Prometheus - on Blu-Ray and DVD Oct. 9, 2012

All my life, ever since first seeing Alien (in the 80s on UK TV), I've always throught the Space Jockey was skeletal alien remains. It never once occured to me that it was a space suit!

Graham

same here...

ed: okay, so how are they going to explain why the "suit" was so gigantic compared to the Nostromo's crew, eh? seems like an awful lot of compromise is being asked of the audience--at least those who happened to have seen the first Alien...

**oh wait! it didn't happen like that in the first story--what really happened was ____** and in the process we get some sh*t that's pretty far removed from the story we may have taken from the first movie(s).

Christ, it's like Orwell, come to life. The little piggies are sneaking up on the ladder in the night to re-write what's on the wall--and people are buying it!

Edited by reddsun1

same here...

ed: okay, so how are they going to explain why the "suit" was so gigantic compared to the Nostromo's crew, eh? seems like an awful lot of compromise is being asked of the audience--at least those who happened to have seen the first Alien...

**oh wait! it didn't happen like that in the first story--what really happened was ____** and in the process we get some sh*t that's pretty far removed from the story we may have taken from the first movie(s).

Christ, it's like Orwell, come to life. The little piggies are sneaking up on the ladder in the night to re-write what's on the wall--and people are buying it!

What has the size of the suit got to do with the size of the crew of the Nostromo? Those suits aren't for humans. They're for whatever race the crew of Prometheus is about to encounter.

What has the size of the suit got to do with the size of the crew of the Nostromo? Those suits aren't for humans. They're for whatever race the crew of Prometheus is about to encounter.

ah, ok. that's what I get for skimming, I suppose. Above posts with pic of alien-esque suits in background seemed to infer that they were somehow related to/derived from the one that will eventually end up in the "hot seat," as it were...

If you look VERY carefully in the trailer, you will see what is possibly a human size figure next the jockey. So the jockey itself is still very large, no retconning there. I say 'possibly' a human size figure because in the fleeting glimpse, it's not clear if the smaller figure - to the right of the jockey - is human.

If you look VERY carefully in the trailer, you will see what is possibly a human size figure next the jockey. So the jockey itself is still very large, no retconning there. I say 'possibly' a human size figure because in the fleeting glimpse, it's not clear if the smaller figure - to the right of the jockey - is human.

Looking at a freeze-frame of that shot, it's hard to tell the perspective of the shot. Looks like that figure could be in scale with the chair, which means notably bigger than human. Time will tell. I have a hard time thinking Ridley would make that big a gaff or bizarre a retcon.

Can't wait to find out! :D

How much has Giger made out of the Alien series I wonder. I hope he didn't design the awful Hybrid from the Alien:Resurrection.

He did a lot of work on the first, helped stan winston little bit in. the second mostly with the queens design, got bitter after that and did nothing for the third, fourth, or avp ones. Prometheus is his return to the series.

Funny thing about the hybrid is the froggie surealist director of resurrection thought it would be a good idea to attach both sets of genetalia which Fox spent almost a million editing out of the film.

Its actually not that far off of Giger's ideas considering the xenomorphs phallic head, the business end of the hugger looks like a vagina, and the first film is all about male rape and pregnancy... thanks for the thought O'bannon

Edited by renegadeleader1

He did a lot of work on the first, helped stan winston little bit in. the second mostly with the queens design, got bitter after that and did nothing for the third, fourth, or avp ones. Prometheus is his return to the series.

As far as I recall it, Giger wasn't involved with Aliens at all. James Cameron and Stan Winston did all the new design there, especially the queen (Giger has been quoted as quite liking the Queen design). Giger was busy on Poltergeist II at the time Aliens was being made. He was involved quite a bit in the early stages of Alien 3, but only fragments of his designs made it into the final picture, and there was a whole legal row with Fox over everything.

So, according to this week's Entertainment Weekly, Prometheus will be in 3D. Did I miss this, or is this new info?

(null)

Missed something.

It's also one of the reasons why the sets & lighting are so bright - it's been intended from the start that darkness will be added in post, to suit the distribution format (3D moderate darkness, 2D heavy darkness).

Relax! It's going to be a great movie.

A side story involving the space jockey race. It's going to expand the alien universe. The aliens are just a piece of a bigger and more complex reality and that's very exciting.

Well ladies and gentlemen, after our favorite killing alien race has had success with "Alien" and "Aliens" but suffering in everything else afterwards to include the AvP series, I'm looking forward to Prometheus. It simply cannot get as bad as the 1990s and onwards movies have been with the aliens.

And Graham, the chances of seeing official Star Wars ANH in 3D, in the theaters, with the original vision of Lucas, i.e. "Han Shoots First!" is about as likely as World Peace beginning within our lifetimes :p

And Graham, the chances of seeing official Star Wars ANH in 3D, in the theaters, with the original vision of Lucas, i.e. "Han Shoots First!" is about as likely as World Peace beginning within our lifetimes :p

nah... I think what'll happen is Han will draw first, stealthily aiming his blas..... his walkie talkie. ;)

Yep, 2D all the way. Really no interest in seeing anything in 3D.

Although I could possibly be tempted to watch Star Wars, A New Hope in 3D, as long as Han shoots first!

Graham

To be honest after seeing the trailer for Phantom Menace in 3D I don't think the Star Wars movies will look good at all. Adding 3D to older 2D movies in post is already spotty and I felt the stuff I saw for EP1 looked HORRIBLE. I'd rather just have Han shooting first in 2D again.

Sorry to get off topic, but you just cannot beat original unmodified Star Wars (in 2D as it was meant to be), or as the young uns' call it these days 'A New Hope'.

And getting back on topic, Go Aliens!

Thinking about it, I'd pay good money to see an Alien/Star Wars crossover. Has that ever been done before as a comic? Han and Chewie against Aliens, now that would rock!

Graham

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, is there nothing Guy Pearce can't do? The subject matter of the speech itself is a little over-the-top villainous, but damn...that is one compelling performance. Definitely some of the best viral marketing I've seen since District 9's paper marketing campaign.