BEST Science Fiction film of all time!

taksraven

Too new. You've got to wait a while to see if the movie stands the test of time. :)

Very True! B))

I'll add the new 2009 STAR TREK movie as well. I'll be honest I was never a real of series, well ever. After seeing this flick I am now and its one of my new favorites.

But the guy who wrote the short story that Soylent Green was based on (I *think* it was Harry Harrison, but I'm too lazy to make sure right now. I know the sotry was called "Make Room! Make Room!" though) pointed out how silly the concept of the movie was...after all, when he put "soylent" into the story, the idea was that it was made from soy and lentils, which are cheaper and easier to process into food than people would be.

You could also say the author wasn't bold enough to take his concept one step further.

And you can't be serious calling "Neuromancer" un-cinematic. While it may not have minute descriptions, it is full of very visual ideas.

As for sophisticated SF movies, I think that "Children of Men" is one of the few that I can recommend to adults.

For me, the purpose of Science Fiction is to make a projection into the future to explore how technology can affect us as individuals, society or civilization.

In that spirit I'd say that SW has more to do with the Heroic Fantasy than Science Fiction genres IMHO (same reason why Battle Beyond the Stars is just Seven Samurais in space as Keith cleverly put it). Same for the Alien franchise that in my book is closer to the Horror genre.

I think what defines the genre of a piece is not what you see in the piece but what the piece is about. For me Blade Runner is the quintessential Sci-Fi film (although there are many other movies that fit the bill quite nicely, but I'm such a BR fan). It not only takes elements from the Noir genre, it takes the whole structure of it, and yet it's a movie about fictional technology and how it affects our society and ourselves. Besides it's such a beautifully crafted movie, which adds to the "Best Science Fiction Movie" part :)

I'll be in the minority and vote for A Clockwork Orange.

Good call.

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

For me, the purpose of Science Fiction is to make a projection into the future to explore how technology can affect us as individuals, society or civilization.

I don't think it necessarily has to be about the future, even. Look at the steampunk or alternate history genres. Nor does technology have to be the lynchpin (there are many examples, but The Lathe of Heaven is the one that just sprang to mind, so that's one I'll cite).

But other than that...yeah, I agree. ^_^

Good call.

I wouldn't call it the BEST, but A Clockwork Orange is certainly up there.

My gut feeling would be "Back to the Future". Just because it's plain fun and pure sc-fi.

Thinking of quality then I'd say Blade Runner and Twelve Monkeys, both movies breathe atmosphere. Which is probably why I'm more of a Riddley Scott fan over Cameron and prefer Gilliam over Kubrick.

Special mention goes to the Fifth Element. *Multipass* Got to love Leeloo

In that spirit I'd say that SW has more to do with the Heroic Fantasy than Science Fiction genres IMHO (same reason why Battle Beyond the Stars is just Seven Samurais in space as Keith cleverly put it). Same for the Alien franchise that in my book is closer to the Horror genre.

I think what defines the genre of a piece is not what you see in the piece but what the piece is about. For me Blade Runner is the quintessential Sci-Fi film (although there are many other movies that fit the bill quite nicely, but I'm such a BR fan). It not only takes elements from the Noir genre, it takes the whole structure of it, and yet it's a movie about fictional technology and how it affects our society and ourselves. Besides it's such a beautifully crafted movie, which adds to the "Best Science Fiction Movie" part :)

Oh come on. Of course Star Wars was fantasy! ... But it became sci-fi when the Force became midichlorians. :p

Seriously now, I don't like to pigeonhole movies into specific categories too much. So one movie is Sci fi. Doesn't mean it can't also be fantasy. and vice versa. Most movies and stories have elements that overlap between sci fi and fantasy and other genres. Heck, even some hardcore fantasies have a bit of underlying sci-fi in them. The Shanarra series come to mind, all of which takes place in a distant post-apocalytpic world ruled by science. For that matter, the Visionaries (old cartoon) is the same. It's fantasy premised on the absence of science -- so in a way, it shows how science affected the future in the long run.

Vanilla Sky was a good example. For that matter, also Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Primarily human dramas/love stories. But the impact of the technology on the story is undeniable, so much so that you can't deny that it's also Sci Fi by definition.

For that matter, the Visionaries (old cartoon) is the same. It's fantasy premised on the absence of science -- so in a way, it shows how science affected the future in the long run.

that brought back memories of carefree days:

"By nature's hand, by craft, by art, what once was one now fly apart!"

"Three suns aligned pour forth their light, and fill the archer's bow with might!"

or the even more epic tagalog dubs:

"Humanay ang tatlong araw, nagsabog ng kanilang ilaw,at pinuno ng lakas ang PANA!"

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Major Focker

The cast and crew of The Fifth Element must've had a blast working on it, because it's such a fun movie to watch. It also had JC Mezieres ahead of the art department, which is one of my favorite Sci-Fi authors of all time.

it must pop POP POP!!! so tomorrow between 5 to 7 will you pleeese act like you have more than a 2 word voabulareeeee!!!

Dark City is very under-rated but very cool, especially all the plot twists (the entire movie is like a string of plot twists).

I especially like the Directors cut. See it if you haven't. It corrects some of the mistakes in the film. The mistakes weren't by the director though, it was the studio mucking things about, thinking it knew better.

Taksraven

My gut feeling would be "Back to the Future". Just because it's plain fun and pure sc-fi.

Back to the Future does tick a lot of the boxes, thats for sure, and it has a timeless quality to it. Its non-offensive and it achieves this without being sickly sweet. A rare achievement.

Taksraven

Theres a couple of very easy ways to tell if a particular work is science fiction or not.

Method One: if mainstream critics like it, but use phrases like "...despite this, its not science fiction", then its science fiction.

Method two: if any of the production team use phrases like "...its not science fiction, it a very grounded, human-orientated drama", then its science fiction.

:lol:

[quote name='electric indigo' date='Feb 10 2010, 10:27 PM' post='828938'

As for sophisticated SF movies, I think that "Children of Men" is one of the few that I can recommend to adults.

I think "Children of Men" will one day be thought of as one of the great S&F movies. At the very least its one of the best of the 21st century.

Dark City is very under-rated but very cool, especially all the plot twists (the entire movie is like a string of plot twists).

Yep, a truly great movie.

Screw the Matrix, this movie did the

"living in a false world thing"

in a way more disturbing way.

Yep, a truly great movie.

Screw the Matrix, this movie did the

"living in a false world thing"

in a way more disturbing way.

My favourite Dark City story is the one that I think Proyas told when it was released. The story goes that he wanted Dennis Potter to work with him on the script. Potter sent a letter of refusal due to illness (he was dying), but the letter was a nice one where he essentially said that the script was brilliant but Proyas was mad and would never get it filmed.

This is why the film is dedicated to Potter.

Theres a couple of very easy ways to tell if a particular work is science fiction or not.

Method One: if mainstream critics like it, but use phrases like "...despite this, its not science fiction", then its science fiction.

Method two: if any of the production team use phrases like "...its not science fiction, it a very grounded, human-orientated drama", then its science fiction.

:lol:

and the all-important Method Three:

Oscar voter: "Wow. This is a great movie! Probably the best i've seen ever. Amazing visuals, mind-blowing plot, unexpected twists, and a deep message about the future of the human race. THIS is what watching movies is all about!! .... but, it doesn't deserve an Oscar."

-- THEN it's sci-fi. :p

I just finished watching MOON. Does this movie fall into the worst or Best Scifi movie category?

Maybe I need to watch it again, but I feel like I just watched a movie with an interesting premise, a great actor and very impressive visuals. Then there was the ending, very weak finish.

But maybe I'm asking too much...all the classics of SF literature are resolutely un-cinematic, from the Foundation Trilogy (which is almost all dialogue and very little action).....

DA DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

Taksraven

faith in the writer, but the director is bit hmmmmmmm...

working with a classic here.

Yes. A classic that is a collection of short stories. Which that span nearly 500 years. And have very little action, but lots of working out of thorny logic problems. And have no fleshed-out characters, just a lot of talking heads who debate endlessly. And after hundreds of pages (or a thousand or two, depending on if you include the '80s/'90s sequelss and prequels), STILL come to no definitive "conclusion."

Yeah, that's a promising base on which to build a big-budget summer blockbuster. <_<

Yes. A classic that is a collection of short stories. Which that span nearly 500 years. And have very little action, but lots of working out of thorny logic problems. And have no fleshed-out characters, just a lot of talking heads who debate endlessly. And after hundreds of pages (or a thousand or two, depending on if you include the '80s/'90s sequelss and prequels), STILL come to no definitive "conclusion."

Yeah, that's a promising base on which to build a big-budget summer blockbuster. <_<

Emmerich will probaly fit in some completely unrelated "let's destroy a large city footage" and have a scantily clad starlet impressing us with her acting skills.

Emmerich will probaly fit in some completely unrelated "let's destroy a large city footage" and have a scantily clad starlet impressing us with her acting skills.

Well...the Foundation books DO have the largest city imaginable...but it's already been stolen by George Lucas and its name was changed from "Trantor" to "Coruscant." ;)