Prometheus - on Blu-Ray and DVD Oct. 9, 2012

Possible synopsis? From shock till you drop

Earth. Year 2058.

digs in Africa reveal alien artifacts that humans were genetically engineered by a advanced alien race (space jockeys). These "Alien Gods" also terraformed Earth in order to make it habitable for their human creations. Amongst finds are coordinates to the Alien God's home-world, to Paradise. Months later the Weyland Corp launch the spaceship PROMETHEUS and his crew, into deep space to make first contact. Thanks to faster than light travel a few years later the PROMETHEUS enters the Zeta Riticuli star system. Humans are greeted by their makers, then transported further into space to a scary yet fascinating world. The Alien Gods are proud of their "children", their first creation to reach such levels of intelligence.

As a reward they share bits of their astonishing bio-based technologies with the humans. But for one crew member of the Prometheus it's not enough. In a treacherous act he steals the "bio-source code" to Terraforming, a technology at the origin of all Gods' power, that could make humans equal to the gods. The Alien Gods may be scientists but are also ruthless conquerors, destroyers of worlds who will not accept humans as equals. They unleash on the escaping human crew their favorite bio-weapon, a creature used to "clean up" worlds before colonization. But something goes wrong in the process and humans manage to turn the bio-weapon against their makers. Giving birth to a smarter, nastier, bigger breed of gut eating creatures. Creatures that will be the demise of Paradise. What's left of the Prometheus crew manages to escape the doomed planet.

On their trail a survivor Alien God in very familiar ship with one ultimate mission.

Bring the wrath of the Gods to Earth.

If true, then THIS is precisely why films get covert treatment/misleading names in production--ONE BIG PHHHKIN SPOILER!

Oh where & what happened to surprise??!! This ENTIRE generation prolly grew up taking their own X-mas presents hostage & raping them 2wks before Dec. 25th!!!

[...albeit, I admit interesting & titillating possibilites.]

Oh where & what happened to surprise??!! This ENTIRE generation prolly grew up taking their own X-mas presents hostage & raping them 2wks before Dec. 25th!!!

Fark!

Anyway, everything I am hearing about this film makes it sound like it is going to be *different* to the other films in the Aliens franchise.

And to me, that has to be a good thing.

Fark!

Anyway, everything I am hearing about this film makes it sound like it is going to be *different* to the other films in the Aliens franchise.

And to me, that has to be a good thing.

Agreed.

Too much of the same good thing is not good in the end, and one of the hallmarks of the Alien film series has been that each film is different from the preceding ones - for better or worse.

If kanedaestes post is an accurate paraphrased short of the script basics, then looks like it will work for me, add that Mr Scott himself is at the helm and I think we may have a winner :)

Looking forward to seeing this film....AVP really messed me up as far as the timeline is concerned I hope this will straighten things out.

Possible synopsis? From shock till you drop

Earth. Year 2058.

digs in Africa reveal alien artifacts that humans were genetically engineered by a advanced alien race (space jockeys). These "Alien Gods" also terraformed Earth in order to make it habitable for their human creations. Amongst finds are coordinates to the Alien God's home-world, to Paradise. Months later the Weyland Corp launch the spaceship PROMETHEUS and his crew, into deep space to make first contact. Thanks to faster than light travel a few years later the PROMETHEUS enters the Zeta Riticuli star system. Humans are greeted by their makers, then transported further into space to a scary yet fascinating world. The Alien Gods are proud of their "children", their first creation to reach such levels of intelligence.

As a reward they share bits of their astonishing bio-based technologies with the humans. But for one crew member of the Prometheus it's not enough. In a treacherous act he steals the "bio-source code" to Terraforming, a technology at the origin of all Gods' power, that could make humans equal to the gods. The Alien Gods may be scientists but are also ruthless conquerors, destroyers of worlds who will not accept humans as equals. They unleash on the escaping human crew their favorite bio-weapon, a creature used to "clean up" worlds before colonization. But something goes wrong in the process and humans manage to turn the bio-weapon against their makers. Giving birth to a smarter, nastier, bigger breed of gut eating creatures. Creatures that will be the demise of Paradise. What's left of the Prometheus crew manages to escape the doomed planet.

On their trail a survivor Alien God in very familiar ship with one ultimate mission.

Bring the wrath of the Gods to Earth.

Only one big, glaring problem with that "possible" synopsis. Totally flies in the face of the well established--in fact, one of the critical plot-points common to all the Alien movies thus far--underlying anti-corporatism theme, and Weyland Corp's relentless attempts to capture the Aliens "so they can use it as a weapon" regardless of the collateral damage. If everything happened as surmised above to get us to the fate of the Space Jockey, then wouldn't Weyland--and humans in general--already have access to these bio-weapons and so much more, who-knows how many CENTURIES before Ripley and her hapless crew comes along [long enough for Space Jockey to fossilize]?

In fact now that I think of it; that kinda makes it all a moot point anyway. If it's been THAT damned long, humans sure as hell ought to have advanced far enough so that they wouldn't need dangerous and unpredictable "bio-weapons" anyway. Proof positive that, once AGAIN, somebody didn't do their homework, and bother to WATCH THE ORIGINAL F'ING SOURCE MATERIAL. Who the fu*k are these guys at shock til you drop anyway? and why should we listen to them?

ed: Oh, fu*kit--it's just a slippery-slope argument, logic pissing on fantasy and escapism's campfire story. Like: if Space Jockey's ship has been crashed long enough for his a$$ to fossilize into his chair--then the damned Alien eggs sure as sh*t shouldn't have survived THAT long. Should've just been a ship full of rotten a$$ Alien eggs. [eww!] Application of common sense just winds up ruining everything; sometimes I wish I could just turn it off, quit while I'm ahead.

Edited by reddsun1

Only one big, glaring problem with that "possible" synopsis. Totally flies in the face of the well established--in fact, one of the critical plot-points common to all the Alien movies thus far--underlying anti-corporatism theme, and Weyland Corp's relentless attempts to capture the Aliens "so they can use it as a weapon" regardless of the collateral damage. If everything happened as surmised above to get us to the fate of the Space Jockey, then wouldn't Weyland--and humans in general--already have access to these bio-weapons and so much more, who-knows how many CENTURIES before Ripley and her hapless crew comes along [long enough for Space Jockey to fossilize]?

In fact now that I think of it; that kinda makes it all a moot point anyway. If it's been THAT damned long, humans sure as hell ought to have advanced far enough so that they wouldn't need dangerous and unpredictable "bio-weapons" anyway. Proof positive that, once AGAIN, somebody didn't do their homework, and bother to WATCH THE ORIGINAL F'ING SOURCE MATERIAL. Who the fu*k are these guys at shock til you drop anyway? and why should we listen to them?

ed: Oh, fu*kit--it's just a slippery-slope argument, logic pissing on fantasy and escapism's campfire story. Like: if Space Jockey's ship has been crashed long enough for his a$$ to fossilize into his chair--then the damned Alien eggs sure as sh*t shouldn't have survived THAT long. Should've just been a ship full of rotten a$$ Alien eggs. [eww!] Application of common sense just winds up ruining everything; sometimes I wish I could just turn it off, quit while I'm ahead.

The setting of this movie is only supposed to be 80 years before "alien". As for wether humans should already have the bio technology do you really expect any of the humans to survive to make it back? Maybe a radio message describing what happened, butI wouldn't be surprised if this movie ends with everyone going back to their cryopods only to have some poor sap that got hugged earlier in the movie gets busted.

Finally I just wanted to add Ridley Scott is THE THE ORIGINAL F'ING SOURCE MATERIAL!

EDIT: as to fossilization we don't even know if thats the actual space jockey or just part of the ship/spacesuit.

Edited by renegadeleader1

I'm pretty sure Ridley Scott won't put his name to something that doesn't fit or make any sense. I can think of several ways for them solve the "did Weyland know" issue. We'll have to wait and see...

Going back to the "it's fossilized" line - was it really fossilized? Or just colourful language from a crew member who doesn't know any better way to describe what he sees?

Of course, the other extreme of the argument is that the atmosphere of the planet has interacted with the pilot's body/space suit and fossilization has indeed occurred.

Nevertheless, I kinda like the original back-story that was written for "Alien" (I believe a synopsis of it is still readable on the wikipedia article for the movie). If memory serves, the space jockey is just a guy passing through the system that crashed on the planet, and the egg nest is actually below the ship in a structure built by the Xenomorph to preserve their species when they learned that they're planet was dying (thereby implying that the Xenomorph is a natural species that grew up on the planet, and not a bio-weapon).

I always thought that the "fossilization" was due to the atmosphere interaction. Also I always asumed that the atmosphere was thin as well as non viable for humans. Would have to check the DVD as they IIRC have some info on the Atmos content. Part of the "Fossilization" could be due to low temperature and thin dry atmosphere as this would have a dehydration effect on the body.

Wow, great story (maybe).

...especially if they'd extrapolate the God's world from the Giger designs we see in the original Alien. "Paradise" would be a nightmare, but truly not from this world.

Btw Giger did a piece that illustrated how the Aliens were part of a religious cult of the Space Jockey's race. IMO that made more sense than O'Bannon's idea of a coincidental infection.

[...]

Finally I just wanted to add Ridley Scott is THE THE ORIGINAL F'ING SOURCE MATERIAL!

[...]

Which doesn't prove anything: original authors often are the first ones to "forget" some of the main points of their own previous works, because they focus on particular and major aspects of a new project which cannot be developped without some retcon...

Hell, even Kawamori does this, ie not taking too much into account what previous Macross stories tell in order to tell a new one.

Going back to the "it's fossilized" line - was it really fossilized? Or just colourful language from a crew member who doesn't know any better way to describe what he sees?

[...]

And that is the perfect example of the fanboy who wants so much the new story to fit into the continuity that he retcons himself the old one... :p;)

I always thought that the "fossilization" was due to the atmosphere interaction. Also I always asumed that the atmosphere was thin as well as non viable for humans. Would have to check the DVD as they IIRC have some info on the Atmos content. Part of the "Fossilization" could be due to low temperature and thin dry atmosphere as this would have a dehydration effect on the body.

Or it can be related to this particular organism which, in such circumstances, fossilize quicker than any other ones... which also sounds like a fanboy wish to make the retcon acceptable.

---------------------

Anyway, Ridley Scott's or not, it seems to me that this new Alien will suck at least as much as any of the other ones after Cameron's: this franchise's long dead, guys, get over it...

I can see why you'd think it was a dead series. They certainly have screwed it up.

But for some reason I think Scott can do it, pull out something that starts a new era for the franchise (that someone else will screw up later when they get their hands on it)

Edited by DarrinG

I can see why you'd think it was a dead series. They certainly have screwed it up.

But for some reason I think Scott can do it, pull out something that starts a new era for the franchise (that someone else will screw up later when they get their hands on it)

I can already picture it. "Xenomorphs vs. Predators 2: The Final Crackdown". :p

Yeah they could cross pollinate it with 90210 and set it at a high school for children of USMC Guys on Long outer system tours dry.gif

That said they story still would better than most of the AvP spin off stuff

Edited by big F

Yeah they could cross pollinate it with 90210 and set it at a high school for children of USMC Guys on Long outer system tours dry.gif

That said they story still would better than most of the AvP spin off stuff

Been done, it was called "Starship Troopers."

Then, next step is Alien vs. Starship Troopers!

Oh, well, it has been done already, it's called Aliens...

But what if the marines get power armors?!?

Then, next step is Alien vs. Starship Troopers!

Oh, well, it has been done already, it's called Aliens...

But what if the marines get power armors?!?

Alien VS Starship Troopers VS Terminator? I smell a new major comic book franchise in the works.

Bah, this is the ultimate Aliens vs crossover

aliens-vs-vader-5218-1290799937-38.jpg

LOL! Love it.

Actually wouldn't the light sabre be the perfect weapon vs. the aliens? Cauterizes as it cuts thus preventing the nasty acid blood of the aliens.

Edited by Marzan