FURIOUS OVER NEW CONAN (Conan the Barbarian remake)

Agent ONE

• 6 months later...

Conan the Barbarian teaser

<div><object width="576" height="324"><param name="movie" value="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.swf"></param><param'>http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.swf"></param><param name="flashVars" value="vid=24490513&"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed width="576" height="324" allowFullScreen="true" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="vid=24490513&"></embed></object></div>

While the teaser leaves me feeling uncertain about this movie, the info coming from Mike Stackpole (who is writing the novelization) makes me hopeful. This movie will be much more faithful to the source material than the Arnold movies or the comics, which, to be fair, took a great many liberties. Stackpole even comments that Momoa was a more accurate Conan and played the part well, so crossing my fingers on this.

In the second pic, his face is rather similar to Frazetta's portraying of the barbarian actually...

As for the muscles: maybe a bit more could have been welcome but it is not that bad neither...

Valor pleases you, Crom; so grant me this one request. Grant Agent ONE revenge! And if you do not listen, then to hell with you!

No kidding. The trailer looks horrible.

From a body building perspective - this guy is not proportional. Arnold talked about how he tried to make sure everything was in proportion. This guy's pec muscles are way too big, he needs to work on his abbs - I mean,even Sly has better abbs at age 60-something than this guy! His arms are ok - lean, but when taken together with the chest - it's like...does he just bench press and work on his pecs all day for some reason?

It might be more in accordance with the books or whatever - but truth be told, I read one comic AFTER I saw Arnold doing Conan.

I do agree that there's a lot of fake muscles in body building these days - but Arnold wasn't "these days" - Arnold and Lou Feringo were competing back when tone, definition and proportion mattered more than sheer size (look who Mike Katz loses to in Pumping Iron).

I'm not saying this Conan choice is horrible - I mean - he looks good - it takes a lot of work to get that result...but...there's just something...strange about his proportions...

As for the trailer - the voices stink, and the narrator is terrible. There's not much to be said for visual content - just some smoke, screaming faces, and this guy swinging a sword and saying one line...

We'll see. But when I compare this new Conan to Sly in Rambo III.... dag... this guy is wasting his youth...

Pete

Conan the Barbarian teaser

<div><object width="576" height="324"><param name="movie" value="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.swf"></param><param'>http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.swf"></param><param name="flashVars" value="vid=24490513&"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed width="576" height="324" allowFullScreen="true" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="vid=24490513&"></embed></object></div>

Didn't sly admit to using roids?

IIRC, he got busted with "controlled substances" or something like that, while returning from filming the last Rambo pic...

But back to the new Conan movie. This crap is gonna suck like a $10 crack whore. Yeah, it might be good for some instant gratification--but you're not going to be truly satisfied with the results; you'll likely just feel dirty and unfulfilled afterward... <_<

Didn't sly admit to using roids?

No, he was using HGH, which is not a steroid. He was caught bringing it into Australia.

But back to the new Conan movie. This crap is gonna suck like a $10 crack whore. Yeah, it might be good for some instant gratification--but you're not going to be truly satisfied with the results; you'll likely just feel dirty and unfulfilled afterward... <_<

That trailer looks so bad, I am wondering if this film will go to straight to video.

The new movie should be animated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SsHfWBLVr0

God I remeber that series. Too bad they couldn't do another season; I would've love to see Grey Wolf's brother and sister completly cured of the curse.

Is it me or is Rothamon and Serpentor from GI Joe really the same and one character from this intro? :D

That isn't Rothamon. It's that cartoon's version of the sorcerer from the novel that Estaban Moroto illustrated entitled Conan and the Sorcerer. I can't for the life of me remember that sorcerer's name at the moment. I'll edit this post when I do remember his name.

• 1 month later...

The visuals are nice!

Acting seems to be a joke

The music is unbelievable bad

I was and am bothered by the lack of physical stature of the actor, but the world is tired of steroid athletes, so its a change I can understand and largely I'm past it.

The visuals are good enough for me to read the reviews, I haven't seen anything to make me buy a tshirt and wait in line on opening day.

I'm not tired of steroid athletes if it fits the role. Terminators and barbarians are suppose to be grotesquely huge....maybe not Incredible Hulk huge, but with decent mass. They looked good in the comics that way, and Arnie was perfect for both roles.

This mascara wearing nancy boy is the bastard child that Conan didn't want and would have fed to his dog.

Also, it seems like his vocabulary is too large for a barbarian. Personally, I think the amount of talking Bewulf (13th Warrior) did was perfect.

I think it looks like a lot of fun. Momoa has certainly got the Conan 'look' (from the books that is). He's not perfect, and what I've seen in the trailer makes me wish they had a more epic setting, possibly. I also do NOT like the choice of music so far. But it looks fun, and I will go and see it. It's not the movie I had hoped for, but whatever is?

KING%20CONAN-01a%20flat%20full.jpg

This is the Conan that should have been.

I would rather have an older arnold, than anyone else.

Edited by Agent ONE

KING%20CONAN-01a%20flat%20full.jpg

Thats a very nice piece of fan work. What could have been... I always think of that scene at the beginning or end of the original Conan movie with him sitting on the throne. It really makes one wistful...

I think that pic is fake if I remember correctly.

Yeah its fake.

He is still in great shape. He didn't use a body double in T3 and I saw him two years after that.. Still in shape. Now, the man IS 62 so.

I wanted a movie where he played a 62 year old Conan.