Official Bandai DX Chogokin VB-6 König Monster Thread

Funkenstein

Was the original Yamato Konig really THAT bad? I can understand any stability issues with Battroid mode but did Gerwalk mode hold up at all? I don't really care about the Shuttle or Battroid modes for the Konig in all honesty.

Personally, I hate it. Gerwalk mode is okay but it really has next to no posability, the panels on the upper legs don't go anywhere, you just sort of prop them up against an indent on the lower legs and the whole thing just kind sits there. The nose cone doesn't lock in place so it's constantly flopping down and out of the box the joints in the arms weren't tight enough so the whole arm just hung there limply.

In shuttle mode the leg/wings don't sit flush against the body because of the way the hip joint was designed.

And battroid... :(

And then the whole thing pegs together and you'll see stress marks on some of the pegs pretty much after your first transformation.

Was the original Yamato Konig really THAT bad? I can understand any stability issues with Battroid mode but did Gerwalk mode hold up at all? I don't really care about the Shuttle or Battroid modes for the Konig in all honesty.

From your perspective, no, it wouldn't be that bad. The main problems were with Battroid and Shuttle modes. Battroid tended to have severe loose joint problems (mine couldn't do anything with his arms but have them hang limply at the sides). Shuttle mode had, if I recall correctly, an assembly error where the hooks that held the legs were glued in the wrong way and caused the legs to just barely hang on and also created an unsightly gap.

::EDIT::

What eugimon said. :)

Edited by eriku

Shuttle mode had, if I recall correctly, an assembly error where the hooks that held the legs were glued in the wrong way and caused the legs to just barely hang on and also created an unsightly gap.

Can that be fixed? Haven't touched my VB-6 in years now.

So given that the other 2 modes of the Yamato Konig are absolutely terrible, how bad do the arms sag down in Gerwalk mode? I found a great deal on an original Konig but was wondering if anyone here would honestly recommend it since I only want a giant Destroid. Are the arms salvageable in Gerwalk or do they sag down just as bad as in Battroid mode? Is Gerwalk mode at least bigger than a 1/60 VF-1 Battroid?

So given that the other 2 modes of the Yamato Konig are absolutely terrible, how bad do the arms sag down in Gerwalk mode? I found a great deal on an original Konig but was wondering if anyone here would honestly recommend it since I only want a giant Destroid. Are the arms salvageable in Gerwalk or do they sag down just as bad as in Battroid mode? Is Gerwalk mode at least bigger than a 1/60 VF-1 Battroid?

the arms are easy to fix, just take apart and coat with nail polish. But they're 100% friction joints so eventually you'll have to do it again.

Honestly, I would say wait for the Bandai version. It looks like it has way more detailing and even if it ends up as floppy as the yammie, at least it will look better and has all that tampo on it. Oh yeah, the yammie has very little in the way of sculpted details and no paint or tampo applications.

To borrow from the collectionDX Quarter review, it's total fail.

Edited by eugimon

Is a miss or hit,

Have a couple of friends that have one, and the joints are loose on one and the arms sag down on gerwalk mode, my other friends koenig the arm stay in place but the legs are pretty lose.

You know if this is as nice are pose-able as the Macross quarter in batroid, and more importantly Gerwalk mode, I'll pick one up but where the heck is the VF-171 already? I would have thought we would see that VF before this.

Oh and yes from the pics we have seen so far the monster looks awesome!

Edited by logos

hmm, how big is it? will it tower above the VF-25s (even a 1/100 would tower over a 1/60 vf-25) like its supposed to?

In the tiny picture it's shown with some Robot Damashii VF's which are about 6" tall. It's just slightly bigger than that according to that picture in GERWALK mode. So, I'm going to guess the scale is about 1/144. Definitely not any bigger than 1/100.

It will tower over the Robot Spirits VF-25 toys... there's a picture there that shows them together. It looks like it will be approximately the same size as a VF-25 toy otherwise... although I'd bet the cannons will make it taller in battroid.

I'm being optimistic with this and assuming that the nosecone will hold up just fine. It should be able to peg into that big rectangular piece sticking out. I don't want to worry much about gaps and sagging parts because it's still just a prototype. If all future photos show gaps and a sagging nosecone, then we're more likely to have problems.

My biggest concern at the moment is that this thread is still subtitled "Giggitish" and we've yet to be given an explanation. :huh:

I dig the sculpt and the amount of detail, but I still think that the engineering is the same as Yamato's: The nosecone has no pegs to keep it in place so it sags in Bomber mode

look harder, it does (have pegs that is).

(hint: look at the bottom right inset pic on the second scan. you can just see the pegs inside the nose and holes in the gerwalk nose)

Well.. pegs or no pegs, the bomber nose looks like it's gonna fall off. Let's hope its just mistransformation. The cannon barrels still seem a little shorter than I hoped/imagined, and they're not hollowed out, but I guess I was asking for too much there. I'm still willing to buy it if the bomber mode turns out to not full of gaps and if gerwalk can really achieve that splayed look.

Also... if this is the MF VB-6, then... isnt it supposed to be able to drop the rear armor as a anti-recoil prop?

PS: those dont look like pegs to me.

Edited by Cent

Well.. pegs or no pegs, the bomber nose looks like it's gonna fall off. Let's hope its just mistransformation. The cannon barrels still seem a little shorter than I hoped/imagined, and they're not hollowed out, but I guess I was asking for too much there. I'm still willing to buy it if the bomber mode turns out to not full of gaps and if gerwalk can really achieve that splayed look.

Also... if this is the MF VB-6, then... isnt it supposed to be able to drop the rear armor as a anti-recoil prop?

they don't look like pegs to me either, maybe they made it so there's magnets to hold it in place.

Thanks for the info on the Yamato version everyone, I'll just save my money and await to see how the Bandai one turns out before I decide. If this version doesn't deliver hopefully it will drive the price of the Yamato Konig down so maybe I can at least get a much cheaper Konig if nothing else.

That said, does anyone know the chances of a repaint or is this pretty much going to be the only version we'll see?

The dimensions of the shuttle and battroid are rather squat. The only mode that really works for this is the GERWALK mode, but even that has it's shortcomings.

If only the overall proportions were maybe a tad longer this would look fantastic and more agressive in all three modes.

post-2246-1269528058_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1269528068_thumb.gif

Actually known VB-6 Monster variants should have this feature to do this: The Yamato VF-X2 version have the molded details to represent this feature, and even the original Mk I and IIs had this feature as well, though only The MK I's was shown to be used on screen.

arrows are pointing to holes in the gerwalk nose. inside the shuttle nose there are little tabs that look to be of corresponding size/shape/placement (circled in red)

post-4286-1269551613_thumb.jpg

Edited by anime52k8

Hmmm, I was excited because I thought Bandai had the potential to do a better job with this thing in the other modes since they did very well with the Quarter and VF-27. However I see that the same effort was not applied here. The shuttle mode just looks terrible. Looks like someone strapped on a fake nose to the shuttle. The wings are done better than the old Yamato version, but still, it could have been done better. Battroid looks bleh, I think the Yamato version looks better. The destroid mode looks more or less like equivalent to Yamato's koenig. It benefits from having the markings pre-painted, but the sculpt overall is underwhelming. There's not enough of an improvement over the Yammie for me to want to buy one. I think if the shuttle mode had at least looked good, I would have bought one to display in that mode and kept the Yammie VB-6 in gerwalk/destroid mode.

I'm not a big fan of this design in general, the concept is a bit silly but they did a good job with it in Frontier. Anyway, I'm surprised by the negative comments. The comparison of the line art to the shuttle shows a lot of promise. The line art is angled slightly more but otherwise the proportions are really close. If the final toy snaps together tightly and eliminates all those seams and performs well as a toy then I'd say the very slight liberties were all easily forgiveable. Anyone looking for this thing to have a fun or sexy battroid mode are in for a major let-down... I refuse to believe that's possible from any manufacturer... I blame Shoji.

:blink: I'm beginning to wonder if I'm looking at the same pictures as some of the people in this thread.

I mean, ignoring the nose cone gap for a second (it may not even be a problem on the final toy, I'm willing to reserve judgment until the toy comes out), I can't see how Bandai's monster is in any way NOT better than THIS

2im2ija.jpg

novwat.jpg

I'm in agreement with Jenius, Bandai's sculpt does a fine job of capturing the Frontier Koenig monster, it's probably as close as anyone's going to get to recreating the K-monster in 3D toy form.

I get the impression that people are forgetting just how Ugly the VB-6 is, and not taking into account that the hand drawn line-art can't physically be recreated in 3D.

:edited for spelling/grammar fail:

Edited by anime52k8