VF-25s to VF-2ss converstion WIP

blackconvoy_D01

Hello,

Thanks for all the cool support on the strike cannon thing for my MPC. Thanks especially for not hammering me on the Toynami thing as well. For my next project I will be traveling to NYC to hopefully buy in hand a 1/60 VF-25s. My ambition is to repaint, and possibly retool the VF-25s to look like a modified vf-2ss of Macross II. Let me know what you think of my idea. Pics of progress will come to follow.

Thanks,

Thomas

post-12515-1264283328_thumb.jpg

I'm interested to see what you come up with! The transformation is so radically different I'm curious to see how you retool it.

Hi Hutch,

Yes there are some very distictive differences from the two. However I do see what I consider to be some similarities which caused me to come up with the idea. I see the VF-25s as a (in)direct modified VF-2ss. I appreciated the VF-25s but wasnt in love with it, but I did love the VF-2ss. I grew frustrated with not have a 1/60 of the VF-2ss, so Im off to make the closest thing I can. Here is some of the retooling Im planing so far just to give you an idea:

Feet:

Sanding and repainting the feet of the 25s to match the 2ss

Body:

The whole body of the 25s will be repainted white, and then detailed in the color scheme of the 2ss

Head:

Repainting the head of the 25s to match the 2ss. Also adding the red jewel.

Weapon:

The weapon will probably just be repainted.

Joints will be repainted as well to match.

Other tweaks with regards to retooling will or may be made as well once I get the mech in hand from NYC. Thank you for your positive feedback.

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

This will be a cool project to check out, though you might have better luck with modifying a vf-1 valk than a frontier valk. in my opinion it might be easier to convert a vf-1 valk into a vf-2ss. the frontier vf-25 would probably be better suited to be a metal siren valk conversion (ducks and runs for cover, cause im probably the only one that has grown to like it). Just an opinion though, either way, best of luck on your project keep us updated with pics of your progress!

I've had a similar notion, with changing its transformation to copy that of the VF-1. More because I've been thinking of creating a VF-24 out of it. The VF-25's transformation is very complicated and wouldn't fit if the design was too radically different.

Though I'm not thinking of the VF-24 shown in the series. I've had an idea in my head about a Macross story dealing with a previous lost Long Range Fleet.

In this fleet, the VF-24 was originally created, then lost when the fleet disappeared. The design was later picked up by - whatever that companies name was - and reworked. So it was created, lost, picked up and reworked into the new prototype 24 shown in the series, then reworked again to create the 25 and 27.

I'll be interested to see how you do it, seeing as this is unknown country for me.

Good luck,

Thom.

Edited by Thom

I've had a similar notion, with changing its transformation to copy that of the VF-1. More because I've been thinking of creating a VF-24 out of it. The VF-25's transformation is very complicated and wouldn't fit if the design was too radically different.

Though I'm not thinking of the VF-24 shown in the series. I've had an idea in my head about a Macross story dealing with a previous lost Long Range Fleet.

In this fleet, the VF-24 was originally created, then lost when the fleet disappeared. The design was later picked up by - whatever that companies name was - and reworked. So it was created, lost, picked up and reworked into the new prototype 24 shown in the series, then reworked again to create the 25 and 27.

I'll be interested to see how you do it, seeing as this is unknown country for me.

Good luck,

Thom.

Thanks Thom. Im leaving tomorrow for NYC, and hopefully Ill return with a decently priced VF-25s. I was thinking of slight retooling and physical modifcations initially. After all a) it is normally a $125.00 and up piece. b) I am a novice when it comes to this. and c) I want it to resemble the VF-2ss, appearing more as direct upgrade, but not a complete conversion of the 25s to the 2ss. With more experience I would attempt a direct conversion, possibly after this venture. We'll see where it goes though. Thanks for your feedback on the idea.

This will be a cool project to check out, though you might have better luck with modifying a vf-1 valk than a frontier valk. in my opinion it might be easier to convert a vf-1 valk into a vf-2ss. the frontier vf-25 would probably be better suited to be a metal siren valk conversion (ducks and runs for cover, cause im probably the only one that has grown to like it). Just an opinion though, either way, best of luck on your project keep us updated with pics of your progress!

Well, it's been nearly 3 years I think since I've been on here. The Macross II stuff is what started me on Macross in general (well, Macross Plus first actually). But I love the VF-2SS and the metal siren. I think one of the few guys that has every kit including a super rare battroid of the VF2 made by Retpuu I believe it was (I'd have to look it up again).

I've always wondered, based on the Battroid kit and Fighter mode kit I have (made famous by MW Cheng I'm sure) what type of transforming kit you could make. I'm sure by kit bashing both, and using another transforming toy for it's skeleton, with enough time, you could make an AMAZING piece.

I would also recommended the VF-1 as starting point for a VF-2SS conversion. The "airframe" for the VF-2 is essentially the same as the VF-1, with the legs and intakes split further apart. The cockpit shield is a static element, rather than retracting (as it does on the VF-1), so perhaps a VF-0 might work even better, as it has the same feature? The VF-25 has some radical differences in the nose, and especially the crazy complicated shoulder mechanisms. My vote is for a VF-0 or VF-1 for s starting point. I've contemplated converting one of the Hasegawa VF-1s into a VF-2 myself. I'm not a big fan of Macross II, but I do like the idea of it loosely fitting into the continuity as a lost colony fleet (maybe the SDF-3 or SDF-5?). Definitely love Mikimoto's character designs, the uniforms, etc. and the idea of another offshoot race of the Protoculture / Zentraedi.

-Greg

Ah, here is the rare kit you don't ever see much of that I have.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models.../retppu_34f.jpg

It's a nice kit! Too bad it wasn't a 1/72, I thought it was... been a while. I need to really get my in box kits on a display shelf....

The project is off for a couple of weeks as some adjustments have to be made. My trip to NY was mainly family related and took up most of my time, but I had a day to peruse the shops in hopes of finding a VF-25F in a decent price range for the project. The prices I found in the city were more than what the 1/60 cost on amazon.com. So with some searching and rethinking Ill be getting the VF-25F in the 1/100 size, and 3/4 less in cost than the 1/60. I will have pics up once it arrives and I begin.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dude, I hope you didn't start with that VF-25 yet, as I've got a better starting point for you. Try using the King Size YF-10 or YF-11 Type Yi fighter from the <i>Astro Plan</i> series. It's only US$27.99 + shipping and it looks closer to the Valkyrie II than the Messiah.

<a href="http://www.kotoys.com/kotoys.php?cat=Astroplan" target="_blank"><b>Astro Plan Toys at KOTOYS.com</b></a>

Actuall I didnt start yet because I want the 1/60 Tornado Pack with the VF-25F. I thought it looked cool and resembled even more so a VF-2SS with Super Strike Parts. I do think that the ASTRO PLAN stuff would be good as a tester. Will post once I get the toy.