...So I got bored one day...

captain america

Beautiful sculpt John!

Is that Chavant (or however it`s spelled) modeling clay - the same stuff they used to use for automotive concept models (before computers)?

Beautiful sculpt John!

Is that Chavant (or however it`s spelled) modeling clay - the same stuff they used to use for automotive concept models (before computers)?

Hi Chas. It's actually a mix of Super Sculpey and Sculpey III, both of which are heat-hardened clays. I haven't used Chavant in years; great stuff, but not suitable for certain applications.

If anything, the one BIG down-side to the Sculpey clays is that they're super brittle, and the master will likely be destroyed upon demold, so my mold has to be done right the first time.

Hi Chas. It's actually a mix of Super Sculpey and Sculpey III, both of which are heat-hardened clays. I haven't used Chavant in years; great stuff, but not suitable for certain applications.

If anything, the one BIG down-side to the Sculpey clays is that they're super brittle, and the master will likely be destroyed upon demold, so my mold has to be done right the first time.

Sounds like there can be moments with tears then.

Wow, beautiful sculpt for sure. I love the very series-ness of the surface detail. Big fan of the Salan Scout anyway, if you kit this I guess I'll grab one. Why so small, though?

Anyone know where this figure of 5km+ came from for the Nupetiet Vergnitz? Isn't she 4000m, or am I behind the times? 1/5000 would be only 80cm - still quite a small model, but not so much that it would be totally unsatisfying.

Wow, beautiful sculpt for sure. I love the very series-ness of the surface detail. Big fan of the Salan Scout anyway, if you kit this I guess I'll grab one. Why so small, though?

Anyone know where this figure of 5km+ came from for the Nupetiet Vergnitz? Isn't she 4000m, or am I behind the times? 1/5000 would be only 80cm - still quite a small model, but not so much that it would be totally unsatisfying.

An "only" 80cm long model poses some logistical issues and would probably end up being hand-applied epoxy rather than resin. Like molding and casting a baguette :lol:

Oh, and here are a couple pics of the Salan Scout: 1/2500 and 1/5000. The latter is not yet done, but you get the idea :p

post-632-1265592908_thumb.jpg

post-632-1265592918_thumb.jpg

Hey John the blue line on the large one, I take it that's to be the parting line? Are you planning a single pour two -part mould?

Yes! I wanted to put the seam lines in places that could allow them to be more easily repaired or camouflaged. It will essentially be a resin dildo :lol: :lol: :lol:

so when

i mod it which end should i put the vibrating motor in :blink: ?? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

So Capn'. Do you use that vacuum de-molding technique at all. I saw it on "How things are Made" once for resin figures that you can buy in curio shops and gift stores. The manufacturers clamp a single part mold onto a tube that is larger than the outside of the cylindrically shaped mold. They evacuate the pipe and the mold pulls away from the casting. I've been dying to try it and wanted to know if you have an economical trick you use.

• 7 months later...