "quality" I do not mean visuals or voice acting or anything specific. I mean in terms of the overall presentation. Yes, most shows have the odd "off the mark" episode(s) and that is entirely understandable. To me, by episode 4 or 5, in most cases, I know whether I am watching a good show or not, regardless of its length (though I offer that I watch all shows all the way through, regardless of whether I'm really into or just watching because I started it). That being said, when someone mentions to me that a certain show is really good, I tend to watch it more closely but I am my own judge. I have enough anime with me that I have not seen, to last me several months. Bleach has taken up all my show watching and I'm taking a break from it and watching a show called Jing: King of Bandits. It is only 13 eps so by this week I'll be starting something new...

...I'm leaning toward Gungrave...

I'm from the camp that believes that Macross Frontier is not the greatest anime ever made. :)

The good points:

1) It's an incredible technical achievement. Animation quality is just superbly godly awesome.

2) Traditional Macross formula (I mean if you like any Macross you will probably find this)

3) Sheryl Nome

The bad:

1) The end kind of sucked, let's face it, POWAH OF SOOONG LOLZ, VF-25/VF-27 PEW PEW PEW PEW, OMG MECH4 PR0N. DEADALUS ATTACK!!! SH!T CHANG1NG UNDERPANTS BRB

2) VF-25 is ugly.

3) Ranka Lee

Edited by Ghost Train

Macross Frontier

Claymore

Desert Punk

Gungrave

Ah! My Goddess

Each of these series is different from the other as can be. Macross Frontier is fantastic, and you won't be let down with it. Great mecha action, and also has a bit of the comedic moments you'd expect from the average anime. Some people that expect only robots fighting 98% of the series and no character depth may criticize it too much, but if you like a good story with various elements involved, good start.

Claymore: I actually liked this series. It's a bit violent, lots of blood, and gore, but the series is quite good. I wouldn't call it totally original, not by a longshot, but it's exciting to watch.

Desert Punk: This has fan service, and some good action, but it didn't grab me as a series, and I just couldn't really get into it. I never finished watching it.

Gungrave: Saw parts of it, and a few episodes, and it seemed promising. I think the previous descriptions of it are just as good as any.

Ah! My Goddess: This series was great. For fan service, comedy, and a story that isn't grimn and sad, you'll enjoy this one. I laughed quite a bit on this one, and liked it enough to buy the sequel series. Good stuff.

Macross Frontier

You can get many opinions easily here, by looking at the old threads. Overall, i really liked it.

Claymore

Decent fantasy story, with a disappointing ending.

Desert Punk

Never seen it.

Gungrave

Good, mafia story about how a guy went from street thug to top hitman. Then theres some crazy zombie stuff

Ah! My Goddess

Good, if you're into shojou romance.

Edited by RDClip

That's fine. And moldy bread is better than a sack of dog turds. That doesn't mean you should consume either.

Yea, that is very true. (I personally had had moldy bread though) But what I was getting at is that harem anime from that era - like Tenchi at least tried to wrap some semblance of plot around the fail male protagonist and his gorgeous house guests.

Nowadays, that has been dispensed with. It's just tits tits and tits, and you find out at the end it's actually a guy.

That's fine. And moldy bread is better than a sack of dog turds. That doesn't mean you should consume either.

I liked Love Hina, but not for any reason I'm proud of.

The only truly GOOD harem anime, I believe, is Urusei Yatsura...a brilliant parody of a genre that didn't even exist when it was made.

Claymore: good until they stopped following the manga, bad ending.

Desert Punk: don't know...

Gungrave: don't know

Megami Sama:

If harem comedies are your thing, you've hit the motherlode.

I think Ah megami sama isn't harem, the main character likes only Belldandy, no???

Macross F won't say anything, you are asking about it on a Macross forum, what do you expect people to tell you??? Go ask at robotech.com :lol:

Macross Frontier.

SDF TV > MF > M7

Claymore.

Not bad,does have some annoying characters and predictable.

Desert Punk.

Amusing,decent.

Gungrave.

Dull,need to be in the 'mood' to enjoy,last few eps are cool.

AH! My Goddess.

Has its moments.

I think Ah megami sama isn't harem, the main character likes only Belldandy, no???

Yeah, but it's still technically a harem comedy because he (almost) never makes a move on Belldandy and spends a fair portion of his time besieged by the other girls as well. The same formula was used in Rosario + Vampire, where the protagonist decides what girl he likes early on, but is too much of a wuss to actually say it because he's either afraid of hurting the feelings of the other girls or is afraid that they'll murder him and cannibalize his body. As far as harem comedy goes, he subversions of the usual tropes are much more fun than the shows that stick to normal harem formula. Ouran High School Host Club is about a cold, indifferent ordinary girl besieged by a small group of absurdly rich guys with no common sense... all of whom she thinks are batshit insane. There's also The Student Council's Discretion, wherein the poor main character is avidly pursuing a small group of utterly disinterested women who treat him like crap because he's a h-game addict and wants a "harem end". :rolleyes:

Urusei Yatsura a harem anime? Granted, Ataru certainly wanted a harem, but with Lum around, his chances were nil.

That's why it's a parody of the genre as well. And a number of the girls Ataru met WOULD'VE thrown themselves at him, if Lum hadn't been around to shock some fidelity into him...

Macross Frontier

Claymore

Desert Punk

Gungrave

Ah! My Goddess

tanx in advance!!!

Macross Frontier - This show drove me nuts going from amazing epic macross to stupid harem BS jokes and chasing panties through the school then back to epic macross. Also I hated alto and ranka... so it was borderline average IMO.

Claymore - Dark Gruesome story about super soldier chicks with swords that hunt down and kill monsters. It was alright if you've read berserk its kind of like that but much less plot.

Gungrave - Loved this show awesome mob show that gets kinda wierd with the evil super unkillable zombie soldier things in the later half but still keeps its amazing plotline of revenge, friendship, betrayel, loyalty and stuff to make it one of the few shows I purchased the box set for.

Well, obviously Macross Frontier sucks. In fact, anything with the Macross name sucks. I hate Macross. You should too.

You are soft. I hate ANIME in general. So there!

Taksraven

burn it all, culture peaked with cave painting, everything else is decadent horse vomit!

CAVE PAINTING!!!! We never should have left the OCEANS you PHILISTINE!!

Taksraven

CAVE PAINTING!!!! We never should have left the OCEANS you PHILISTINE!!

Taksraven

you people won't be happy until we've stripped the mitochondria from our cells and we're all a bunch of single celled organisms again, will you? You, you, ZEALOTS!!!

you people won't be happy until we've stripped the mitochondria from our cells and we're all a bunch of single celled organisms again, will you? You, you, ZEALOTS!!!

Single celled organisms!!!! Oh wait. (Sagan, I need you now)

Taksraven

burn it all, culture peaked with cave painting, everything else is decadent horse vomit!

Well, there's always music. But there's only been one good piece of music that's ever been recorded (or written down), and that's "Yummy Yummy Yummy (I've Got Love in my Tummy)."

(See? I do like something!)

Well, there's always music. But there's only been one good piece of music that's ever been recorded (or written down), and that's "Yummy Yummy Yummy (I've Got Love in my Tummy)."

I thought that "MacArthur Park" was the pinnacle of music??

Taksraven

polyphony??? There's only one acceptable form of music and that is monophony. Polyphony is the work of the devil.