Macross Reboot

Ghost Train

What's to clear up? Hikaru said it himself in episode 16: "Minmay's cousin - I mean, her uncle's son - has come back."

Yes but what we want to know is was it her mothers brother. If it was is he called Bob ?

What's to clear up? Hikaru said it himself in episode 16: "Minmay's cousin - I mean, her uncle's son - has come back."

TV Tropes: Incest is Relative

Yeah squiky. But with most of humanity wiped out it probably doesn't matter anymore.

Makes one wonder if the hereditary diseases among clone children mentioned, the reason why cloning was banned in 2030 is Genetic Sexual Attraction run amok.

In the way this thread develops I'm quite happy that Kawamori does not do the same thing twice. If the average of fan tastes would decide we'd end up with an SDFM remake in the form of an echi show like Queens blade with Valkyries... :lol:

I thought it was funny too. Who got it before they spelled it out for you?

I was thinking that it was all to familiar and then as I was geting to the last paragraph I though Luke mmm!

Kinda like when you first saw The Sixth Sense, after you saw it, everything is so obvious.

In the way this thread develops I'm quite happy that Kawamori does not do the same thing twice. If the average of fan tastes would decide we'd end up with an SDFM remake in the form of an echi show like Queens blade with Valkyries... :lol:

Is this [Macross] a ship of Valkyries?

—Q, Star Trek Voyager

My fiance refuses to watch Macross. It was made a couple years before she was born so I can imagine that it looks like a terrible old cartoon to her. MacZero was no problem, even MacPlus she can stomach a bit, but if I throw on the original she's out. I know how she feels too. I've watched original episodes of Voltron, Transformers, and Thundercats and I cringed. So I would support a reboot because I do think it'd bring a lot of new fans. I hope they wait another ten years though so I can get my kids into it (that's the timeframe I'm guessing would be necessary).

My fiance refuses to watch Macross. It was made a couple years before she was born so I can imagine that it looks like a terrible old cartoon to her. MacZero was no problem, even MacPlus she can stomach a bit, but if I throw on the original she's out. I know how she feels too. I've watched original episodes of Voltron, Transformers, and Thundercats and I cringed. So I would support a reboot because I do think it'd bring a lot of new fans. I hope they wait another ten years though so I can get my kids into it (that's the timeframe I'm guessing would be necessary).

Is macross Appropriate for a five to six year old boy to watch. I was thinking about buying nephews Robotech I know it is horrible but that is the only way to give them Macross.

I am thinking about this because I was over at my sisters house watching them, and I was watching Astroplan on line and one of the boys asked me what that was and could he watch it with me thankfully he did not push the issue.

What is the greater problem watching Robotech and being hooked on some form of Macross be it a mutant form, or for them finding about Giant robots on the Internet.

I definitely think Macross or Robotech is fine for a 5 year old to watch. Primarily because all of the adult content they're not really going to follow and they don't need to at that age. Robotech is perfect for a kid that age since they won't delve past a superficial level and see all the big story problems that were created when the series were mended together. I'm sure the kids will find there way to media with far worse depictions of violence. Hopefully the 5 year old would like it and want to watch it again when they were like 8 or 10 and there you go, a new addict for the club :)

The excitement generated around pachinko game was for the new animation, but I'd be a lot happier with a new story to go along with it, not the re-telling of a story I already enjoy. The original storyline was good enough to capture all of us the first time around--"tweaking" it is just going to annoy someone, somewhere and cause general annoyance.

Well the one benefit is that it would free BigWest from any entanglements with Tatsunoko and by extension HG.

Since according to Kawamori, SDFM is mearly a TV show based on the historical events of actual Macross history, then you really can't deviate very far from the historical events of SW1. Minmay HAS to be in it, and various other characters as well. How it is told and from who's point of view is up to dramatic interpretation... B))

I'm sure the Canonites hate it when that is pointed out... :p However, I'd wager a bet that the Gundam staff wish they'd thought of it first! Then the various reboots of Gundam could be justified... :lol:

Edited by Zinjo

Silly kids, Shoji already did a Macross reboot. It's titled Basquash. :p All the elements are there: Fast-moving mecha, Music and Idols playing a key role in the plot, a love triangle (and one of them an Idol, of course), a giant, giants going against the mechas, space travel, and even protoculture. :D

Edited by dreamweaver13

Was it good though? Something about the preview screamed Space Jam to me, for whatever reason.

I can say that I enjoyed it. :) I don't think it's for everyone. But it certainly was for me, seeing that I finished the 26 ep series in a span of 2 days, which i usually don't do anymore. And no, not anything like space jam. :)

And if anything, Aya Endo (Sheryl) and Megumi Nakajima (Ranka)have voice roles there. Good luck in recognizing their voices, though. ;)

Edited by dreamweaver13

I'd have no problem either way. The original is great, with okay animation and solid storyline.

If however, they did redo it, it would be awesome with new paint and CGI. But please, keep the original

voices, and keep the characters as recognizable as possible.

But please, keep the original

voices...

Therein lies a big, big problem. Because not only are the animation and designs dated, but a lot of the dialogue is, too. You could redesign everything to look ultra-sleek and modern, but if everyone's still talking like it's 1982, what're ya gonna do?

*grabs tomato shield*

How about a SDF-1 Macross side-story, in form of a short 3-4 parter OAV?

Tell a violent, realistic war-story through the eyes of other VF pilots.

Or we can go Star Trek (2009), involve time travel, there by ruining the original cast and crew as we have come to know them.

Hikaru will be a drunken destroid pilot, Roy will be an 18yr old PC hacker, Max will be shot down during his first mission, and Kakizaki will lead the Skull Squadron to victory with Reba West as Minmey.

I think I just came up with the basic premise to the live action Robotech movie...

*runs for dear life*

Seriously though. No reboots, no remakes, and no george-lucas-ifying (adding new scenes and visuals) please. :)

Look forward, not back.

Bring on the VF-30's!

*grabs tomato shield*

How about a SDF-1 Macross side-story, in form of a short 3-4 parter OAV?

Tell a violent, realistic war-story through the eyes of other VF pilots.

Or we can go Star Trek (2009), involve time travel, there by ruining the original cast and crew as we have come to know them.

Hikaru will be a drunken destroid pilot, Roy will be an 18yr old PC hacker, Max will be shot down during his first mission, and Kakizaki will lead the Skull Squadron to victory with Reba West as Minmey.

I think I just came up with the basic premise to the live action Robotech movie...

*runs for dear life*

Seriously though. No reboots, no remakes, and no george-lucas-ifying (adding new scenes and visuals) please. :)

Look forward, not back.

Bring on the VF-30's!

Your idea of telling a story through the eyes of other VF Pilots works for me. So no tomato's from me on that one! B))

But please, keep the original

voices...

Therein lies a big, big problem. Because not only are the animation and designs dated, but a lot of the dialogue is, too. You could redesign everything to look ultra-sleek and modern, but if everyone's still talking like it's 1982, what're ya gonna do?

If they did a re-animate... I'd like to see everthing the same...

But if it's Macross the First then new everything would be more appopriate. I don't want to see anything but 'The First' though. I just love the consolidation and updates of the story.

Did they update the dates on the manga? I can't be the same right? The VF-1 heads on those are awful though. Keep the original.

Did they update the dates on the manga? I can't be the same right?

Nope. Even in Macross the First, the Macross crashed in 1999, and the story is set ten years later. ^_^

The VF-1 heads on those are awful though. Keep the original.

Yeah, I'm not too fond of the 1D head, either. The VF-1S looks just fine, however:

post-939-1265598553_thumb.jpg

Well, if it required redoing the voices as well, then forget it. Kowomori would never go for that. The best you could do would be to tweek the voices with audio software to make them sound more natural and fluid and basically clean up the audio tracks.

Well, if it required redoing the voices as well, then forget it. Kowomori would never go for that. The best you could do would be to tweek the voices with audio software to make them sound more natural and fluid and basically clean up the audio tracks.

OK, YOU wouldn't go for that.

Kawamori is OK with a lot more than many of his fans give him credit for.

To him, the Macross productions are simply dramatic stories of historical events in the Macross universe.

Therefore, little is sacred... B))

Scenario: it is 2013. Humanity miraculously survived the 2012 Mayan Zombie Alien Nibiru Invasion Apocalypse, . . Astro Plan has won an academy award for best foreign animated film. We are still waiting for HL2 episode 3.... but Shoji Kawamori has gone further into the deep end, Macross will be rebooted.

The true sight that Kawamori has lost it that he teams up With Carl Macek. Allowing Macek to have full control over the series "... grabbing the bull by horns" as Macek says in an interview.

During production Macek is "elected" president of the United States with Frank Agrama as the head of the treasury

The resulting series is so mediocre that Japan declares war upon the United States. Japan wins the war due there technological superiority ie the "Gundam "statues". That and the United States army being poorly funded because of Agrama's proposal to give to "various charities".

After the war it is discovered that Kawamori had been brain washed into allowing such actions take place. Feeling as he has betrayed the world he writes many stories including the final moments of Megaroad-01, solving all love triangles within the Macross universe itself.

As the world embraces macross for all that it is peace sets in and the world becomes united.

Japan wins the war due there technological superiority ie the "Gundam "statues". That and the United States army being poorly funded because of Agrama's proposal to give to "various charities".

After the war it is discovered that Kawamori had been brain washed into allowing such actions take place. Feeling as he has betrayed the world he writes many stories including the final moments of Megaroad-01, solving all love triangles within the Macross universe itself.

As the world embraces macross for all that it is peace sets in and the world becomes united.

Nah. We'd pop 'em with a couple of 'reflex' warheads and that would be that. Besides, peace is bad for business.