airbrush

hibiki_konzake

just shoot this topic but i just wanted to scream this at the world. :p

this weekend i tried my first airbrush that my wife gave me

and the only thing i can say is WOW why do't people tell it's so easy and so much fun.

my wife bought me a dual action airbrush and i used only 5ml to paint all of the internals of my vf25.

how could i have done without an airbrush for so long?!?

sorry i will be quiet again until i have pictures of my vf25 build. ^_^;

Edited by hibiki_konzake

Hah! Always good to hear people's enthusiasm when trying new things! :)

They're great aren't they? Wow, 5ml - you really used a lot of paint! Wait till you start thinning and seeing how far your paint can really go! These little things really are a lot of fun and make painting so much easier. Welcome to a new level of modeling.

And yes, please post pictures of your VF-25 as soon as you can. They never get old!

here are some pictures of my work. i think the color is good.

i know the engineering is good :p

yes i know daylight is better for pictures but i get home after dark.

post-10477-1267476633_thumb.jpg

post-10477-1267476617_thumb.jpg

post-10477-1267476574_thumb.jpg

post-10477-1267476550_thumb.jpg

air brush... you gonna open all the boxes you have and start everything.. never get to see your wife or girlfriend... don't care about civilization.. just air brush everything... you will hear your love one's voice but never going to see them... THAT'S what happened to me until my wife slap me on the back of my head... still hurts... welcome to air-brush sector... you can come in but never can get out....

air brush... you gonna open all the boxes you have and start everything.. never get to see your wife or girlfriend... don't care about civilization.. just air brush everything... you will hear your love one's voice but never going to see them... THAT'S what happened to me until my wife slap me on the back of my head... still hurts... welcome to air-brush sector... you can come in but never can get out....

oh getting out is easy just have to hear that sweet voice say "papa???" hahahaha

i played for half the day befor and after i picked up that airbrush. first is wife and son then school then work and then if i have time left i can do hobby.

i wonder how long my vf25 will take to finish it's been more then a year already. ^_^;

Yes! welcome to the New World.

May I inject some sober thought though, please... please use a real mask and have adequate ventilation. I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH - especially with lacquer metalizer paints. An airbrush "atomizes" the paint into such small particles that its easily inhaled and breathed more deeply into the lungs than just fumes from drying paint (which is also bad). This is especially bad when lacquers and metal particles are ingested. Any exposed soft tissues including eyes should be protected (as eyes also "breathes"). I use a 3M full mask with organic solvent filters (these mask have filter packs that must be changed every so often depending on your use). I want to get a full ventilation outside someday (fume hood) - but thats expensive. If at all possible, do it outside and don't expose other family members to it.

When I was young (high school), my best friend and I airbrushed into the wee hours - there was often a visible cloud hanging over our workbenches which would linger for hours. My parents kept complaining that it stunk up the whole house. Well, we were teenagers so nothing could harm us! He's dead now, died at the age of 35 of lung cancer and he never smoked a day in his life. It has completely changed my outlook on life. It may not have been the hobby, but I can't believe that it didn't make the situation worst.

So please enjoy the new delight, but PLEASE, PLEASE, everyone please practice safe airbrushing.

(OK, I'm off my soapbox now...)

oh getting out is easy just have to hear that sweet voice say "papa???" hahahaha

i played for half the day befor and after i picked up that airbrush. first is wife and son then school then work and then if i have time left i can do hobby.

i wonder how long my vf25 will take to finish it's been more then a year already. ^_^;

mine is sitting in the garage somewhere.. for like 3 years already... Yes that was before I had kids... that's with "s" I usually dream about it these days... :rolleyes: one day... One day.. I will gear up.. start making all those valkyries I've bought... this is waiting game.. I spent so much on air-brush sets.. (still new in the box, some of em..) hibiki! I hear you man....

Yes! welcome to the New World.

May I inject some sober thought though, please... please use a real mask and have adequate ventilation. I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH - especially with lacquer metalizer paints. An airbrush "atomizes" the paint into such small particles that its easily inhaled and breathed more deeply into the lungs than just fumes from drying paint (which is also bad). This is especially bad when lacquers and metal particles are ingested. Any exposed soft tissues including eyes should be protected (as eyes also "breathes"). I use a 3M full mask with organic solvent filters (these mask have filter packs that must be changed every so often depending on your use). I want to get a full ventilation outside someday (fume hood) - but thats expensive. If at all possible, do it outside and don't expose other family members to it.

When I was young (high school), my best friend and I airbrushed into the wee hours - there was often a visible cloud hanging over our workbenches which would linger for hours. My parents kept complaining that it stunk up the whole house. Well, we were teenagers so nothing could harm us! He's dead now, died at the age of 35 of lung cancer and he never smoked a day in his life. It has completely changed my outlook on life. It may not have been the hobby, but I can't believe that it didn't make the situation worst.

So please enjoy the new delight, but PLEASE, PLEASE, everyone please practice safe airbrushing.

(OK, I'm off my soapbox now...)

Thank you for sharing that sobering story. I'm going to grab my mask now. Lesson learned.

sorry nothing learned. ^_^

my dad was a pro spray painter. he did cars and central heating units. he always used carbon filters in his mask now he can't spray paint anymore he gets very bad headacks that last a few days if he does it now.

so yes outside is best but i also have build a fume hood. haven't tried it yet but it's siting there in the garage with all the other tools.

Thanks for all these anecdotal stories about the health hazards related to airbrush usage.

I too used to airbrush alot during my teen years. Nowadays, in my late 30s, I only use normal brushes because the fumes from airbrushing gives me a bad headache, even though I use a full face 3M filter, airbrushed just outside my apartment in the stairway lobby, and only stick to acrylic paints (Tamiya). Yeah, the new completed work doesn't look as great as my old airbrushed ones, but I would like to be around to see my daughter graduate. ^_^