Prometheus - on Blu-Ray and DVD Oct. 9, 2012

The negative reviews are from people that loved Alien, and expected another slow film with building glimpses of tension to build the story. That's where those fanboys fail. They're so stuck in what they wanted to see repeated from a seventies film.

Prometheus was always going to be a diffirent film. A modern re-invention of Alien. The expected sequel, as stated by Ridley, will further deviate from Alien.

Again no ways this is the intended prequel, besides the advance tech, too much happens in Prometheus to never be heard again in the four Alien films.

No. it's not a reinvention. It still takes place in the same universe

They explicitly state in the movie that there are *many* other ships. Alien and her sequels follows one weapon and Prometheus and its sequels will follow this story. One doesn't negate the other.

As for the tech. Well, one is a high end, luxury science vessel carrying the CEO and the CEO's daughter of one of the biggest corporations in humanity and one is a mining and salvage ship crewed by blue collar schlubs. you figure it out.

Prometheus was always going to be a diffirent film. A modern re-invention of Alien. The expected sequel, as stated by Ridley, will further deviate from Alien.

Again no ways this is the intended prequel, besides the advance tech, too much happens in Prometheus to never be heard again in the four Alien films.

And I agree with you on that premise. If this film had primarily used its own plot devices, story elements and only so vaguely refered to Alien then Prometheus would have succeeded in that respect. A perfect example of this would be in (please forgive my blasphemy) Predator 2, when an interior shot of the ship revealed an Alien skull that was shown for 2 seconds. This way, Predator 2 was just a slight nod or acknowledgement to the Alien universe and the upcoming AvP franchise-there's no guarantees or promises of anything in that fleeting shot. Rather, with Prometheus I see a derivative film that claims to be its own story but in my humble opinion is not so because it takes too much from the movie it isn't supposed to be. And again, let me drive home that the final scene before the credits solidifies Prometheus' ties to the Alien legacy. I just "might" be able to forgive everything else

even the inclusion of the "Weyland" corporation

, if it wasn't for that final scene. Nix the final scene and IMO Prometheus would stand stronger on its own.

Now, I could definitely see the sequel doing exactly what Prometheus was supposed to have done. With what's her face ripping off the whatever you call it and then flying off into who knows where then I could easily see a story that has even less to do with the Alien legacy...

Again, I'm not saying that I didn't like the film; I enjoyed it, recommend anyone that's into sci-fi to go see it, and I'll most certainly be watching it again...

Edited by myk

Alternative universe.

who gives a sh*t. you still forked out the cash for a ticket (right?) that's the bottom line that will make the next movie, not people's wants or opinions. :D

The negative reviews are from people that loved Alien, and expected another slow film with building glimpses of tension to build the story. That's where those fanboys fail. They're so stuck in what they wanted to see repeated from a seventies film.

Mind you I haven't seen Prometheus yet, but from what I've been reading, this may very well explain a bit from the Alien/Aliens "ONLY" canon. For starters, the supposed "distress signal" in the original film, as well as the necessity for space marines in Aliens. With a bit more gap filling, it could be construed that space marines downed the Space Jockey ship from Alien, but weren't able to land/persue it, hence the need to divert the Nostromo to pick up samples for the company. As for the level of technology, I'm actually totally willing to buy using stripped down bare bones tech for mining missions & what not, while the exec's get the suped up rides.

As for the level of technology, I'm actually totally willing to buy using stripped down bare bones tech for mining missions & what not, while the exec's get the suped up rides.

I don't think it even needs to go that far. I think you cited "Original" vs "New" trilogy in Star Wars while I cited Star Trek as another example as to why things looked newer in the past than in the present: they didn't have the money and the know-how to design all that stuff for the sets in the 70's...

Edited by myk

Funny thing is a lot of people are trying to decide if they liked the movie or not. Could this have something to do with the intended ambivelance of the movie as a prequel to Alien or not? I would guess so, but just like you said, based on the events of the film itself, especially with that final scene, this IS an Alien prequel if I ever saw one. It's possible that because of the duality of the movie it fails to deliver as its own unique sci-fi story and it equally fails at being a proper Alien prequel..

Nope, for me it has to do with whether or not this was a GOOD movie. Like a lot of people I thought it was a beautiful looking movie, and I saw it in 3D. It looks great, but the story, plot and *cough* characters left me a little underwhelmed.

I really want to like the film because I like Ridley Scott and I'm stoked that a decision was made to not only try and explain some things from the Aliens franchise but to also, or more importantly, expand upon it. Especially after the cluster frakks that the AvP films have been. And like it or not they've built upon Alien cannon as well.

But back to Prometheus, it probably should have been longer to really flesh out the characters and plot.

Alternative universe.

And. No. Just stop. This in no way is some alternative universe, reboot or other foolishness.

Most people's opinion of the film have nothing to do with fanboy or girl love for Alien or Aliens. The movie just was a little underwhelming.

-b.

*edit to get the quote tags right

Edited by Kanedas Bike

I'd like to

Nope, for me it has to do with whether or not this was a GOOD movie. Like a lot of people I thought it was a beautiful looking movie, and I saw it in 3D. It looks great, but the story, plot and *cough* characters left me a little underwhelmed.

Understood, and I have to agree with you on your assessment of the movie.

Now, I'm going to play devil's advocate here and look at this from the "non-prequel" or "different ship" point of view.

I'm ashamed to admit that I can't recall the space jockey in Alien having a hole in his chest; did he? Because if he did, then that would be a glaring continuity error in that the space jockey that fights Noomi in the end of Prometheus didn't meet his end in that chair on board the ship. It would be very easy to say that the Prometheus crew encountered merely another ship that belonged to the space jockey race that was coincidentally dealing with the Alien species as well...

Edited by myk

Yes he did have a hole in chest in Alien. Several characters comment on his ribs being bent outwards.

Hmmm......well in that case it can be said that's definitive proof that Prometheus ISN'T a prequel, and that the crew merely encountered another space jockey ship dealing with Xenomorphs. What do you guys say? I mean we could just write this off to bad writing and continuity errors-Lord knows Star Wars is overflowing with them but we accept it anyway....

Hmmm......well in that case it can be said that's definitive proof that Prometheus ISN'T a prequel, and that the crew merely encountered another space jockey ship dealing with Xenomorphs. What do you guys say? I mean we could just write this off to bad writing and continuity errors-Lord knows Star Wars is overflowing with them but we accept it anyway....

Not at all.

Remember at the end it was established that there were multiple ships, meaning the storytellers were telling us that this particular Space Jockey ship wasn't the one in Alien or Aliens. That and at the very, very end you see the first "Alien" being born. So there are additional events that lead up the events on LV-426, and entirely different planet than Prometheus takes place on.

That said there are more gaps between Prometheus and Alien and I'm sure Ridley was thinking expanded universe and the studio was thinking "sweet, more sequels/cash".

-b.

That said there are more gaps between Prometheus and Alien and I'm sure Ridley was thinking expanded universe and the studio was thinking "sweet, more sequels/cash".

-b.

You know I think that says it best, right there. I also noticed the different designations of the planets and thought of that as further evidence against arguments supporting this movie as a prequel.

Alternate reality, reboot, prequel, whatever you want to call it, and whatever it was intended to be...

What it is, ultimately, is a so-so movie. And that is far more important than any connection it may or may not have.

I could write some about how it was far too derivitive of Alien, or how the characters were anything but characters, or plot foolishness, but it isn't worth the time. Besides, others here have covered those bases already.

I went in with low expectations, and they were met.

I thought the best part of the movie were the lines dropped from other sources (alien, aliens, lawrence of arabia), and that isn't a good sign.

Edited by Phyrox

name='Kanedas Bike' timestamp='1339223480' post='977682']

Not at all.

...and at the very, very end you see the first "Alien" being bornt. So there are additional events that lead up the events on LV-426, and entirely different planet than Prometheus takes place on.

I wouldn't consider that alien as the "first alien", I just saw it as a different kind of alien species. The black goo seems to mutate or kill things randomly. Gotta watch it again to see if Holloway was mutating or falling apart.

...what the hell did David say to the jockey??? When the Jockey woke up, he wasn't surprised at all to see humans, he looked like he was stretching and when Noomi started yelling at him, then he seemed confused until David talked to him...I don't think it was "how do you live forever? or anything like that". He was arrogant and already alluded to killing his parents....then the jockey goes into a-holemode.

Kanedas bike

There's no need to come across as emotional by stating to me "just stop". At the end your "opinion" has as much value as everyone else's "opinion".

Secondly please read a person's entire string of comments before half replying to them. I based my view on what Ridley Scott said, that the expected sequel to Prometheus will further deviate it from Alien. Both from the same Universe, both on different sequence of events. For starters Prometheus lands on Lv223, and the ending heads off to a new unexplored possibility. Evantaully this "might" lead to Alien remade for an alternative universe?

Also the Nostromo isn't a mining vessel, it's a towing ship.

Finally yes, most of the negative reviews are from fanboys, as they mention and compare Prometheus to their praised Alien. Enough proof there.

And while most of these critics are saying Prometheus doesn't set a bar like Alien did, I'm asking what bar? Aside from Giger's vision, Alien is structured off a teen hacker slash film, but set in space with the teens replaced by adults, and a guy in a rubber suit doing what the physchopath with a knife does, kill. Great during it's time when anything neatly directed set a bar in a industry that was still developing standards.

In my view Prometheus has its flaws, like every other film, but it was never meant to be a slow horror or a first person shooter spree. It's about the driving relantionship between Shaw and David, which highlights humanity's need to know and create, while conflicted by personal perspectives just like the Engineers that created us. That is the story.

Peace and later.

Edited by Omegablue

I saw it and really enjoyed it. It's a good film, not a great film. In many ways, I think it exemplifies Ridley's strengths and weaknesses as a film maker. Impressive visual style and attention to detail, always his greatest strength. Some interesting ideas that could be viewed as either not fully covered or deliberately open ended (depends on the viewer's point of view, I think). Finally, an unfortunate lack of character development, which has always been a pitfall Ridley falls into, saved occasionally by strong character actors or deft writing.

Even though I'm a huge Alien fan, I went in without expectations on what it would be or not be. I wasn't disappointed by the tie-in moments. In my opinion, there aren't any "continuity problems".

There's obviously an expectation people had that at the end we'd know exactly how that one ship ended up on LV-426 and where the aliens came from, and instead we got a vague idea. We know the engineers (kinda like that more than "space jockeys") created bioweapons of mass destruction. We know that ships like the one seen in Alien carried them. We've seen similarities in shape and character in the weapons on LV-223 to those that were encountered on LV-426. Finally, from the evidence we see, they didn't have a ton of control over those weapons, and were freaked out about them too. That's about it. The rest is, so far, left to our imagination. My own thoughts are along the lines that the ship on LV-426 was carrying a different make or model of bioweapon, and that the pilot of the ship got exposed and succumbed before the payload could be delivered, resulting in the LV-426 derelict. Maybe he knew he was doomed, but tried to rush the payload to target anyway. Who knows? Given the state of that pilot, it happened centuries before Prometheus ever landed on LV-223. I've read half-baked theories trying to directly link the events in Prometheus with those in Alien, like some sort of evolution or continued transformation of the organism over the next 30 years followed by some sort of transport that put them on LV-426, but they all seem really forced. I've also been in industry too long to have any concerns about this "old vs new" tech thing either. Anyone who thinks that's something out of place is woefully ignorant about the world around them in the here and now. There are 50 and 60 year old pieces of equipment still in service all over the American power grid, and it can take more than 10 years before technology finds its way into that infrastructure. It makes total sense to me that the Nostromo could have been old by the time Prometheus flew, and that Prometheus may have been at least 10 years ahead of anything else in service.

Girlfriend and I saw it lastnight....

<p>So it's obviously not the same space jokey from the alien film. Although there will very similar circumstances. But if you look at how Prometheus lands on LV....223(?) THAT should be clue number 1 that this isn't the same planet. Number 2, timeline errors. Prometheus takes place in 2090's and the Nostromos finds the beacon on LV426 by 2122. The space jokey is dead and torn to pieces by it's alien counter part inside the life boat not in his own ship.

I gotta say as a movie in on it's self it doesn't disappoint just like the old Dark Horse comics. BUT if you go in thinking this will directly lead to ALIEN, you're gonna have a bad time. <br></p>

other than that yeah, wasn't a bad film.

Kanedas bike

*snip*

Shrugs.

Not emotional at all, I just don't agree with what you've said or your opinion of the movie and it's intent or your opinion of those that didn't have an overwhelmingly positive view of it (Prometheus).

A modern reinvention of Alien? Why? Because some review/reviewers want to invariably draw comparisons because Alien and Prometheus share the same director and similar plot devices (human ship lands on alien world, encounters scary alien, people die). Just think about it why would you want to use those opinions to further your assertion that Prometheus = remake = alternate universe?

BUT if you want to believe that, then knock yourself out, but don't try to pass off your opinions as facts when they don't reconcile with what the director, writers, studio, major news outlets and average fans know and understand. This is a prequel, in that it takes place in-universe with Alien and Aliens before said stories transpire as well as helping to flesh out small parts of what happened/what was shown in Alien.

Hell just say "I wish this was an alternate timeline or reboot" and keep it moving - but don't try to make it so or make others see it that way just because it fits your sensibilities.

And if additional movies are made and if they take the story further away from what transpired in older movies in the series (Alien thru Alien Resurrection) then so be it, but it doesn't make this alternate universe, it just makes them their own stand-alone stories.

And I love how you ignored the person that replied directly to you by saying "who gives a sh!t" to one of your posts but tried to make me the target of your angst. :rolleyes:

Emotional. LOL

-b.

Also if your last name happens to be Weyland and you appear in any movie with an "Alien", "Predator" or something not of this world. You're gonna die, it's damn near an unwritten rule at this point.

*edit to add spoiler tag

Edited by Kanedas Bike

I'll just leave this here :

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

I did leave the cinema thinking along the same lines as thus guy and I agree with the motifs, but where he finishes his entry with increasing sentiments of 'meh' - I enjoyed it and enjoy it more the more I think about it. Can't wait to see it again.

I can't believe how many ppl keep harping on about how it's the same planet and same ship. It isn't.

Repeat: it is not.

Even before the film came out (nevermind a cinema screen sized map at the start of the film clearly says it is not LV-426) it was posted all over the net that it was a different planet.

...Nothing here but good times and loose morals

and even better example, in real world terms? When i was in the Navy, for 20 years i worked on Aviation Support Equipment. Equipment that ranged in age from as little as 2 years old (the new SFC's that replaced MMG-1A's) to as much as 30, 40 years. Example of extreme age: A/S32-A31B sea-based Aircraft Towing Tractors, the frame itself being from just around the begining of the Vietnam War, upgraded at least 3 times and only now looking at finally being replaced.

Also note: Farting isnt funny. Unless your 2 or 10 and at a sleep-over. farting at midnight then seems hillarious...

true that. i was mostly mooking the silly drama going on. still doesnt matter. story could be crap but if it makes enough profit then we'll likely see another film to continue the questions and profits... Edited by TehPW

Girlfriend and I saw it lastnight....

<p>So it's obviously not the same space jokey from the alien film. Although there will very similar circumstances. But if you look at how Prometheus lands on LV....223(?) THAT should be clue number 1 that this isn't the same planet. Number 2, timeline errors. Prometheus takes place in 2090's and the Nostromos finds the beacon on LV426 by 2122. The space jokey is dead and torn to pieces by it's alien counter part inside the life boat not in his own ship.

I gotta say as a movie in on it's self it doesn't disappoint just like the old Dark Horse comics. BUT if you go in thinking this will directly lead to ALIEN, you're gonna have a bad time. <br></p>

other than that yeah, wasn't a bad film.

Ah, okay. That makes sense. So it could be said this is R. Scott's attempt at expounding on where space jockeys may have come from--and not the space jockey [that Ripley et al find on LV-426]. Same universe, different places/people/events. Not a direct prequel. Got it. Sounds like it's still a big ol' bucket of disappoint, though, from some of the comments/reviews.

Edited by reddsun1

The Engineers are also known as the Colonists. They developed the black slime/black oil that would change/destroy life and create anew. They were collaborating with the Syndicate until Fox Mulder found out their plans. How's that for a tie-in?

Like Isamu says, 'How do you know if you don't try yourself?' :p

i thought he said 'a 100 travel books don't equal a single trip'... ? *smiggles*

Saw it this evening and enjoyed it quite a bit. While it wasn't a perfect film I think that Prometheus is a fine way to kick off a new chapter for the Alien universe. It tackles a whole different set of things than Alien in terms of the creatures themselves.

I felt like prior to this movie, Fox had really run this series into the dirt and I'm more forgiving than some. I adamantly believe that Alien 3 is a good film, especially the director's cut. I even think Resurrection isn't bad until that...white thing is born, than it's alllll down hill.

Despite liking the first AVP, it sort of heralded the end for the Alien franchise as we knew, and AVP2 was utter trash.

So I really feel like Prometheus was the best way to revisit that universe. I think it would benefit from a lengthier director's cut and definitely needs a sequel or two to really start answering some of the questions that the first film gives us. It's a good start, and I hope Scott has a vision for a larger story and is allowed to do it.

Also as other people have said, visually the movie is beautiful even in standard 2D.

I'll just leave this here :

http://cavalorn.live...135.html#cutid1

I did leave the cinema thinking along the same lines as thus guy and I agree with the motifs, but where he finishes his entry with increasing sentiments of 'meh' - I enjoyed it and enjoy it more the more I think about it. Can't wait to see it again.

I can't believe how many ppl keep harping on about how it's the same planet and same ship. It isn't.

Repeat: it is not.

Even before the film came out (nevermind a cinema screen sized map at the start of the film clearly says it is not LV-426) it was posted all over the net that it was a different planet.

The article you posted was pretty interesting, hopefully the story is able to continue and we get definitive answers to a lot of the questions created by the movie.

This for me would help to alleviate some of the plot/pacing/character development issues that have made me rather 'meh' on a film I very much wanted to enjoy more.

-b.

I just saw the movie a couple of hours ago. I had steadfastly avoided reviews, PR, interviews etc, so as not to colour expectations.

It was AWESOME.

Thanks again Mr Scott. It's been too long since you've done SF.

Could have done without the final scene though.

I like how this movies only been out in the US for less than 48 hours and people have already stopped giving a crap about spoilers. ;)

Edited by anime52k8

Man I stopped reading this thread a while back and I stopped reading, watching or hearing anything about so I can get a full personal experience when I do see it. My excitement was at full force by the time I sat down.

Just came back from watching the film and have to say that I'm a tad disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the film is a stunning visual experience, but I guess my expectations were too high (Ridley Scott, Sci-fi, tie in with Alien etc) and I expected more. The acting was unexpectedly bland with the exception of Fassbender who is wonderful in his role. And I felt the music distracted from the film instead of improving it. Not too mention that I thought some of the character interactions were a bit ridiculous. Looking forward to more people seeing it so we can discuss details soon. All I can say in relation to Macross though is

that the Engineers are indeed the "protoculture" and that mankind does descend from them. And curiously enough they were also developing other life forms to use as weapons and it turned on them. Just love the symmetry.

I agree here.

First of all, the movie is Freakin Gorgeous! Everything in frame is just perfect.

But I feel like the writing is more confused than the audience was about this being a direct prequel or not. Either that or they waste too much time teasing the audience with the "Oh this is it!" moment that ties it with the first movie and then decide to, not change it, they tack on unnecessary moments that make people believe that they were wrong to believe it. But those moments added don't make any sense at all. For example:

MAJOR SPOILER:

The Space Jockey pilot is sitting and your thinking, so this is the one from the first movie... but it's not, because he leaves his seat to exact revenge on who he decides is the bane of his existence, Dr.Elizabeth Shaw!

BTW... this is the scene just before the jockey finds Elizabeth...

The space jockey is piloting the alien ship towards earth for annhilation of the planet, yet he notices Elizabeth running on the ground towards the eject capsule... wait, how did he even notice the eject capsule in the first place? It's the equivalent of a pilot getting ready to take off in a 747 and noticing that a baggage handler drops a toothbrush out of a suitcase. The ship hurdles uncontrollably towards the 2 living beings on an otherwise barren planet.

Also. when are people going to learn that you cant outrun a big object rolling down a mountain running forward. Finally Shaw decides to move sideways and lives while Charlize decides to stay still ala Austin Powers in front of the steamroller.

Another scene that didn't make sense... when 2 very scared scientists are on an unexplored planet filled with unknown creatures, is it believable that they would try to handle something that looks like a very angry, very strong cobra snake? I mean this thing looked just like a cobra, even with the flattening cowl. And the guy that was trying to handle it was Mr. frakk this crap! just minutes ago.

As beutiful as this movie was the writing was just all over the place.

The 3D was great but again, I don't like it... the colors get muted and when there is a great 3D sequence, it pulls you out of the story because you're too busy thinking how cool the 3D is. But Ridley Scott really used it in a way I've never seen before. The dream sequence with the digital aura was amazing and the space map, which seemed pretty close to the Iron Man Exhibition Park sequence, was just glorious. No spoilers here... you just have to see it if you like seeing movies in 3D.

I saw the movie yesterday. While I enjoyed the movie and liked it...it left me wanting more and, to some degree, somewhat disappointed. If this turns out to be a standalone movie, with no sequels, then I think I will become more disappointed.