Macross Reboot

Ghost Train

I would go the Gundam treatment: 3 movies condensing the SDFM story and here and there updating some less then well animated parts but keeping everything else intact to atract new viewers.

But... to celebrate the launch with these movies, I'd like to see a prequel to Macross. And I'm not taking M0.

A classic space opera set in the time of the Protoculture revolving around the adventures of the crew of the protoculture exploration ship Gosroth that will eventually end up on earth. Set againt the slow collaps of the old stellar republic with massive Zentradi and Supervision army fleets duking it out, fleshing out the lore of Macross. \

hey, I can dream...

Edited by Bri

I really like the idea (mentioned several times) of just keeping the original story, character, and mechanical designs, and just animating them better. I think character designs have gone downhill since the 80s' (opinion only).. meanwhile a lot of the valkyrie animation in original macross was just bad.. disproportionate, comical, etc... I would hate to have macross go to CG tho.. even if it meant doing it all in CG and then painstakingly redrawing everything on top of the cg.. (This IS a 'dream' thread right) I'd just like to see a more 'perfect' original macross series.

A bit of polish and updated aminmation. Also bit more back story on the Zerntran side of things. Update the tech, I mean in 1984 the internet was not arround and mobile phones were only just begining, they were real scifi stuff. Give it a DYRL feel as its more edgy, less smulchy singing breaks and more Deculture!!

Edited by big F

Firmly in the no remakes/reboots camp. Lightning doesn't strike twice.

Wouldn't mind though if the next Macross story takes place place just some years after the Megaroad has departed. It'd be cool to see the early stages of colonization.

Firmly in the no remakes/reboots camp. Lightning doesn't strike twice.

To go a little further on this, I think the ultimate trick with a reboot is that for a great many fans, a reboot/remake wouldn't be enough. What they really want is to see Macross for the first time again, and no remake will make you ten (or whatever) again, new to anime, new to mecha shows, never have thought of that sort of story before, or so on.

LOL, good stuff!! :lol:

Personally if they go that route I'd rather see a re-animation of the original material or changes along the lines of Mikimoto's Macross First (minus Minmay's stupid pet) rather than a reboot. I'm all for a re-make of Mac 7. but SDFM is too well written to improve...

Add a couple of episodes to better flesh out the Max / Millia romance and properly integrate the final episodes into the whole story like it was originally planned.

Did I also mention hover tanks that transform into metallic bunnies with guns as well as battroids? :p

Edited by Zinjo

Probably the only update I'd like to see is just new animation of the original story. Look at the excitement the pachinko game generated...

The excitement generated around pachinko game was for the new animation, but I'd be a lot happier with a new story to go along with it, not the re-telling of a story I already enjoy. The original storyline was good enough to capture all of us the first time around--"tweaking" it is just going to annoy someone, somewhere and cause general annoyance.

Okay...so here is my idea.

Galactica, the original series took a horrible race threatening event and made it into a fun campy sitcom. Galactica reinvisioned was dark, a lot more realistic, and a lot more representative of a race on the edge of extinction.

I'd love to see Macross rebooted in a similar fashion. Scenario...world is at war destroying itself...then attacked by giant aliens with incredible Technology. We have essentially one chance to keep them from destroying us...we dont understand them. I think it could make for an excellent differnt darker view.

Oh, and also stealing from Galactica, I want to see ships in space fight much more like ships can fight in space. 180's on a dime...overuse of vectoring thrusters big time please.

yes...BUT plan it out from the beginning. Write every script before production. Also, don't get tooooo dark. It is still and foremost a space opera. And stick to the SDFM story. The added history stuff from dyrl got pretty convoluted.

I think 36 episodes is still a pretty good length. Maybe go for hour long eps. SDFM was like the war and peace of animated serials. It should stay that way. You don't want to deviate from the main story so much that all you're doing is filling up episodes (galactica was horrible for that)

But mostly, tighten up the plot for those last 6 episodes. I realize that they added them on to the end, but it could have been tightened into a better story.

Hey as long as you include Milla and Laplamiz. Milla as 6, and always in your head in skimpy red outfits? Count me in! :)

Global: Where's my Zentradi Detector, Dr. Jenius?

Max: Well...I'm working on it, but...

Milia (suddenly appears on Max's lap, stroking his ear): He doesn't believe you, Max...what are you going to do now?

Max: Run away!

(Global looks at Max strangely.)

Max: Err, I mean, it's a runaway success...everything's worked out astonishingly well...I just need one more thing, and that's...

Milia: A reaction warhead.

Max: A reaction warhead. (He pauses.) Wait, what?

Milia (suddenly appears on Max's lap, stroking his ear): He doesn't believe you, Max...what are you going to do now?

Max: Err, I mean, it's a runaway success...everything's worked out astonishingly well...I just need one more thing, and that's...

Perfect. LOL.

Lol!!!

How about rebooting Macross Dynamite 7 into something less lame than Basara singing with galactic whales?

Strange and alien space-borne life forms, revered by ancient cultures, with humans mining them for body parts that make better fold drives, with a singer finally able to communicate with them and understand that they're not just mindless beasts? That remake sounds a little familiar.

Strange and alien space-borne life forms, revered by ancient cultures, with humans mining them for body parts that make better fold drives, with a singer finally able to communicate with them and understand that they're not just mindless beasts? That remake sounds a little familiar.

Lol :D

If they rebooted it it would be interesting to see what they do. Gundam Seed was supposed to be a reboot of the original gundam.

Personally I would love Battle scenes be extended and more detailed with up-dated animation, and made into widescreen. And do not change the story. And no Robotech stuff like Graham has been saying, HG has made sure that no-one has really scene any new Macross stuff. All I can say about them is stupid idiots. All they have a license for it Robotech and nothing else. I know you can only copyright a word in it's logo text but not the word. Other wise Virgin would be taking on every one for using its name.

I would say add more depth to the characters. Also include more moden technology like modile phones and the such. The orginal creators at teh time didn't know that it would happen at the orginal time of the launch.

But on the Mecha design keep it the same and maybe CG it to match the new series such as M0 & MF.

But really how can you improve a great series like this. except to try and bring younger fans to view it.

Thats my 2 cents worth anyway.

A sensible idea: Pull Gundam Evolve on it. Modernize the designs with more detail.

I'd like to see SDFM animated in modern style, just to compare it more easily with shows of this day. Plus, modernization means fanservice. And we ALL love fanservice.

Of course, don't Frontier it. That would be SEEDing it. I think a PURE remake of the series is the best solution. Story stays EXACTLY the same, save some stupid things are removed and the designs are retconned to hell!

TO HELL!

Let's make Max a woman and keep Mirya a woman!! :ph34r:

You intrigue me, please elaborate further.

^_^

I'm not a fan of remakes either, or of trodding on what's been established previously. So I suppose all I can do is wonder, 'What could be accomplished?' with a remake that we only had hinted at or would like to be expanded upon, etc?

Would you look more into the Zen/Mel backgrounds? Start the story sooner? Remove flashbacks and actually cover those time periods? I'm not a fan of multi-generational arcs, so that'd be tough to do and have it be satisfying.

I don't see anything wrong with the mecha designs, but some systems could be added (talked about vector thrust, etc) and sure, bring some bits to prominence. But this is a story about heroes and people who are 'worth writing about'. Bring it all up to one level and it gets boring. I don't give a damn about Joe Blow in the VF-1A that got blowed up real good, or the same in the Monster who got fragged or whatever. Focus on the right characters and what they need/use to tell the story. Got a fave bit of hardware that's stuck in the background? Sorry, that was its role.

For any animation house, the look and feel of CG mecha anim has improved a great deal, though still sticks out. If you go that route, as with F, then you've got to get a character animation team in that can match the fluidity and consistency, but keep them grounded.

With the above in mind, I have to throw in these two youtube clips:

and another fav on a familiar note: