Macross Frontier

Myersjessee

So...I went into a spider hole for a couple years and now I'm trying to catch up. I'm reading about Macross Frontier and I'd love to hear all your reviews. Is it good? Great? Appropriate for a 13 year old? (my son?) Should I get it...and if so what version?

Thanks a billion and sorry to bother you all!

Cheers

So...I went into a spider hole for a couple years and now I'm trying to catch up. I'm reading about Macross Frontier and I'd love to hear all your reviews. Is it good? Great? Appropriate for a 13 year old? (my son?) Should I get it...and if so what version?

Thanks a billion and sorry to bother you all!

Cheers

No bother at all...

Yes, Macross Frontier is good. Personally, it's one of my two favorites (Along with Macross Plus). And yes, I would go so far as to call it great.

Appropriate for a 13-year-old? I would think so. There's no blatant nudity, and no gratuitous sex involved in the series. I would say, if your 13-year-pld has even a little maturity, it would be fine for him.

My suggestion would be to look up the 'Yak Deculture' edition. Some episodes on that version have added footage to even out some plot-holes, and the visual quality is amazing.

Appropriate for a 13-year-old? I would think so. There's no blatant nudity, and no gratuitous sex involved in the series. I would say, if your 13-year-pld has even a little maturity, it would be fine for him.

For a little more detail, there is definitely violence: it isn't entirely gory, but it's not afraid to show some blood and death either. As said, there's no explicit nudity, but there are scantily clad pop stars, lingerie or concealed nude scenes, and some sexual humor. It's not nearly on the order of the modern fanservice anime, but it's more "10:00 TV slot" than it is Macross 7's level of santized presentation. I would have been allowed to watch this when I was 13, and I would show it to my own kid if I had one, but YYMV.

One more noob question. (and again, thank you as well as sorry to bother you)

So...I'm going to order the DVD's. I want to make sure I buy originals as opposed to bootlegs. I'm seeing lots of auctions...looking at three of them (below) I'm wondering why the different boxart. Are there different versions? Which should I buy (or does it matter?)

Thanks for the advice'

1-25 with "end" and CD. (whats end? )

http://cgi.ebay.com/DVD-Macross-Frontier-V...=item2c5295871c

another 1-25 end different art

http://cgi.ebay.com/Macross-Frontier-Chapt...=item2304a683dc

3rd 1-25 end

http://cgi.ebay.com/MACROSS-FRONTIER-1-25-...=item19b933bbab

Thanks in advance folks!

One more noob question. (and again, thank you as well as sorry to bother you)

So...I'm going to order the DVD's. I want to make sure I buy originals as opposed to bootlegs. I'm seeing lots of auctions...looking at three of them (below) I'm wondering why the different boxart. Are there different versions? Which should I buy (or does it matter?)

Thanks for the advice'

http://cgi.ebay.com/DVD-Macross-Frontier-V...=item2c5295871c

another 1-25 end different art

http://cgi.ebay.com/Macross-Frontier-Chapt...=item2304a683dc

3rd 1-25 end

http://cgi.ebay.com/MACROSS-FRONTIER-1-25-...=item19b933bbab

Thanks in advance folks!

They all have different art because they're all bootlegs.

The "end" just means the final episode. Its just saying the DVD has all the episodes from beginning to end. Also as Gubba pointed out they are all bootlegs.

1. Wording like "No Region Coding - Playable in ALL Regions" which all the Ebay sellers have used is a dead give away of bootlegs. All official DVDs are encoded for that one region where they are Distrubited.

2. Official distributors never compress an entire 26 Episode anime series into a single DVD to sell for $20.

3. In Frontier's case the only real DVDs are Japanese R2 which cost $70 a DVD and contain only 3 episodes a disc. Which you can actually order though through Amazon Japan:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF...0217&sr=8-4

Yeah, the sad fact is that if you want authentic discs of Frontier, it will cost you hundreds and hundreds to acquire a full set.

PS--the first ep is probably the most "violent" in the series, but pretty standard as far as how stripper-ish Sheryl's outfits are. :)

Crapola! Thanks all...I appreciate the knowledge. I guess, as you say, it's obvious, but I got lured in by the "it's authentic" and nice packaging. Oh well...I dont think I'm up for spending $600 for the series without having seen it, so as much as I dislike bootlegs I guess I need to support the bootleg market at least until I've seen the series. If it's all that and a bag of chips I might need to splurg for the authentic blue ray versions.

Again, thanks for the 411.

Crapola! Thanks all...I appreciate the knowledge. I guess, as you say, it's obvious, but I got lured in by the "it's authentic" and nice packaging. Oh well...I dont think I'm up for spending $600 for the series without having seen it, so as much as I dislike bootlegs I guess I need to support the bootleg market at least until I've seen the series. If it's all that and a bag of chips I might need to splurg for the authentic blue ray versions.

Again, thanks for the 411.

If that's the case, download the fansubs instead of buying the boots. It's free (so no money goes to pirates) and the subs will be higher-quality.

PS--the first ep is probably the most "violent" in the series, but pretty standard as far as how stripper-ish Sheryl's outfits are. :)

I would say the most violent one was

the one towards the end where the assassin gets cut in half (wasn't michael killed that episode too?)

I don't think the micro Klan Klang nudie episode is suitable for 13-y.o... :huh:

Thought that was gratuitous lolicon.

Are you talking about were she was taking off her clothes while Michale and Alto were fighting off the Bugs because that does not have a sexual component out side of her telling him she loves him because she needed to take off her clothes in order to go through the Macrocloning proses.

Depends on your personal cultural context, but Macross F was certainly not designed with kids in mind.

There are Klan's superboobs, Sheryl's closet scene with Alto, the Nyan Nyan uniform, almost everything about Nanase...not that I was taking note of them: I was in for the violent mecha fights, knife fights and capital ship explosions...which reminds me

of the death of poor Gilliam in the first episode (squeezed by a gigantic Vajra like a can of tomato juice

)...

Edited by regult

My suggestion would be to look up the 'Yak Deculture' edition. Some episodes on that version have added footage to even out some plot-holes, and the visual quality is amazing.

Is there a Yak Deculture edition for the entire series??

Sorry to ask, been out of the loop for a while after initial watch of the TV version with mostly lunaranime subs. I also have the "Deculture" edition first episode which looks more interesting than the TV broadcast version. I also have the RAW DVD/Bluray last episode with additional and improved footage. I am also aware the DVD/Blu-ray improved some scenes here and there thru the series, but is there yet another version of the entire series? Sorry again if this is a very stupid question.

Is there a Yak Deculture edition for the entire series??

Sorry to ask, been out of the loop for a while after initial watch of the TV version with mostly lunaranime subs. I also have the "Deculture" edition first episode which looks more interesting than the TV broadcast version. I also have the RAW DVD/Bluray last episode with additional and improved footage. I am also aware the DVD/Blu-ray improved some scenes here and there thru the series, but is there yet another version of the entire series? Sorry again if this is a very stupid question.

Only the first episode. The rest is just animation fixes and a couple of very minor additions to the last episode, probably less than a minute total.