Prometheus - on Blu-Ray and DVD Oct. 9, 2012

I do hope the Space Jockeys are NOT human (oids) with helmets on. I was looking forward to a true 3 race of beings...

Well, given that the remains shown in Alien seemed to have one head, two arms, and two legs, I'd say odds of the race not being humanoid are pretty slim.

I do hope the Space Jockeys are NOT human (oids) with helmets on. I was looking forward to a true 3 race of beings...

Well, they are giants compared to us. (But not Zentradi size.)

Expect the Atlantis / Macross / Protoculture theme here.

Edited by Omegablue

Now, now... Predator + Alien + Dark Horse Comics = reasonably good stories. Predator + Alien + 20th Century Fox = markedly less than impressive results.

Although I do vaguely recall Scott expressing positive things about Aliens, I think it's pretty likely Ridley is only considering Alien with Prometheus, and isn't worried about franchise "canon" or the wailings of a thousand fanboys.

Is it a helmet? I always thought it was the Space Jockey's skull.

Graham

Yip, it is. Though really does look like a skull, but I guess with the ship's organic design is carried over to the pilot's suits.

In the trailer it looks slightly diffirent.

You know, next to the space jockey, the other question I always wanted an answer to was what is arcturian poontang, and why does it not matter if it is male?

Seriously? 'Cause text can't tell whether you're kidding. :lol:

In the interests of keeping this board family friendly-ish, look up "poontang" in the Urban Dictionary and use your imagination from there.

But I see where Renegadeleader1 is coming from. I always got the impression that sentient aliens or alien tech were rare in the franchise. Therefore it was a BIG DEAL if something new was found.

I know what poontang is, but what are the Arcturians? Are they sentient? Humanoid? Along the same lines, what other critters did the marines have experience with?

Of course, these were largely throw-away character-building lines, but mysteries prevail. I'm sure there's fanfics out there! :)

(null)

To me looks like a helmet, thinks that pic above is a wip of the helmet.

I liked the idea it was more of a skull than a helmet. My personal preference is to expand the story farther away from just us earthlings, and learn about a completely different intelligent, alien race, with its own past.

Feel a little bummed that -- A. The Space Jockey was just a larger human in a helmet, and B. Prometheus might tie our origins together thus shrinking the story line in a way.

I'm sure I'll warm to the idea since I generally love anything Scott works on...

I know what poontang is, but what are the Arcturians? Are they sentient? Humanoid? Along the same lines, what other critters did the marines have experience with?

Of course, these were largely throw-away character-building lines, but mysteries prevail. I'm sure there's fanfics out there! :)

(null)

The Arcturians were probably regular humans. Thie name "Arcturian" just happened to be the nationality/ethnicity/culture/political group they were identified by. IIRC, there were a few brief mentions of Arctrurians in the Colonial Marines Technical Manual which insinuated this; however, I don't know if it's canon.

The Arcturians were probably regular humans. Thie name "Arcturian" just happened to be the nationality/ethnicity/culture/political group they were identified by. IIRC, there were a few brief mentions of Arctrurians in the Colonial Marines Technical Manual which insinuated this; however, I don't know if it's canon.

As far as I know, there isn't any canon for the Aliens/Predator franchise outside the movies. The Technical Manual is one of those things that's cool enough that fans want it to be canon, and I see things mined from it here and there, but it tops out as "fanon" only. No one's really "minding the store" as far as I know when it comes to fleshing out the A/P universe... just the cash grab of the moment and screen writers who may or may not trample on anything previously established. For a while Brandywine kinda sorta kept a hand in the consistency of the Alien franchise, but Fox ended that with AvP.

Those throw-away lines in Aliens do hint at other tales to tell. That's what makes the story so good (well, part of the reason anyway). The world of the movie feels like it's more than just a setup for the events that follow.

"Is this a stand-up fight, sir, or another bug hunt?" Another? I'd love to know what else humanity has encountered.

Edited by Penguin

I love Legend! I'm probably alone there... lol. Tim Curry as The Darkness was awesome. Also Enjoyed Black Rain.

Worst ones are Hannibal and Robin Hood as mentioned.

Y'know, I actually enjoyed Robin Hood. Didn't think much of Hannibal though. Or Thelma and Louise, for that matter.

I liked the idea it was more of a skull than a helmet. My personal preference is to expand the story farther away from just us earthlings, and learn about a completely different intelligent, alien race, with its own past.

Feel a little bummed that -- A. The Space Jockey was just a larger human in a helmet, and B. Prometheus might tie our origins together thus shrinking the story line in a way.

I'm sure I'll warm to the idea since I generally love anything Scott works on...

All my life, ever since first seeing Alien (in the 80s on UK TV), I've always throught the Space Jockey was skeletal alien remains. It never once occured to me that it was a space suit!

Graham

All my life, ever since first seeing Alien (in the 80s on UK TV), I've always throught the Space Jockey was skeletal alien remains. It never once occured to me that it was a space suit!

Graham

Me too! Gotta wonder how the actual humanoid inside the Space Jockey is like.

Well, that pretty much confirms Ridley Scott's assertion that what we saw of the space jockey in "Alien" is just a suit...

Hmm, these could also be the equivalent of Cylon Centurions, a kind of sentry in "stand by" mode. Why should they put some space suits in this corridor? Or maybe Scott just wanted to go for a "haunted castle IN SPACE" feel, with some decorative medieval armor.

541307d789.jpg

I always thought it was an enigma - maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. As a connosieur of Giger's work, I can say pretty much conclusively that Giger's original intent with the design was meant to be enigmatic - Giger's designs of this period explored the melding of man and machine, where the two blended, an pure amalgamation of flesh and machine. With this design, it seemed the alien was somehow blended with the device he was using, which I always saw as some sort of viewing device, perhaps dimly related to a telescope. Or perhaps it was some sort of device to transmit something - information? Spirit? Giger has always been happy to mix mysticism in his science fiction and did not see a contradiction in this.

However, Ridley will have his own spin on this all, and I cannot wait to see it. Already I can see some sort of galactic atlas in the teaser we now have available. Perhaps it was a navigation device? We will see...

I was 8 years old when I saw Alien for the first time at the movies. It changed my life. However, my just-seperated mother was not at all amused when she found my father had taken me to see it at this age....

Edited by PetarB

Hmmm... could be just the shadow from the curve off the hallway.

I agree.

Of course, the backpack thingy may be something needed to interface with the chair. It may be part of the chair, it may be a totally different suit, or it may just be a detail in the original artwork that was never used on screen.

Nevertheless, whatever it turns out to be, it's still awesomeness.

that big gun... in Alien, they first thought the beacon was a distress, eventually they determine it was a warning. The chair maybe part of a weapon, but looking at the few pics so far, its much more than a communications/navigation device

im still convinced some kind of disease is contracted that has something to do with the SJ's and perhaps the zenomorphs... maybe.