1/72 Wave Tomahawk

ahiachris

My secret to realistic damage - real damage! Burn/drill out the blast holes, sit a LITTLE match head or gun powder in it, and hold a lighter next to it. Can't argue with the real deal ^_^

No sweat on the car. I'm getting a manual X Y table for my drill press. It will make life a lot easier - even if its cheating :rolleyes: - MT

• 2 months later...

Ya I think I would rather settle with customizing a 1/60 scale "hawk" versus shelling out money for a smaller scale version.

I also agree that actual damage/real damage is the best way to go. I had previously a thread/forum in which I was customizing

a 1/60 hawk with LED lighting and the likes however it seems to have "disappeared" from this site during the move. :ph34r:

I may have to re-post it again along with the updates.

It is a fantastic kit, but the price is just not acceptable.

I think because in Japanese market the most retailers sells new items 30% off MSRP,

which makes the original price of 7140 yen goes down to 4998 yen, just under 5000 yen.

...wow...still not worth it. I think I will stick with 1/60 scale Yamato's, too.

The kit has some really interesting options and features, but it also has some proportions that look goofy to me. Especially the legs and the cannons seem thick and clunky. Even though I have one of the Captain's awesome resin kits, if it was a nice price @ $30.00 or so, I might get one, but if it's over $50 I don't think I'll be interested.

It's a shame too, because I love the destroids and would like to be able to support these projects. If they come out with a Spartan, that might be a pickup for me even at a high price.

Hobby Search and HLJ are now showing an availability of around August, but the Wave homepage still says around the end of June. Guess when I go to my local hobby shop this Saturday and reserve I'll know for sure.

I totally love the Wave vintage-style box! But for the price I think I'd rather just have the vintage kit. I don't like Wave's price and proportions, either.

Maybe they think that with the vintage style box, people will buy it mistaking it for a vintage kit since it's price at what the old ones are now selling for. :wacko:

I know you guys think I am nuts but what I think is really bothering you guys is the guns on the head/face. They are very wong, I will admit that. But its fixable. very fixable. I have already started getting my materials togeather for this thing.

Carl

Here's another page. The article is from issue 6/2010

ed358e84320876.jpg c4a87e84320937.jpg 526d8a84320980.jpg

Thank you for the info Indigo! I just can't wait to get my hands on this kit. It is expensive but Ami Ami seems like a fair deal. There is a fair amount of wonkyness to this kit but compared to the original it's a work of art.

All take care,

Ty

• 1 month later...

Here's another page. The article is from issue 6/2010

ed358e84320876.jpg c4a87e84320937.jpg 526d8a84320980.jpg

I came across some links to dealers from this year's Wonder Festival in Japan and I think this is the same guy who did the 1/72 Tomahawk build for the pics above. He's really good. Thought I would share the link in case you guys want to take a look at his build up of it.

SuS4

Take care,

Ty

Edited by TheNightclerk

• 5 weeks later...

Picked mine up today. Yes, the Tenjin artwork on the box is worth it! Well, I think the kit is worth it,too. Try posting a few photos tomorrow (it's bedtime here now).

To those interested here ya go. Pictures of the box, and parts. Looks like Hobby Search already has a scan of the instruction posted, so I didn't bother with any of that.

post-12411-128333200213_thumb.jpg

post-12411-128333201384_thumb.jpg

post-12411-128333202473_thumb.jpg

post-12411-128333203624_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Humn! I wonder what happened to the vintage-style white box art? Not that this final version is bad in any way whatsoever. I'm just curious.

Does Wave ever producer posters or larger advert fliers of box art? If so, I'll need to have a friend in Japan keep her eye out for me.

Package!

that's what she said...

That white vintage style box art was actually a part of featured article page of Dengeki Hobby Magazine.

They took a photo of acutal painted model then made to look like a model package.

It would be nice to have a large poster of those box arts.

or a tshirt! lol.