Super Dub Fortress Macross on Hulu

Funkenstein

"Are you just gonna sit back and let that little bitch steal him from you?" WTF!? Wow, I didn't know Claudia looked so harshly upon Minmay. I know I'd only seen a little before, but hate to say it, the Robotech voices are way better.

Yeah, that title's pretty lame.

The voices weren't too bad.. I just kept expecting Hikaru to clap his hands together and shoot lasers or something. <_<

Yeah, I just finished watching the original last week, so this is.. weird. Everyone's FAR too excited with their voices. Not to mention, the sound pretty much blows. Music's the same, but the sound effects just don't cut it.

Watched 2 episode. My first viewing of the new dub.

I'm totally glad this is up on hulu. It a chance for more people to get expose to Macross. I regret that is this dubbed version. I haven't heard every characters new dubbed voice but the ones I heard so far makes it sound like some fan dub. Was there any auditions for this or did they randomly draw a voice Actor's name out of a hat?

It makes Macross more accessible to a wider group of potential fans - particularly those with little tolerance or acceptance of subs, and its free. Win-win.

I'm amazed anyone would see anything worth kvetching about in this situation.

(The dub performances are pretty true to typical early 80s anime Japanese line delivery- painful as that may be to some folks' modern ears.)

Edited by AcroRay

(The dub performances are pretty true to typical early 80s anime Japanese line delivery- painful as that may be to some folks' modern ears.)

Sure...if that anime is Fist of the North Star or Saint Seiya...

EDIT: Actually, in general I agree with you. I think it's cool that they put it up. I don't blame Hulu for uploading the dub, I blame ADV for doing such a crappy dub in the first place. But it does have its fans, I guess... :unsure:

Edited by Gubaba

I have no problem saying that the Robotech VAs are much better. When they put Robotech together, they actually cared about what they were doing. A few of the VAs at the time, like Greg Snegoff, and Steve Kramer, were doing much more than just voices, so their work meant much more to them than it probably did for the VAs for ADV. That's not to say the VAs of ADV didn't care at all, simply that for Robotech, they had a much stronger tie to the show. Also, the fact is, is that the RT VAs simply worked. The voices fit. There's only so many places you can put Edward Elrich's voice in. Hikaru isn't one of them.

Hey, aren't we all supposed to be dead now anyways? Wasn't February 11, 2010 the day Bodolza's fleet blasts Earth from orbit?

Yeah, ANN mentioned that in their article about Macross being streamed on Hulu.

(Coincidentally, February 11, 2010 is the date within the Macross storyline of the final battle of Space War I, the main war depicted in the first Macross series.)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-...ish-dub-on-hulu

Yeah, I was amazed ANN caught that.

Youtube has it too, mostly locked out in North America (usually the last part isn't).

It just keeps getting better. "Time to dance, Milia!", "Let's tango, Max!" "Gotcha suckah" and the unneeded audio during the bombardment. Also, could someone clear up whether Station Liberty was a Robotech reference? I can't remember for certain.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

After reading this thread, I had to check this dub out... Only to fund that Hulu isn't available in my country. Darn it.

For the voice acting to be worse than RT would be quite an achievement!

HULU is locked to North America, which makes it kinda sad that we blokes from other countries can't watch. Oh well, there's always Youtube. :)

HULU is locked to North America, which makes it kinda sad that we blokes from other countries can't watch. Oh well, there's always Youtube. :)

Is all of HULU locked for North America? Or just Macross? I'm interested because I've never heard the dub and I'm curious...

Is all of HULU locked for North America? Or just Macross? I'm interested because I've never heard the dub and I'm curious...

From their Programming Info page:

For now, Hulu is a U.S. service only. That said, our intention is to make Hulu's growing content lineup available worldwide. This requires clearing the rights for each show or film in each specific geography and will take time. We're encouraged by how many content providers have already been working along these lines so that their programs can be available over the Internet to a much larger, global audience. The Hulu team is committed to making great programming available across the globe.

So it's not just Macross, they're locked in the US until they can clear the rights for each show. :(

Edited by Moly_Sigang

Yeah, I just finished watching the original last week, so this is.. weird. Everyone's FAR too excited with their voices. Not to mention, the sound pretty much blows. Music's the same, but the sound effects just don't cut it.

I too just finished Animeigo's Macross two days ago. I'm so glad I bought Animeigo.

It's striking how awful ADV's dub is. The only saving grace is Mari Iijima.

After reading this thread, I had to check this dub out... Only to fund that Hulu isn't available in my country. Darn it.

For the voice acting to be worse than RT would be quite an achievement!

Just search a bit for a decent proxy server, that ought to do it. These sites rarely have extensive protection when it's a free service.

Galactica used the maneuver from Macross were they rammed the Zentradi capital ship with the Macross in the assault on the Cylon Colony.

What is this, Non-Sequitur Theatre...?

By the way, looks like there's a lively discussion brewing in the comments section at Hulu... :ph34r:

Edited by Gubaba

It's striking how awful ADV's dub is. The only saving grace is Mari Iijima.

I wish I could really say that. Nice as it is symbolically that she did the part, actually watching it she's just part of the problem. Put one Japanese woman in a cast of North American voice actors who aren't even really feigning accents to simulate a multinational crew, and it really just stands out all the more.

The earlier comment about it being like 80s early Japanese voice acting? Maybe some, though not entirely. ADV's is definitely more exaggerated, but going back and comparing it side by side I was surprised how much shouting and overacting is in SDFM compared to how I remembered it. It's easy to miss when it's not your native language, I guess.

I wish I could really say that. Nice as it is symbolically that she did the part, actually watching it she's just part of the problem. Put one Japanese woman in a cast of North American voice actors who aren't even really feigning accents to simulate a multinational crew, and it really just stands out all the more.

Not to mention how breathy and soft she tends to be.

I'm glad I never bought the ADV DVDs when they came out. This dub is cringe-worthy. And some people actually prefer this? :blink:

To date, I've never met anyone who's actually preferred the ADV dub of Macross to the AnimEigo subs-only version when they'd actually seen both... but I imagine there are some people out there who find subtitles aren't their cup of tea and are keeping the dub voice actors employed for the time being. It's not ADV's worst work, but it's pretty damn close.