Yamato 1/60 VF-19 Fire Valkyrie

UN Spacy

I just noticed that the hand plate armor on the Yamato is all red but on the bandai and artwork, only a small "grate" on the hand armor is colored red on an otherwise all black hand. Is it possible to correct it, Graham?

I was looking back and saw I originally posted about the hand plates back in January. I'd feel letdown if they didn't change the hands to the correct color...

I'm now really glad that I pre-ordered it. Thanks Graham for the super quick review. I hope your surgery goes well and you have a quick recovery.

Me too! I know it sounds weird, but I can't wait until amiami asks me for the money :p

I’m not really sure I understand all the fuss about the hand plates. Personally, I don’t care very much for it.

For the various pictures we’ve seen so far we know that the hand plates sculpt is correct. Graham’s just said they have a black stripe on them now. That makes me think that Yamato’s chosen this pattern for some aesthetic reason rather than a technical one, whatever it is.

As Graham has pointed out, this will probably be the best Macross toy ever –disregarding whether you like it or not the M7 show, Basara, the valk’s colour or even its design. That means this toy’s great in terms of proportions, transformablility, tightness, articulations, gimmicks, details, etc.

IMHO, if you like the toy and you want it you cannot feel disappointed for something as insignificant as the colour of a little bit of the hands. The red knuckle guard and the black stripe are there. You really don’t like the rest in red? Paint it blak!

post-12283-0-94407600-1305102840_thumb.jpg

I’m not really sure I understand all the fuss about the hand plates. Personally, I don’t care very much for it.

For the various pictures we’ve seen so far we know that the hand plates sculpt is correct. Graham’s just said they have a black stripe on them now. That makes me think that Yamato’s chosen this pattern for some aesthetic reason rather than a technical one, whatever it is.

As Graham has pointed out, this will probably be the best Macross toy ever –disregarding whether you like it or not the M7 show, Basara, the valk’s colour or even its design. That means this toy’s great in terms of proportions, transformablility, tightness, articulations, gimmicks, details, etc.

IMHO, if you like the toy and you want it you cannot feel disappointed for something as insignificant as the colour of a little bit of the hands. The red knuckle guard and the black stripe are there. You really don’t like the rest in red? Paint it blak!

post-12283-0-94407600-1305102840_thumb.jpg

I can see where you're coming from, and while I have had to paint certain figures to my liking, they ran roughly $20. For me, it seems inconsistent that Yamato had 4-5 paint schemes to match the official color but then not have certain parts "anime accurate." If it is because of Yamato's aesthetic view that this looks better, why was there such hoopla for everything "anime accurate." Also, for the amount this is going for, it feels annoying that the buyer would have to alter it himself/herself - $20 is one thing but paying $220 and then have to correct their error seems wrong. Finally, my skills as a modeler/customizer are limited, meaning matching the color of the gloss/flat black with the rest of the figure and applying the paint evenly while also making sure it doesn't scratch off is quite difficult.

Just to clarify, I'm just explaining my stance on this, not trying to be confrontational or whiny.

Edited by AlphaOne

Yeah. I don't really agree with "if you like the toy and you want it you cannot feel disappointed for something as insignificant as the colour of a little bit of the hands", because the reason I like the toy and want it is because I thought it would be absolutely perfect... But, never mind. It's not just that, there are also uncertainties regarding the intakes, etc.

At the end of the day, I know all too well by now that with Macross toys it's all about "settling" for something, and being prepared to fix it when you open the box.

Any toy that is this costly can definitely start many debates. Yamato should do this or they didn't do that. This thread reminds me of the 1/60 YF-19. We oohhhed and ahhhhed, creating a positive vibe but later on after the release we started to be more negative. Feedback and reviews is always a healthy thing but knowing us MWers we are meticulous.

Simple solution: If there is a toy that has either one or two minute details that bugs the heck out me - I wouldn't get it whether it is 20.00 or 200.00. Even I had to make a pass for 1/72 YF-19 simply because it was too chunky. After waiting for years the 1/60 finally was a dream come true. Was it perfect? - No, but compared to the 1/72 it's imperfections made it perfect to me.

For those who are meticulous or in doubt - I suggest holding up for the time being. The first production run has been made so there really isn't anything we can do but confirm and weigh the positives vs negatives. Yamato changed the colour and tightened the joints for the new packaged YF-19. Who's to say it won't happen again? Or perhaps there will be a Sound Booster Bundle with the Kai. For those who are true fans of this particular Valkyrie - It's obvious this is currently the best looking Kai toy on the market ever so your choice is simple: to buy or not to buy. That is question.

Buying a new Yamato Valkyrie is a lot like dating and marrying your girlfriend. She will attract you and you will he happy in the beginning, but as time goes along you see the little things that bother you. It's whether you can respect or accept the little things and live with them that makes her worth marrying. ;)

Cheers~~~

Edited by Isamu Dyson

:mellow: Of all the metaphors... really? :huh::p

Hehe...Looking at your injured list - I would say your a hopeless romantic who keeps looking for the right gal but keeps getting owned. You have good luck with the bigger gals..umm valks though but no sweat, all is not lost - I think this Very Fine 19 year old may "Fire" your passion for marriage at first sight. :p Did that make any sense or did I set myself up again? :huh:

Edited by Isamu Dyson

Well, lesee.. if I recall correctly, we've already had most other major appendages either outright snap off, or have their joints shatter. All that's left is for the head to explode. ^_^

On the other hand, given the opinion some people have of the face on this one, I'd be highly suspicious of mass reports that their heads either broke off, exploded, or went missing (especially after the F or S variants are released).

On yet another hand, I also would not be surprised if we see actual cases of the head on this VF-19 either exploding or being blown off by overly fanatical Basara haters. :p

Well, lesee.. if I recall correctly, we've already had most other major appendages either outright snap off, or have their joints shatter. All that's left is for the head to explode. ^_^

On the other hand, given the opinion some people have of the face on this one, I'd be highly suspicious of mass reports that their heads either broke off, exploded, or went missing (especially after the F or S variants are released).

On yet another hand, I also would not be surprised if we see actual cases of the head on this VF-19 either exploding or being blown off by overly fanatical Basara haters. :p

I believe this will be largely mitigated by the inclusion of the cover for it's "lips". Should make it look like a more normal VF. I know my lip cover won't ever be coming off.

I know my lip cover won't ever be coming off.

Argh. You know, if these euphemisms/irresistible-opportunities-for-jokes continue I know I'll have an exploding head before the toy even comes out. :p

Argh. You know, if these euphemisms/irresistible-opportunities-for-jokes continue I know I'll have an exploding head before the toy even comes out. :p

But the lip cover shields you from exploding heads! :ph34r:

lol'ed at this! :D

btw, I agree with Isamu. If I'm going to be nitpicking with this vf19 kai, I would be better off waiting for a more 'eye-pleasing' variant to come out. I'm not a completist, so I can afford to wait this one out.

Again, it's just about personal preferences.

Speaking of which....

Does anybody know why Yamato decided to choose "street clothed" Basara over his "band" outfit? Did Yamato take a poll of some sort to decide? I certainly hope Yamato won't make a limited edition version with the same exact Valkyrie but with a different Basara pilot. That would be the worst kind of milking for a $250.00 plus toy. However I do hope they add a band outfit Basara to the Soundbooster set.

From the pics I see Basara's guitar is not correctly scaled, it's too thick and short.

Piece of crap, not gonna buy this VF-19!!

:lol:

Speaking of which....

Does anybody know why Yamato decided to choose "street clothed" Basara over his "band" outfit? Did Yamato take a poll of some sort to decide? I certainly hope Yamato won't make a limited edition version with the same exact Valkyrie but with a different Basara pilot. That would be the worst kind of milking for a $250.00 plus toy. However I do hope they add a band outfit Basara to the Soundbooster set.

Maybe we're given two pilots for this release?

Not confirmed nor denied, so it's still possible.

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

Unfortunately, as the sample was late and I only received it yesterday, I'm not sure I will ne able to get a review done in time, as I'm in hospital on Thursday for a few days for some minor surgery :(

Graham

Hi Graham,

Hope its nothing major, wishing you a speedy recovery !