Prometheus - on Blu-Ray and DVD Oct. 9, 2012

Although this is shaping up to be epic, I can't shake the feeling that we're being trolled with extreme prejudice at the moment.

First alien by film's end but no xenomorph ... ?

Not connected to the Alien film franchise... but it's about the Space Jockey ??? :blink:

Personally, I don't agree with the vast majority of Erich von Däniken's ideas, particularly attributing ET's as the engineers for various architectural and engineering feats performed by ancient humans. If God forbid the world were to reboot next year, some futuristic human scholar rebuilding his/her civilization from scratch would have certainly attributed my Yammi transforming VF-1 as the work of Grays from Zeta Reticuli!

I'm willing to ignore this for the sake of an epic scifi horror film though.

You'll love this

http://www.cracked.com/article_18718_6-famous-unsolved-mysteries-that-have-totally-been-solved_p2.html

Although this is shaping up to be epic, I can't shake the feeling that we're being trolled with extreme prejudice at the moment.

First alien by film's end but no xenomorph ... ?

Not connected to the Alien film franchise... but it's about the Space Jockey ??? :blink:

Yes, I can see that because abosolutely NOTHING was mentioned about the Space Jockey in any of the Alien films. Even in the original Alien they didn't go into what the space jockey was or where it was from. He was just some poor alien who had been killed by a xenomorph..period. So, I can see how the space jockey and it's story could not be connected to the Alien xenomorph story. Which sits fine with me because xenomorphs are played out!! :D

Edited by aerocombatpilot

Pure awesomeness preview!

Not only does it elevate the movie into a "can... not... wait...", but it also laden with nostalgia. Is that a Nostromo twin doing an extremely similar reentry? Could the vehicles in that hangar be the twins of those seen on the Sulaco? Doesn't that big, impassive bust scream Giger?

Well at least know some things about this movie:

1) It IS a prequel to Alien by evidence of the Derelict ship.

2) This WILL have something to do with the space jokey.

3) We will PROBABLY find out who truly sent that distress signal, or warning.

4) This looks like it takes place back on LV426.

Remember the Jokey's seat is empty, so it's obvious the creature was still alive. Which makes me wonder again, how long ago was this suppose to be set before Ripley and crew landed on LV426?

Now Ridley said there will be no Alien, at least it's been said the Alien we've all come to know. So I wonder what exactly it is suppose to be replaced with cause I remember reading it's something along the lines of gonna make ya poop your pants.

Maybe it's a smokescreen, maybe it really is Alien but they are trying to take some of the heat off the production so they are pulling a "Blue Harvest"? Why? I dunno, fear of media intrusions, wanting to work in some sort of secrecy without all of the films content being blurted over the net?

Stranger things have happened.

I wasn't the only one saying it at the time but I think I was pretty correct.

Thanks for io9 for pointing out this little gem......

whoisthat-1.jpg

Check out the whole article here for analysis. Also look at the comparison between the Prometheus trailer and the original Alien trailer.......

Well at least know some things about this movie:

1) It IS a prequel to Alien by evidence of the Derelict ship.

2) This WILL have something to do with the space jokey.

3) We will PROBABLY find out who truly sent that distress signal, or warning.

4) This looks like it takes place back on LV426.

And maybe it isn't, it won't and we'll not find anything out because this really doesn't have anything to do with Alien, and Mr. Scott is just trolling the crap out of everyone.

At least that's what I'm hoping for. If it actually does have anything to do with Alien I think I'll be sorely disappointed.

The whole xenomorph thing is played out. You know what it's about and you know what it does and how people react. But the Alien universe is pretty interesting. I think the logical prequel would be about the space jockeys and the logical sequels after Aliens should have been about the Colonial Marines...

I think this movie will blow

you away! :lol:

hopefully.

Check out the whole article here for analysis. Also look at the comparison between the Prometheus trailer and the original Alien trailer.......

Holy cr@p! First time I've seen the "Alien" trailer, and it's creeeeepy. It also makes me want to go out and track down a copy of the movie.

That article is a good find. Wish that they provided more analysis of the final few frames of the preview.

Nevertheless, it got me thinking: what if the number of stone pegs in front of the humanoid head equal to the number of chromosomes (47)?

Edited by sketchley

Wait. So are the protagonists supposed to be human? Or some "similar" aliens? How long before the Nostromo discovers the distress signal would these events have to take place?

So, could it be conceivable that in some roundabout way, the film will present them as from a race of beings that could be the progenitors of mankind in some way? Like *shudder* the protoculture or something?

YACK!

Exsedol01.JPG

My guess is that this is not going to have much connection with the xenomorphs, but concentrates on the space jockeys instead. Maybe those cylinders the ship is carrying are advanced bio weapons based on the xenomorphs? While the first ship in Alien was carrying some of the raw samples. Could be these are two different ships and two different planets. Could be they're the same and the cylinders eventually morph into those eggs. Of course, the trailer might not show the xenomorphs because that would destroy the surprise.

As for the relative timeline, we'll have to wait and see - unless the 'prequel' business can be taken at face value. I don't think having humans in this, even this being the same ship, precludes it being a prequel to Alien. I'm sure The Company has pulled off harder cover-ups in its time.

Could be they're the same and the cylinders eventually morph into those eggs.

I can see what eventually becomes the Xenomorph coming out of a cylinder, but not the cylinder itself morphing into a Xenomorph egg (unless if you meant it in the sense of the cylinder's being a stage in the development of a biological weapon, and the Xenomorph egg-face hugger being a later development of the same weapon).

Of course, the trailer might not show the xenomorphs because that would destroy the surprise.

Good point.

As for the relative timeline, we'll have to wait and see - unless the 'prequel' business can be taken at face value. I don't think having humans in this, even this being the same ship, precludes it being a prequel to Alien. I'm sure The Company has pulled off harder cover-ups in its time.

More good points. From what I understand of it, the film takes place before Weyland and Yutani merge. How long before the start of "Alien" that was, is anybody's guess. But if the indication in the trailer is correct that people have to be in a kind of space suit to use the stasis pod, then it's more on the rather lengthy. (Let's also keep in mind that the time span between sequels in the Alien series is rather lengthy itself, Alien3 excepted.)

Yesterday, I was looking up some stuff on "Aliens" (a cut scene), and I came across an unfilmed exchange of dialogue in the script: in the inquiry, when they claim that there's no evidence of the Xenomorph in the shuttle, Ripley responds that the evidence has been tampered with...

My understanding of what I've read is, the film will focus on the Space Jockey and only the Space Jockey. There will be something in there to lead into the Xenomorphs, but this film isn't about the Xenomorphs.

You can find the interview with Ridley Scott here: http://filmophilia.com/2011/12/17/interview-ridley-scott-talks-prometheus-giger-beginning-of-man-and-original-alien/

But that was taken down by the author due to publishing issues. But the author left various mirrors. So you can find the reposts here:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=41273.0

No Xenomorphs In "Prometheus"?

http://www.horrorbid.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=279&t=18951

I think that they are going to have problems marketing this film to a "broader" audience without the Aliens in it. (don't like the Xenomorph expression) Ridley Scott fans and diehard Aliens fanboys will certainly be on board (ie, people like us), but to a broader cinema going audience, all they really have so far is star power.

I'm not trying to be critical here, just making an observation.

I'm not certain I understand that sentiment, are you saying that there is no way to draw in a broader audience without linking a film directly to a pre-existing IP? Certainly I'd agree that having an existing popular IP attached does make it easier to market, but it's kind of silly to suggest that it will be "problematic" for any movie to reach a broad audience unless it's a sequel.

I think that they are going to have problems marketing this film to a "broader" audience without the Aliens in it. (don't like the Xenomorph expression) Ridley Scott fans and diehard Aliens fanboys will certainly be on board (ie, people like us), but to a broader cinema going audience, all they really have so far is star power.

I'm not trying to be critical here, just making an observation.

Actually just the opposite. They would have a hard time marketing this as a quality sci-fi film if they had xenomorphs in it. As someone pointed out earlier, xenomorphs have been done to death. Look at the last three films with xenomorphs in them and you will see that they were broadly panned by critics and their small appeal was mainly aimed at the teen horror/gore fans. Ridley Scott obviously made this observation when he started this project and wants to distance himself from that aspect of the story in order to have broader appeal, ie; to be taken seriously.