(I don't know why the last thread was locked, but I'm sure people here still want to talk about Avatar. Remember to keep the discussion clean and leave any political, racial or inappropriate comments at the front door.)

Now, for updates on Avatar:

- The film bagged two awards for Best Picture and Best Director for a Drama (James Cameron) at the Golden Globe Awards.
- Worldwide ticket sales have topped US$1.6 billion, which means it just needs US$200 million more to overtake Titanic.

And, as expected, Cameron will be making at least two sequels. The first sequel will take place shortly after the first. Sam Worthington has signed on to reprise his role as Jake Sully in future sequels.

Meanwhile, Stephen Lang had this to say about his character, Col. Miles Quaritch:

"You think those two arrows in my chest are going to stop me from coming back?" Lang told Entertainment Weekly, "Nothing's over so long as they've got my DNA."

Edited by areaseven

Yeah,

Quaritch was just too good (bad?) to not find a way to bring him back. Maybe we'll even see him sync up in a Na'vi avatar himself. Imagine a big, bulging, gnarly muscle-bound Na'vi tearing apart their ranks from the inside.

:ph34r:

That said, I doubt any sequels will have the same 'magic' the first one does, but I'm on board for as many as they want to make.

Edited by eriku

Eriku... I think it was you... but you were 100% correct about the sex scene... It's a good thinng they decided to cut that out.

Holy... Xenophilia in a James Cameron film? Must see...!!! :blink:

Well... jokes aside... I liked Avatar, but still can't understand how so many people think is the best Science Fiction ever made. It was good, but not that super duper good... The Na'Vi looked fake as hell...

Btw... I hope they include Michael Biehn in any of the sequels...

And, as expected, Cameron will be making at least two sequels. The first sequel will take place shortly after the first. Sam Worthington has signed on to reprise his role as Jake Sully in future sequels.

Heh, I posted this on another forum:

The sequels, summed up (I'll take my money now in small unmarked bills, Cameron, kthx):

Movie 2: Immediately after the humans are ousted from Pandora, Jake tries to convince the Na'vi that the humans will be back with heavy military force soon, and that they need to learn to use Human technology against them by building weapons and vehicles with the Hell's Gate stereolithography factories. The Na'vi refuse to believe, and go back their separate ways. Jake aggressively begins teaching groups of Na'vi secretly to fight the humans when they come back. The Na'vi leaders find out and a huge civil war breaks out. Fortunately, Jake learns about some unusual beast or skill that only one other Na'vi in the history of Pandora has tamed/done, and quickly learns how. The Na'vi is once again awed by Jake and unites, and begins wholesale learning on how to prepare for the humans return.

Movie 3: After 15-20 years (6 years to Earth, 6 years back, a few years to get everything together), the Humans have returned en masse. Instead of just one ISV, they bring all 12 chocked full of the latest military hardware, with support from the Earth Military (not just the RDA and the SecFor. The military hardware used on Pandora by the RDA was 20-30 years old or older by the events of Avatar, they were used because they were inexpensive to maintain and easy to build on the stereolithographer, and the helicopters adapted well to the Pandoran atmosphere and gravity). The first target will be Hell's Gate, where the military will get ahold of the stereolithographer and start pumping out the latest military vehicles ASAP. Jake and the Na'vi will be lying in wait, with Eywa and the whole planet behind them. The movie will culminate in a massive battle between the Na'vi and the Humans. Jake will probably be killed, but ultimately the Na'vi and Eywa will win and Jake's legacy will be remembered in songs for all eternity.

Well... jokes aside... I liked Avatar, but still can't understand how so many people think is the best Science Fiction ever made. It was good, but not that super duper good... The Na'Vi looked fake as hell...

While I enjoyed Avatar, I thought District 9 was a far better movie.

While I'll be up for seeing a sequel, I think a lot of the sense of wonder and freshness of the first movie will be gone.

Hope to see the humans come back with enough firepower to kick blue kitty butt this time.

Graham

I liked Avatar, but still can't understand how so many people think is the best Science Fiction ever made.

I haven't really come across anyone saying they thought it was that great (except on non-SF forums, but what do they know!), most people who liked it also admit it had its shortcomings. In my opinion, it was just a very well-executed film (and fun to watch just for that), but it's clearly no Bladerunner.

While I enjoyed Avatar, I thought District 9 was a far better movie.

While I'll be up for seeing a sequel, I think a lot of the sense of wonder and freshness of the first movie will be gone.

Hope to see the humans come back with enough firepower to kick blue kitty butt this time.

Graham

You mean the story about how some white guy slowly got assimilated into the aliens' society and eventually became one of them, all the while robots and and guys machineguns were duking it out?

You mean the story about how some white guy slowly got assimilated into the aliens' society and eventually became one of them, all the while robots and and guys machineguns were duking it out?

D9 had cooler power armor though. :p

I just saw Avatar last week, and must say I was stunned. Very good movie. Visuals are unbelievable. The Na'vi looked pretty good as well (of course they are fake, but they were better than Gollum...). I agree that any sequals will lack the magic of the first movie, but if they are done by James Cameron himself, they will probably turn out pretty good as well.

Now, for the movie itself... Did I miss anything about the Stereolithographer? I can't remember hearing about it...

I also hope the book used for making the movie (Pandora-encyclopedia) will be released soon. It's a filmmakers "bible" with all the information needed about Pandora animal and plant life, as well as huge amounts of other stuff.

BTW, is it just me, or did that giant Dragon quad-helo thing looked alot like the dropship from Aliens... :rolleyes: I guess you can tell who made the first design sketches for it... James Cameron himself. He also made up the Colonial Marines Dropship. There were other very interesting machines in the movie. The giant dumptrucks for example, and the huge bucket wheel excavator (based on the German Bagger 288, the largest land based machine ever built, and I tell ya, it's huge!!!). Oh well, I'll just have to wait one week, before I'll receive the 'Art of Avatar'. ^_^ ^_^

I too liked D9 better than Avatar, and I liked and saw Avatar twice.

They may have some vague similarities but D9 felt in the Aliens, Predator category - while Avatar has more of the Star Wars universal 'feel good' quality.

After seeing D9 I was brushing the dust off myself wondering what the heck just happened to me - after Avatar I was more like - "that was cool, 'this' scene and 'that' scene were amazingly done!". I own D9 on Bluray - prob won't be getting Avatar on DVD at all - it's all about the theater 3D experience.

-----------

As for guessing about sequels I like what was described above - sounds pretty good actually! But I was thinking there could also be an anti-american (or whoever the bad white guys were) force that Jake could contact (on purpose or by chance) and use the unobtainium has a bargaining chip for weapons and alliance.

In fact, it might be interesting if this 3rd main opposing force might be a mix of rough character humans and one other alien race. They never say the Navi are the only 'humanoids' encountered in the storyline . . .

Edited by DarrinG

I loved Avatar but hope Cameron doesn't forget about his adaptation of Gunm/Alita. A guy with such attention to detail is the right guy to take Yukito Kishiro's world to 3D.

According to Yahoo! Movies, Cameron is in pre-production on his next film "Battle Angel" which is expected to hit theaters 2011.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk...ar-trilogy.html

This is quoted from the last paragraph in the link. I really hope this happens! It'll be awesome to see Gunnm/Alita on the big screen!

"If the "Avatar" sequel does happen, it'll be a few years before audiences can lay their 3D-glasses-enhanced eyes on it. Cameron is currently in pre-production on his next movie, "Battle Angel" in which he'll use some of the same CG technology he created for "Avatar." That film is slated to hit theaters in 2011."

Did Cameron say he's doing sequels? I just saw an interview with him where he said he hadn't decided what's next, but there was no mention of Avatar sequels at all.

Avatar making big headlines this week, what with the Chinese wanting it banned and all. For me, the biggest news has been this, though, in Taiwan:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/...over-excitement

I wonder how detrimental (if at all) this will be to the current 3D trend.

At least they didn't find traces of white sticky fluid. :lol:

Some patrons have reported feeling dizzy and suffering nausea during 3D screenings of the film.

Guess we have a new version of the Pokemon-seizure.

Taks... you have to quit with your random pic posting. Stop trying to ruin a thread because you want it locked.

This isn't 4chan.

Which "random pic" are you objecting to? The pic in post #26 is something that I photoshopped myself to reflect the statement that Azrael made about Pokemon, Avatar and seizures. The pic I posted in #28 was quoting VF5SS.

I don't want this thread shut down. I know that I did not behave well in the last Avatar thread and I am sorry for that, but I thought that I had been behaving myself in this one. A7 beat me to the punch because I had been thinking about starting a thread dedicated to a possible Avatar sequel, and it would have had a similar request about doing the right thing at the start.

Taksraven

Which "random pic" are you objecting to? The pic in post #26 is something that I photoshopped myself to reflect the statement that Azrael made about Pokemon, Avatar and seizures. The pic I posted in #28 was quoting VF5SS.

I don't want this thread shut down. I know that I did not behave well in the last Avatar thread and I am sorry for that, but I thought that I had been behaving myself in this one. A7 beat me to the punch because I had been thinking about starting a thread dedicated to a possible Avatar sequel, and it would have had a similar request about doing the right thing at the start.

Taksraven

You've been littering the forums with your In before locks and check the last avatar thread on the last post that finally got it locked. If you have any more problems with it you can send me a private message.

Just like some others, I liked Avatar visually, but nothing much more. I rate my movies, books, and TV shows based on character, story, script/wit, and setting. It was "setting" that Avatar excelled in, but the rest was too plain, even lacking. Some people mentioned District 9, and its similarity with Avatar, but for me, D9 was solid in all 4 criteria. Wickus especially was a very good lead character in that he wasn't really a hero type. Up to the end, he was a douche who was fighting only for his own sake, and I was torn between pitying him and judging him at the end. The prawn mech was also better designed than the amp suits, IMO, it almost hurt to see it ruined.

You've been littering the forums with your In before locks and check the last avatar thread on the last post that finally got it locked. If you have any more problems with it you can send me a private message.

Message received and understood. I have no problems, just needed specifics.

Taksraven