The Amazing Spider-Man, on Blu-Ray/DVD Nov. 9, 2012

areaseven

I couldn't care less for another telling of the origin of Spidey but that trailer actually makes me want to see it. Sad thing is that Parker looks too emo. I can probably kiss a funny wisecracking Spider-man goodbye. Too bad since I already found the Raimi one too whiny.

Edited by Twoducks

• 4 months later...

More news roundups:

Poster:

spidt.jpg

Link 1, Link 2

Official site: http://theamazingspiderman.com/

Official synopsis:

Like most teenagers his age, Peter is trying to figure out who he is and how he got to be the person he is today. In his journey to put the pieces of his past together he uncovers a secret that his father held...a secret that will ultimately shape his destiny as Spider-Man. This is the first in a series of movies that tells a different side of the Peter Parker story. On July 3rd, 2012, the untold story begins. And starring Andrew Garfield (Peter Parker), Emma Stone (Gwen Stacy), Denis Leary (George Stacy), Rhys Ifans (Curt Conners), Martin Sheen (Ben Parker), and Sally Field (May Parker), directed by Marc Webb, The Amazing Spider-Man movie is swinging into theaters in IMAX 3D!

And promo pics:

spiderman_wp_01_widescreen.jpg

spiderman_wp_04_standard.jpg

_tempspiderman_wp_03_widescreen.jpg

_tempspiderman_wp_02_widescreen.jpg

If you can't see, Link 1, Link 2, Link 3

Sally Field as Aunt May? Good grief! I remember when she had such a cute bum in those jeans in Smokey and The Bandit. Gawd, I must officially be an old dude!

Asides from the car, Sally Field's cute little ass is the only thing I remember from that movie...

• 1 month later...

Ha ha Denis Leary. Guy was a riot in Rescue Me. Anyway I enjoyed the Toby-Spiderman (with excpetion to the last movie) so this thing better be good; good enough to convince me a reboot was needed...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who doesn't really get the story?

Was Peter's father background ever an issue? They were gone. His Aunt & Uncle raised him and the Spider bite was just an accident. Now he has daddy issues?

I never thought the Lizard was a interesting bad guy. Gwen was a boring girl friend.

"Hey kid look at my face. Now I must kill you and your father"

...Was Peter's father background ever an issue? They were gone. His Aunt & Uncle raised him and the Spider bite was just an accident. Now he has daddy issues?

Not really. Their fate has been kinda left untouched. And for the most part, Peter was fine without them. The defining point in Peter's life was the death of Uncle Ben so I'm not sure why they are playing up the parent issues for this movie. I never read the Ultimate-version of the character so I don't know if it was played up there.

Not really. Their fate has been kinda left untouched. And for the most part, Peter was fine without them. The defining point in Peter's life was the death of Uncle Ben so I'm not sure why they are playing up the parent issues for this movie. I never read the Ultimate-version of the character so I don't know if it was played up there.

There was a point in time where they did bring up the fact Peter's parents were some sort of special agents who were killed and he wound up getting caught up in it. In the Ultimate-version his Dad was a scientist. They've kinda cherry-picked between different universes with this one from what I can tell. It's not so much "Daddy issues" as it is that he never knew his parents and is curious about them.

I don't think tampering with his origins will affect the story either

way. That link talks about how Parker is an awkward youth that receives

his powers by chance and must deal with the responsibility of those

abilities. Well, Parker still is, from what I can tell of the preview, an

awkward youth that receives powers unexpectedly and must deal with the

responsibility of those abilities. Of course, that's just my opinion and

I'm not educated on Spider-lore, so maybe I'm wrong, but whether those powers

are by birth or by design "I" think is irrelevant...

Edited by myk

The change in origin does change the character's motivation and theme of the overall story.

Superman and Luke Skywalker were destined to be heroes. Spiderman gain his powers through accident and became a hero to make up for his own mistake. There is something more meaningful about someone who becomes a hero by choice than by fate.