5 hours ago, Big s said:

Yeah, I saw the original release in 3D and was absolutely amazed. I kinda thought every movie after that would try to be that immersive. Unfortunately that didn’t really happen. I still wasn’t that happy with the movie on home video. I couldn’t afford a 3D tv and that gimmick is really the big thing for it.

Yeah, the onslaught of cheaped out post-process 3D movies killed 3D which is a shame.  Outside of AVATAR were few 3D movies that stood out during that phase, namely TRON: legacy and The Hobbit trilogy, because they were actually filmed in 3D.

That being said I still have two Panasonic plasma 3D televisions that I never watched a 3D movie on. Wearing the glasses seem like a pain to set up, lol. 

22 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Yeah, the onslaught of cheaped out post-process 3D movies killed 3D which is a shame.  Outside of AVATAR were few 3D movies that stood out during that phase, namely TRON: legacy and The Hobbit trilogy, because they were actually filmed in 3D.

Also, G R A V I T Y is the movie that 3D was invented for.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks really good. Curious if the heartbeat she feels is Grace Augustine's. NGL, that's a resurrection I wouldn't mind.

Edit: After doing a bit of reading, Sigourney is playing a role, but not as her older self, but as that of Kiri, Jake's and Neytiri's teenage daughter. TBF, Sigourney still sounds like she did in her twenties playing Ripley in Alien, so I don't find it that much of a stretch. She'll bring a bit of an 'old soulfulness' to the character. Hard to believe Sigourney is 73.  Still lovely and oh so cool.

Is it weird that all through the trailer, I kept thinking this and that would make for a great LEGO set? 

Totally down for this in January. That crabsuit mech. 😍 Wish they'd brick-built that whale's head instead of making a huge one-time use mold. It would have been worth the additional $50-60 to have all those additional pieces in dark blue. Moreover, it would have made it a really good parts set, as dark blue is still a bit of a rarity in any quantity per a single set.

See the source image

Hope the large watercraft with the clamshell doors gets a set. Still hoping they'll make a set of the big command ship from the first film as well. 

Edited by M'Kyuun

4 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

TBF, Sigourney still sounds like she did in her twenties playing Ripley

I thought about that and you’re right. Her voice sounded strong when she was young , but unlike most her voice didn’t get grumbly like many others. Maybe she stayed away from smoking, who knows. She also doesn’t look bad for her age, maybe she’s a clone

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 11:03 AM, electric indigo said:

Some hardware

Some neat mecha in Avatar- not enough for my liking, but then again, is there ever enough mecha? Rhetorical, because no, there isn't. 😄 Loving that Crabsuit. Looking forward to seeing it in action when the film releases.

I couldn't care less about the plot or the characters, HOWEVER, as a movie fan, I have a feeling this will be one you WANT to see in the biggest, loudest 3Dest theater you can, Kind of like Top Gun Maverick, it just looses something at home no matter how good your setup is. 

5 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I couldn't care less about the plot or the characters, HOWEVER, as a movie fan, I have a feeling this will be one you WANT to see in the biggest, loudest 3Dest theater you can, Kind of like Top Gun Maverick, it just looses something at home no matter how good your setup is. 

Yeah, that’s basically what I’ve been saying about the first film. Definitely will look amazing and maybe it should only be watched once to see it as a spectacle and try not to overthink it. Home viewing may just ruin it

I'm just looking forward to the updates that will surely be included in the Avatar ride at Animal Kingdom....I can see it now....the ride will start as usual in the air, but will then take you into the depths of the ocean riding one of those new sea creatures....should be awesome...

Edited by jvmacross

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

I had planned on watching this weekend, but now I may have to push it to after Christmas.....dang life priorities!

I usually do not care about spoilers but I'm making an exception for this movie....hope it doesn't suck...also plan to watch it on IMAX 3D when I get around to it....

Saw this last night with my son. Was very good, the CGI was definitely top notch, wish that it had been released in the jaw-dropping 3D like the first movie.  Definitely enjoyed and hope they follow through with more sequels.

Twich

2 hours ago, twich said:

Saw this last night with my son. Was very good, the CGI was definitely top notch, wish that it had been released in the jaw-dropping 3D like the first movie.  Definitely enjoyed and hope they follow through with more sequels.

Huh... I actually assumed it was being released in 3D. I must have missed that memo, lol. Shame tho, as the first AVATAR was amazing in 3D and was hoping for a repeat experience.

3 hours ago, twich said:

Twich

It was released in 3D. Sounds like the theater you saw it in didn’t have it. My guess is there’s probably a good chunk of theaters out there that don’t do 3D. No demand for it anymore.

1 hour ago, Duke Togo said:

It was released in 3D. Sounds like the theater you saw it in didn’t have it. My guess is there’s probably a good chunk of theaters out there that don’t do 3D. No demand for it anymore.

The theater did have 3D, I remember specifically asking my son why they didn't pass out the 3D glasses.  I guess they have it both in 3D and not 3D.  Maybe a decision of the theater in light of Covid-19.  Who knows now days.  Great movie though, but long.  Over 3 hours....

Twich

1 minute ago, twich said:

The theater did have 3D, I remember specifically asking my son why they didn't pass out the 3D glasses.  I guess they have it both in 3D and not 3D.  Maybe a decision of the theater in light of Covid-19.  Who knows now days.  Great movie though, but long.  Over 3 hours....

Twich

I usually buy tickets online so I can pick the good seats and avoid the rush, with the 3D films you should always make sure they give the glasses at the front when checking in since some of the workers don’t really have their minds on the job sometimes 

1 hour ago, twich said:

Twich

My theater has both 3D and non-3D showings. Sounds like it’s the same at your theater.

2 hours ago, Chunky001 said:

Box office numbers are not looking good at all.

https://www.axios.com/2022/12/17/avatar-the-way-of-water-box-office-numbers-james-cameron-sequel

Camerons $2B "break even" looks impossible.

I kinda figured that goal was way too high. Even half that in the current economy would be tough. It’s definitely doing a lot better than I thought it would, but I really think they waited far too long for this sequel to make the kind of cash they were hoping for.

I was able to sneak in a 10am showing of the IMAX 3D presentation.

It was a good movie, the 3D really added to the enjoyment....especially the underwater scenes.

Spoiler

I enjoyed the continued world building and introduction of another race(?) of Na'vi...

So were the whales actually another sentient Pandora species?  

As for box office receipts.....I think that only matters for bragging rights and perhaps to stroke Cameron's ego....in reality, the movies just don't have to suck too terribly as they are mainly to keep "Avatar" and the "Word of Pandora" relevant....Disney has spent millions on it's Pandora world at Animal Kingdom and they won't let that become just another area of the park in need of "re-booting" due to lack of interest....they just need to figure out how to save on the cost of creating these films...

Looking forward to some underwater action sequences by the time I head of to WDW again!  It's personally the best ride across all 4 theme parks at WDW at the moment.

I watched this in 3D Imax yesterday.

Before this, I had only ever watched a small handfull of movies in 3D over the past decade. The first was Avengers 2012, and that movie gave me vertigo after 15 minutes. Others were more bearable, but it just gave the feeling of watching cardboard cutouts placed at various distances from the screen, somewhat not unlike parallax scrolling sprites in the days of 2D console gaming. And so, I came to righful conclusion that 3D is not worth the extra ticket price. It is just distracting, gimmicky and encapsulates why the whole 3D industry kind of died down.

Nevertheless, I always had the nagging feeling that the original Avatar in 3D would be a totally different experience from the other fake, pseudo post-processed 3D movies, due to the actual camera equipment James Cameron developed himself & used.

So I gave Avatar 2 another chance in 3D, and went in with little expectations. And let me just say, I was totally BLOWN away. The 3D here has infinite depth perception, and together with the sharp CGI, totally believable creature motion, intimate camerawork, easy to follow action sequences, you are never overwhelmed but always glued in wonder from start till the end. For the price of a premium movie ticket, it is worth much more than the 10 minute 3D screen rides at theme parks, when you get a whole 3 hours EYEGASM experience here.

This movie stands up for 3D visuals and that alone. It is akin to a VR scuba diving experience, and nobody does underwater sequences like James Cameron if one is familiar with his background. He kind of reminds me of Enzo Ferrari, who makes road cars only to fund his racing; and similarly James Cameron makes movies to fund his deep-sea diving explorations.

If watched in 2D, it will just be another generic CGI-fest with very middling story, you'd be shortchanging yourself and wondering what the whole fuss is about, similar to what I felt when I watched the original in 2D (it was a snooze). It has to be watched in 3D or else do not watch at all. After the show, I was told that the 3D implementation here is magnitudes better than the original Avatar 3D.

Here is reviewer which encapsulates what I feel about this. I agree with him 200% here.

https://www.reelviews.net/reelviews/avatar-the-way-of-water

6 hours ago, MKT said:

I watched this in 3D Imax yesterday.

Before this, I had only ever watched a small handfull of movies in 3D over the past decade. The first was Avengers 2012, and that movie gave me vertigo after 15 minutes. Others were more bearable, but it just gave the feeling of watching cardboard cutouts placed at various distances from the screen, somewhat not unlike parallax scrolling sprites in the days of 2D console gaming. And so, I came to righful conclusion that 3D is not worth the extra ticket price. It is just distracting, gimmicky and encapsulates why the whole 3D industry kind of died down.

Nevertheless, I always had the nagging feeling that the original Avatar in 3D would be a totally different experience from the other fake, pseudo post-processed 3D movies, due to the actual camera equipment James Cameron developed himself & used.

So I gave Avatar 2 another chance in 3D, and went in with little expectations. And let me just say, I was totally BLOWN away. The 3D here has infinite depth perception, and together with the sharp CGI, totally believable creature motion, intimate camerawork, easy to follow action sequences, you are never overwhelmed but always glued in wonder from start till the end. For the price of a premium movie ticket, it is worth much more than the 10 minute 3D screen rides at theme parks, when you get a whole 3 hours EYEGASM experience here.

This movie stands up for 3D visuals and that alone. It is akin to a VR scuba diving experience, and nobody does underwater sequences like James Cameron if one is familiar with his background. He kind of reminds me of Enzo Ferrari, who makes road cars only to fund his racing; and similarly James Cameron makes movies to fund his deep-sea diving explorations.

If watched in 2D, it will just be another generic CGI-fest with very middling story, you'd be shortchanging yourself and wondering what the whole fuss is about, similar to what I felt when I watched the original in 2D (it was a snooze). It has to be watched in 3D or else do not watch at all. After the show, I was told that the 3D implementation here is magnitudes better than the original Avatar 3D.

Here is reviewer which encapsulates what I feel about this. I agree with him 200% here.

https://www.reelviews.net/reelviews/avatar-the-way-of-water

That pretty much covers how I felt about the original. There were very few good uses for 3D. Most films just did it as an afterthought. I think my favorite ms were Avatar and Corraline. Avatar, the original unfortunately didn’t hold up as well when you take the experience away. But I fondly remember watching it in the theater with my daughter and we were just in awe of that experience. I kinda had a feeling this one would probably be the same situation. I do plan on checking it out soon and not expecting to be blown away by the story, but hopefully by the spectacle 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the movie in 3D and my bladder survived, lol! It was great eye candy and there were trailers for upcoming movies that looked good in 3D, namely Super Mario Bros and Ant-Man & Wasp: Quantamania.

That being said Avatar was very long and could have benefited from cutting about 45min from it. Plus I didn't like its plot gimmicks in trying to re-use a villain. Other than that I did like its message about family this time around.