Civilization V

Duke Togo

Civilization V Announced

Firaxis reveals the next title in the celebrated strategy series.

by Steve Butts

February 18, 2010 - 2K Games just made the day a little brighter with the announcement of a brand new title in the best-selling Civilization series. Sid Meier's Civilization V, currently in development at Firaxis, will feature an "entirely new combat system, deeper diplomatic interactions, and a cavalcade of expanded features that deliver a fully immersive experience providing hours of enteratainment as players build and defend their empire on their quest to become the greatest ruler the world has ever known."

Perhaps most significantly for fans, the series is making the jump to hexagons rather than square tiles to "allow for deeper strategy, more realistic gameplay, and stunning organic landscapes." The entire game is being built on an entirely new engine that's being built from the ground up to bring players "closer to the Civ experience than ever." Diplomacy is handled full screen now, with full leader animations and appropriate languages. Players who aren't inclined towards negotiations will find that war feels "more massive" and includes ranged bombardment from behind front lines.

Civilization V will also include an "extensive suite of community, modding and multiplayer elements," and an "in-game community hub where Civ fans can share content and compete against each other."

Firaxis' director of creative development and series' eponym Sid Meier shared his enthusiasm for the new project: "Each new version of Civilization presents exciting challenge for our team. Thankfully, ideas on how to bring new and fun experiences to Civ players never seem to stop flowing." He added, "We're excited for players to see the new vision our team at Firaxis has brought to the series."

No release date has been set.

Phew... it won't be released until after my wedding...

I heart Civilization in the biggest way.

Sounds like it's going to be more like Dark Wizard on the Sega CD :)

My one gripe about Civ is that war, especially in the latter years, drags the game to a halt. It seems like I blow through the first 5000 years of my country's existence and then I'll have a huge war in the late 1800s and spend the rest of my time playing plodding forward. Unfortunately, it sounds like the plans for war won't make it go by any quicker.

congrats on the marriage man!

Yeah, I try to play the game so that there's only 1 major super power on each land mass by the time tanks and airplanes are available. Otherwise the war mechanic just kills the end game game for me which I prefer to play as a space race

My one gripe about Civ is that war, especially in the latter years, drags the game to a halt. It seems like I blow through the first 5000 years of my country's existence and then I'll have a huge war in the late 1800s and spend the rest of my time playing plodding forward. Unfortunately, it sounds like the plans for war won't make it go by any quicker.

Yeah, war is always the best and the worst feature of the game simultaneously. I mean, you get to have some truly epic struggles, some of which can last for hundreds of years, cost millions of lives and hundreds of units. But when you think about it, if you want to play the game in a realistic fashion, how is it possible for a war to last hundreds of years?

The city-by-city approach of destroying an enemy is always too much of a painfully slow approach. If it was more realistic, you would be able to mass forces and launch an attack on a capital city and take out an enemy empire in one blow. That would be great.

I really enjoyed Alpha Centauri too.

Taksraven

Yeah, war is always the best and the worst feature of the game simultaneously. I mean, you get to have some truly epic struggles, some of which can last for hundreds of years, cost millions of lives and hundreds of units. But when you think about it, if you want to play the game in a realistic fashion, how is it possible for a war to last hundreds of years?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundred_Years%27_War 1337 to 1453

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punic_wars 264 to 146 BC

and the crusades lasted about 200 years if you want to just lump all of them together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundred_Years%27_War 1337 to 1453

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punic_wars 264 to 146 BC

and the crusades lasted about 200 years if you want to just lump all of them together.

Thats not the sort of thing I'm talking about and you know it. Who has fought a war that has lasted for hundreds of years with tanks and aircraft. :p :P :p

Taksraven

Thats not the sort of thing I'm talking about and you know it. Who has fought a war that has lasted for hundreds of years with tanks and aircraft. :p :P :p

Taksraven

maybe if they had to take turns moving and guys with bows and arrows had better than even odds of taking out guys in tanks real wars would take as long as they do it Civ?

maybe if they had to take turns moving and guys with bows and arrows had better than even odds of taking out guys in tanks real wars would take as long as they do it Civ?

Took out a tank once with a chariot on the original Civ game once. Actually turned the whole game around for me. I was playing at the highest difficulty and as usual everybody had the good tech b4 me, but by taking out the tank with my little chariot I was able to roll straight into an enemy city, steal the tech for tanks and from that point I was eventually able to win the game. Good stuff, but VERY unrealistic.......

Taksraven

Took out a tank once with a chariot on the original Civ game once. Actually turned the whole game around for me. I was playing at the highest difficulty and as usual everybody had the good tech b4 me, but by taking out the tank with my little chariot I was able to roll straight into an enemy city, steal the tech for tanks and from that point I was eventually able to win the game. Good stuff, but VERY unrealistic.......

Taksraven

Haha.... I once tried to do a coastal bombarment of a city with my battlleship in Civ 1 and a phalanx destroyed it. That's when I knew the unit mechanics were off.

vinnie

A Gamer's History of the United States: 1492 - 20XX

Civic unrest in the English civilization leads to a number of distant cities breaking off to become a rival culture. The ensuing clash between poor farmers and the best-equipped navy in the world becomes history’s most famous example of the military phenomena known as “Spearmen vs. Tanks.”

not at all the same thing as what we're talking about.

the colonists still had the same level of technology and arms, the French were applying naval pressure and there supply and other factors to consider. The goal of the british wasn't simply to conquer but to retake and hold the colonies. It wasn't as if the colonist militias were using bronze spears and shields and taking out tanks which is something that happens in Civ.