BEST Science Fiction film of all time!

taksraven

I remember when I was very young, I got a copy of Starlog magazine, and there was a letter from a reader protesting against the title of the Verornica Cartwright interview in a previous issue: "I was Raped by the Alien."

Or something like that. It's been a long, long while.

LOL Tentacle rape...

Just like M7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs3mNIu70-E

That scene is from the workprint and includes a not-too-subtle approach of the Alien with it's tail (and a silly walk that was fortunately cut), it lacks the shot of the tail going up Lambert's legs (which was actually a shot from Brett's scene). IIRC, in the shot where Ripley finds her dead mates, you can see something that could be a bloody naked leg dangling in the frame on the right.

Yeah, I've seen that scene before, including the laughable attempt at having the alien move in strange ways (Horrors! No human could crawl like that! oh, wait...). While the tail position could definitely be interpreted as phallic, it might be a leap to assume anything from that. Certainly, the beastie did more than just collapse her skull. I think not knowing what caused Lambert to make those sounds makes it all the nastier.

Just watched the scene... I think that's her arm in the foreground.

Favourite SF movie of all time would have to be ALIENS. The tough as nails marines, the fact that Ripley finds her maternal side in unexpected places, the hardware, and that final battle - "GET AWAY FROM HER, YOU BITCH!" I absolutely love it.

I watched it the other day, and it's hasn't dated badly at all.

THE FOUNTAIN is another favourite of mine that no one seems to have heard of. Beatiful themes, tragic story, and amazing visuals of a truly transcendent spaceship flying towards a distant nebula.... unforgettable...

I just watched an interesting English film called, Sunshine . Saw a limited US release in 2007. Definitely one of the better sci-fi films in the past 5 years. Part armagedon, Part Event Horizon. Very slick visuals and generally high level of polish. Great cast too, including Scarecrow from Batman!

I just watched an interesting English film called, Sunshine . Saw a limited US release in 2007. Definitely one of the better sci-fi films in the past 5 years. Part armagedon, Part Event Horizon. Very slick visuals and generally high level of polish. Great cast too, including Scarecrow from Batman!

Yeah, Sunshine is great.

Taksraven

THE FOUNTAIN is another favourite of mine that no one seems to have heard of. Beatiful themes, tragic story, and amazing visuals of a truly transcendent spaceship flying towards a distant nebula.... unforgettable...

I was very impressed by The Fountain, not only because I can personally relate to the story, but also because it's creative use of the potential of Science Fiction. Aronovski is something like today's Tarkovski. And while the drama get's a bit over the top at the end of the movie (in the Maya scene), I can enjoy it for the actors, the color composition, and the cinematography alone.

I read that the dying star was not CGI, but microscope photography of chemical reactions.

I really enjoyed this one too. Not really surprising since it was directed by Danny Boyle of Trainspotting fame...