Yamato 1/60 VF-19 Fire Valkyrie

UN Spacy

Looks like they might not have done ball jointed hips on this one, and went with the same dual-pivot type of hip seen on the Hi-Metal. I'm kind of glad actually, since the ball jointed hip design on the YF-19 was one of its weakest points.

And for something like this design, I think making a few parts swap out is well justified. The extra parts really do improve the hips and neck, though I may not use them myself. The shield though I'm not sure about.. Unless the mounting points are different, I don't see why you couldn't just use the anime accurate one in fighter mode as well. It might not cover the arms as well, but it's one less part to keep track of.

I can't wait to see an actual plastic one. ^_^

[...] I think making a few parts swap out is well justified. The extra parts really do improve the hips and neck, though I may not use them myself. The shield though I'm not sure about.. Unless the mounting points are different, I don't see why you couldn't just use the anime accurate one in fighter mode as well. It might not cover the arms as well, but it's one less part to keep track of.

I can't wait to see an actual plastic one. ^_^

Yes, you are right, the anime accurate shield is correct for battroid mode but it is not for fighter mode for it does not cover the arms, leading to a very gappy fuselage. Just like this:

post-12283-129726322035_thumb.jpg

So I guess the other shield is also anime accurate for fighter mode.

I can't wait to see an actual plastic one with its actual colours either. So far it is looking soooo good!

post-12283-129726340917_thumb.jpg

The extra parts are a nice touch.

It's kinda hard to please all the fans. Some want the perfect transformation. Some want the more anime magic accurate toy.

Yamato will please both this way. Pretty genius.

Edited by ae_productions

The extra parts are a nice touch.

It's kinda hard to please all the fans. Some want the perfect transformation. Some want the more anime magic accurate toy.

Yamato will please both this way. Pretty genius.

The funny thing is that till Yamato started its Macross line I think we had never had neither perfect transformation stuff nor really anime magic accurate toys.

I'm a bit confused by all the new pics and stuff. Does the Yamato have pretty similar parts-formation to the Bandai Hi-Metal (with exception to the head)? I guess the only one part that would bother me is the one in front of the head in fighter mode... all the optional leg parts and arm shield swap out are optional so no biggy.

Edited by jenius

Funny to see everyone so receptive to the extra parts on a large-scale-supposedly-Perfect-Transformation toy. Where'd all the hate go? (^.^;) Looking at the Yamato VF-1 integrated heatshields, I would have expected Yamato to have engineered something.

But, on the bright side, I guess it's kinda forgivable since it doesn't have any intake covers. (..and simce I'm a fan of the Fire Valk I'll buy it regardless)(^o^)

Also, I suppose the head lasers can't pivot outwards? Hm...

Edited by Actar

I hope the final plastiquy version (without photoshop), will look as sharp and nice as this picture, which the "money in the bag" done deal pic. Wow. And parts-former to make it look better, why not, bring it on. If you really dont want it, dont put on the extras. I still want to see the gun (might not put it on, but heck, still want to see it), and wouldnt have minded if the red was a bit darker, but oh well, i can live with it.

Now the big question is at this point: What will the price be???

After that, the question becomes, What about the tightness, dont want another vf-0s 1st version loosy goossy.

Funny to see everyone so receptive to the extra parts on a large-scale-supposedly-Perfect-Transformation toy. Where'd all the hate go? (^.^;) Looking at the Yamato VF-1 integrated heatshields, I would have expected Yamato to have engineered something.

But, on the bright side, I guess it's kinda forgivable since it doesn't have any intake covers. (..and simce I'm a fan of the Fire Valk I'll buy it regardless)(^o^)

Also, I suppose the head lasers can't pivot outwards? Hm...

Because none of those things are necessary for the transformation. You can keep the other shield on, you can choose one face plate, you can leave the gaps in the legs (like on the yf-19)... Those are extra parts where as on the hi metal version you need to take parts on or off to actually transform it. That's a big difference.

It looks to me like the intake covers are an insert but maybe the mechanism that allows the LERX to slide down is occupying the space that would have otherwise been used for the intake detail. If that's the case, I much prefer the correct leg position.

how? Are you saying it's some sort of lynch pin that holds the fighter mode together?

Necessary means, making it look decent. Shield isn't too noticeable. Leg panels are on the back, so that's ignorable. The neck cover however is necessary. Otherwise, there would be a gaping hole on the top of the plane that isn't ignorable no matter how you spin it. But yeah, it isn't the 'lynch pin that holds the transformation together'.

If you go by your logic, then the Hi-Metal also doesn't have any 'essential extra parts'.

For a small scale like the Hi-Metal, a removable neck cover is acceptable, but for Yamato? I had higher expectations. I mean, technically, even the YF-19 had a sliding neck cover, as crappy as it was.

I think one can still comparable it to a detachable heat shield.

That's exactly the point. Yamato's 1/60 VF-1s all had integrated heatshields which blew my mind. It's YAMATO. They make perfect transformers. Look at the YF-21. Anime magic, but still realized in true 3-D with zero extra parts (sans intake covers of course).

Edited by Actar

Isn't there a big hole if it's not there where you'd see the back end of the neck?

And having the neck exposed (like on the yf-19) breaks fightermode for you the same way not having half of the head, head fin and laser does?

I'm about as likely to have the Hi-Metal displayed in Battroid without the parts of its head attached as I am to have the Yamato displayed in fighter mode without the neck covered... but I'm pretty easy-going on my definition of "perfect transformation" so it's hardly the end of the world for me.

Isn't there a big hole if it's not there where you'd see the back end of the neck?

Yamato’s doesn’t include the neck cover in this drawing and it looks like an YF-19 neck –it won’t be an issue if they release a V.2 YF-19.

post-12283-129727942645_thumb.jpg

Dealing with anime magic must direct you to some degree of compromise. For instance, in the case of the YF-21 it was the thin legs, that pretty much everybody accepted in exchange of an overall great toy. I guess it wouldn’t be a problem to hide a neck cover in an 18m long plane, but here we are talking of millimetres in a toy already full of little tiny mechanisms for a very complicated transformation. I don’t care about a detachable neck cover if what I get is the best ever rendition of a transformable VF-19. Would’ve been better if it wasn’t the case? No doubt, but I always have a little box for every one of my VFs where I keep their missiles, intake covers, extra hands, super parts, etc., so not a big deal for me.

Edited by Reïvaj

I'm a bit confused by all the new pics and stuff. Does the Yamato have pretty similar parts-formation to the Bandai Hi-Metal (with exception to the head)? I guess the only one part that would bother me is the one in front of the head in fighter mode... all the optional leg parts and arm shield swap out are optional so no biggy.

I think the part in front of the head is optional.

It kind of sucks that it has small filler pieces, but what's important is that we're also getting leg missile launchers, landing gear, a gunpod that stows in fighter mode and hands that can form a fist all in the first run and without having to buy an overpriced web exclusive 2~3 months after the toy came out. :D

I think the part in front of the head is optional.

Yes, it seems there are two types of optional here. You could say all the parts on the Hi-Metal Bandai are optional also if you don't mind the Battroid looking like it just got done a long battle with cancer. So there's the "optional but you're going to want to use it" like the Hi-Metal head parts and the neck cover on the Yamato and then there's the "you will probably leave those in the box" like the various leg pieces on both toys.

I am still really looking forward to this toy. I'd love to have it in hand now to get an appreciation for why it needs the extra parts with how well engineered everything else likely is.

It's still PT, it just comes with some extra parts to make it look even better =P. I don't mind at all if this is the new direction Yamato will take, especially approaching heavily-anime-magic fighters. Just make sure the parts are of the same plastic or at least have the same shade of coloring as the rest of the plane =P. Don't need a Bandai crisis in here.

Well that IS impressive! No close ups on fighter which is a bit surprising. Also no Basara in the cockpit, and I'm really curious for a good look at him.

the removable parts...I'll probably leave one shield in place, whichever I think looks best in both modes. I'm thinking the square one, but I'll see when I own the plane.

The leg covers I might use, I'm not sure. The neck cover will almost certainly be something I use though. And I don't really plan to ever change the faces so that's not a big deal for me.

I still dig the Valk :)

You know what would really impress me? If Yamato where to design the missile bays in the legs such that there was space to put all of the extra parts like the face and neck/leg panels. If most or all of the spare parts/accessories can store on the toy instead of rattling around in a box somewhere, this will officially be the greatest toy ever. ^_^

Well that IS impressive! No close ups on fighter which is a bit surprising. Also no Basara in the cockpit, and I'm really curious for a good look at him.

the removable parts...I'll probably leave one shield in place, whichever I think looks best in both modes. I'm thinking the square one, but I'll see when I own the plane.

The leg covers I might use, I'm not sure. The neck cover will almost certainly be something I use though. And I don't really plan to ever change the faces so that's not a big deal for me.

I still dig the Valk :)

Yamato's site indicates that the pictures are of the same toy they exposed at Wonderfest in battroid mode, there are quite a few pics of it in previous pages of this thread.

Here you are a picture of the VF-19KAI in battroid mode with the square shield and no leg covers.

post-12283-129729823379_thumb.jpg

From my point of view it’s not as bad as to not to thank Yamato for the not-absolutely-necessary-but-still-very-nice extras.

I think it’s a great toy and I’m looking forward to getting it. I want to have all the heroe VFs, no matter how much Basara is of an annoying selfish jerk.