macross II VF-2SS sylvie gena

shinagami

hi all, it's been a while since i built any model kit. as a starter for this new year, these are sort of a WIP for the macross II: valkyrie II VF-2SS which was piloted by ace caption sylvie gena during the lunar festival air show. the colour should be red with some white stripes. this is a 1/72 scale recast kit bought from hobby fan last year. here r some pics of the WIP.

DSC01668.jpg

DSC01670.jpg

the intake and exhaust wasn't deep enough for the kit

DSC01671.jpg

DSC01673.jpg

so i decide to drill some holes using drill bits, and did some filing to match the rectangular shape of the vents

DSC01674.jpg

similar situation here, drill and file

DSC01701.jpg

DSC01702.jpg

any comments, suggestions, tips or whatsoever r most welcome......thanks for looking

Edited by shinagami

Looks good. I like your idea with the intakes, and if I'm courageous enough - when I do mine - I may attempt that!

I agree! The intakes look better than even those of the Yamato figs, and actually look like real intakes instead of just fixed turbines carved onto a black-painted square.

Top marks!

I hope this isn't considered hijacking the thread (a thousand apologies if it is), but I've always hoped that Yamato would someday manufacture a 1/60 scale full transformation VF-2SS, despite the nigh impossible odds. I realize the anime got some pretty bad reception after its release, and was further damned by the fact that Kawamori never participated in it, but at the end of the day, the VF-2SS still has enough fans of its design to warrant at least a limited release.

No real tips or advice to throw your way, but 2 big thumbs up that your building both a Sylvie Gena & Lt. Nexx VF-2SS at the same time, too cool!!

I think a heavy weathered appearance would look great on this one!

thanks for the kind words and confidence, and for noticing the Lt. insignia for gilbert nexx...i thought he was a captain.... bout the weathering, haven't consider anything yet, at the moment all the thoughts would be on the detailing parts :wacko:

Looks good. I like your idea with the intakes, and if I'm courageous enough - when I do mine - I may attempt that!

thanks, i think u should try it out, its not as hard as it may seem to be, u just need a drill bit, some jewelery file or reamers and sand papers.....try it out on an unused plain resin block....when u r confident enough, go for it....at least that's what i did b4 starting on the real resin kit....just my 20 yen worth of suggestion B))

I agree! The intakes look better than even those of the Yamato figs, and actually look like real intakes instead of just fixed turbines carved onto a black-painted square.

Top marks!

I hope this isn't considered hijacking the thread (a thousand apologies if it is), but I've always hoped that Yamato would someday manufacture a 1/60 scale full transformation VF-2SS, despite the nigh impossible odds. I realize the anime got some pretty bad reception after its release, and was further damned by the fact that Kawamori never participated in it, but at the end of the day, the VF-2SS still has enough fans of its design to warrant at least a limited release.

thanks, i sincerely don't think this is hijacking, even if it is hijacking i won't mind as long as the topic is on macross.... ^_^

some updates....

DSC01756.jpg

detailing the legs....notice that the panel lining isn't that sharp, unsymmetrical and look almost like handrawn....hmmmmm

DSC01739.jpg

i start by tracing the panel lines onto cheap masking tape

DSC01757.jpg

then, transfer the masking tape onto a soft plastic sheet so that later on it would be easier to glue and to conform the plastic sheet onto the convex surface

DSC01763.jpg

glued and primed

DSC01764.jpg

some closeup detail

DSC01766.jpg

details added with photo etch part taken from my vf-1d hasegawa kit set

DSC01767.jpg

detail taken from the same photo etching parts

DSC01769.jpg

photo etching sprue from hase vf-1d plastic kit

DSC01759.jpg

overall main fuselage primed with some minor custom panel lines

DSC01760.jpg

Keep up the good work man..

Quick question is there a difference between the following kits? Both are original but different color for some reason, one is white and one is resin color ish.

ma_kun_ja-img600x400-1266655799jpchmz88014.jpg

ma_kun_ja-img600x400-1266655910nhh1zi83763.jpg

I believe they are the same. Both look like the Musasiya VF-2SS kit. Thats really then only 1/72 VF-2SS fighter kit thats available. The others are normally recasts of the original. I would guess one is either a rescast, or Musa used 2 different resins. My original and my recast are both tan I believe.

Wow, I can't believe I've just seen this thread. I was just about to paint up my next VF-2SS in.. this scheme! I thought it would look good sitting next to this one. However I'm going to have to think again now. I would rather see someone else do it. Kind of weird, but it leaves me more room for customising now. :lol:

I really like what you've done with the extra customising. You're right about the panel-lining on this kit - it's just badly done on the legs. Your extra panels and detailing look fantastic, and I can't wait to see this bird finalised.

How did you conform the plastic sheeting onto the legs?

Once again, great work! B))

I have a Sylvie Gena in officer suit, but I dont' think they ever made one in flight suit

Thanks Kicker! I think I remember seeing that kit before, but I sure wish someone would make Sylvie in her flight suit with Helmet. I'd buy that in a heartbeat to go with my VF-2SS kit! B))

Thanks Kicker! I think I remember seeing that kit before, but I sure wish someone would make Sylvie in her flight suit with Helmet. I'd buy that in a heartbeat to go with my VF-2SS kit! B))

I love Sylvie... I would sculpt her but then there would only be one person to support the project... lol.

I love Sylvie... I would sculpt her but then there would only be one person to support the project... lol.

Well I wouldn't say one person.... I'd like a Sylvie Gina in Flight Uniform with Helmet. Heck, I'd like a high detail 1/48 VF 2SS with armor pack.

• 1 month later...

some progress, painted red, black n white....decaled, and oil washed.....plus a layer of mr.hobby flat clear can spray....

DSC01865.jpg

DSC01866.jpg

DSC01867.jpg

DSC01869.jpg

DSC01870.jpg

DSC01868.jpg

next wud be the weathering....pilot, display stand.....hmmmmm....a lot more to go :)

Edited by shinagami

Hey, Amuro Ray flies this one?!??? ;)

Glad I'm not a huge Gundam fan, or I'd understand that joke. Oh wait...

...no seriously, the Gundam decals are a fantastic resource for any scifi modeler. I use them on all sorts of things - even some Star Wars stuff!

Really looking forwards to seeing this build assembled too!

Hey, Amuro Ray flies this one?!??? ;)

Glad I'm not a huge Gundam fan, or I'd understand that joke. Oh wait...

...no seriously, the Gundam decals are a fantastic resource for any scifi modeler. I use them on all sorts of things - even some Star Wars stuff!

Really looking forwards to seeing this build assembled too!

LOL! So true... these VF-2s builds are awesome! Looking forward to the completed kits! :)

• 6 months later...