Prometheus - on Blu-Ray and DVD Oct. 9, 2012

I still find the space suits pretty funny looking. tight, rubbery wetsuits with florecent orange piping and a great big yellow fishbowl for a helmet. doesn't strike me as practical or cool.

Edited by anime52k8

that's nice, but has nothing to do with ugly colored wetsuits and wearing a fishbowl on your head.

Basically spacesuits as they are now are bulky due to the fact that they need to keep the air inside pressurized. What this does is make the spacesuit hard to move around in or manipulate things with the hands. What Dava Newman has done is create a suit that applies pressure to the skin directly instead of the air. The result is a skin-tight spandex looking suit that allows for a full range of mobility. Its obvious the designers took this idea and ran with it. Ridley Scott himself said he was going to take a very realistic look with space travel on this film and use concepts that are just on the horizon. It wouldn't surprise me if he saw the same NOVA episode I did or read about Dava Newman's bio-suit in a tech journal.

The landing clip certainly feels like a real Alien movie. Atmosphere is all there, characters seem nice and appropriately low key/bad ass. CG'd Prometheus ocassionally gives me the a little TOO smooth/fake/not heavy enough feeling inherent in CG but looks like they have used all real sets and possibly some models for some shots of the Prometheus too. Good signs.

edited for grammar

Edited by Bounty Hunter

I still find the space suits pretty funny looking. tight, rubbery wetsuits with florecent orange piping and a great big yellow fishbowl for a helmet. doesn't strike me as practical or cool.

spoken like a civilian without a clue, LOL :blink: . PPE isn't supposed to be sexy, its supposed to be Personal Protective Equipment..... Though some safety glasses made to Z-85 (sp?) specs ARE sexy looking safety glasses... :p

So i'll assume that, in the end, our beloved zenomorphs are derived from a unholy union of Squidward Tenticles and Space Jockey? Now the question begs: is/are the folks that met the tri-head snake and get attacked the Squidward tenticlez or the Space Jockies? If former, how do some of our humans become the space jockies (if they do at all. it could be the space jockies ARE a separate species and the humans are feeder material for the squids...)

yeah, hentai. If i brought my littlest one (who loves the hell outta Spongbob) to see this, he would sh*t through the earth in fear... :lol:

Basically spacesuits as they are now are bulky due to the fact that they need to keep the air inside pressurized. What this does is make the spacesuit hard to move around in or manipulate things with the hands. What Dava Newman has done is create a suit that applies pressure to the skin directly instead of the air. The result is a skin-tight spandex looking suit that allows for a full range of mobility. Its obvious the designers took this idea and ran with it. Ridley Scott himself said he was going to take a very realistic look with space travel on this film and use concepts that are just on the horizon. It wouldn't surprise me if he saw the same NOVA episode I did or read about Dava Newman's bio-suit in a tech journal.

spoken like a civilian without a clue, LOL :blink: . PPE isn't supposed to be sexy, its supposed to be Personal Protective Equipment.....

And all this misses the point that the soft body-suit portion of the "space suit" looks like a rejected design for a live action Spiderman 2099 costume. The suit doesn't LOOK like a practical, functional piece of space equipment at all; and it doesn't get a pass for rule-of-cool either because it doesn't LOOK cool, it looks like a bad superhero suit.

So riddle me this: If it is some sort of advanced-material pressure suit, what purpose does all the florescent orange piping serve? Why does it need hard platting on the back of the hands like a medieval gantlet and basically nowhere else? If the goal of the suit is to be lighter and allow greater mobility than modern suits, why is the helmet a comically over-sized fishbowl. And if everything about the suit design is necessary/practical in some way, why is it that only Theron and Rapace's costumes like that? Everyone else (male and female) are wearing fitted blue under-suits made of non-stretchy fabric with hard plates all over.

Also, if this movie is meant to take place in the same setting as the alien movies, and is set 30 years before the original Alien, why is the tech level so much higher in this film? They've got light weight, fitted space suits in the 2090's but three decades later the Nostromo crew still has big bulky suits with clunky backpacks and lots of padding. Then there's all the fact that everything on Prometheus is touch screens and holographic projections when even by the time of Aliens (which was 57 years after the first film) they're still using single color CRT's and Command-line interface computers.

And all this misses the point that the soft body-suit portion of the "space suit" looks like a rejected design for a live action Spiderman 2099 costume. The suit doesn't LOOK like a practical, functional piece of space equipment at all; and it doesn't get a pass for rule-of-cool either because it doesn't LOOK cool, it looks like a bad superhero suit.

So riddle me this: If it is some sort of advanced-material pressure suit, what purpose does all the florescent orange piping serve? Why does it need hard platting on the back of the hands like a medieval gantlet and basically nowhere else? If the goal of the suit is to be lighter and allow greater mobility than modern suits, why is the helmet a comically over-sized fishbowl. And if everything about the suit design is necessary/practical in some way, why is it that only Theron and Rapace's costumes like that? Everyone else (male and female) are wearing fitted blue under-suits made of non-stretchy fabric with hard plates all over.

Also, if this movie is meant to take place in the same setting as the alien movies, and is set 30 years before the original Alien, why is the tech level so much higher in this film? They've got light weight, fitted space suits in the 2090's but three decades later the Nostromo crew still has big bulky suits with clunky backpacks and lots of padding. Then there's all the fact that everything on Prometheus is touch screens and holographic projections when even by the time of Aliens (which was 57 years after the first film) they're still using single color CRT's and Command-line interface computers.

original.jpg

Were you expecting the helmet to be significantly smaller? That would seem pretty unrealistic and impractical to me. As for the florescent orange piping...the only orange I see is on her suit and it's probably for aesthetic reasons. They probably have more of a luxury when it comes to designing suits.

here.jpg

Are you talking about the florescent lighting in the suits perhaps?

As for the technology differences. I'm sure if Ridley Scott and Co. had more advanced computers, back in the 70's, to handle the CGI then the Nostromo would have looked more advance than it does now. Compare any Sci-Fi movie from the 70's to today's Sci-Fi movies...the technology used is drastically different. Come on now....

Edited by Oihan

Were you expecting the helmet to be significantly smaller? That would seem pretty unrealistic and impractical to me. As for the florescent orange piping...the only orange I see is on her suit and it's probably for aesthetic reasons. They probably have more of a luxury when it comes to designing suits.

yes, I'm talking about the orange piping that only shows up on her's and Theron's suits. it looks more subdued in that picture because it's dirty and the lighting is dull, but in promo shots of the clean suits under proper lighting it's bright florescent orange:

Prometheus-03_610.jpg

To me, it looks garish and ugly and clearly it serves no purpose other than to be flashy because nobody else has it but them. similarly, the skin-tight neoprene is clearly unnecessary as only 2 out of 6 suits seen so far actually use it.

As for the helmet, they probably could have made it a little smaller, but the main problem is that it's a big glass bubble. The fact that it's completely clear accentuates just how large and bulbous it is around their heads. if they made the back half from an opaque material it would have looked a bit better.

Of course, if they had used an articulated neck piece instead of plugging the dome directly to their chest harness, they could have made it a lot smaller and sleeker (which would have matched with the look of the rest of the suit). they should have used something like this:

http://rusty001.devi...elmet-178929653

Edited by anime52k8

yes, I'm talking about the orange piping that only shows up on her's and Theron's suits. it looks more subdued in that picture because it's dirty and the lighting is dull, but in promo shots of the clean suits under proper lighting it's bright florescent orange:

Prometheus-03_610.jpg

suit-real.png

Dava Newman's prototype biosuit. Would you prefer they kept the original "green tinted fishbowl"? A variant of the biosuit even has a clear version closer to the prometheus film. As for the piping its part of the pressure control system the prototype originally had red. Why is it orange for Noomi and charlize's characters? Rank maybe? They are the ones leading this mission after all. It is clear all the suits have the piping though.

Edit: website for the biosuit prototype http://mvl.mit.edu/EVA/biosuit/index.html

Edited by renegadeleader1

My brief input:

Bubblehead: easily standardized & maintained, great visibility. +

Orange piping: maybe temp regulation, but it looks awful in promo shots. Barely noticeable in post-production. Pass

Clunky gloves: look ridiculous without being attached to heftier arms. -

Overall, it's a decent mix of functional & retro. I would've liked bigger suits like the Nostromo's though.

(null)

To me, it looks garish and ugly and clearly it serves no purpose other than to be flashy because nobody else has it but them. similarly, the skin-tight neoprene is clearly unnecessary as only 2 out of 6 suits seen so far actually use it.

As for the helmet, they probably could have made it a little smaller, but the main problem is that it's a big glass bubble. The fact that it's completely clear accentuates just how large and bulbous it is around their heads. if they made the back half from an opaque material it would have looked a bit better.

Dude! Tight spandex is to show off the actresses' assets! Unnecessary orange greebles are necessary - to help the viewer identify the two main characters in long shots.

Fishbowl helmets are so we can clearly see the actors' heads. It's also great for over the shoulder reaction shots of something approaching from behind.

Now, aforementioned film-making decisions aside, I do feel the complaints that the suits and technology (touch screens et al) being out of step with "Alien" and "Aliens" are valid. However, didn't Ridley Scott indicate that it's not a direct prequel of "Alien"? That, in my book, does give some leeway in technology.

Though, this does raise an interesting question: if the use of traditional key pads et al in "Prometheus" is perceived as unrealistic due to saturation of touch screens in the RL, would the use of touch screens in "Alien" have been perceived as equally unrealistic simply because that technology wasn't commercially available until 1983 and not widely available until the '90's?

Edited by sketchley

Dava Newman's prototype biosuit. Would you prefer they kept the original "green tinted fishbowl"? A variant of the biosuit even has a clear version closer to the prometheus film. As for the piping its part of the pressure control system the prototype originally had red. Why is it orange for Noomi and charlize's characters? Rank maybe? They are the ones leading this mission after all. It is clear all the suits have the piping though.

well, I've already given my thoughts on the helmet design (good reading comprehension on your part by the way). As for the NASA design you love to trot out every 5 seconds, for one the piping (which is black on the pictures you posted BTW) are more numerous, thinner and part of the fabric suit rather than stitched on top of it. of course the NASA suit isn't stretchy, skin tight neoprene.

the bottom line is that the suits that Fassbender and the rest of the cast are wearing look decently like realistic suits, and then two cast members have unique suits that look doofy, impractical and have no logical reason to be different from the others. The only reason they are the way they are is so they can fit a few extra ass shots into the movie, which is a pretty crap reason to do it when you're expecting your movie to be taken seriously.

Absolutely! Amidst the interstellar travel, alien engineers, suspended animation, and vicious, evil tentacle whatever-that-is, it's curve-enhancing spacesuits that will totally prevent me from taking the movie seriously.

I mean really, what kind of fools do costume designers take us for? Yeesh...

Absolutely! Amidst the interstellar travel, alien engineers, suspended animation, and vicious, evil tentacle whatever-that-is, it's curve-enhancing spacesuits that will totally prevent me from taking the movie seriously.

Ha ha. I agree with all of the above.

well, I've already given my thoughts on the helmet design (good reading comprehension on your part by the way). As for the NASA design you love to trot out every 5 seconds, for one the piping (which is black on the pictures you posted BTW) are more numerous, thinner and part of the fabric suit rather than stitched on top of it. of course the NASA suit isn't stretchy, skin tight neoprene.

the bottom line is that the suits that Fassbender and the rest of the cast are wearing look decently like realistic suits, and then two cast members have unique suits that look doofy, impractical and have no logical reason to be different from the others. The only reason they are the way they are is so they can fit a few extra ass shots into the movie, which is a pretty crap reason to do it when you're expecting your movie to be taken seriously.

Why the hostility bro? Maybe you need to brush up on reading comprehension too, and and visual comprehension too while you are at it(yellow fishbowl really?). Not once did I claim the posted photos had red piping. Just that the original prototype did.

1370683351.jpg

You claimed that the suits in the film didn't strike you as practical or cool, while cool is subjective I wanted to show you that NASA and MIT are developing something very similar. If a spacesuit that's formfitting and allows for a full range of motion isn't practical, I don't know what is.

As for it not looking exactly like the movies version? Who knows what another 60+ years of development may bring. Keep in mind this suit is still a prototype and isn't ready yet(not likely untill 2016).

Anyways what's really interesting is the pictures Oihan posted above. The top one the piping on Noomi's is orange but bottom close up shows it clearly as blue instead. Maybe its adjustable pressure, or like its been stated above its a temperture thing.

>snip<

whatever dude, I don't really give a crap anymore.

bottom line is that it's blatant pandering and no matter how you try to spin it that will always be the case. If that's what you're into, I'm not one to judge but personally I don't care for it.

if im paying $7.50 for me & the misses, i want as much pain, gore and lovely asset shots as required.

as for all the bitching about differences between Alien, Aliens & Prometheus? You assume that the tech aboard the Sulaco, the Norstromo & Prometheus should be the same or even simular? different vendors, different owners, different safety standards... to me, in how i see things around me, my experiances, the differences WOULD exist in the Zenomorph universe.

think about it. The Sulaco could have been built at Newport News, VA; the Promethues build in Silcon Valley and the Nostromo? at LTV steel in Lorain, Ohio... maybe the muffler shop down the street. ya'll really bitching about NOTHING, just being anxious for the film to be out... like me?

really, you make people think your a troll, sir. behave. NOW. No, not you Penpen...

Edited by TehPW

C'mon man that's the Macrossworld way: weeks, months, even years before the release of an anime, movie, or toy there are pages and endless threads about the sky falling, Mayan calendar, end of the world type of talk. Regardless, it looks like we're going to get some tentacle violation type stuff going on and if Noomi and Charlize are possible victims I'm all for this movie...

The Nostromo was a mining tug. The Prometheus is a dedicated research vessel which is probably ridiculously well-funded. It seems to me like the type of equipment between a mining tug and a research vessel is probably going to differ drastically in quality, even if there is a time gap between the two.

The Nostromo was a mining tug. The Prometheus is a dedicated research vessel which is probably ridiculously well-funded. It seems to me like the type of equipment between a mining tug and a research vessel is probably going to differ drastically in quality, even if there is a time gap between the two.

Like interactive hologram controls vs the years later biege keyboards, xmas tree lights, and a xerox printer in the Nostromo... :lol:

Don't care what the producers and director say, NO WAYS IN ANY intelligent dimension is this film the proper prequel as the Prometheus's technology is just way too advance. End of story. ;)

Like interactive hologram controls vs the years later biege keyboards, xmas tree lights, and a xerox printer in the Nostromo... :lol:

Don't care what the producers and director say, NO WAYS IN ANY intelligent dimension is this film the proper prequel as the Prometheus's technology is just way too advance. End of story. ;)

If this movie is as good as alien that doesn't matter at all.

If this movie is as good as alien that doesn't matter at all.

I want this movie to be great.

But logic and common sense says it's impossible for me to accept it as the prequel cause of the advanced technology.